The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 04:30 AM   #76
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
DG: Yeesh. Another gear? The rest of the league can't be excited to hear that. The most positive and effective change the Giants made on defense this offseason was at defensive tackle, where they believe they've beefed up and are better suited to stop the run than they were a year ago. But while that sounds nice and useful, the plain fact is that the Giants' defense needs a dominant pass rush from the front four in order to be effective. The linebackers are terrible, and Dallas' short-range-passing game plan Sunday night showed that it's not hard for the rest of the league to figure that out and take advantage of it. The cornerbacks are just so-so, and if Prince Amukamara is out with a concussion (still unknown at this time), that unit becomes a liability. The key will be Justin Tuck and Jason Pierre-Paul generating pressure on Peyton from the edge. Pierre-Paul looked rusty and didn't play a full game Sunday as he was coming off of June back surgery and missed the preseason. If he can take a big step forward this week in terms of conditioning and practice time, that would help. He's the difference-making player in their defensive front -- the one who has the ability to take over a game if he's 100 percent. They need him as close to that as possible if they're going to pressure Peyton Manning enough to limit the time he has to take advantage of all of those options.

Good read on how muted their defense is at present
http://http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcea...ncos-at-giants
That blog is such garbage. Nothing broken down in terms of tendencies, formations and so on. The usual stats heavy, obvious stuff that anyone could pull out using google.

I'm much more interested in how each offense is going to using formations and deception to try and freeze key players in the back 7 defensively.

Denver did this very well last week when they used play action, then faked a bubble screen to Decker only for Manning to throw an accurate pass up the middle to an open Julius Thomas. That play alone wasn't about out-muscling or out-pacing a defense, it was about forcing the front 7 to think twice about defending the run, then pushing the secondary towards the fake bubble screen only to throw to a TE.

Both Mannings do this very well in how they read a defense pre-snap - altho I didn't watch the Giants opener. It's going to be interesting, while Denver's back 7 on paper has more talent, both defenses go up against QBs that are great at deception and making pre-snap reads so you would think they would be more prepared for stuff like this.

I would expect both teams to try and establish the run early, not because they wand to pound the ball, but so much of what the Broncos are trying to do relies of freezing up the front 7 with play action. Peyton took too many hits for my liking in the season opener and part of that was because the ravens front 7 weren't honoring our run game because it sucked.

Last edited by fontaine; 09-14-2013 at 04:33 AM..
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:59 AM   #77
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

I surprised that the conclusion is that the Ravens front 4 was totally ineffective against Denver. In fact I think that the Ravens did a good job with their front four - PM rarely had a clean pocket and didn't have much time to make most of his throws. The problem for the Ravens was that PM simply has too many options at receiver and is so good in his presnap reads that he was getting the ball out in 2-3 sec on almost every play - he almost never had to go to his second option. The blitz only accentuated the fact that the Ravens could not get to Manning fast enough to give him trouble.

In general I think Suggs and Dumervil did a good job overall, Clady certainly looked rusty although I expect him to shake it off. Franklin was good but too often the Ravens shifted in order to get Elvis 1 on 1 with Julius Thomas or a RB whom he abused.

The Ravens dominated the LOS in the rushing attack. Our success in the running game came mostly to the R with Zane pulling and the combination of Vazquez and Franklin.

I see the Giants especially without Conner as a repeat of the Ravens Defense. Talented front four(although I think not as talented as Baltimore) with a lack of adequate coverage guys in their LB and safety corps.
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote