The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #51
boppool
Ring of Famer

Superbowl or bust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanesaw View Post
Did anybody watch ManRam extensively? I didn't notice any glaring mistakes and after the game thought he had his best game of the preseason.
I think he had a solid game. It's nice to have Lilja as an experienced back up at both C and G. Depth on the interior line has always been questionable at best for us for a while.
boppool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #52
SeedReaver
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Yes, but in one half Manning ran the Chiefs offense runs in two games. It was pretty amazing.

That wasn't a light drizzle. I would have left in the fourth quarter rather than endure that for some scrubs who won't be on either team in a meaningless game.

He wasn't that bad.

Nothing. turnovers and more special teams blunders.
The offense is going to be stellar. Record breaking potential for sure.

You're right, it was a heavy rain for all but three minutes. Color me unimpressed regardless.

I consider myself a glass half full guy, and Ronnie Hillman sucks.

For the defense comment, I meant it in a positive light. Defense looked pretty good. People will always gripe about Fox, but they must not have remembered how awful our defense was under Shanny for far too many years.
SeedReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #53
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

You're mad at Bronco fans leaving in the 4th quarter of a preseason game?
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #54
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Seems to be the case.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #55
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

• Overall, they look pretty darn good
  • Defense needs to clean up the underneath stuff...shoddy coverage
  • Trevathon looked lost on that TD catch
  • Dline looks like a strength, but they need to provide more pressure.
  • Jackson looked good. Sly was invisible...did Ayers even play? DRC looks very good. Carter needs to play in the nickel...not the outside! Irving plays well in the scrum...will be very good at MLB second half of the season.
  • I thought all the backs looked good...especially Hillman....He'll get better at protecting the ball. His forward progress had been stopped...bad call by officials.
  • WR's are deep....Thomas, Welker, Decker, Caldwell, Robinson, King, Orton, McDuffie are all good WR's. I like them in that order.
  • TE's are good. JT making progress, Tammie is dependable, Green and O'Connell could start on some teams.
  • Oline looked very good.
  • QB's looked very good. Manning is exceptional...he did throw a few that should have been picked off in addition to his 1 int. Osweiler looked much better this week. They might be trying to get Dysert to the practice squad...I wouldn't try it though.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #56
SeedReaver
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
You're mad at Bronco fans leaving in the 4th quarter of a preseason game?
Not at all. The game was way more enjoyable after I was no longer told to keep sitting down after jumping up during big plays.

Kidding aside, you're right, it's preseason. I was having such a good time I was surprised people left early, that's all.
SeedReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #57
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
And their starting running back fumbled, again. And their special teams stunk, again. And their injury report stretched long enough to build a sidewalk for Elvis Dumervil to travel back to the Rocky Mountains.

Turnovers, special teams, injuries: Those are three pretty important aspects of football, wouldn't you say?

"That's what coach (John) Fox addressed in our gathering after the game. There are some things we have to clean up," Peyton Manning said. "And we have to do it. We can't talk about it. We have to do it."

That is about as stern a lecture as Manning is prone to give in public quarters.
http://gazette.com/klee-after-saturd...stom_click=rss
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #58
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Itís always important to get off to a good start, and the Giants catch two early breaks in their schedule. They open on the road with the perennially underachieving Cowboys, whom they just own in Dallas, and then are home against the troubled Broncos, who will be without suspended linebacker Von Miller, one of the top pass rushers in the league.
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2d0E8Pmmu
Old 08-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #59
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
ZBS? Ive read we aren't going to use much of the ZBS. I seen a lot of running between the tackles... more power run then anything.. anyone can confirm or deny this?
dude, we've been running zone schemes all preseason.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #60
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
...did Omar Bolden play?
Had to find an answer to my own question since none of y'all stepped up:

Quote:
The Broncos' battered secondary took another hit Saturday night, with some difficult decisions to come.

Omar Bolden, who had regularly worked in some of Denver's specialty packages, suffered a left-ankle injury in the Broncos' victory over the Rams. Bolden limped to the locker room in the fourth quarter and is scheduled for an MRI on Sunday.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...ncos-secondary
Old 08-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #61
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Had to find an answer to my own question since none of y'all stepped up:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...ncos-secondary
It was posted in the game thread.

"And their injury report stretched long enough to build a sidewalk for Elvis Dumervil to travel back to the Rocky Mountains."

What's with the sky is falling schtick?
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #62
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedReaver View Post
Not at all. The game was way more enjoyable after I was no longer told to keep sitting down after jumping up during big plays.

Kidding aside, you're right, it's preseason. I was having such a good time I was surprised people left early, that's all.
I had a great time. I also left right at the start of the fourth. Had nothing to do with rain, just wanted to head to our post-game food spot, drink a few cold ones (that don't cost $8) and try to beat the traffic. Two out of three ain't bad.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #63
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
That happened once

It was inexcusable but I'm still not sure why the whistle didn't blow. Forward progress was clearly stopped
He was ripped in Seattle or SF game too. Seems like there was another that wasn't challenged either. It is a problem and it is a trend.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #64
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
dude, we've been running zone schemes all preseason.
He doesn't know what a zone run is. I suspect he is confusing zone run with a stretch run.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #65
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
What's with the sky is falling schtick?
He is a little bit of a drama queen. But it's sometimes good to have some people to counterbalance all of the Pollyannas. And he did mention that Ayers, Bailey, Wolfe and Welker didn't play due to injury. And isn't Lilja still out, too? As well as Kuper?

Edit: never mind, I thought you were referring to the Klee article...
Old 08-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #66
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
He is a little bit of a drama queen. But it's sometimes good to have some people to counterbalance all of the Pollyannas. And he did mention that Ayers, Bailey, Wolfe and Welker didn't play due to injury. And isn't Lilja still out, too? As well as Kuper?

Edit: never mind, I thought you were referring to the Klee article...
Well, yea, I guess if you are into analyzing a preseason game. As of now Ayers, Bailey, Wolfe and Welker are all expected back for the opener. I thought he was talking about panicking for regular season. I did not read the article because they wanted me the take a survey just to get to it.

I was encouraged by what I saw, so much so I checked to see about a possible wager for the opener. Broncos are 8 point favorites. Line's too big for me, I thought it would be 3-4.

I could understand if someone did not see it the same, but to go with the "sky is falling" angle based on that game is an intellectually dishonest stretch to fit a preconceived agenda.

Last edited by Gutless Drunk; 08-25-2013 at 11:00 AM..
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #67
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

1. Andre Caldwell abused Janoris Jenkins.
2. Montee Ball showing superb elusiveness in the open field.
3. Knowshon amped as usual. What a great attitude...
4. Knighton and Big Vick shut down the interior run, on one play both players tossed the OL to the side both making a tackle for a 2 yard loss. Very impressive.
5. Unrein continuing to show his pass rush ability from 3-tech, with a nice sack.
6. Tamme showing good ability to keep the chains moving in the 2nd quarter. With so many Offensive plays, it's nice to have a solid pass-catcher come in to give others a breather. Keeps pressure on Defense.
7. Big hit on Manning came from a Vasquez missed assignment, not from a bad block.
8. ManRam continuing to improve, also missed a couple assignments on running plays.
9. Trevathan looks slowed down with extra weight.
10. Excited about DRC. What a great #2CB.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #68
NorCalBronco7

Surprised Kaylor you didnt mention how well Rameriz played. That was his best game of the preseason imo. He looks so much more fluid on the move than he did last year.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #69
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Just rewatched the game. Here are my takes.

The Good

- DRC looked outstanding. If he plays like this and we can pair him with Champ and Harris, look out.

- This offense is going to put up a ton of points, I guess that's sort of a no **** observation, but Denver is going to kill teams with the no huddle at altitude.

-Clady transforms the entire line when he plays. The running game is so much more effective when he's playing (Clark is a pretty poor run blocker.)

-Man Ram had a nice game. Dare I say the impossible might actually happen and he might be our starting center opening week.

-Kayvon Webster is going to be a baller. One of the best put together CB's I've ever seen. Bonus points for the Ultimate Warrior arm bands. He's getting better each week too.

- Nate Irving is good. Did he sleep with JDR's daughter or something? Don't get why he's buried on the depth chart.

- With the exception of the Hillman fumble, the running game was much improved. Ball and Hillman were running much more decisively and KM looked solid against the scrubs.

- Malik Jackson is going to see a lot of time as a situational pass rusher.

-WR depth on this team is ridiculous. Caldwell had a really nice game.

The Bad
- Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. Hillman fumble was bad and kid looked devastated on the sideline. A big part of the game is mental strength. Hopefully, he doesn't completely lose confidence.

-Red zone offense

- special teams lapses

-Julius Thomas mental mistakes (running routes too short, spotty blocking). Kid has beastly potential, but these types of errors worry me.

-Lack of a front four pass rush.

-Trindon Holliday as a receiver (please, just stop.)

Overall, we're in good shape ladies and gentleman. Work out some of the links in the next couple of weeks and I think this team is going to be deadly on offense.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #70
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
2. Montee Ball showing superb elusiveness in the open field.
3. Knowshon amped as usual. What a great attitude...
agree w/ pretty much your entire list, but these 2 things really stood out to me.
Moreno has looked hungry all preseason. He's gonna have a role, esp given Hillman's propensity for fumbling.

Ball is what we've been missing in short yardage and at the GL. That TD run he had was awesome. Could have been stood up at the line, but he powered through for the TD. That's the kind of run Denver needed so many times at the GL last year and during the 4 minute drill. Ball's quick stutter step at the line and his open-fiel ability were nice too. I like how the running game is shaping up.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #71
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post

Ball is what we've been missing in short yardage and at the GL. That TD run he had was awesome. Could have been stood up at the line, but he powered through for the TD. That's the kind of run Denver needed so many times at the GL last year and during the 4 minute drill. Ball's quick stutter step at the line and his open-fiel ability were nice too. I like how the running game is shaping up.
Yeah exactly. Montee knifed into the endzone with speed and power on his TD. Ball was looking to score on the pass that he dropped too.

Gibbs tutelage finally starting to show on stretch zone plays, but still have a lot of work to do on runs to the left.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #72
edgemyster
Struggling Lurkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Colquitt is amazing. He booted one from the goal line that came down on the opponent 40 yard line.
I ran that play back on the DVR and the ball actually went from the 4 yard line to the opponent's 25. That's 71 yards in the air for the mathematically-challenged among us.
edgemyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #73
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Wow. The broncos are a break?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #74
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Haven't seen any comments about Diedrof's comment after he interviewed Elway saying how Elway is a good GM but is still worlds away from Ozzie Newome. He really belittled John and over praised Newsome as only Diedorf can.
Probably cuz nobody really listens to Dierdorf....
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #75
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
What a drama queen.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote