The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #26
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,391

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post


I don't really care that this gif isn't from today
I am curious if that is the play that Reed is most embarrassed about in his career.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #27
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
On sort of a related note, I'm concerned that Ball seemed to have no burst today and the one decent run he had he fumbled. And that fumble had less contact than either of Hillman's preseason fumbles that got him in the doghouse. Yes, he's a rookie, but he looked awful today.
That's not the issue I'm seeing. The guy has more burst and speed than Moreno has ever had. He just doesn't seem to be running with any kind of instincts or natural flow.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #28
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,164
Default

Depressing that Ball and Hillman are just so mediocre. Doesn't help that outside of a handful of plays our run blocking was once again terrible. Opened up a little in the 2nd half. Moreno was good for us late last year, too, but this may have been his best overall game. But you just know he's going to get hurt again at some point.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #29
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga
 
razorwire77's Avatar
 
"Not too shabby."

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 4,483

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
That's not the issue I'm seeing. The guy has more burst and speed than Moreno has ever had. He just doesn't seem to be running with any kind of instincts or natural flow.
We're watching two different backs I guess. Yeah his instincts are lacking and he runs into the back of his blockers, but I expect that a bit from a rookie. The problem I have is he seems to get dropped like a sack of potatoes upon contact though. For all the **** Hillman caught in the preseason (much of it deserved) for going down with initial contact, Ball has been worse and he much bigger. Just disappointing. I'm not expecting TD, but a poor man's Mike Anderson would be awesome.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #30
myMind
splinters reality until
 
myMind's Avatar
 
We Grok

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,565

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
The guy has more burst and speed than Moreno has ever had.
And thats exactly why he's starting for the Broncos...
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #31
bap454
Ring of Famer
 
bap454's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,063

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard
Default

Did Hillman even get a carry today?
bap454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #32
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
We're watching two different backs I guess. Yeah his instincts are lacking and he runs into the back of his blockers, but I expect that a bit from a rookie. The problem I have is he seems to get dropped like a sack of potatoes upon contact though. For all the **** Hillman caught in the preseason (much of it deserved) for going down with initial contact, Ball has been worse and he much bigger. Just disappointing. I'm not expecting TD, but a poor man's Mike Anderson would be awesome.
Huh, I've seen him fall forward and fight for tough yards plenty assuming he's had a chance to get a head of steam. If you're expecting the guy to just shrug off tackles from linemen and linebackers, I don't know what to tell you. I still maintain that his real issue right now (aside from the poor interior run blocking on many plays) is a lack of quality instincts and vision. And that alone is worrisome. In the NFL you are either a natural runner or you're not usually.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #33
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Depressing that Ball and Hillman are just so mediocre. Doesn't help that outside of a handful of plays our run blocking was once again terrible. Opened up a little in the 2nd half. Moreno was good for us late last year, too, but this may have been his best overall game. But you just know he's going to get hurt again at some point.
Broncos ran 3 wides and 1 TE for most of first half...switched it to 2 TE's and Manning under center more in 2nd half....running game improved in 2nd half.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #34
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 22,530

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Keep doing well until an injury. I hope it doesn't happen because I don't see a complete back yet from the other running backs.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #35
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
Vegas_Bronco's Avatar
 
Fear is a lack of preparation.

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Now 64 Yards Out
Posts: 5,221

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1
Default

All of our RB's less Moreno need better coaching. They (other than moreno) looked pretty poor thus far in 2 games.

Ball had 1 less carry today than Moreno and got 12/16 (1.3 avg) while Moreno had 13/93 (7.2avg) and the 2 TDs.

Last edited by Vegas_Bronco; 09-15-2013 at 08:55 PM..
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #36
uplink
Ring of Famer
 
uplink's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,093
Default

Was Moreno the starter all along, but Fox wanted teams to game plan for the other backs assuming they would be a liability in pass blocking?
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #37
JDB7821
Seasoned Veteran
 
JDB7821's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 401

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplink View Post
Was Moreno the starter all along, but Fox wanted teams to game plan for the other backs assuming they would be a liability in pass blocking?
I think he was trying to light a fire in Moreno more than anything. He had to see how much he wanted it and putting him seemingly third on the depth chart will show you exactly that.
JDB7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #38
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,121

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

What worries me is in the post game interviews, KM is talking about how he had family in the stands (he was born and raised in NJ) and so he wanted to put on a show. Maybe the Broncos should fly his family in every week?

I wonder if CJ will be ready to go against the Faders?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #39
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,967
Default

And some people actually think Knowshon will be inactive. YEAH RIGHT!
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #40
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,481

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

His fumble recovery was the sign that there was no stopping him.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #41
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,826

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

He's still the same knowshon we all know. Nothing special here as far as being the running back we've all been waiting for him to be...

One thing that I liked though, is that he's now been used to take advantage of his best abilities and strengths; blocking, catching the ball on the run, etc... Still not as consistent of a runner as I'd like him to be, but I'm very happy with his new role.
He's definitely contributing huge.
I have no problems giving the guy props today.
Keep it up Knowshon...I'm almost a believer...nah!
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #42
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,826

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
And some people actually think Knowshon will be inactive. YEAH RIGHT!
He can't be inactive. Right now, we're a lot thinner at RB than we were last year...
He's now the starter by default, and what the coaching staff has done with him is to utlize him to do what he does best, as opposed to just limiting him to run the ball, to be our ball carrier...

What Knowshon did today, is what the Broncos were hoping Hillman would become, but Hillman is not the blocker that Knowshon is...

Monte Ball needs more work yet...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #43
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga
 
razorwire77's Avatar
 
"Not too shabby."

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 4,483

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Huh, I've seen him fall forward and fight for tough yards plenty assuming he's had a chance to get a head of steam. If you're expecting the guy to just shrug off tackles from linemen and linebackers, I don't know what to tell you. I still maintain that his real issue right now (aside from the poor interior run blocking on many plays) is a lack of quality instincts and vision. And that alone is worrisome. In the NFL you are either a natural runner or you're not usually.
Fight for tough yards? I didn't even see that. The kid averaged slightly more than a yard and fell down like he was getting shot every time he got hit, with the exception of the fumble run. Yeah, interior run blocking was pretty spotty at times, but Moreno was able to get it going a bit between the tackles in the 2nd half. If anyone was fighting for tough yards today, it was KM. Ball did try to fall forward, so I guess there's that.

He's just a far cry from the steady grinder who would eat up 5, 6, 8, 10 yards as a Badger. Of course, Wisconsin's lines were dominant, so there's that. Not ready to give up on Ball by any means, but he better flash something soon.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #44
Rother8
Seasoned Veteran
 
Rother8's Avatar
 
Mhmugggggeeeee

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 350

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Am I the only one who thinks Knowshon just runs weird?
Good game tho
Rother8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:11 PM   #45
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,350
Default

I've come to appreciate Knowshon Moreno....dude simply needs to stay healthy.

He's a very well rounded running back....excellent receiver and an excellent pass blocker.

He's not very fast, but that's not a prerequisite for a running back to be good.

I'll give Knowshon a lot of credit for not complaining when he got benched last season....he quietly went about his business after his demotion and waited his turn and played well when he got his opportunity again....but then he got injured in the Baltimore playoff game when Denver was counting on him.

I'm rooting for him to stay healthy and prove that he isn't a first round bust.

It doesn't seem like this is his 5th year in the league, but Denver drafted Knowshon in 2009.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #46
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
Fight for tough yards? I didn't even see that. The kid averaged slightly more than a yard and fell down like he was getting shot every time he got hit, with the exception of the fumble run. Yeah, interior run blocking was pretty spotty at times, but Moreno was able to get it going a bit between the tackles in the 2nd half. If anyone was fighting for tough yards today, it was KM. Ball did try to fall forward, so I guess there's that.
You don't apparently know what I mean. When a guy gets stoned by linebackers and linemen before he gets a head of steam you can't really expect much in terms of tackle breaking or tough running. Those guys are bigger and stronger than him. When Ball has gotten a chance to actually get some momentum going however he has shown toughness and the ability to fall forward for extra yardage. You should pay closer attention if you haven't seen it.

Again, the issue is that he just doesn't react instinctually and fluidly when he gets the ball which prevents him from getting going downhill through a small seam (which is pretty much always there) for whatever he can get. I haven't seen a lot of plays where I think he could've broken off anything big because the blocking is generally bad on the inside, but he needs to be better at making something out of nothing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:16 PM   #47
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
He can't be inactive. Right now, we're a lot thinner at RB than we were last year...
No we aren't. You can definitely question whether or not our top two are as good as last year, but I'm pretty sure CJ offers much better depth than Lance Ball.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:26 PM   #48
Armchair Bronco
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I am happy for Moreno.

I think we're really missing the input of former RB coach Bobby Turner. Why the hell did we let that guy go to the Redskins?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #49
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga
 
razorwire77's Avatar
 
"Not too shabby."

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 4,483

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
You don't apparently know what I mean. When a guy gets stoned by linebackers and linemen before he gets a head of steam you can't really expect much in terms of tackle breaking or tough running. Those guys are bigger and stronger than him. When Ball has gotten a chance to actually get some momentum going however he has shown toughness and the ability to fall forward for extra yardage. You should pay closer attention if you haven't seen it.

Again, the issue is that he just doesn't react instinctually and fluidly when he gets the ball which prevents him from getting going downhill through a small seam (which is pretty much always there) for whatever he can get. I haven't seen a lot of plays where I think he could've broken off anything big because the blocking is generally bad on the inside, but he needs to be better at making something out of nothing.
I know exactly what you mean. I'm not talking about when the d-line blows up a play in the backfield and stones him, I'm talking about when he gets a little bit of daylight and the first guy that has an angle on him takes him down like nothing. I'm not seeing the toughness between the tackles. Occasionally falling forward does not equal tough running. I think you're confusing the two. Moreno ran hard today. Ball got tackled easily both in space and between the tackles.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:33 PM   #50
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
I know exactly what you mean. I'm not talking about when the d-line blows up a play in the backfield and stones him, I'm talking about when he gets a little bit of daylight and the first guy that has an angle on him takes him down like nothing. I'm not seeing the toughness between the tackles. Occasionally falling forward does not equal tough running. I think you're confusing the two. Moreno ran hard today. Ball got tackled easily both in space and between the tackles.
To be clear, I'm not talking about today alone. I'm talking about what I've seen with the guy through preseason and two regular season games. You're right that today he didn't really have any examples of tough gainers, but he has shown it before on a few occasions so far. We still have a very small sample to go off of with the guy, but I've seen him do some good things when he hits the hole with a head of steam (when he can find the hole).

Oh and it's not like Moreno was punishing anyone out there. He broke off some nice runs mostly due to finding the openings that Ball is failing to find, not due to breaking lots of tackles.

Also, it seems like roughly half of Ball's carries he has been stoned in the back field or at the line of scrimmage. So while I'm willing to criticize Ball's lack of good instincts and vision so far, I really want to make it clear I still think our biggest issue with our running game is blocking, especially inside blocking.

Last edited by Agamemnon; 09-15-2013 at 11:35 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:56 AM.


Denver Broncos