The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #126
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
TBD
True. Might work out.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #127
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Moreno is that guy, hopefully he can stay healthy until Ball develops into that guy. Did you think Ball would be battle ready right out of the box?
Moreno will go down as he always does just when we need him the most. He's by far the best back we have until Ball ages. I wish we had another proven RB not named Hillman that could shoulder the workload.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #128
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
That and MLB, which also didn't get fixed...
And S

I'm digging Nacho so far, but I have nightmares about his aggressive play is going to fair against Tom Brady looking him off or sucking him in with PA/a pump.

There were quite a few glaring holes that weren't adequately addressed. Here's hoping the young guys (Irving/Trevathan, Nacho, Ball, Hillman, Thomas, etc) all step up against premier competition.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #129
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
Fixing the running game was the number one thing that needed to be fixed in the off-season and we didn't get it done, instead we get a scat back as our feature back. How hard is it to be a running back with this QB and this set of WRs? An average back at best should look like an all-pro. Instead we'll suffer Hillman and crew.
My guess is you will be eating those words by game 6.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #130
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
My guess is you will be eating those words by game 6.
I'll be so very glad to eat crow.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #131
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Fixing the running game was the number one thing that needed to be fixed in the off-season and we didn't get it done, instead we get a scat back as our feature back. How hard is it to be a running back with this QB and this set of WRs? An average back at best should look like an all-pro. Instead we'll suffer Hillman and crew.
What did you expect them to do? Bring in Reggie bush? Jackson? Those guys weren't coming here. They used a higher pick on an RB. If they picked an RB in the first round people wouldve flipped out. I'm gonna wait until M Ball actually plays in ONE game that counts before I throw him to the curb
Old 08-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #132
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
What did you expect them to do? Bring in Reggie bush? Jackson? Those guys weren't coming here. They used a higher pick on an RB.
and they picked up one of the best interior OL in FA.
And they picked up one of the best OL coaches in the game.

Sometimes fixing the running game is more than adding a RB
Old 08-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #133
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
That and MLB, which also didn't get fixed...
All we heard this spring was Irving was the answer and he does look good, but seems to be in Fox/Del Rio's dog house now. You are right though RB/LB/S were my concerns...No Steven Jackson, Karlos Dansby love to be found.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #134
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
and they picked up one of the best interior OL in FA.
And they picked up one of the best OL coaches in the game.

Sometimes fixing the running game is more than adding a RB
Im still irked/surprised that Levitre wasn't interested in playing here.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #135
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
What did you expect them to do? Bring in Reggie bush? Jackson? Those guys weren't coming here. They used a higher pick on an RB. If they picked an RB in the first round people wouldve flipped out. I'm gonna wait until M Ball actually plays in ONE game that counts before I throw him to the curb
This would be a good idea for everything. Nattering nabobs of negativism are running rampant on this site. Everyone always assumes the worse with no evidence, things could just as easily pan out. I guess it's "keepin" it real" and that **** is cool these days?
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #136
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
They weren't coming here because we didn't pursue them. Draft picks are a hit or miss proposition, always will be. This team needed a solid solution and a proven commodity. We are close to having a Championship team and continue to flirt with unreliable unproven solutions. One missed block by Hillman and Ball at the wrong time will prove even more detrimental than just the uninspired running we continue to see. I hope Monte is the solution and he grows quickly to provide what we need...didn't have to be this way.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #137
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
This would be a good idea for everything. Nattering nabobs of negativism are running rampant on this site. Everyone always assumes the worse with no evidence, things could just as easily pan out. I guess it's "keepin" it real" and that **** is cool these days?
It's the timing of it that irritates me.

The preseason is no time to panic. Especially about players in their first or second years.

Often times coaches are already well aware of a player's strengths and are only trying to see how he reacts to the adversity of playing through his weaknesses and the subsequent coaching.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #138
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Im still irked/surprised that Levitre wasn't interested in playing here.
I'm not as surprised mainly because the FO has seemed to make its hay bargain hunting and w/ shorter termed contracts. Not saying signing a guard to a 4-year $23+mm contract completely comports w/ that, but I didn't see them making a 6-yr commitment at the $46mm Levitre was signed to. We will see how it shakes out, but I think they did plenty to address the shortcomings of last year's running game.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #139
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
I'm not as surprised mainly because the FO has seemed to make its hay bargain hunting and w/ shorter termed contracts. Not saying signing a guard to a 4-year $23+mm contract completely comports w/ that, but I didn't see them making a 6-yr commitment at the $46mm Levitre was signed to. We will see how it shakes out, but I think they did plenty to address the shortcomings of last year's running game.
I'm a Montee fan. Very confident he shuts everyone up by season's end.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #140
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
They weren't coming here because we didn't pursue them. Draft picks are a hit or miss proposition, always will be. This team needed a solid solution and a proven commodity. We are close to having a Championship team and continue to flirt with unreliable unproven solutions. One missed block by Hillman and Ball at the wrong time will prove even more detrimental than just the uninspired running we continue to see. I hope Monte is the solution and he grows quickly to provide what we need...didn't have to be this way.
I don't really see Bush as a legit RB that's gonna rack up carries and yards over the season. He's very good in the passing game though. I could see games that have him going 10 carries 20 yards with 7 rec 100 yards.
That doesn't really take care of the need. With Jackson id assume they didnt want to go the old RB route or McGahee would still be here? There wasn't much else out there. I don't think this offense needs RB as a priority in what they want to do. Just be serviceable(like you said in blocking). Few years ago I would be worried. But with today's rules in the NFL they are begging teams to pass. It's set up for heavy passing attacks and it looks like this team has a loaded shotgun waiting to go off week 1.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #141
fwf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
Ive seen enough of Hillman tell let you and everyone else know that he ain't "panning out". You make it sound like Hillman could "just as easily" be an all pro as he could be done with football after 2013. It doesnt work like that. Theres a enough game tape of him out there that any bright person watching is going to lean towards this guy being a dud. Those are facts.

And you might say look at last night and some of those big runs he broke off and I would say look at those holes our OL created and the fact that the Rams were playing off.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #142
txtebow
WARRIOR

Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
this coming from you after the Tebow debacle is priceless......
Tebow debacle? You mean the only season since 2005 that we've actually won a Playoff game in?

PS-I was NOT one of those who thought that we should've kept Tebow and NOT gone after Manning, but your venom towards a player who led us to one of the most exciting years of the last decade and your unwarranted support for a fumbling bumbling runningback with ZERO skins on the wall really paints your opinion as a tad more than absolutely ****ing worthless........
txtebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #143
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It just seems to me that Hillman is a change of pace- type RB. Given the stable of RBs we have, the RB by committee seems the logical use of these guys. None stand out, with the possible exception of Moreno in pass protection.

I have high hopes for Ball, and Hillman can still play a vital role, assuming he can demonstrate he can hang onto the ball, but there just isn't any star power in our running game.

The idea we should just cut bait on Hillman at this early stage of his career is just dumb.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #144
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
I'm gonna wait until M Ball actually plays in ONE game that counts before I throw him to the curb
I don't think anyone is ready to "throw him to the curb". But when Knowshon Moreno being our day 1 starter isn't out of the question I think it's fair that people have some concerns about our running game. It may work out, but I think most people were hoping to feel a little more confident that that.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #145
fwf

Quote:
I don't really see Bush as a legit RB that's gonna rack up carries and yards over the season. He's very good in the passing game though. I could see games that have him going 10 carries 20 yards with 7 rec 100 yards.
That doesn't really take care of the need. With Jackson id assume they didnt want to go the old RB route or McGahee would still be here? There wasn't much else out there. I don't think this offense needs RB as a priority in what they want to do. Just be serviceable(like you said in blocking). Few years ago I would be worried. But with today's rules in the NFL they are begging teams to pass. It's set up for heavy passing attacks and it looks like this team has a loaded shotgun waiting to go off week 1.
Shonn Greene for 3yrs and only 4.5 Million in guarantees was the move to make in hindsight. But Elway couldnt do that bc he couldnt cut Hillman after only 1 season without looking bad.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #146
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by menonite View Post
Hey, Napoleon was practically a midget and he almost conquered Russia. Q.E.D.

/Action
He was 5'7" actually which was pretty average in the 19th century.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #147
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncsCheer View Post
Why is this abortion of a thread still active?
I like how people use "abortion" for shock effect.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #148
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtebow View Post
Tebow debacle? You mean the only season since 2005 that we've actually won a Playoff game in?

PS-I was NOT one of those who thought that we should've kept Tebow and NOT gone after Manning, but your venom towards a player who led us to one of the most exciting years of the last decade and your unwarranted support for a fumbling bumbling runningback with ZERO skins on the wall really paints your opinion as a tad more than absolutely ****ing worthless........
Tebow led to Manning so no matter how bad of a QB he is it was worth it.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #149
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwf View Post
Shonn Greene for 3yrs and only 4.5 Million in guarantees was the move to make in hindsight. But Elway couldnt do that bc he couldnt cut Hillman after only 1 season without looking bad.
L O L
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #150
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Not to mention a critical one in SB XXXII that allowed GB to tie the score at 17 after halftime.
That wasn't TD.