The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
I. HATE. THE. OFFSEASON!
 
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun's Avatar
 
Time to believe!

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Gensis Planet
Posts: 6,255

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson
Default Bills Would Require Michiganders To Work For Welfare, Pass Drug Test

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/09/...k-for-welfare/

Quote:
LANSING (WWJ) - Could this mean the end of welfare as we know it?

A bill has passed in the Michigan Senate that would require those receiving public assistance to do some “volunteer” work. Another bill, which passed the House Commerce Committee, requires drug testing, revoking benefits for welfare recipients who refuse the test or who test positive.

“What [the legislation] does, it says, in order for your to receive your cash assistance, your welfare check, you must provide some kind of community service to the community,” said the volunteer work bill’s sponsor, State Senator Joe Hune, who represents Livingston and Shiawasse counties in Mid-Michigan.

Hune says he was inspired by a constituent who began to volunteer while on welfare — and that community service evolved into full employment.

“The whole intention is to make certain folks have some skin in the game, and I don’t feel that there’s any problem with making folks go out and do some kind of community service in order to receive their cash assistance,” Hune said.

State Sen. Vincent Gregory, D-Southfield, thinks the bills take aim at people who are already suffering their lowest moments.


“These people, they already need as much money as they can get, they wouldn’t be asking for it if they didn’t need it,” he said. “It seems that this philosophy that everyone must have skin in the game, you know, it’s like you may have some financial issues, you may be down and out … That kind of philosophy to me — if you’re healthy bodied, I can see it — but for a lot of people, I just think that it is very intrusive.”

How, specifically, would the programs work? Hune said he purposely designed the bill to be ambiguous.

“We … kind of left it up to the Department of Human Services to implement it, kind of how they see fit,” said Hune. “Sometimes when the legislature puts something in action and puts too many details in place, there can be problems with the system.”

The legislation would not affect those on food stamps.

The volunteer bill now heads to the House of Representatives’ Families, Children and Seniors Committee, while the drug testing bill heads to the full House for a vote.

“A lot of people are embarrassed to even be there (asking for benefits), and they have this put on them — It’s this feeling that ‘This is what the public wants.’ But the public doesn’t want to see people beaten down,” Gregory said.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 53,908

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

They should call it the Works Progess Administration.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
I agree with much of this, but not the drug test part.

Michigan is a medicinal marijuana state. You cannot say "your doctor can prescribe you medicine...but if you take it you can't be on welfare."

It is either a legitimate medicine or it is not. The people have spoken. It is no one's business...it violates patient doctor privilege.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,902

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Saying no TANF (i.e the cash assistance these bills are targeting) for you if you're a druggie is something I could easily get behind -- if the people receiving welfare were only able bodied adults. But, as the right loves to ignore when they rail against welfare, the overwhelming majority of people receiving TANF cash assistance are children and the caregivers of children.

Some quick stats (2010) about the target of this legislation:

Number of TANF recipients: 4.3 million
Number of ADULT TANF recipients: 1.1m (0.3% of the U.S. population)
Number of adult TANF recipients who did not have children dependents: 2.3% (or, about 25,000 people nationwide)
Number of CHILD TANF recipients: 3.2 million (1% of U.S. population)

How does punishing children for their parent's/caregiver's problems suit anyone's interests?

How does forcing a single mother on welfare to have to pay for child care while he's doing "volunteer work" solve _any_ problem?

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ofa/...hap10-ys-final
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 53,908

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Saying no TANF (i.e the cash assistance these bills are targeting) for you if you're a druggie is something I could easily get behind -- if the people receiving welfare were only able bodied adults. But, as the right loves to ignore when they rail against welfare, the overwhelming majority of people receiving TANF cash assistance are children and the caregivers of children.

Some quick stats (2010) about the target of this legislation:

Number of TANF recipients: 4.3 million
Number of ADULT TANF recipients: 1.1m (0.3% of the U.S. population)
Number of adult TANF recipients who did not have children dependents: 2.3% (or, about 25,000 people nationwide)
Number of CHILD TANF recipients: 3.2 million (1% of U.S. population)

How does punishing children for their parent's/caregiver's problems suit anyone's interests?

How does forcing a single mother on welfare to have to pay for child care while he's doing "volunteer work" solve _any_ problem?

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ofa/...hap10-ys-final
"Are there no prisons?" asked Scrooge.

"Plenty of prisons," said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

"And the Union workhouses?" demanded Scrooge. "Are they still in operation?"

"They are. Still," returned the gentleman, "I wish I could say they were not."

"The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?" said Scrooge.

"Both very busy, sir."

"Oh! I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course," said Scrooge. "I'm very glad to hear it."
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46,773

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

It's not good policy to incentivize pregnancy amongst those without the tools to be parents and who generally are a drain on society. My plan would be very different and none of you would support it, but it would take care of the problem.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 53,908

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
It's not good policy to incentivize pregnancy amongst those without the tools to be parents and who generally are a drain on society. My plan would be very different and none of you would support it, but it would take care of the problem.
Euthanasia has been tried before. People get squeamish about it.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46,773

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Euthanasia has been tried before. People get squeamish about it.
I am aware and no, not that. I would however institute work program with harsh penalties for non-compliance. No work, no money.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
Rigs11
Ring of Famer
 
Rigs11's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,558
Default

I say propose a bill to build that fence on the border that the righties want, then open up some job openings and see how many of these welfare recipients apply for them. put them to work.
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,902

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I am aware and no, not that. I would however institute work program with harsh penalties for non-compliance. No work, no money.
Again, what's served by punishing children for their parent's faults? And again, how does making a single mother work, more or less guaranteeing that she will have to spend almost all the money she receives on childcare, solve any problem?
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46,773

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Again, what's served by punishing children for their parent's faults? And again, how does making a single mother work, more or less guaranteeing that she will have to spend almost all the money she receives on childcare, solve any problem?
Because that's their lot in life for the decisions they make. My point is there has to be consequences. But it's not just money they get. They can get section 8 housing, free food, and a number other benefit. I would also make the child's, barring any mental problems, welfare based on their grades. They have to earn it. I don't want to leave children out in the cold, but I am tired of paying for this endless cycle of poverty.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #12
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Because that's their lot in life for the decisions they make. My point is there has to be consequences. But it's not just money they get. They can get section 8 housing, free food, and a number other benefit. I would also make the child's, barring any mental problems, welfare based on their grades. They have to earn it. I don't want to leave children out in the cold, but I am tired of paying for this endless cycle of poverty.
Their lot in life for the decisions their parents made, you mean. Wow, you're heartless.

You're just another person who has never known need.

Do a little research on grades and achievement of the underprivileged and get back to us.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #13
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,902

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Because that's their lot in life for the decisions they make. My point is there has to be consequences. But it's not just money they get. They can get section 8 housing, free food, and a number other benefit. I would also make the child's, barring any mental problems, welfare based on their grades. They have to earn it. I don't want to leave children out in the cold, but I am tired of paying for this endless cycle of poverty.
Yep, because children choose who they are born too. Damn idiots should have chosen rich parents!
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Yep, because children choose who they are born too. Damn idiots should have chosen rich parents!
I've got it! We can call it the "Your Cross To Bear Act"!

smh
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #15
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
I. HATE. THE. OFFSEASON!
 
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun's Avatar
 
Time to believe!

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Gensis Planet
Posts: 6,255

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson
Default

Awwww.... you guys trout out the kids. So you guys think that kids should have to say with high parents. Great stand guys!
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #16
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
Awwww.... you guys trout out the kids. So you guys think that kids should have to say with high parents. Great stand guys!
What's the difference between being high on prescription Vicodin, Prozac or OG Kush? It's not your business what has been decided between a doctor and a patient. As a conservative I thought you were all about the government staying out of people's lives, and doctor/patient privilege is a long standing pillar of medicine.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #17
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
I. HATE. THE. OFFSEASON!
 
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun's Avatar
 
Time to believe!

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Gensis Planet
Posts: 6,255

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
What's the difference between being high on prescription Vicodin, Prozac or OG Kush? It's not your business what has been decided between a doctor and a patient. As a conservative I thought you were all about the government staying out of people's lives, and doctor/patient privilege is a long standing pillar of medicine.
Actually high parents are checked out parents and that is child neglect. Way to stand up for child abuse.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #18
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46,773

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Their lot in life for the decisions their parents made, you mean. Wow, you're heartless.

You're just another person who has never known need.

Do a little research on grades and achievement of the underprivileged and get back to us.
. I am self-made man. I've needed and I went out and earned on my own body, mind and spirit. Again, as long as we as a society incentivize pregnancies of the poor, we will continue to exacerbate the problem. I know what their grades are and that's why we'd get them to where they need to be.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #19
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!
 
Blart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,910

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time
Default

Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #20
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46,773

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Yep, because children choose who they are born too. Damn idiots should have chosen rich parents!
Obviously I am talking about their parents.

What I am talking about is intellectually practical solution. Is it perfect? No. Are there winners and losers? Sure. Is there are better way? Maybe. However, you are talking emotionally. Being emotional creates problems, it rarely helps.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #21
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!
 
Blart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,910

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I am self-made man.
When I was a toddler I built my own pre-school and paid for my own teachers. I bought a car for my parents, I built the roads so they could drive me to school, and paid for their healthcare to insure they were healthy enough to drive.
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #22
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!
 
Blart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,910

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Being emotional creates problems, it rarely helps.
Talk evidence then. Show me where a country has implemented your draconian plan of abandoning great swaths of society, and suddenly saw it flourish.

I can show you the opposite.
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #23
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
. I am self-made man. I've needed and I went out and earned on my own body, mind and spirit. Again, as long as we as a society incentivize pregnancies of the poor, we will continue to exacerbate the problem. I know what their grades are and that's why we'd get them to where they need to be.
Please. You don't get grades for poverty stricken children to raise by saying "if you don't get good grades, you don't eat!" How ****ing ignorant.

And as far as "intellectually practical" goes, it's about as "intellectual" and "practical" as saying "eat the poor".

There is literally no intellect involved there, to say nothing of compassion.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #24
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46,773

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blart View Post
Talk evidence then. Show me where a country has implemented your draconian plan of abandoning great swaths of society, and suddenly saw it flourish.

I can show you the opposite.


First of we aren't abandoning everyone. What we're trying to do is change behavior and increase education. That's the way you combat this problem. However at first, the measures would seem harsh, but it has to be done. 1 million people don't matter at the cost of hundreds of millions more. We're talking about making a decision at a high level. You seem to struggle with those concepts.


To put it better. If you were the Captain of ship and we're place with a decision to save some people or no people. Which would you decide?
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #25
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!
 
Blart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,910

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
First of we aren't abandoning everyone. What we're trying to do is change behavior and increase education. That's the way you combat this problem. However at first, the measures would seem harsh, but it has to be done. 1 million people don't matter at the cost of hundreds of millions more. We're talking about making a decision at a high level. You seem to struggle with those concepts.


To put it better. If you were the Captain of ship and we're place with a decision to save some people or no people. Which would you decide?
Well I guess before I judge it, I'd have to hear your solution. Second, has this solution been attempted anywhere, and what were the results?

Before unleashing a new idea on a society as large as the USA, it would be preferable to test it on smaller populations.
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:20 AM.


Denver Broncos