The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #26
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Please. You don't get grades for poverty stricken children to raise by saying "if you don't get good grades, you don't eat!" How ****ing ignorant.

And as far as "intellectually practical" goes, it's about as "intellectual" and "practical" as saying "eat the poor".

There is literally no intellect involved there, to say nothing of compassion.
Speaking intellectually is to speak without compassion. And it is practical. Again, you guys are speaking from a position of emotion. Which has gotten us to this point. See it's a all a matter of motivation. If you don't motivate people and incentivize waste, don't be surprised when you're sitting in a pile.

Last edited by Garcia Bronco; 09-20-2013 at 12:31 PM..
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #27
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blart View Post
Well I guess before I judge it, I'd have to hear your solution. Second, has this solution been attempted anywhere, and what were the results?

Before unleashing a new idea on a society as large as the USA, it would be preferable to test it on smaller populations.
Well put.

I'd just like to say again, I'm in favor of defunding the military, even though I have nothing to replace it.

That's about as dumb as this pea-brained idea.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #28
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blart View Post
When I was a toddler I built my own pre-school and paid for my own teachers. I bought a car for my parents, I built the roads so they could drive me to school, and paid for their healthcare to insure they were healthy enough to drive.
That's not what I mean by the term "self-made man".

I swear debating with some of you is like playing cards with my sisters kids.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #29
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Speaking intellectually is to speak without compassion. And it is practical. Again, you guys are speaking from a position of emotion. Which has gotten us to this point. See it's a all a matter of motivation.
Being incompassionate is being unemotional? Some of the most uncaring, stupid people in history were highly emotional: adam lanza, aaron alexis, ayn rand.

Quote:
If you don't motivate people and incentivize waste, don't be surprised when you're sitting in a pile.
That's rhetoric. I can spout rhetoric too. If you don't educate, cure, or treat people with dignity, don't be surprised if they produce garbage.

As a purely emotional creature full of whimsy and flights of fancy, I'd like to see some evidence supporting your position.
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #30
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Obviously I am talking about their parents.

What I am talking about is intellectually practical solution. Is it perfect? No. Are there winners and losers? Sure. Is there are better way? Maybe. However, you are talking emotionally. Being emotional creates problems, it rarely helps.
I'm not being emotional at all. I'm asking about the practicality of punishing children for their parent's inability to take care of them. What economic or social problem do you think that solves?

What are you going to test 2 year olds on to make them earn their way?
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #31
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Speaking intellectually is to speak without compassion. And it is practical. Again, you guys are speaking from a position of emotion. Which has gotten us to this point. See it's a all a matter of motivation. If you don't motivate people and incentivize waste, don't be surprised when you're sitting in a pile.

No you're speaking from a position of absurdity. Again, what are you doing to do to make a 2 year old earn his keep?

hint: the reason children are treated like children is because they are not yet capable of taking care of themselves.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #32
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I know. We can ration 2 years old's welfare benefits based on how many times they mess their diapers!

More than two diapers a day? Clearly you're not being a responsible toddler and also obviously getting to much to eat and drink. 50% cut.

Last edited by Fedaykin; 09-20-2013 at 02:23 PM..
Old 09-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #33
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Hey little sally, you're behind. All the other kids have learned how which blocks fit through the holes. No lunch for you until you figure it out!
Old 09-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #34
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Hey timmy. You failed your spelling test. That's really bad. We'll be setting the thermostat to 55 degrees until you improve!
Old 09-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #35
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Do you get extra points for overachievement? For instance if I potty train my 2 year old early, does he or she get MORE food? Is this measured in dollars or product? Do they have to consume it or can they bequeath it to others? I could see the potential of my kid being incentivized to perform well and then sell their extra food to the stupid kids. Self made man right there!

God, what an idiot. There are no words. I can only hope he was a product of home schooling, otherwise...yeesh.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #36
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
That's not what I mean by the term "self-made man".

I swear debating with some of you is like playing cards with my sisters kids.
Yeah, except we're playing bridge and you're saying, "You got any 4's?"

Old 09-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #37
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

You can treat children like crap. No problem. Starve them. Beat them. Discard them. Ignore them. Whatever.

Just make sure you build plenty of prisons.

You'll be needing them down the road.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #38
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
Actually high parents are checked out parents and that is child neglect. Way to stand up for child abuse.
Tell that to any parent who has ever had surgery. So when my mom had foot surgery when I was 10 and had to take pain pills I was being neglected?

Wow, you're pretty dense.