The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #351
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

thanks Obama!

Top official warns shutdown is 'dreamland' for foreign intel services

With 70 percent of National Security Agency employees currently furloughed because of the government shutdown, top intelligence officials warned Congress Wednesday that the ongoing funding lapse could be putting national security at risk.
"The damage will be insidious," Director of National Intelligence James Clapper said at a hearing of the Senate Judiciary Committee. "Each day that goes by, the jeopardy increases. This is a dreamland for foreign intelligence services to recruit."

The warning was enough to warrant alarm from members of both sides of the aisle.

"You scared the hell out of us!" Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C. said.
Lawmakers – who appeared incredulous at the percentage of NSA employees not currently on the job – urged Clapper to immediately contact the president about furlough relief.

Clapper and NSA Director General Keith Alexander said that NSA is staffing on a day-to-day basis as the shutdown continues into its second day with no clear path for Congress to end the standoff.

While Clapper said he considers all intelligence workers essential, shutdown standards require they staff according to "imminent threat.”

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2...vices#comments
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #352
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

the GOP is ****ed

Hispanics Grow Cool to G.O.P., Poll Finds

AUSTIN, Tex. — A new survey shows that Hispanics, the nation’s largest minority group, have grown increasingly negative toward the Republican Party during the political battle over changing immigration law and lean surprisingly liberal on social issues like gay marriage — a combination of factors that presents a steep challenge for Republicans in trying to win back Hispanic voters. More than 6 in 10 Hispanic respondents said they felt closer to the Democratic Party than they had in the past, while only 3 in 10 said they felt closer to the Republican Party. When Hispanics were asked to offer descriptions of the parties, 48 percent of the responses about the Republicans were negative associations like “intolerant” and “out of touch,” while 22 percent of the responses for the Democrats were negative.
The outlook for Republicans has grown increasingly negative since 2004, when President George W. Bush won re-election with 44 percent of the Hispanic vote. The survey, released Friday by the Public Religion Research Institute, a nonprofit research group in Washington, found that 56 percent of registered Hispanic voters identified with the Democrats, while 19 percent said they identified with Republicans, and 19 percent as independents.

The religious identities of Hispanics are also changing, with 69 percent saying they grew up Catholic, but only 53 percent saying they identify as Catholic now. Those saying they are evangelical Protestants have increased by six percentage points to 13 percent. But Hispanics, like Americans as a whole, are increasingly claiming no religion at all: 7 percent of Hispanics say they were raised in a faith but now have no religious affiliation, bringing the total percentage of Hispanics with no religion to 12 percent.

Robert P. Jones, the chief executive of the institute, said in an interview: “If these trends continue, what we’ll see is a growing polarization among Hispanics, anchored on one end by evangelicals, who tend to be conservative, and on the other end by religiously unaffiliated Hispanics. The unaffiliated voted for Obama by 80 percent, so you see really different political profiles.”

Conservatives have often claimed that Hispanics are a natural constituency for the Republican Party because they care about what the party considers family values. This holds true on abortion, with 52 percent saying abortion should be illegal in all or most cases, and 47 percent saying it should be legal. But on same-sex marriage, 55 percent of Hispanics favor allowing gay and lesbian couples to marry, compared with 43 percent who are opposed.

And Hispanics in the poll said they were far more likely to vote for candidates based on their stances on immigration than on their stance on abortion or gay marriage.

The parties’ handling of immigration has been a major factor swaying Hispanics’ allegiances. In the survey, 42 percent of Hispanics said that Democrats were better able to deal with immigration, while 16 percent said Republicans would do better.

But in a finding that could be tantalizing for both parties, 21 percent of Hispanics polled said neither party is best able to handle immigration, and 17 percent said both parties are equally able to deal with immigration. About one in five registered Hispanic voters and more than one-third of Hispanic citizens who are not registered to vote said they were independents, suggesting they might be up for grabs between the parties.

Latinos named health care as one of their primary concerns, and they were sharply divided on President Obama’s health care law. Nearly half, 48 percent, said they would support repealing the law, while 47 percent opposed repeal, a finding that could be promising for Republicans battling that law.

Hispanics in the poll had strong ideas about resolving illegal immigration. Sixty-seven percent of Latinos surveyed said unauthorized immigrants in the country should be allowed to become American citizens if they meet certain requirements. Only 17 percent said they should be allowed to become legal permanent residents but not citizens. An even smaller number, 10 percent, said they should be deported.

In June, the Senate passed a broad immigration bill that includes a path to citizenship for all of an estimated 11.7 million immigrants here illegally. Republican leaders in the House said they would not take up that measure but that they could act on smaller bills that would strengthen enforcement and make other fixes to the system. Some Republicans have said they would consider legal status for illegal immigrants, but without any path to citizenship.

Half of Hispanic adults are immigrants born outside the United States. But in contrast to widespread perceptions that many Latinos are here illegally and do not speak English well, the report cites census data showing that two-thirds of Hispanic adults are United States citizens and about two-thirds either speak English primarily or are bilingual.

The poll was conducted between Aug. 23 and Sept. 3 and was released at a conference of religion news writers in Austin. Online interviews were conducted in English and Spanish with 1,563 Hispanic adults, citizens and noncitizens, who were part of the GfK KnowledgePanel, a nationally representative probability sample of Americans, and the margin of sampling error is plus or minus four percentage points.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/28/us...m-the-gop.html
Old 10-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #353
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs11 View Post
thanks Obama!

Top official warns shutdown is 'dreamland' for foreign intel services

With 70 percent of National Security Agency employees currently furloughed because of the government shutdown, top intelligence officials warned Congress Wednesday that the ongoing funding lapse could be putting national security at risk.
"The damage will be insidious," Director of National Intelligence James Clapper said at a hearing of the Senate Judiciary Committee. "Each day that goes by, the jeopardy increases. This is a dreamland for foreign intelligence services to recruit."

The warning was enough to warrant alarm from members of both sides of the aisle.

"You scared the hell out of us!" Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C. said.
Lawmakers – who appeared incredulous at the percentage of NSA employees not currently on the job – urged Clapper to immediately contact the president about furlough relief.

Clapper and NSA Director General Keith Alexander said that NSA is staffing on a day-to-day basis as the shutdown continues into its second day with no clear path for Congress to end the standoff.

While Clapper said he considers all intelligence workers essential, shutdown standards require they staff according to "imminent threat.”

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2...vices#comments
If information minister Clapper is telling the truth this time it'll be the first time.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #354
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBII View Post
If information minister Clapper is telling the truth this time it'll be the first time.
If he's not, it means the NSA is bloated and we can cut it by about 70%.

I'll support that.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #355
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
If he's not, it means the NSA is bloated and we can cut it by about 70%.

I'll support that.
I agree with the above, but I think the implication of the OP is that with all the agents on furlough, they are "easy pickings" to get flipped by foreign intelligence agencies.

"Each day that goes by, the jeopardy increases. This is a dreamland for foreign intelligence services to recruit."
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #356
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I wonder if the NSA is still spying on us?

That stuff is probably all automated.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #357
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
This reinforces the belief that the Tea Party idiots are afraid ACA will work and be popular, instead of the disaster they are predicting.
Speaking only for me, the last thing I'm afraid of is Obamacare working. Political and economic physics make that impossible. I have zero fears of it working.

My fear has more to do with the economic reality that happens in 3 years when the costs of corporate insurance has risen so much that it just makes business sense to dump workers onto the exchanges. That's the inevitable day that I'm afraid of.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #358
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Taco,Your boy Boner worked behind the scenes to make sure his hill buddies got the subsidies for obamacare,while at the same time attempting to defund it.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/polit...are-subsidies#
Old 10-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #359
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Taco,Your boy Boner worked behind the scenes to make sure his hill buddies got the subsidies for obamacare,while at the same time attempting to defund it.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/polit...are-subsidies#
He's not my boy. He's an old guard Republican who doesn't really know what he's doing. Your link isn't news to me, and only demonstrates why we're cleaning house on this side of the aisle.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #360
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

"Defunding Obamacare. Can It Happen?"

Nope.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #361
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Speaking only for me, the last thing I'm afraid of is Obamacare working. Political and economic physics make that impossible. I have zero fears of it working.

My fear has more to do with the economic reality that happens in 3 years when the costs of corporate insurance has risen so much that it just makes business sense to dump workers onto the exchanges. That's the inevitable day that I'm afraid of.
There has been a lot of scare mongering about the effect Obamacare will have on businesses.

First, it only applies to businesses with 50 or more employees, which is about 4% of corporations........most of which already offer healthcare coverage. The other 96% can now offer healthcare cheaper than they can today.

Forbes:

Quote:
Companies with fewer than 50 employees do not have to provide insurance, but the new law will make it easier and cheaper if they do.

Businesses with 50 or more employees must provide health insurance or pay a penalty. If the business fails to comply, the penalty is $2,000 for each full-time employee (with a 30-employee deduction.) Additionally, if the coverage offered is too expensive (defined as costing more than 9.5 percent of the employee’s household income), the penalty is $3,000 per employee who must buy insurance with a government subsidy. However, only 200,000 small businesses will be affected by these changes because over 96 percent of small businesses fall below the 50-employee threshold.

Companies with up to 100 employees can benefit from the option of buying lower cost health insurance through employer-only exchanges, also set up by each state. This might also reduce costs for smaller firms if they add their employees to a much larger pool of insurance customers.

Overall, the ACA brings a mixture of rules and benefits, but there is nothing to suggest that the healthcare shake up will hinder job creation and economic growth. In fact, it could inject order into the unruly medical marketplace if the administration explains benefits and requirements simply and clearly.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/groupthi...-businesses/2/
We have no way of knowing if Obamacare will deliver as written. Legislation so sweeping and complex will most certainly need tweaking, which is what the GOP and Dems should be doing now, not shutting down Government in a childish tantrum to appease the far right.

If it works, it's the Tea Party's worst fear, if it fails, the Dems will lose the next election. Let it happen, iron out the bugs as we go and let's see if the US can finally get healthcare costs and coverage under control.

It's way past due.

Last edited by DenverBrit; 10-03-2013 at 07:17 AM..
Old 10-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #362
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
There has been a lot of scare mongering about the effect Obamacare will have on businesses.

First, it only applies to businesses with 50 or more employees, which is about 4% of corporations........most of which already offer healthcare coverage. The other 96% can now offer healthcare cheaper than they can today.

Forbes:

We have no way of knowing if Obamacare will deliver as written. Legislation so sweeping and complex will most certainly need tweaking, which is what the GOP and Dems should be doing now, not shutting down Government in a childish tantrum to appease the far right.

If it works, it's the Tea Party's worst fear, if it fails, the Dems will lose the next election. Let it happen, iron out the bugs as we go and let's see if the US can finally get healthcare costs and coverage under control.

It's way past due.
It seems to me that the major problem with the health care system in America is that it has become an entrenched gouge-a-thon. At every level, scores of middlemen, from the local clinic administrators to the insurance companies to Big Pharma at the top, want to carve their pound of flesh from the fatted pig. In this case, the fatted pig happens to be the American consumer. The abuse has become a chronic condition. And when the bill payer is the government, the greed goes into overdrive.

And it's not just health care where this attitude prevails.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #363
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
He's not my boy. He's an old guard Republican who doesn't really know what he's doing. Your link isn't news to me, and only demonstrates why we're cleaning house on this side of the aisle.
Your party just doesn't know when it's won. the budget agreed to by the dems is already at the level that Paul Ryan proposed.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #364
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Legislation so sweeping and complex will most certainly need tweaking, which is what the GOP and Dems should be doing now, not shutting down Government in a childish tantrum to appease the far right.
This is what is largely left out of this whole "conversation" but should be the main thrust of it. I'd have some respect for the GOP if they were pushing for changes to ACA instead of trying to kill it.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #365
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
This is what is largely left out of this whole "conversation" but should be the main thrust of it. I'd have some respect for the GOP if they were pushing for changes to ACA instead of trying to kill it.
Especially since it was based on conservative model to begin with
Old 10-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #366
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
They're trying to delay the individual mandate. Just as Obama already (illegally) did for the employer mandate and health insurers' policy caps.

They're not seeking to change the aca any more than Obama already has. Team Obama just doesn't like the optics of conceding anything on Obamacare to its critics. So they've drawn another phony red line around Ocare saying its impossible to change, even as they've already done so unilaterally (and lawlessly)

Last edited by BroncoBeavis; 10-03-2013 at 09:34 AM..
Old 10-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #367
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Republicans did not do nearly well enough in the last election to enact legislation that would repeal Obamacare. In order to repeal that law and attempt an effective reform of our health-care system along conservative lines, they will need to do better in the next election and the one to follow. To that end, they can take several kinds of steps with regard to Obamacare in the meantime: steps that would weaken the law (by highlighting its faults or disabling some of its elements) and ultimately make it easier to replace; steps that would weaken the law’s supporters (by further connecting them to the law in the public’s mind and forcing them to defend its least popular elements) and ultimately make them easier to replace; and steps that would strengthen the law’s opponents (by clearly identifying them as opponents of an unpopular measure and champions of a more appealing approach) and help them gain more public support.

In my view (shared with all who would listen to no avail, for what it’s worth) the original defund strategy was not well suited to doing any of these things.
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...te-yuval-levin
Old 10-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #368
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Wow, I am being surprised over and over again today with some examples of sanity and honesty in the right wing media:

Quote:
Basically, I think we’re screwed, at least for now. We need members of the defund caucus to step back from the brink. But they have every reason to believe that their stance will redound to their political benefit in their districts. The Republican leadership has few if any tools with which to discipline members of the defund caucus, as individual members have their own fundraising networks and there are no earmarks to be parceled out. The only way out of this trap appears to be a long, slow learning process.
http://www.nationalreview.com/agenda...e-reihan-salam
Old 10-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #369
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
They're trying to deadly the individual mandate. Just as Obama already (illegally) did for the employer mandate and health insurers' policy caps.

They're not seeking to change the aca any more than Obama already has. Team Obama just doesn't like the optics of conceding anything on Obamacare to its critics. So they've drawn another phony red line around Ocare saying its impossible to change, even as they've already done so unilaterally (and lawlessly)
Since when did shutting down Government become the way forward to change law? The ACA passed both houses and was upheld by the Supreme court, but that's not good enough for the Tea Party, they want it squashed no matter how much damage they do to the country.

These idiots aren't working to improve the economy, they are deliberately sabotaging it. McConnell's pledge to make Obama a one term POTUS was the opening shot at ensuring the country's economy failed.

Supporting these simple minded, ideologues is idiocy, why would you do so??
Old 10-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #370
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Some do want to change it, the problem is the cowardice of the GOP as they bow to the Tea Party in another demonstration that party comes before country.

The system is broken, sanity needs to be restored and the extremists expunged.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #371
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Quote:
Especially since it was based on conservative model to begin with
Then why did it have zero votes from the Repubs. Has anything else ever passed into law without a single vote from one of the parties?
Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #372
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Since when did shutting down Government become the way forward to change law? The ACA passed both houses and was upheld by the Supreme court, but that's not good enough for the Tea Party, they want it squashed no matter how much damage they do to the country.

These idiots aren't working to improve the economy, they are deliberately sabotaging it. McConnell's pledge to make Obama a one term POTUS was the opening shot at ensuring the country's economy failed.

Supporting these simple minded, ideologues is idiocy, why would you do so??
So on what grounds do you support the President setting aside the particular mandates he did. Other than being an eager Royal subject, I mean.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #373
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
So on what grounds do you support the President setting aside the particular mandates he did. Other than being an eager Royal subject, I mean.
On what grounds was Bush able to extend TARP funds to GM and Chrysler?

It's called selective enforcement, and, as has been stated many times, it has been around since the founding of the country.

If you don't like it, do something about it. I would suggest starting a letter writing campaign or donating to a grassroots campaign to overhaul the executive branch.

Or you can keep whining about it on a message board.

houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #374
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
I don't. If the GOP has an issue with it, deal with it, but not by shutting down government.

As for your 'royal subject' comment.....don't be more of an ass than you usually are.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #375
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I don't. If the GOP has an issue with it, deal with it, but not by shutting down government.

As for your 'royal subject' comment.....don't be more of an ass than you usually are.
The GOP specifically passed legislation to legitimize the delays his highness enacted. He felt it beneath him and ignored it.

In that environment, tell me how its possible for an opposition to negotiate meaningful change.