The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #26
shanananananahan
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

2005 was a really fun year, and it was always hilariously enjoyable to see Plummer nail the bootleg and heave it nowhere near deep enough for a Lelie who had outrun his coverage by a mile and a half. Dude always seemed to be standing way down the field, praying the ball would land in his hands before the defender had time to catch up with him.

As was said, he was one-dimensional. Dude was dominating in that dimension, though, and would have had a chance to get crazy with Cutler.

I never really understood the hate ex-players seem to get from people around here after they've left the team, as I generally just stop caring about them at that point. I guess I'm glad he's not destitute and is enjoying himself.
shanananananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #27
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Is it true that Lelie is applying to coach at another college because he wants to be paid like a #1?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #28
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanananananahan View Post
2005 was a really fun year, and it was always hilariously enjoyable to see Plummer nail the bootleg and heave it nowhere near deep enough for a Lelie who had outrun his coverage by a mile and a half. Dude always seemed to be standing way down the field, praying the ball would land in his hands before the defender had time to catch up with him.

As was said, he was one-dimensional. Dude was dominating in that dimension, though, and would have had a chance to get crazy with Cutler.

I never really understood the hate ex-players seem to get from people around here after they've left the team, as I generally just stop caring about them at that point. I guess I'm glad he's not destitute and is enjoying himself.
I don't think Jake ever hit him in stride.

I think Ashley's biggest play wasn't a catch but the drawing of a PI call vs the Pats in the divisional 2005 game. I think that got us up big before Jake could give it away.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #29
shanananananahan
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I think that got us up big before Jake could give it away.
It's like a guy can't even win a big playoff game around here without hypothetically 'giving it away'.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #30
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

I'm a big fan of Lelie and wish him all the best in coaching.

Best deep threat in years.

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #31
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I'm a big fan of Lelie and wish him all the best in coaching.

Best deep threat in years.
Figures. He made a huge mistake and he now admits it. His agent was a douche for not giving him the proper decision of having it good in Denver. Dude becomes the #2 (instead of his thinking of being a #1) in Atlanta and then he goes to SF where he is even deeper in the depth chart. We would have been looking good with Walker and Lelie as our WRs but he blew that plan.

You like those that most don't like. Add Lelie to the list.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #32
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Figures. He made a huge mistake and he now admits it. His agent was a douche for not giving him the proper decision of having it good in Denver. Dude becomes the #2 (instead of his thinking of being a #1) in Atlanta and then he goes to SF where he is even deeper in the depth chart. We would have been looking good with Walker and Lelie as our WRs but he blew that plan.

You like those that most don't like. Add Lelie to the list.
You are looking at it from the fan perspective only. In his view he put in the years of work and became a Good no. 2. The team wanted to move him to 3 in a contract year which would severely hurt his earning power. That it would be good for the team doesn't replace the earnings lost. That was the issue....that it was going to be done in what was otherwise a contract year. I don't blame him for being mad about it. Everyone has to look out for their interests firsts....the team and the player both.

Alot of people like to dog him but I found it interesting/amusing that Ashley was one of the very few to actually show up in the AFCCG.

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 09-18-2013 at 09:56 PM..
Old 09-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #33
shanananananahan
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I can't imagine having a mindset that would allow me to hold a grudge against a guy as easily forgotten as Ashley Lelie. Must be exhausting.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #34
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
You are looking at it from the fan perspective only. In his view he put in the years of work and became a Good no. 2. The team wanted to move him to 3 in a contract year which would severely hurt his earning power. That it would be good for the team doesn't replace the earnings lost. That was the issue....that it was going to be done in what was otherwise a contract year. I don't blame him for being mad about it. Everyone has to look out for their interests firsts....the team and the player both.

Alot of people like to dog him but I found it interesting/amusing that Ashley was one of the very few to actually show up in the AFCCG.
Are you high? He was moved to #2 and not #3 like you state. He wasn't moved to #2 because it was a contract year and we wanted to screw him (there you sneakily go again calling Bowlen cheap) out of a big contract. We brought in Walker because he was a better wide receiver and would help our game with both on the field. Lelie was high thinking he was all that and seems by your statement it was all about getting paid. He would have been paid nicely and it proves all of our points that he was nothing in Atlanta or SF. Infact, his last 3 seasons with 3 different teams (forgot he went to the Faiders where I am sure he thought the vertical game would be his saving grace), he only had 6 more cashes combined compared to his last season with Denver. HE ****ED UP! Did he want to get paid? Then he should have stuck around and be part of the community where he would probably get commercial and signing opportunities from fans that like him.

Instead, he went the ego route and went where no one would remember him as a Falcons, 49ers and a Raiders player.

SoCal, stop making **** up and come to the realization that he blew it and he even admits it now. See his stats for his numbers.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #35
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
I can't imagine having a mindset that would allow me to hold him in a high standard for a guy as easily forgotten as Ashley Lelie. Must be exhausting.
FYP
Old 09-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #36
shanananananahan
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Yet here you are, arguing about how good he wasn't.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #37
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Yet here you are, arguing about how good he wasn't.
Ah, it is only arguing if someone stated the opposite of me...which SoCal has done. Proof is in the pudding and not sure why you are so hell bent on stopping a discussion on an individual that was a sore spot for the fanbase and franchise at that point. Either you remember what happened and put your opinion on the matter or don't do it. Just because you don't doesn't mean others have that same opinion. Maybe if you didn't grow so many "ananana" to your name, you wouldn't be so grumpy!
Old 09-18-2013, 11:29 PM   #38
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Are you high? He was moved to #2 and not #3 like you state. He wasn't moved to #2 because it was a contract year and we wanted to screw him (there you sneakily go again calling Bowlen cheap) out of a big contract. We brought in Walker because he was a better wide receiver and would help our game with both on the field. Lelie was high thinking he was all that and seems by your statement it was all about getting paid. He would have been paid nicely and it proves all of our points that he was nothing in Atlanta or SF. Infact, his last 3 seasons with 3 different teams (forgot he went to the Faiders where I am sure he thought the vertical game would be his saving grace), he only had 6 more cashes combined compared to his last season with Denver. HE ****ED UP! Did he want to get paid? Then he should have stuck around and be part of the community where he would probably get commercial and signing opportunities from fans that like him.

Instead, he went the ego route and went where no one would remember him as a Falcons, 49ers and a Raiders player.

SoCal, stop making **** up and come to the realization that he blew it and he even admits it now. See his stats for his numbers.
He was already a 2 at that time. Rod was 1. Walker comes in and would be at least the second best receiver, so Lelie is now a 3 or at least by virtue of the fact that there is another good receiver added, his numbers are going to take an unmistakeable hit no matter what in a contract year. It's not about him thinking he is all that, it's a move that intentionally or unintentionally will decrease his earning power in a contract year. Of course it's all about getting paid, that's the whole fucming point of the sport. No one with half a brain is going to sacrifice a significant amount of income just because the team will be better. We wouldn't do that for our employers in our regular lives either. I might take a little less here and there if there are some positive aspects to the employment that you might not find elsewhere but I'm not going to get seriously hosed just because it will help the company. You have to stop overly romanticizing sports. It's not that much different than life.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:34 AM   #39
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

jerry rice is on the UNLV field helping his son...and doing some coaching. I cant wait for the wolfpack v rebel game. Fremont cannon at stake lol.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #40
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Ashley Lelie's career statistics:

2002: 35 receptions for 525 yards, 2 touchdowns
2003: 36 receptions for 628 yards, 2 touchdowns
2004: 54 receptions for 1084 yards, 7 touchdowns
2005: 42 receptions for 770 yards, 1 touchdown
2006 (ATL): 28 receptions for 430 yards, 1 touchdown
2007 (SFO): 10 receptions for 115 yards, 0 touchdowns
2008 (OAK): 11 receptions for 197 yards, 2 touchdowns
Career: 217 receptions for 3749 yards, 15 touchdowns

For comparison's sake:

Eric Decker: 146 receptions for 1901 yards, 22 touchdowns
Demaryius Thomas: 158 receptions for 2481 yards, 18 touchdowns
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #41
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
He was already a 2 at that time. Rod was 1. Walker comes in and would be at least the second best receiver, so Lelie is now a 3 or at least by virtue of the fact that there is another good receiver added, his numbers are going to take an unmistakeable hit no matter what in a contract year. It's not about him thinking he is all that, it's a move that intentionally or unintentionally will decrease his earning power in a contract year. Of course it's all about getting paid, that's the whole fucming point of the sport. No one with half a brain is going to sacrifice a significant amount of income just because the team will be better. We wouldn't do that for our employers in our regular lives either. I might take a little less here and there if there are some positive aspects to the employment that you might not find elsewhere but I'm not going to get seriously hosed just because it will help the company. You have to stop overly romanticizing sports. It's not that much different than life.
A few things, where did his move to Atlanta do for him and his career? He sucked! How is it working out for guys like Welker, DT and Decker? If you have Rod Smith and Walker on the field with Lelie, it opens up a ton of pass plays to you. He can look back all he wants now and know it wasn't a good move but most fans knew what he was and what he could bring to the Broncos. He lasted only 3 years after having a good career in Denver. He stays in Denver, he not only passes up all those numbers he provided to the other 3 teams but has a longer career and stays as a fan favorite in Denver giving him bigger opportunities once he retires.

HE BLEW IT!
Old 09-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #42
Don Flamenco
Perennial Pro-bowler

Back in 2009-2010 when he had his stint with the 9ers and raiders, he was boxing at my gym in San Jose, CA.
Don Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #43
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
Back in 2009-2010 when he had his stint with the 9ers and raiders, he was boxing at my gym in San Jose, CA.
Don Flamenco has a gym? That's gotta be some kind of front just to pull in the ladies.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #44
Don Flamenco
Perennial Pro-bowler

lol, not my gym. A gym I worked out of
Don Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote