The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default Almanac: Expect a bitterly cold SB

The Farmers' Almanac is using words like "piercing cold," "bitterly cold" and "biting cold" to describe the upcoming winter. And if its predictions are right, the first outdoor Super Bowl in years will be a messy "Storm Bowl."

The 197-year-old publication that hits newsstands Monday predicts a winter storm will hit the Northeast around the time the Super Bowl is played at MetLife Stadium in the Meadowlands in New Jersey. It also predicts a colder-than-normal winter for two-thirds of the country and heavy snowfall in the Midwest, Great Lakes and New England.

"We're using a very strong four-letter word to describe this winter, which is C-O-L-D. It's going to be very cold," said Sandi Duncan, managing editor.

Based on planetary positions, sunspots and lunar cycles, the almanac's secret formula is largely unchanged since founder David Young published the first almanac in 1818.

Modern scientists don't put much stock in sunspots or tidal action, but the almanac says its forecasts used by readers to plan weddings and plant gardens are correct about 80 percent of the time.

Last year, the forecast called for cold weather for the eastern and central U.S. with milder temperatures west of the Great Lakes. It started just the opposite but ended up that way.

Caleb Weatherbee, the publication's elusive prognosticator, said he was off by only a couple of days on two of the season's biggest storms: a February blizzard that paralyzed the Northeast with 3 feet of snow in some places and a sloppy storm the day before spring's arrival that buried parts of New England.

Readers who put stock in the almanac's forecasts may do well to stock up on long johns, especially if they're lucky enough to get tickets to the Super Bowl on Feb. 2. The first Super Bowl held outdoors in a cold-weather environment could be both super cold and super messy, with a big storm due Feb. 1 to 3, the almanac says.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/s...almanac-082513
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Another payoff to the league to have a SuperBowl in one of the worst cities for January. Jacksonville couldn't accommodate the NFL when it was there and Atlanta was freezing cold when it was there awhile back. It should be New Orleans, San Diego, Miami, Arizona and maybe Tampa every five years.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
SlyEli

If the Broncos make it, they'll have already won 2+ cold weather games, either at home or in a place like New England, so I wouldn't be too concerned.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Looks like I took a job at Vail at just the right time.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Manning better start using a glove to prepare for it in week 1.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

NEW YORK-- Ronnie Hillman capped an all-time great SB rushing performance with an 18 yard TD run on the frozen tundra of Metlife Stadium as the Denver Broncos defeated the San Francisco 49ers 49-2. Hillman finished the game with 337 yards and five touchdowns on 45 carries putting to rest any durability and fumbling concerns that plagued him early in the season. Rahim Moore led a stellar defensive effort with 15 tackles, an interception and a forced fumble.

John Fox, often criticized for his conservative play calling is being lauded for making the tough decision to bench Peyton Manning and instead electing to run the wing T offense with Hillman, Knowshon Moreno, Montee Ball, and mid-season acquisition Bradley Van Pelt. Both Moreno and Ball also finished with over 150 yards rushing each.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
NEW YORK-- Ronnie Hillman capped an all-time great SB rushing performance with an 18 yard TD run on the frozen tundra of Metlife Stadium as the Denver Broncos defeated the San Francisco 49ers 49-2. Hillman finished the game with 337 yards and five touchdowns on 45 carries putting to rest any durability and fumbling concerns that plagued him early in the season. Rahim Moore led a stellar defensive effort with 15 tackles, an interception and a forced fumble.

John Fox, often criticized for his conservative play calling is being lauded for making the tough decision to bench Peyton Manning and instead electing to run the wing T offense with Hillman, Knowshon Moreno, Montee Ball, and mid-season acquisition Bradley Van Pelt. Both Moreno and Ball also finished with over 150 yards rushing each.

bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Actually expecting a bad winter this year. Figures the last winter I will be in Colorado and it will be a horrible one.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:38 AM   #10
Bacchus

I guess we can pray for a Denver/Atlanta SB!!
Old 08-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #11
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

lol, NY can have a SB but Denver can't?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #12
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Bring it. I barely even got to break out my winter gear last year.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #13
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I hope it happens in a way to teach NFL a lesson. Keep SB warm or in a dome.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #14
menonite

It's a little known secret that Vegas odds makers rely almost entirely on the Farmer's Almanac when setting betting lines.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #15
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I think the Super Bowl hsould be played at every site in the league round robin. That would be fair and economically cool for cities that host a team.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #16
Dendave
Ring of Famer

Echo

If the AFC/NFC playoffs have to be played in the "conditions" so should the Super Bowl
Dendave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #17
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I think the Super Bowl hsould be played at every site in the league round robin. That would be fair and economically cool for cities that host a team.
That is one dumb idea. No one wants to go to Minnesota in the dead of winter. Greenbay? DO they have 50k residents in that area? You think they can handle the hundred of thousands that come in for the festival all week long? "Today Jimmy, we are going to go over to Oshkosh and go to the NFL Tip Over a Cow Contest." Get real. It belongs in warm environment with the ability to handle a ****load of people.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #18
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendave View Post
If the AFC/NFC playoffs have to be played in the "conditions" so should the Super Bowl
When are some of you guys going to realize that those games are for the fans with season tickets. SuperBowl is for the experience for all and then the game is for the sponsorship corporate types as payback. No one spends a vacation of football and wants to do it in Detroit (again) or any other cold weather city.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #19
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

The Super Bowl is to decide an NFL champion.

It should be in cold weather in NFC/AFC titles are.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #20
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
The Super Bowl is to decide an NFL champion.

It should be in cold weather in NFC/AFC titles are.
Oh, so you are certain that the title games are in cold weather? What type of Almanac do you own? You pick a neutral site with neutral weather and is the most accommodating for all spectators and fans of the NFL. That does not include all of the North, Rocky Mountain region and Mid West.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #21
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
That is one dumb idea. No one wants to go to Minnesota in the dead of winter. Greenbay? DO they have 50k residents in that area? You think they can handle the hundred of thousands that come in for the festival all week long? "Today Jimmy, we are going to go over to Oshkosh and go to the NFL Tip Over a Cow Contest." Get real. It belongs in warm environment with the ability to handle a ****load of people.
No it is not a dumb idea, I agree with Garcia. It is not like the avg fan can afford to go anyway. It is all geared to the rich corporate CEO's who can make other people buy them outrageous priced tickets then put them up in swank hotels and cater to their every need.

Make them put up with bad weather and then maybe some of us will get a shot at going.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #22
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
No it is not a dumb idea, I agree with Garcia. It is not like the avg fan can afford to go anyway. It is all geared to the rich corporate CEO's who can make other people buy them outrageous priced tickets then put them up in swank hotels and cater to their every need.

Make them put up with bad weather and then maybe some of us will get a shot at going.
You don't get it. It isn't just for the spectators, it is NFL EXPERIENCE. Something is going on all week. It isn't just 70,000 out of towners; It is many more coming in as a vacation tied with the NFL. Just like all your buddies going into Vegas for March Madness.

I went to Miami when Denver was in it and didn't have a ticket (did sneak into the game though). We went to autograph booths and other activities on the beach. What is your Chicago going to provide like that in the beginning of February? Everything would need to be indoors to keep away from the cold. Ask anyone that went to Atlanta during that SuperBowl how much fun it was during the snow storm.

Don't be a hater. Just move to warm weather climate during the winter. Retire early so you can hang with the other Chicago folks heading to Lake Havasu or Florida.

Last edited by broncocalijohn; 08-27-2013 at 11:31 AM..
Old 08-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #23
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
You don't get it. It isn't just for the spectators, it is NFL EXPERIENCE. Something is going on all week. It isn't just 70,000 out of towners; It is many more coming in as a vacation tied with the NFL. Just like all your buddies going into Vegas for March Madness.

I went to Miami when Denver was in it and didn't have a ticket (did sneak into the game though). We went to autograph booths and other activities on the beach. What is your Chicago going to provide like that in the beginning of February? Everything would need to be indoors to keep away from the cold. Ask anyone that went to Atlanta during that SuperBowl how much fun it was during the snow storm.

Don't be a hater. Just move to warm weather climate during the winter. Retire early so you can hang with the other Chicago folks heading to Lake Havasu or Florida.
Chicago or other cold weather climates like NY are not going to be able to compare with warm weather citys but they can move fan experiences into convention centers. Since you brought up Chicago Mccormick Place is just south of SoliderS field well within walking distance. All the Major hotels are along Michigan Ave also within walking distance (though it is a hike), the NFL could do this but it comes down to money.

And yes my in-laws are one of those who head south for about 6 weeks every winter, they inherited the property from her parents. I have no desire to do the same in 20 years. The older I get the more I like the cold weather. I think it more because I don't have to be out in it like I used to.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #24
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

What a bunch of hooey. Yes, it's obvious that the northeast experiences serious weather occasionally during the winter months, but the chances of a major arctic system coinciding with the Super Bowl in the New York area are roughly the same as the Oakland Raiders winning the AFC.

The Farmers Almanac is fun. I buy it every year, but their weather forecasting is more entertainment than fact.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #25
Dendave
Ring of Famer

Echo

just something I found

http://www.sercc.com/SuperBowlClimate.pdf

Quick Fun Stats:
16 of 47 Bowls Played indoors(34%)
17 of 47 Bowls had a Trace or More of Rain at nearby AP(36%)
2 Bowls had Snow on Game Day (1982,2006)
1 Bowl played during an Ice Storm (2000)
Warmest High Temperature of 82 (1973,2003)
Coldest High Temp for Dome Game 16 (1982)
Coldest High Temp for Non-Dome Game 43 (1972)
Wettest Super Bowl .92 inches (2007)
Outside Games With High Wind Gust (1980, 1984, 1989,2007)
Dendave is offline   Reply With Quote