The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #26
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Barry Sanders is massively overrated by the people who think highlight plays are what running backs should be all about, but damn that list is silly.
My goodness, forget about the list!!! Your comment about Barry is beyond human reasoning and understanding. Barry Sanders was a great running back. He played on a team that stunk on all levels for almost his entire career. Is that his fault as some of those people on that thread seemed to believe and some on here. If Barry Sanders had played on that Broncos 97 and 98 teams, it is unimaginable what he could have accomplished with that talent level around him. I guarantee he wouldn't have to juke and jive his way to the end zone. Can you imagine him playing for a team where he could pick his cut and go.

He played on a team that couldn't coach, couldn't draft and generally couldn't play up to a decent level around him. No wonder he just picked up and left. Why didn't Elway hire Fontes or Millen? Why didn't he spend big money on a QB like Scott Mitchell.

I am thankful someone in Denver realizes the importance of what Mr. Little did when he played on some pretty talentless teams.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #27
stopgap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
That JordanTaber idiot used to troll the KFFL boards until they banned him. He's an enormous 49er fan, if I remember correctly, and is probably busy annoying the shit out of somebody somewhere about it right now.

Dude really, really, really loved Terrell Owens.
. I for now am glad for Romo spitting in TO's mouth.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:30 AM   #28
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmoot View Post
My goodness, forget about the list!!! Your comment about Barry is beyond human reasoning and understanding. Barry Sanders was a great running back. He played on a team that stunk on all levels for almost his entire career. Is that his fault as some of those people on that thread seemed to believe and some on here. If Barry Sanders had played on that Broncos 97 and 98 teams, it is unimaginable what he could have accomplished with that talent level around him. I guarantee he wouldn't have to juke and jive his way to the end zone. Can you imagine him playing for a team where he could pick his cut and go.

He played on a team that couldn't coach, couldn't draft and generally couldn't play up to a decent level around him. No wonder he just picked up and left. Why didn't Elway hire Fontes or Millen? Why didn't he spend big money on a QB like Scott Mitchell.

I am thankful someone in Denver realizes the importance of what Mr. Little did when he played on some pretty talentless teams.
I stopped reading when you basically suggested Barry Sanders was a better back than Terrell Davis. The only people who think that way don't understand what makes a great back. Barry Sanders was a great play-maker, but as an all-around back Terrell Davis blew him out of the water. It's not even close really. You are a highlight reel running back guy, and therefore are clueless about what the position is really about. Sorry.

Here's a clue: a game where a back has runs of -2, 0, 2, -1, 4, 2, 20, 1, -3, 70, 2, 1, 2, -4, 0, 1, 6, 2, -1, and 28 yards is not as good as a game where a back has runs of 5, 4, 3, 10, 5, 4, 7, 8, 2, 12, 6, 0, 3, 5, 11, 5, 20, 8, 3, and 9 yards, even though they are both 20 carries for 130 yards. This is the difference between the great, chain-moving, game-dominating backs and the feast or famine, play-maker backs, and if you understand football at all you know which is better.

PS. The whole "if only Barry Sanders had had better blocking" line is played out. First of all, his blocking was not that bad in Detroit. Second of all, Barry was not the type of runner to follow his blocks or hit the hole quickly ad get whatever he could. Barry Sanders hesitated in the backfield and looked for the big run on every play. His style of running made his line look worse than it really was because he rarely ever followed the play as it was diagrammed. That's great for highlight reels, not so great for consistently getting yardage and not hanging his linemen out to dry on a regular basis.

Last edited by Agamemnon; 09-15-2013 at 03:46 AM..
Old 09-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #29
Shananahan

Some of you guys are very good at taking the fun out of everything.