The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf
Default Thoughts on the game

First, some of you know that I'm an ex-line guy, so that is what I always focus on. Ramirez did a good job of pass blocking. Beadles struggled all night long when 1-1 against Canty. Franklin had some moments, but was solid. Clady and Vasquez were steller. I won't go into the run blocking as it was awful. Any time you can't run against a 2-4-5 (which is what they were basically running) you have problems. Unfortunately, I expect that to be a problem all year.

Second, our secondary is awesome. I was going to the kitchen during the game to get a beer and I was hit by Nacho. Thankfully, I managed to save the beer. He needs work in pass defense though. DRC and Champ is going to be a great combo. I love Chris Harris. Rahim Moore was invisible, which is a good thing.

Our LBs, sans a dumbass play by Trevathan, were solid but still struggled a bit with defending the pass. Woodyard had a great game, although I could tell he isn't a MLB. To many times he tried to get around a blocker to make the tackle instead of plugging the hole. With a steller secondary I expect to see offenses having to go intermediate/short routes against our LBs a lot this year.

D-line was great against the run, but as expected struggled to apply consistent pressure forcing Del Rio to blitz. Thankfully our secondary, and the fact their WRs/TEs are awful, was up to the task.

WRs/TEs....obviously a great game by everyone not named Eric Decker who I happen to own in fantasy. WTF dude? Julius is obvioulsy in the game for his receiving skills as he is below average in blocking.

Peyton...not enough adjectives to describe my love. But then I realized my opponent this week in fantasy has DT and Peyton. MF

Last edited by Rascal; 09-06-2013 at 07:05 AM..
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
First, some of you know that I'm an ex-line guy, so that is what I always focus on. Ramirez did a good job of pass blocking. Beadles struggled all night long when 1-1 against Canty. Franklin had some moments, but was solid. Clady and Vasquez were steller. I won't go into the run blocking as it was awful. Any time you can't run against a 2-4-5 (which is what they were basically running) you have problems. Unfortunately, I expect that to be a problem all year.

Second, our secondary is awesome. I was going to the kitchen during the game to get a beer and I was hit by Nacho. Thankfully, I managed to save the beer. He needs work in pass defense though. DRC and Champ is going to be a great combo. I love Chris Harris. Rahim Moore was invisible, which is a good thing.

Our LBs, sans a dumbass play by Trevathan, were solid but still struggled a bit with defending the pass. Woodyard had a great game, although I could tell he isn't a MLB. To many times he tried to get around a blocker to make the tackle instead of plugging the hole. With a steller secondary I expect to see offenses having to go intermediate/short routes against our LBs a lot this year.

D-line was great against the run, but as expected struggled to apply consistent pressure forcing Del Rio to blitz. Thankfully our secondary, and the fact their WRs/TEs are awful, was up to the task.

WRs/TEs....obviously a great game by everyone not named Eric Decker who I happen to own in fantasy. WTF dude? Julius is obvioulsy in the game for his receiving skills has he is below average in blocking.

Peyton...not enough adjectives to describe my love. But then I realized my opponent this week in fantasy has DT and Peyton. MF
Agree with everything except your assessment on Moore. he had some good plays and had an amazing play on a 3rd down where he demolished the receiver who would have had a 1st down reception. Moore is a good player and I'm glad that he didn't let his mistake crush him.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportinOne View Post
Agree with everything except your assessment on Moore. he had some good plays and had an amazing play on a 3rd down where he demolished the receiver who would have had a 1st down reception. Moore is a good player and I'm glad that he didn't let his mistake crush him.
The destruction of Dwight Clark must have been the best feeling Moore has ever had. If you played football, then you know what that feels like.
Of course, if you played football, you more than likely know how both players felt after that hit. Giving out a hit like that is just the best feeling ever.
Moore played great.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Manning took a few more hits than I would like, but overall, the pass protection was quite good. The running game wasn't much, but when they could pass like that, it wasn't really needed.

Manning got sharp as the game kept going. Welker had some shaky spots to say the least, but he will be a tough matchup for most teams.

Julius Thomas is really impressing. Great size and speed to get down the field at TE. A TE that can do that has been missing from this offense for years.

The Bronco defense had their moments. They will have to manufacture and scheme a pass rush until Miller comes back. I did like how the CB's played and safeties as well. Nacho looks like a player and hard to believe wasn't drafted.

But if Woodyard is out, then big problems on defense, so let's hope he is going to be ok and ready to go.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
MABroncoFan
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
The destruction of Dwight Clark must have been the best feeling Moore has ever had. If you played football, then you know what that feels like.
Of course, if you played football, you more than likely know how both players felt after that hit. Giving out a hit like that is just the best feeling ever.
Moore played great.

Dwight Clark is playing again? What is he in his 60s?

Though Dallas Clark didn't look like Dallas Clark last night, wearing a number in the 80s. He has Dwight's number, doesn't he?
MABroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

I finally figured it out this is not a 1st half team. With Shanny he would study the opponent leading up to the game, draw up his script and on the weeks he didn't take off (mostly against NFC teams) we would be up 14 points and had taken the other team out of their gameplan.

With Manning, it is more like lets show this play and see how they react, it is all about reaction to the D. It is usually close at the Half (even 24 points is close these days fellas) and they go in to the locker room make their adjustments then come out in the 2nd half and run the court on them. Ravens were wiped out, guys on both O and D were not able to finish plays because they were tired, the D guesses, comes up into the box like on the last TD and we are able to have 2 OT's making blocks well down the field out running smaller faster guys on D.

It is a thing of beauty but we have to be as patient and calm as Manning is. Peyton is so professional that he keeps his head in games we should be out of and because of that he is able to slowly come back and make games close if not outright wins.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I'm a fan of his, but Vasquez was far from "stellar" last night.

OL performances week 1:

1. Ramirez (just needs to get his snaps higher)
2. Clady
3. Franklin
4. Vasquez
5. Beadles
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post

OL performances week 1:

2. Clady
3. Franklin
4. Vasquez
5. Beadles
His pass blocking was, at least from what I remember, but he, like everyone struggled run blocking.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
His pass blocking was, at least from what I remember, but he, like everyone struggled run blocking.
Ngata kicked the **** out of him. Such is life. He'll bounce back strong next week against much less dominant DTs.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
Ngata kicked the **** out of him. Such is life. He'll bounce back strong next week against much less dominant DTs.
Ngata kicks the **** out of everyone, but I don't recall him beating Vasquez when rushing the passer. I may be wrong.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #11
Agamemnon

Quote:
I won't go into the run blocking as it was awful. Any time you can't run against a 2-4-5 (which is what they were basically running) you have problems. Unfortunately, I expect that to be a problem all year.
The vast majority of our runs in the game came against an eight man box when we were trying to eat up time. Seriously, we had what, eight attempts all game outside of those situations? We had some decent runs on those very limited attempts by the way.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Ngata kicks the **** out of everyone, but I don't recall him beating Vasquez when rushing the passer. I may be wrong.
Thanks to Manny, no big passing impact plays beyond pressure. I don't THINK any hits/knockdowns, but I havent rewatched yet.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #13
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
The vast majority of our runs in the game came against an eight man box when we were trying to eat up time. Seriously, we had what, eight attempts all game outside of those situations? We had some decent runs on those very limited attempts by the way.
Wrong. 66% of our rushes came before the fourth quarter. Prior to the fourth quarter we had 14 runs. Finished the game with 21 attempts.

Last edited by Rascal; 09-06-2013 at 11:22 AM..
Old 09-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #14
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
Thanks to Manny, no big passing impact plays beyond pressure. I don't THINK any hits/knockdowns, but I havent rewatched yet.
I don't know the breakdown of how often Manny helped.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Moore played great.
It would have been a really weird feeling and criminal to demolish an old man like Dwight Clark. Dallas Clark on the other hand.......
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #16
OldschoolFreak
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Seriously, we had what, eight attempts all game outside of those situations? We had some decent runs on those very limited attempts by the way.
I thought Ball's first carry (the eight or so yard run in the redzone) was a respectable first NFL carry. The second one was too (good effort to get the first for 1st and Goal).

Normally I'd say I would have liked to see him get more than one call to punch it in but given Manning's historic game I'm ok with it.
OldschoolFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #17
Agamemnon

Quote:
Wrong. 66% of our rushes came before the fourth quarter. Prior to the fourth quarter we had 14 runs. Finished the game with 21 attempts.
You are right about the ratio but let's actually go look at those runs:

First the runs that came within the normal flow of our offense:

1st quarter:
Moreno for 1 yard
Moreno for 7 yards
Moreno for 6 yards
Hillman for 1 yard

2nd quarter:
Moreno for 3 yards
Moreno for -1 yards
Moreno for 2 yards
Moreno for 2 yards

3rd quarter:
Hillman for 7 yards
Hillman for 3 yards
Ball for 9 yards
Ball for 4 yards
Moreno for 1 yard
Hillman for 4 yards

4th quarter:
Moreno for 7 yards

That is 56 yards on 15 carries. Not spectacular but considering the ravens stout front not all that terrible either.

Now here is where we start showing Foxball tendencies with our run game (ie obvious power sets that allow the defense to key on the run):

Ball for 2 yards
Ball for 7 yards
Ball for -2 yards
Ball for 2 yards
Ball for 1 yard
Ball for 1 yard

I look at the breakdown above and I don't see a terrible run game. I see an average run game that met a stout defense, and then totally bombed its numbers to eat the clock at the end of the game. And really, as Ball improves so will our run game. I really wouldn't worry about it. Our run game is plenty good for what this offense needs.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #18
pricejj
jungle

Problem with Ball is he doesn't have the speed to turn the corner. All teams have to do is key on the cutback lane in between the OT and G to defend him well. He's going to have to get a lot craftier in his ability to pick open lanes at NFL speed.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #19
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
He was hit on a few plays. The scoring TD to OJ for one.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #20
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Problem with Ball is he doesn't have the speed to turn the corner. All teams have to do is key on the cutback lane in between the OT and G to defend him well. He's going to have to get a lot craftier in his ability to pick open lanes at NFL speed.
Ball's speed is fine. He's on par with Arian Foster or Alfred Morris in the speed department. I agree he needs to improve, but let's not pretend that our run blocking isn't highly questionable at this point. I guarantee you Ball's abilities would be blatantly obvious behind lines that can actually zone block worth a **** (ie Washington or Houston).
Old 09-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #21
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
He needs to learn the plays better and allow the game to slow down, he ran on the wrong side of Manning for one hand off that could have been a disaster. That just shows he didn't know the play or the audible or both.

Once things slow down for him on the field he will be fine, it just may take him time.

Plus the TD in 1995 was light years different from the TD 2 or even 1 years later.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #22
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportinOne View Post
Agreed. That hit on Clark was brutal. Also, I really liked the physicality the defense played with. Over the years we've been a liitle soft and reliant on speed. Hitting was a big focal point last night.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #23
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

OL performances week 1:

2. Clady
3. Franklin
4. Vasquez
5. Beadles
You're a god damn genius.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #24
wolf754life
Anti Homer Board Director

Sunshine and Rainbows Fanboys

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Del erious

post 1 in this thread is some of the hardest fanboy love of a defense you will ever read!
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #25
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf754life View Post
post 1 in this thread is some of the hardest fanboy love of a defense you will ever read!
This is from week 1, brighteyes