The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 04:46 AM   #26
LRtagger
Ring of Famer
 
LRtagger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,768

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I'm beginning to wonder how long the broncos have known about Von's impending suspension. Starting to think the staff knew they would need Irving at Sam and that is why he wasn't really given a real opportunity at mike.

I wonder if he moves to mike when von comes back. Trevathan really got abused by their TE in that game.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:35 AM   #27
i4jelway7
Ring of Famer
 
i4jelway7's Avatar
 
loves haters & trolls

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,207
Default

my random thought from the game... John Fox is still a moron
i4jelway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #28
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,042

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
I'm beginning to wonder how long the broncos have known about Von's impending suspension. Starting to think the staff knew they would need Irving at Sam and that is why he wasn't really given a real opportunity at mike.

I wonder if he moves to mike when von comes back. Trevathan really got abused by their TE in that game.
They knew all along.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #29
DENVERDUI55
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I thought Clady looked good pass blocking but was hit and miss in the run game. He will be fine in the regular season he is just knocking the rust off. Manning and the WR looked good. I think the running backs need to be KM and Montee. Hillman is shows flashes here and there but is too much of a small flea.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #30
kent156
King of the Ants
 
kent156's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Paradise lost
Posts: 734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
I'm beginning to wonder how long the broncos have known about Von's impending suspension. Starting to think the staff knew they would need Irving at Sam and that is why he wasn't really given a real opportunity at mike.

I wonder if he moves to mike when von comes back. Trevathan really got abused by their TE in that game.

hope it was just a bad game by him but this is whole tight end problem is getting annoying on that goalline play for a TD irving just let the tight end run right by him no bump nothing and nobody picked him up too easy
kent156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #31
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,005

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Haven't seen any comments about Diedrof's comment after he interviewed Elway saying how Elway is a good GM but is still worlds away from Ozzie Newome. He really belittled John and over praised Newsome as only Diedorf can.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #32
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,725

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Pretty much agree. Kayvon Webster is a big and physical CB...his size definitely stands out with his size and he has speed. His technique needs a lot of work, but I think he will stick around in this league.

Hillman's fumbles have been getting a little overhyped. Everyone fumbles, there have been many RBs his size that have started in the NFL. Chris Johnson weighs less than him.

People need to go educate themselves on how many times RBs fumble in the NFL per season.

The top 4 running backs last season had 16 fumbles alone.

And lastly, it's the pre-season. If he's going to **** up and make mistakes, this is the time to do it. He will get coached and learn.

I also like DRC a lot. He has elite physical skills and talent. He's riding a one year contract so he'll most definitely be tuned in this season.
Sure, RB's who get a lot of carries, can fumble here and there. The problem with Hillman's fumbles are he isn't a feature back and will be in a rotation, so his fumbles stand out more since he doesn't get the number of carries that others do who do put it on the ground.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #33
chanesaw
Ring of Famer
 
chanesaw's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,255

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater
Default

Did anybody watch ManRam extensively? I didn't notice any glaring mistakes and after the game thought he had his best game of the preseason.
chanesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #34
CEH
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Yeah, id take this with a grain of salt and chalk it up to sample size. The offense is moving pretty dang well.
Let's hope so because it looks like game planning this defense without Von is something a high school coach can do well

I have a sick feeling we are going to see several 30 burgers put up by the opposing teams the first 6 weeks
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #35
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,725

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Good game. We still had some things to iron out, but you saw a peek at the awesome potential. Here's what I came away thinking about.
  • As catostrophic as Hillman's fumbles have been, I do believe he'll develop into a playmaker for this team. I just don't know if feature back is his forte. His size makes it easy to stand him up and he isn't strong enough to resist the strip attempts when he runs inside.
  • Ogletree is a really impressive player. Kudos to the rams for getting a real dynamic linebacker.
  • Our special teams tackling is starting to bother me.
  • Ryan Clady looks like best left tackle in football. If you didn't notice how powerful he was in really every aspect, just look at what happened to our offense when he left for precautionary reasons after the first quarter.
  • Zane Beadles is back to his hot and cold ways. He missed a couple of blocks and needs to finish when he gets up-field. It's preseason so he can iron that out.
  • Julius Thomas is probably not going to be that awesome. He may develop into a starter, but until he can block more consistently and get his route running down, he'll need to grow before he can reach his potential.
  • We miss Dumervil. The pressure was more consistent last year with him playing. But it wasn't all bad.
  • Malik Jackson has really stepped up and is taking his opportunity to get more playing time while Wolfe recovers. He'll continue to grow and will be contributor this season.
  • Woodyard is so much a better of a player than DJ Williams, it's not even close. I really look forward to him enjoying a larger role this season.
  • I don't understand why Nate Irving doesn't get more time and other people keep getting reps ahead of him. It's not like Terry Pearce (Pierce?) where he never did anything in preseason either. Irving is making plays.
  • Lerentee McCree won't clear waivers. And even trying to hide him on the fourth team won't work because he'll keep making plays late in games and people will see. We aren't deep enough at linebacker, and enough teams are thin enough elsewhere, where you can cut him and expect to land him on the PS.
  • Rogers-Cromartie looked good. With him, Champ, Harris and Carter, we will have enough help when all are healthy to still have a serviceable defense even during Von's suspension.
  • Peyton Manning is awesome. The rapidity of the offense was amazing.
  • Britton Colquitt is awesome.
  • Keep an eye on Kayvon Webster. He's going to hang in this league.
  • I'm glad they let Osweiller and the line get more reps in the second half. Osweiller needs the time with the ones so he can play on a unit that isn't awful and the line needs as much time as possible.
  • Best news of the night: No major injuries.
McCree was seen as an OLB in a 3-4 scheme and considered a pass rusher type and the Broncos reportedly beat out a handful of teams to sign him, so I agree, he won't make it past waivers.

Teams are going to go after the ball whenever Hillman has it. Teams know who is prone to put the ball on the ground, so while most defenses go for the strip as it is, they really will when Hillman has the ball.

Irving is making plays, though against mainly scrubs on the other teams. But it is encouraging since if he is any kind of player, he should be making plays at that time. But the Broncos just don't seem to have the confidence in him for whatever reason.

The DL play will have to step up with Miller gone and at least, stuff the run and make offenses more predictable. I am hoping JDR can come up with some schemes to generate a pass rush, at least on 3rd down passing plays.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #36
Action
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Sure, RB's who get a lot of carries, can fumble here and there. The problem with Hillman's fumbles are he isn't a feature back and will be in a rotation, so his fumbles stand out more since he doesn't get the number of carries that others do who do put it on the ground.
Of course, and his fumbles aren't excusable. It is pre-season and the point is, this stuff does happen.

Hillman has really only played in 2 pre-season games and people are already talking this crazy ****...and he's gotten like 20 carries total. Is 3 fumbles in 20 carries horrible? Yes, why yes it is.

But again, that doesn't mean he will fumble 15 times in 100 carries. It's all context.

His fumble at Seattle was an absolute freak play...the one over the goal line.

It's the damn pre-season... mistakes do happen.

I guess people just overreact here...just like last season people calling to trade Demaryius Thomas because of his fumbles. Running around talking about how he had 3 fumbles when 1 was a lateral at the end of the game with 0:00 on the clock. No one really has any idea what the **** they're talking about.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #37
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,725

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Of course, and his fumbles aren't excusable. It is pre-season and the point is, this stuff does happen.

Hillman has really only played in 2 pre-season games and people are already talking this crazy ****...and he's gotten like 20 carries total. Is 3 fumbles in 20 carries horrible? Yes, why yes it is.

But again, that doesn't mean he will fumble 15 times in 100 carries. It's all context.

His fumble at Seattle was an absolute freak play...the one over the goal line.

It's the damn pre-season... mistakes do happen.

I guess people just overreact here...just like last season people calling to trade Demaryius Thomas because of his fumbles. Running around talking about how he had 3 fumbles when 1 was a lateral at the end of the game with 0:00 on the clock. No one really has any idea what the **** they're talking about.
Protecting the ball is not a preseason thing. It needs to be an automatic thing no matter if preseason or not. Bad habits carry into the real games. You don't think teams around the NFL are not taking notice about Hillman? Defenses are going to go hot and heavy for the ball whenever he has it, even more so then they normally may do. Can it be cleaned up? Sure, no one is saying it can't, but it isn't something to take lightly either and excuse it away as "just preseason." Guys lining up incorrectly, missed assignments are preseason things, but fumbling is not. I remember a Bronco RB named Chris Howard some years ago who showed promise, but fumble issues in preseason and that ended his Bronco career and didn't get much chance with anyone else either.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #38
Action
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Protecting the ball is not a preseason thing. It needs to be an automatic thing no matter if preseason or not. Bad habits carry into the real games. You don't think teams around the NFL are not taking notice about Hillman? Defenses are going to go hot and heavy for the ball whenever he has it, even more so then they normally may do. Can it be cleaned up? Sure, no one is saying it can't, but it isn't something to take lightly either and excuse it away as "just preseason." Guys lining up incorrectly, missed assignments are preseason things, but fumbling is not. I remember a Bronco RB named Chris Howard some years ago who showed promise, but fumble issues in preseason and that ended his Bronco career and didn't get much chance with anyone else either.
In Hillman's case, I'd say it's things he can adjust on. He's not running out there in space and getting tackled + fumble...not like McGahee's fumbles.

Again, you guys are not taking his fumbles in context at all.

One fumble was a lucky/freak play and the other just required him to get to the ground quicker... most RB's in the league who get stood up like Hillman did will get stripped by a LB 9/10.

The fact that people really think Hillman isn't going to play anymore is just crazy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #39
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,355

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
30 plays in the 1st quarter - 30 plays!

In the red zone we are seeing a lot of running in the preseason, I believe this is because Gase is reluctant to use his red zone passing plays so teams can't prepare for them. My feeling is that in the regular season we would see different play calling inside the 20, including more pass plays.
Agreed. While the tempo is higher the play calls are pretty vanilla. We haven't gone very deep into the playbook
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #40
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???
 
cmhargrove's Avatar
 
Travis Henry's love child...

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 6,723

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
In Hillman's case, I'd say it's things he can adjust on. He's not running out there in space and getting tackled + fumble...not like McGahee's fumbles.

Again, you guys are not taking his fumbles in context at all.

One fumble was a lucky/freak play and the other just required him to get to the ground quicker... most RB's in the league who get stood up like Hillman did will get stripped by a LB 9/10.

The fact that people really think Hillman isn't going to play anymore is just crazy.
I think everyone understands what you are saying and no one (well, not many) are ready to throw Hillman to the trash heap right now, however, this has nothing to do with what you perceive to be "player development," it is a competitive and fluid situation. Here is what we know:

1. Hillman fumbles higher than the average NFL "starting back.". Even one fumble per game is totally unacceptable in today's NFL.
2. Fox absolutely doesn't tolerate fumbles in his run game. He is 100% conservative and plays ball control / field position football.
3. Hillman saw his reps greatly decrease last year after he fumbled.
4. Hillman doesn't bring anything extraordinary to the table yet. Not too fast, not too strong, not too explosive, not the best pass protector, not the best ball security.

I hope he pulls it all together, but he is just looking like a rotational guy right now. A healthy Moreno seems like a much better option to me until we see how Ball develops.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #41
FISH
Seasoned Veteran
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 409

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Offense ran 49 plays for 290 yards in the first half

Talk about up tempo offense. need to close because only 2 TDs out of 12 drives this preseason for the offense
All this without Welker.
FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #42
DENVERDUI55
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

The problem with Hillmans fumbles are not that he isn't securing the ball. It is he is trying and he is getting ball ripped from his little twig arms.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #43
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,888

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
The problem with Hillmans fumbles are not that he isn't securing the ball. It is he is trying and he is getting ball ripped from his little twig arms.
That happened once


It was inexcusable but I'm still not sure why the whistle didn't blow. Forward progress was clearly stopped
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #44
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,079
Default

I didn't see much of the game, but did Omar Bolden play? Could the early/middle part of the 2012 draft (Hillman, Bolden, Blake) be looking any more suspect?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #45
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer
 
Wes Mantooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Offense ran 49 plays for 290 yards in the first half

Talk about up tempo offense. need to close because only 2 TDs out of 12 drives this preseason for the offense
I believe the fruits of the tempo will be found later in the game (second half) during the regular season. A defense stuck on the field that long will simply be worn out.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #46
Rother8
Seasoned Veteran
 
Rother8's Avatar
 
Mhmugggggeeeee

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 350

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Hillman's trying to win the job and he's running wilder because of it. Last year in the playoff game he looked like a robot he was so scared of losing the ball. During the season he will probably temper down the wild running style.
Rother8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #47
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,005

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
That happened once


It was inexcusable but I'm still not sure why the whistle didn't blow. Forward progress was clearly stopped
Well Fox must have thought it was excusable because Hillman was in the very next series.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #48
SeedReaver
Seasoned Veteran
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 464
Default

The game was a blast to go to. preseason or not.

1. The offense was unbelievably fast. I've never seen anything like it. Was there time for commercials?

2. I was very unimpressed with Broncos fans. 75% of the stadium was empty after a light drizzle in the fourth.

3. I wouldn't be hurt if Hillman never touched a football again.

4. What happened to our defense?
SeedReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #49
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,357

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedReaver View Post
The game was a blast to go to. preseason or not.

1. The offense was unbelievably fast. I've never seen anything like it. Was there time for commercials?
Yes, but in one half Manning ran the Chiefs offense runs in two games. It was pretty amazing.
Quote:
2. I was very unimpressed with Broncos fans. 75% of the stadium was empty after a light drizzle in the fourth.
That wasn't a light drizzle. I would have left in the fourth quarter rather than endure that for some scrubs who won't be on either team in a meaningless game.

Quote:
3. I wouldn't be hurt if Hillman never touched a football again.
He wasn't that bad.

Quote:
4. What happened to our defense?
Nothing. turnovers and more special teams blunders.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #50
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,981

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

I agree the game was a blast. 68,000 in a party mood. A lot of noise for a preseason game.

I haven't seen anything out of Hillman that warrants further expenditure of time or effort. KM is the best back the Broncos have, until his next injury. Hillman looks like practice squad stuff.

STs suck. That's all there is to it.

The line can at least minimally protect PM as long as he doesn't hold on to it too long. Their run blocking is barely adequate. To the outside, it's not even that. The only run that made it around the corner last night was called back for holding. This is not the moving Oline of Shanahan's days. PM was picking up yardage in ten yard chunks, but I doubt that's going to work against teams with a better pass rush or good underneath coverage. We've got to be able to sustain a better running attack.

DT is great.

Colquitt is amazing. He booted one from the goal line that came down on the opposite 40 yard line.

Del Rio said his plan is to increase the TOs. Didn't see any of that last night.

The plan was preseason vanilla but there was one naked bootleg and a rollout with PM last night. I would counsel against too much of that. It's fun stuff, but Peyton is not a running QB by any stretch of the imagination. He just looks awkward when called on to do it.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:10 AM.


Denver Broncos