The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #376
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
what a great night for the franchise. 52 goes into the rafters on Hockey Night in Canada against the Canadians, and in front of Ray Bourque, Alexi Gusarov, and Peter Forsberg.
Hejduk was there and of course Sakic and Roy are always there now. What an amazing group that was. Awesome to have them back at a game all together.
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:58 PM   #377
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Watching the pregame Foote stuff. Little nugget about 10min in shows the footage of what actually started the RW rivalary, which involved Foote.
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #378
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
Downie was protecting his teammate and doing his job. His fight had nothing to do with the Line brawl that happened later. Unfortunate what happened to him but he didn't "deserve it" that's just silly
I wouldn't say Downie deserved the concussion in a karma way. Emery deserved bad Karma.

However, this comes with the territory. The flyers were frustrated and this comes with the territory of trying to live up to the "broad street bullies" reputation.

Philly as a team deserved the bad karma. Unfortunately for Downie, he is looped in to that, but what can you do.

I don't hate Downie, he was pretty solid for the avs and busted his ass. Just saying when you go down that road, you pay for it and the flyers paid for it by losing LeCavalier and Downie. Ironically, it was Emery who deserved the worst fate honestly.

He better watch out in the future, I am sure while most goalies don't want to fight him, he's going to get a few big rigs up front giving him a few vicious hits.
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:36 AM   #379
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

The Avs started 10-1-2 Sacco's first year so 13 games isn't a large enough sample size to dismiss a flash in the pan, but this team sure does feel different. It's amazing how much more cohesive the team is playing defensively. It's almost jaw dropping compared to how they played in recent years. Sacco actually had many defenders who argued the real problem was the makeup of the team. I don't think many of those folks would have envisioned the additions of Guenin and Benoit would make things much better.

We do need a larger sample size but this seems more like an indicator of what's to come than a flash in the pan. Even Sacco's flash in the pan start got them into the playoffs.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #380
DaFace
Resident Chiefs Lurker

Yep.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Definitely agree. The mentality is WAY different this year than it was that season. Craig Anderson was on fire and was stealing games left and right. This season, the goaltenders are playing well for sure, but the team is just plain working hard. They know how to handle the ebbs and flows of the game and are able to succeed in a variety of types of games.

The momentum will slow down at some point for sure, but you have to love the building blocks that are in place. We could be gearing up for another long stretch of success if things keep going well.
DaFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #381
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

At least they are fun to watch. Nice to see that they sold out last night. Hopefully that will happen more often.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #382
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post
The Avs started 10-1-2 Sacco's first year so 13 games isn't a large enough sample size to dismiss a flash in the pan, but this team sure does feel different. It's amazing how much more cohesive the team is playing defensively. It's almost jaw dropping compared to how they played in recent years. Sacco actually had many defenders who argued the real problem was the makeup of the team. I don't think many of those folks would have envisioned the additions of Guenin and Benoit would make things much better.

We do need a larger sample size but this seems more like an indicator of what's to come than a flash in the pan. Even Sacco's flash in the pan start got them into the playoffs.
Yeah but you know what happened after those first 13-20 games? They started buying into Sacco's system and he started fully teaching them.
The regression fully began the next season and it was ingrained in the culture.

It was kind of similar to Gene Chizik at Auburn, once Cam left he was fully exposed again. Horrific teacher.

Roy has a legit idea on fundamentals and a actual NHL style system.
Dump and chase hockey at the expense of your D will only go for so long.
We had no real offensive scheme and identity when Sacco was coach. People bullied us, figured us out and we had no way to adapt.

Last edited by Lestat; 11-03-2013 at 12:19 PM..
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #383
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco View Post
I wouldn't say Downie deserved the concussion in a karma way. Emery deserved bad Karma.

However, this comes with the territory. The flyers were frustrated and this comes with the territory of trying to live up to the "broad street bullies" reputation.

Philly as a team deserved the bad karma. Unfortunately for Downie, he is looped in to that, but what can you do.

I don't hate Downie, he was pretty solid for the avs and busted his ass. Just saying when you go down that road, you pay for it and the flyers paid for it by losing LeCavalier and Downie. Ironically, it was Emery who deserved the worst fate honestly.

He better watch out in the future, I am sure while most goalies don't want to fight him, he's going to get a few big rigs up front giving him a few vicious hits.
On the bright side, Emery go the #3 star after stopping 11 of 15 shots! Good on you, Ray!
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #384
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post

I had Center Ice and watched almost every game when Sacco was coach. It was a combination of Sacco and **** bags like O'Bryne, Hunwick and O'Brien. 3 of the worst defensemen in the entire NHL all on the same team. A much better coach and a few tweaks to the roster and there you go. It couldn't have really get much worse.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #385
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
I had Center Ice and watched almost every game when Sacco was coach. It was a combination of Sacco and **** bags like O'Bryne, Hunwick and O'Brien. 3 of the worst defensemen in the entire NHL all on the same team. A much better coach and a few tweaks to the roster and there you go. It couldn't have really get much worse.
Yeah there is definitely addition by subtraction at work (thankfully there is a coach now who can recognize when players play poorly).

But there was a popular argument being floated about that no coach could do any better than Sacco with the roster. Terry Frei, for example, who is a good writer but a snob who likes turning his so called expert nose up at "layman" arguments just so that he can let everyone know he's above it, always dismissed the argument that the coaching was lacking with the Avs and was condescending towards those who pointed a finger at Sacco (Frei has actually referred to himself and his sports media colleagues as "cognoscenti"). We do need to wait until he dies. If the Roy effect continues through this season and coming seasons, Frei's expert opinion on the subject is completely obliterated.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #386
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Tanguay our for two weeks per Mark Moser. That sucks.

Edit: And now Barrie is being shipped down to the AHL.

Last edited by Kaylore; 11-04-2013 at 12:00 PM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #387
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

about 5 games.....it could have been much worse
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #388
DaFace
Resident Chiefs Lurker

Yep.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Not sure what to think about Barrie. I like the kid, but he's looked shaky when he's been on the ice this year, and I'd rather him being down in Lake Erie to get on the ice than sitting on the bench here. He may just be a victim of our other unknown D-men stepping up this year.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #389
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Damn losing tanguay is gonna hurt. More ice time for mack or Mitchell both?
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #390
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Honestly two weeks isn't that bad... when you have an MRI on a knee and the results indicate it's not a long term or season ending thing, it's a relief.

Sending Barrie down is the right move, and a bit overdue. Riding the pine is no good for his development. Hopefully he can get his game together and be back on the big club at some point, they could use him on the PP.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #391
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Barrie should have been sent down instead of riding the pine.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #392
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:

Don't know where Moser gets his info but what Roy said was "a minimum of" two weeks. MCL maybe.
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #393
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Nice to see the Avs being a solid team again. Way to go. Lose to the Pens in the Cup.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #394
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
Not sure what to think about Barrie. I like the kid, but he's looked shaky when he's been on the ice this year, and I'd rather him being down in Lake Erie to get on the ice than sitting on the bench here. He may just be a victim of our other unknown D-men stepping up this year.
He can play well. Maybe he needs some time to collect himself in other ways. I often wonder about the outside factors in sports and how sometimes guys need to grow up a bit.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #395
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Caps are currently #1 in PP and PK.

Backstrom playing well; if he continues to ascent back to being a top player in the NHL, the caps become an upper echelon team. Backstrom being elite again is the key to caps success.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #396
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Need to get better on D, and need more even strength scoring first.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #397
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Need to get better on D, and need more even strength scoring first.
For sure, you are right.

Just saying caps are mediocre team if backstrom isn't playing like an NHL elite 1C
Old 11-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #398
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Tough loss. That game was insane but you can't give up 5 goals and expect to win.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #399
DaFace
Resident Chiefs Lurker

Yep.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Yep. It was heartening that they kept battling till the end, though.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:02 AM   #400
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

Quote:
what actually started the RW rivalary, which involved Foote.
Ya Damn right! Not claude lemieux(sp) it was adam foote getting his face slapped against the boards and his blood flowing like water. claude lemeieux boarding whathis name was a response.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote