The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2014, 01:39 AM   #1
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Default Broncos at Cowboys: Game Notes

1. Adam Gase (and all Broncos fans) have to be really happy with what they've seen from Brock Osweiler this preseason. He executed and sustained long drives all preseason long (when guys weren't dropping the football). Demonstrating a masterful 2-minute Offense to put the team in scoring position before the half. Well thrown balls throughout, and showing good pocket awareness. Good job Brock.

2. Cameron Morrah may have swiped a roster spot from Gerrell Robinson tonight. He closed on the ball well in the seam down near the goal line, and gave solid blocks all game long. Lucky for Robinson the NFL extended practice squad eligibility to 3 years. Clancy Barone spent a ton of time with Robinson during OTA's, so hopefully he'll stick around in some capacity.

3. Michael Schofield has been excellent in pass protection, run blocks well at times and misses a couple too. Steady improvement from the rookie in his first camp. Paul Cornick has great size and arm length (35"), but looked pedestrian giving up two huge hits on the QB in the waning seconds of the first half, causing the Broncos to use their final 2 timeouts. Other than that he had a solid game. Sometimes the difference between making it and not can be the slimmest of margins.

4. Love to see Cody Latimer slicing through the Defense on an underneath crosser for a huge gain, especially after he dropped the same pass in front of Elway last week. Andre Caldwell showing superb body control on a sideline grab down to the 1.

5. Only Brandon McManus could make us long for Mitch Ewald. Sorry Broncos, you're not just going to be able to throw a scrub out there for 4 games and expect to make FG's. Sign a real kicker and move on.

6. One of the hotter contested positions is between Ben Garland and Vinston Painter for backup Guard. Garland played well this game, showing the ability to clear some holes in space, a knack for cutting on the backside, and some good 2nd level blocks. Painter might be a little stronger at the POA, but looked lost on the 2nd level a couple times. Both need more refinement. Garland got knocked back once late in the game and they immediately brought Painter back in. Tough decision for the Broncos.

7. Kapri Bibbs and Shaquil Barrett at least make the Broncos Practice squad with superb showings from each. Hope that's reward enough for coming out of school early. If the Broncos can retain them, both could contribute someday.

8. Mitch Unrein is a good, solid player who belongs in the NFL. He holds up at the POA and can play multiple positions on the DL. Kevin Vickerson shows his run-stopping ability and burst off the LOS for a couple TFL's. This is truly a toss-up. Sione Fua is a darkhorse, but tempting with a low cap hit. Give me Big Vick to back up Knighton.

9. Early in the game Isaiah Burse commits the cardinal sin of dropping a fair catch punt on the 5 yard-line. Luckily the refs bail him out by whistling it dead. Then he immediately responds with a 30 yard catch down the seam from Osweiler. He follows that up with some more good catches and a couple really solid 20 yard punt returns. Burse makes the team. Go get 'em Speed Burse, we're depending on you.

10. The Broncos brought in Will Montgomery to compete for a starting position and signed him to nearly a $2M contract. Then they drafted Matt Paradis in the 6th round. To me, Paradis is competent enough take a risk on. Montgomery is way to expensive for a backup and not that much better. Give me Paradis.

11. Duke Ihenacho thought that showing up for 2 minutes in a meaningless preseason game was good enough for a roster spot, then disappeared for the entire 2nd half. Sorry Duke, you fooled us last year and we're not falling for that again. Tony Carter presents much more value and played well enough for #6CB, consistently making plays on the ball.

12. Lamin Barrow has impressed me with his field awareness, speed, and ability to fill up holes while closing on the ball carrier. Another great find in the 5th round. Corey Nelson is raw, but has athletic ability and can be developed on the PS. Steven Johnson had the green dot and closes with vengeance when backed up against his own goal line. Johnson gets my last roster spot.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2014, 02:00 AM   #2
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Michael Shofield sucked at pass pro tonight.
Bet you EatANacho makes the team
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:02 AM   #3
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

1. Osweiler played well, he still underthrows his deep passes a bit for some reason but he gives guys a shot to make the catch. He drilled a pass down the seam to Morrah on a 3rd down I think, it was a beautiful bullet in a tight window.

2. Mccray was the man of the match, he was unblockable, made every tackle he had a shot at. He is no Von Miller, but I think right now he is one of the top 15 SLBs in the league.

3. Vickerson to me showed enough to put himself ahead of Unrein in that duel. Unrein was in no respects, bad, he just happens to be a very good backup at a position that basically features 4 starter level players ahead of him.

4. Montgomery should be cut, he just doesn't provide anywhere near enough to justify his salary and justify getting rid of a younger player who may have a brighter future.

5. Bibbs should so have been named Bubba, Bubba Bibbs, so many B's! I am not sure he will pass through waivers, and I am 100% sure that even if he does we will not be able to keep him on the PS all season without some other team taking him. He is still behind Thompson and that is fine, but he has really played well with the chances he has been given.

6. Nacho is gone, he shows up just before half time, makes a couple of big plays and nice tackles and then goes AWOL again. His range and awareness are just not good enough to be a safety.

7. I ****ing hate Tony Carter, he was such an obvious cut candidate for the first 60% of the preseason, then he goes and gets a couple of solid picks and that near pick. Just be **** all the time or be solid all the time. I think he has to make the team as the number 6 CB and that means only 4 safeties.

8. Of the backup offensive linemen, Painter has the highest floor, I didn't spot him a single time being the direct cause of a negative play. Right now, I would keep Painter, Cornick, Schofield and Paradis as the backup OL.

9. I think there is a near 100% shot that Mcmanus is our kicker for game 1. After that, I think there is a decent chance a veteran is picked up. If we sign a veteran kicker before week 1, his salary will be guaranteed for the year, however if we sign a veteran after opening week, his salary will be week to week and since the backup is obviously gone after game 4 that is a consideration to be aware of.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:44 AM   #4
Dos Rios
Seasoned Veteran

I didn't see the positives price saw with Schofield. Focused on him a lot and thought he looked slow and rarely moved his man forward. More than once he couldn't find a man to block and just seemed confused. O-line depth is a bigger Achilles heel right now than kicker or return game.

McCray, on the other hand, has been a revelation all preseason.

Smart to keep Vickerson and Unrein both.

Burse likely did enough to stick given the lack of options. He pissed off Latimer by not even pretending to block on that screen to Latimer in the first half.
Dos Rios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:15 AM   #5
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post

7. I ****ing hate Tony Carter, he was such an obvious cut candidate for the first 60% of the preseason, then he goes and gets a couple of solid picks and that near pick. Just be **** all the time or be solid all the time. I think he has to make the team as the number 6 CB and that means only 4 safeties.
If he was solid all the time he wouldn't be a #6 CB.
bowtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:26 AM   #6
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Schoefield always looked a step slow to me.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:32 AM   #7
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

I was stuck with local Dallas announcers for the game and god where they painful. However, they did drop one line in the second quarter that made me chuckle a little right after Brock Osweiler was pancaked.

"As a defender, if you initiate helmet to helmet contact with Osweiler, your feet probably left the ground."
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:38 AM   #8
jmz313
Ring of Famer

I think Nacho makes the team. I'mm not saying i think he should (or shouldn't) but he flashes at times and saw significant playing time last year. I think the brass will give him another year.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:46 AM   #9
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Then he could at least have the common courtesy to suck all the time.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:49 AM   #10
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Gerrell Robinson doesn't have a guaranteed roster spot for anyone to swipe.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:58 AM   #11
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
I don't get why the mane is so hard on this guy. he is the #6 CB after all. Its unfortunate that we had to see him play so much because of injuries to our starting CB. Just glad he isn't Roc Alexander.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:59 AM   #12
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Schofield looked pretty terrible. He is a rookie though. Needs more time to develop.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:04 AM   #13
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Then he could at least have the common courtesy to suck all the time.
Fair enough.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:15 AM   #14
GoneFishin'
Seasoned Veteran

Longtime listener first time caller

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
I was stuck with local Dallas announcers for the game and god where they painful. However, they did drop one line in the second quarter that made me chuckle a little right after Brock Osweiler was pancaked.

"As a defender, if you initiate helmet to helmet contact with Osweiler, your feet probably left the ground."
Those announcers were awful. Ugh just awful. I'm looking forward to rewatchig with the Broncos Radio audio later.
GoneFishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:21 AM   #15
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post

And the good ole Osweiler sandiwch. Coming to a Denver area Subway in the near future!
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:21 AM   #16
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
I don't get why the mane is so hard on this guy. he is the #6 CB after all. Its unfortunate that we had to see him play so much because of injuries to our starting CB. Just glad he isn't Roc Alexander.
The differences between carter and roc Alexander is that carter gives up on the play and roc just consistently got beat while trying.

If carter isn't giving up on the play he isn't turning his head and gets called for PI. I wouldn't be surprised if carter leads the NFL in PI penalties based on the amount of plays he gets
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:29 AM   #17
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Schofield was fine in the 2nd half. whoever was playing left tackle had a worse night.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:39 AM   #18
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Cutting Vickerson would be a mistake. Dude adds to the toughness factor of this team, is a mountain of a guy, and has proven that he can dominate the LOS at times at the NFL level.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:39 AM   #19
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

My random thoughts that haven't been expressed.
  • Burse is JAG to me. He's not very explosive or shifty. I don't know what his 40 time was, but he plays slow in pads. I have to think there are better options out there.
  • After learning that Colquitt is actually pretty terrible I've been watching him closely. He seemed to punt better last night. Yes, it was in a dome but he pinned them behind the 20 and got enough air not to allow returns several times.
  • This was the first game I though Oz looked better than Dysart. I like Dysart's fast release more, but his downfield accuracy isn't as good. Oz's athleticism was really impressive too.
  • I thought Barrow had a good game. He's very athletic and physical. Look forward to seeing him develop.
  • Actually all our linebackers are really solid. It's been covered, but McCray is legit. They are all big, tough to block and flow to the ball. We're very deep there.
  • Defensive line is going to be really solid this year. Excited about the stable of guys we can rotate in. Hurry up will be a challenge though. I hope they are conditioned since that is how they are going to attack us.
  • I have growing concerns that the front office isn't good at identifying and devleoping offensive line talent in the later rounds.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:48 AM   #20
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

We've seen all that Carter is going to do. For a player who's going to be on the field far more than another teams 6th CB, id like to see Louis Young get that chance.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:50 AM   #21
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
My random thoughts that haven't been expressed.
  • Burse is JAG to me. He's not very explosive or shifty. I don't know what his 40 time was, but he plays slow in pads. I have to think there are better options out there.
  • After learning that Colquitt is actually pretty terrible I've been watching him closely. He seemed to punt better last night. Yes, it was in a dome but he pinned them behind the 20 and got enough air not to allow returns several times.
  • This was the first game I though Oz looked better than Dysart. I like Dysart's fast release more, but his downfield accuracy isn't as good. Oz's athleticism was really impressive too.
  • I thought Barrow had a good game. He's very athletic and physical. Look forward to seeing him develop.
  • Actually all our linebackers are really solid. It's been covered, but McCray is legit. They are all big, tough to block and flow to the ball. We're very deep there.
  • Defensive line is going to be really solid this year. Excited about the stable of guys we can rotate in. Hurry up will be a challenge though. I hope they are conditioned since that is how they are going to attack us.
  • I have growing concerns that the front office isn't good at identifying and devleoping offensive line talent in the later rounds.

Good points here. On that last one it is the later rounds..maybe they'll do better finding some in earlier rounds. Or go the Vasquez route.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:53 AM   #22
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
Good points here. On that last one it is the later rounds..maybe they'll do better finding some in earlier rounds. Or go the Vasquez route.
They've done so well with every other position that it's forgivable. It's juts a little odd because offensive linemen are fairly easy to draft and develop. I'm not saying Schoffield is a bust. But he doesn't have great dexterity and he gets caught reaching. It might all be mental. But there are some guys that you can see the potential right away. I do not see that yet with him.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:53 AM   #23
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
[*]I have growing concerns that the front office isn't good at identifying and devleoping offensive line talent in the later rounds.[/LIST]
I think it's too early to tell. Blake and Painter are the only two who fit that criteria, and while Painter has certainly not been anything special, he will most likely make the team. Late round OL also usually need some patience for development.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:00 AM   #24
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
I think it's too early to tell. Blake and Painter are the only two who fit that criteria, and while Painter has certainly not been anything special, he will most likely make the team. Late round OL also usually need some patience for development.
I'll have to watch Painter. They don't have the all 22 on NFL preseason replay which kind of sucks so I have to watch a TV broadcast. I did watch him during the Seattle game and was not impressed. We'll see.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:06 AM   #25
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Yes he'd be #1...in the NFL
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote