The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #76
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
A whole lot of analysis from an extremely small sample.
Yes, but analysis is not the right word. Opinion would be a better word. Opinions based on a small sample(like you said), unfair comparisons, and most likely, biases.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #77
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
With this passing attack im fine with the RB game being middle of the road. Ranked between 15th and 20th is just fine with me as long as they know how to pass block. Has there been a team who ranked top 5 passing top 5 rushing together? Hard to do. Even with leads I want them passing over running. They get multiple score leads then run it. I'm interested in seeing what CJ brings but am fine with the rest.
I agree with this as a concept. This is not the 97-98 offense. And it never will be. The offensive design and OL play is completely different between the two. That offense could, and would, run on anybody. Then Elway would make them pay.

This offense is designed to pass on anybody, then run to mix it up, and to close the game. Big difference.

I think maybe Elway didn't do Ball any favors when he compared him to TD after he drafted him. Based on his college play, I saw the similarities. But the problem with that is that this OL is no way close to being the run blockers that TD's line was.

Then, when fans see Ball and expect to see TD reincarnated, and he doesn't run like TD, many of them immediately think there is something wrong with him.

There is nothing wrong with Ball, it is the offensive design and the OL play. And all will get better as the season progresses.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #78
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
A whole lot of analysis from an extremely small sample.
You're partly right, too much ado about nothing...however, we've got such a great team right now missing a strong ground game that we just want/wish to be somewhat of a threat running the ball, right now we just got a couple of guys to hand the ball off to with no much to hang our heads on.

It's like the Jets, they have a QB but they're not a threat passing the ball...

Perhaps we're hoping CJ would be that guy. We don't know yet, might as well stay cautiously optimist like they say, and wait and see...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #79
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
And until our run blocking greatly improves it probably doesn't matter who we are handing the ball off to. Seriously, I'm amazed at how little the utterly awful run blocking is discussed on this board. To me it's very clear that our running backs are not the real issue with our running game, unless the issue is that none of them are Barry Sanders-esque miracle workers.

I think this is what bugs me about the CJ Anderson hype. It's not that I'm opposed to the idea of him being another FA steal that becomes the answer for us at a position of need. It's that people are grasping for something that is entirely unrelated to our real problems in the running game.
This offensive line is better than last year's when McGahee averaged 4.4 YPC.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #80
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Actually it's called using my eyes. This o-line is pretty good at pass blocking, but they are **** at run blocking. Period. Do you actually watch the o-line play or are you one of the many on this board that only sees the ball carrier on any given play?
Yeah I do see the O line play and do agree that the pass blocking is better than the run blocking. But I also notice the runners having no vision running directly into defenders, having no patience, one thing that TD had and I saw in CJ with 3rd string scrubs for an OL. They weren't doing much better at run blocking but he took advantage of what he saw. Hell I don't know if he'll pan out but he couldn't be worse.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #81
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
This offensive line is better than last year's when McGahee averaged 4.4 YPC.
It's not playing like it based off what I've seen in the preseason and the first regular season game. So far the ZBS hybrid thing they are doing seems to be a total wreck.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #82
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Yeah I do see the O line play and do agree that the pass blocking is better than the run blocking. But I also notice the runners having no vision running directly into defenders, having no patience, one thing that TD had and I saw in CJ with 3rd string scrubs for an OL. They weren't doing much better at run blocking but he took advantage of what he saw. Hell I don't know if he'll pan out but he couldn't be worse.
So I take it you also see defenders coming free pretty much constantly whenever we run it?
Old 09-14-2013, 02:07 AM   #83
Bacchus

Quote:
It's not playing like it based off what I've seen in the preseason and the first regular season game. So far the ZBS hybrid thing they are doing seems to be a total wreck.
Maybe the RBs just aren't as good as McGahee.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:42 AM   #84
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Maybe the RBs just aren't as good as McGahee.
Maybe you should actually watch how our o-line plays instead of guessing.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:48 AM   #85
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
So I take it you also see defenders coming free pretty much constantly whenever we run it?
Sometimes, not constantly, but initially I wanted to say "pile" which didn't sound right. I have seen our line engaged with defenders and the runner run right into that "pile" when the whole rest of the field is open. I see Hillman seem to rely on his power to run without checking out the lanes, Ball seems confused, and Moreno likes to pretend he weaves and wags while it looks like he's dancing around the field. I really believe it's a 50-50 problem and the biggest problem is we nor a lot of other teams have a real FB anymore. Part of the reason it's become a pass happy league without many truly good RB's. Howard Griffith where are you?!
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #86
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post

Well there you go, its that simple.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #87
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:

One preseason game against a bunch of guys who are selling cellphones in the mall now, and you know that CJ is something special.

I know your a hard headed jerk who insists he knows the guys future and shouldn't be given a chance..............
Old 09-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #88
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
When someone says Anderson is the best back we have he isn't talking about potential. He is making a dumbass statement based off virtually nothing.

We want the guy to get a chance because he showed FLASHES of what he could be unlike you talking out your ass.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #89
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
you mean CJ didn't go down easily against the scrubs.....who knows how he'll do against the starters of our opponents

That's the difference.....

Another hard head. Heh dumbass, CJ was the only back in preseason to show any lateral movement to make people miss.

Last edited by Jetmeck; 09-14-2013 at 09:39 AM..
Old 09-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #90
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
I know your a hard headed jerk who insists he knows the guys future and shouldn't be given a chance..............
I have never said anything bad about CJ. I hope he runs for 1500 yards this season because that would greatly help our chances of winning the Super Bowl. I'm just calling you guys out for declaring this guy something special off of nothing. At least wait until he has some good performances in real games before you act like the guy is more than pretty much every scout in the league thought he was. There's a reason the guy didn't get drafted. He could end up being the next Arian Foster, but there is a much better chance he ends up being another Lance Ball.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #91
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
We want the guy to get a chance because he showed FLASHES of what he could be unlike you talking out your ass.
That's not what you said though is it? I'm all for giving him a shot if he earns it in practice. But declaring him the best back we have while he is sitting 4th on the depth chart? Come on now.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #92
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

It's not just one thing (like the backs, or the OL) but a combination of things.

As an offense we just don't run the ball enough to be consistent at it. We'll throw in some run plays to keep the play action viable but it's not as if we'll keep at it. Also we usually keep the RB in there to pass protect because there were much better matchups at Wideout than running the ball at a front that has Ngata, Canty, Suggs, Bynes etc.

If we really wanted to, Manning could throw the short pass to the RB in the flat which the Ravens were pretty much giving to us for free all game long. When Moreno committed a holding penalty in the 2nd half (and rightly so, why risk getting your QB take a direct hit) the very next play (1st and 20) Moreno flared out to Mannings left when the Ravens back 7 went deep and he picked up a five yard pass and easily picked up 15 plus yards.

That sort of stuff is always going to be more productive than 3 or 4 yards of just slamming it up the gut.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #93
Bacchus

Quote:
I have never said anything bad about CJ. I hope he runs for 1500 yards this season because that would greatly help our chances of winning the Super Bowl. I'm just calling you guys out for declaring this guy something special off of nothing. At least wait until he has some good performances in real games before you act like the guy is more than pretty much every scout in the league thought he was. There's a reason the guy didn't get drafted. He could end up being the next Arian Foster, but there is a much better chance he ends up being another Lance Ball.
Well, its our opinion from what we saw. Just like you have an opinion.... whatever it is. It will all play out and we'll be right or wrong. Give it a rest.

Us claiming that we THINK CJ Anderson is better than Moreno is not a statement of fact. It is an opinion. You can agree or disagree.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #94
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
I don't think anyone's calling him special. There just comes a time after a few years with a player that you begin to think you've seen his ceiling. And there becomes some extra value (and excitement) in seeing what the new guys can do.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #95
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

who said what
baja is offline   Reply With Quote