The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 02:22 AM   #76
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Hillman has probably hurt his chances of being the opening day starter, but then again Ball hasn't done enough yet to say he's the #1 guy either. I'm guessing Fox will use all 3 RB's (Hillman, Ball, Moreno) and ride whoever has the hot hand.
Exactly. RB by committee is the rushing game prescription of teams without an Adrian Peterson these days in the NFL.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:46 AM   #77
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Sometimes I think we watch a different team.

That's how you describe our team last year? Talented but a bunch of cluster****s? We went on an 11 game winning streak with our wins averaging over a touchdown.
I have never seen a team that should have been winning easy turn the ball over like the Broncos did last yr.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:48 AM   #78
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I think if he's healthy Moreno by far the best back on the team. Maybe Ball has something to show but with RBS they usually are good by yr 2. Hillman just isn't a great football player. He's not a starter in the NFL. He's a 3rd down back maybe, but I don't even think hes that good at catching the ball or blocking. He's no better then Tatum Bell IMO.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:08 AM   #79
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
well 3WR hurts any running game by default in theory
Not true at all, unless your WRs are completely incapable of blocking or the opposing defenses don't put more DBs on the field to cover said WRs.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:11 AM   #80
Action

Adrian Peterson had 20 fumbles in his first 3 seasons.

Fans generally have very short minded vision and forget that these players are human and there are things called, mistakes, growth, improvement, and progression.

It's the pre-season for **** sake.

If this forum was used as any sort of source, which would be the absolutely worst thing ever, you'd think Moreno was a fumbleholic too throughout his career.

Look at Moreno's fumble stats...he's on the low to low-average end of fumbling amongst RBs.

Ronnie Hillman just had a bad play, but he's much improved from last year.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:14 AM   #81
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlayShay View Post
Hate all you want, but Hillman reminds me of Portis. Less carries in year 1 than Portis, but same issues with ball security that Portis had.
That is about the only thing they have in common. You could see the weapon Portis was the first time he carried the ball. Hillman looks very pedestrian.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:28 AM   #82
Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
That is about the only thing they have in common. You could see the weapon Portis was the first time he carried the ball. Hillman looks very pedestrian.
Portis benefited from playing behind a well oiled offensive line and running through holes that could fit a Mack Truck

Hillman is running behind a line still trying to learn a new scheme and technique.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:58 AM   #83
fwf

All those 15 extra lbs did was make him that much slower. But seriously, astute minds could see last season that this guy would never be the answer. I mean, at that point is he really worth a roster spot just to keep elway from looking bad? You draft Ball which tells everyone you dont have faith in Hillman. Why even keep him?

I find it very hard to believe there aren't many, many free agents out there right now better than Hillman.

Although, I love the idea of bringing in a fresh Moreno midseason again, theres no time for that now. Moreno is our 3rd down pass protector while Bell is our starter.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:05 AM   #84
Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwf View Post
All those 15 extra lbs did was make him that much slower. But seriously, astute minds could see last season that this guy would never be the answer. I mean, at that point is he really worth a roster spot just to keep elway from looking bad? You draft Ball which tells everyone you dont have faith in Hillman. Why even keep him?

I find it very hard to believe there aren't many, many free agents out there right now better than Hillman.

Although, I love the idea of bringing in a fresh Moreno midseason again, theres no time for that now. Moreno is our 3rd down pass protector while Bell is our starter.
Posts like this make me wonder if people actually watch the game or just read negative posts and roll with it.

Hillman had multiple 1st downs and had some nice runs, especially the one where he broke up the middle that showed exceptional burst.

And there were multiple times during the game where the 1st defender couldn't get their hands on him...and he finished 1 run strong lowering his shoulder for an extra yard.

Last edited by Action; 08-25-2013 at 06:09 AM..
Old 08-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #85
fwf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
I've never been fan of the scat backs. Just give me a couple of FB-like bruisers that punish the D and move the chains.
this.

Beat those LB's down so they cant keep up with our Fresh TE's and Welker in the 4th
Old 08-25-2013, 06:07 AM   #86
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

You can't coach someone to have bigger hands although one could argue his progress was stopped before last night's fumble..

If he can't hold onto the ball, the Broncos don't have much use for him.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:14 AM   #87
Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
You can't coach someone to have bigger hands although one could argue his progress was stopped before last night's fumble..

If he can't hold onto the ball, the Broncos don't have much use for him.
Yeah, they probably should have cut TD too when he had 14 fumbles his first 3 seasons.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:17 AM   #88
fwf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Posts like this make me wonder if people actually watch the game or just read negative posts and roll with it.

Hillman had multiple 1st downs and had some nice runs, especially the one where he broke up the middle that showed exceptional burst.

And there were multiple times during the game where the 1st defender couldn't get their hands on him...and he finished 1 run strong lowering his shoulder for an extra yard.

All those nice runs you are referring to the backs had huge holes to run thru.

There might have been a few plays where Hillman ran thru an arm or hand but I personally didnt see any full on tackles broken by him.

We've seen enough of a sample from Hillman IMO. He is not the answer and never will be. The brass are discussing this very thing this morning. They knew it in April when they drafted Ball in the 2nd, but tonight confirmed it.

Look for the Broncos to sign a RB early next week
Old 08-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #89
Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwf View Post
All those nice runs you are referring to the backs had huge holes to run thru.

There might have been a few plays where Hillman ran thru an arm or hand but I personally didnt see any full on tackles broken by him.

We've seen enough of a sample from Hillman IMO. He is not the answer and never will be. The brass are discussing this very thing this morning. They knew it in April when they drafted Ball in the 2nd, but tonight confirmed it.

Look for the Broncos to sign a RB early next week
All nice runs require good blocking. Not everyone in the league is Adrian Peterson. And no, the holes weren't as big as you say. Especially on the run where he had to run around the LT...a run someone like Montee Ball probably can't make because he isn't fast enough.

He's not a running back to break on full tackles, so I'm not sure why that's even expected... that's just illogical thinking. Are you going to ask the same from Jamaal Charles, Chris Johnson, Lesean McCoy...etc?

You are the only person in this forum who thinks they drafted Ball because they didn't believe in Hillman.

And are you claiming they will sign an RB to replace Hillman? You think they're going to sign an RB with 11 days before the season opener to take a roster spot on the 53?

Will you please never post again when it doesn't happen?

Last edited by Action; 08-25-2013 at 06:44 AM..
Old 08-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #90
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Yeah, they probably should have cut TD too when he had 14 fumbles his first 3 seasons.
In how many touches?

Too lazy to look it up, but I'm guessing it must've been like over a 1000 because Davis was seeing the ball 350+ times a season before he got hurt.

Hillman fumbles pretty much every game. He's not going to be cut, but it's not like he's going to see the ball either.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #91
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
In how many touches?

Too lazy to look it up, but I'm guessing it must've been like over a 1000 because Davis was seeing the ball 350+ times a season before he got hurt.

Hillman fumbles pretty much every game. He's not going to be cut, but it's not like he's going to see the ball either.
Exactly. You can't compare fumbles from a guy who gets the majority of the carries and touches the ball a ton to a guy who is in a rotation and gets a third of the carries, if that. I'll take the guy who fumbles 10 times with 1,000 touches to a guy who fumbles 10 times with 350.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #92
Action

Quote:
In how many touches?

Doesn't matter, unless you are assuming his fumble rate will stay the same which is absolutely retarded.

The sample size is absolutely so small...20 carries? Running backs have fumbled multiple times in a game and not fumble for the next 8-10 games.

You can flip a coin 20 times and get heads 15 times. Doesn't mean you can flip a coin 100 times and get heads 75 times.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #93
Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Exactly. You can't compare fumbles from a guy who gets the majority of the carries and touches the ball a ton to a guy who is in a rotation and gets a third of the carries, if that. I'll take the guy who fumbles 10 times with 1,000 touches to a guy who fumbles 10 times with 350.
Of course, but in that scenario both guys have fumbled 10 times.

I would wait until the regular season starts and evaluate his fumbling situation then... because as of now, his fumbles are far from being careless with the rock.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #94
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Wow, people comparing Hillman to Portis and Peterson is just.... Ridiculous.

Hillman will be lucky to break 1000 yards, he will never ever sniff 1,500 or 2,000 in a season. He's just not.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #95
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

What makes Hillman's fumbles worse is that two have been returned for TD's (seattle and st louis preseason games this year) and one for a long gain (KC game last year - 64 yard return by the Chiefs which should have setup a KC TD if it weren't for the inept Chief offense)

Long time Bronco fans will remember running back Oliver Ross in the mid-70's under John Ralston. Ross was a bigger back with talent but, like Hillman, he couldn't hold on to the ball. I remember a game vs Cleveland where he lost 3 fumbles - that pretty much sealed his fate with the Broncos.

I'm not giving up on Hillman yet. He did look good in the Baltimore playoff game (and he held onto the ball that day in 5 degree weather). But he's running out of chances. His career is reminding me of another small Bronco rb - Quentin Griffin. Griffin the Broncos starting RB going into the 2004 season and who had a big opening game against KC, only to be benched by Shanahan later in the season for crucial fumbles. Griffin was relegated to kickoff returns, blew out a knee on one return, and his career was essentially over.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #96
BroncsCheer

Why is this abortion of a thread still active?
Old 08-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #97
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Worst argument ever.

This is like saying everyone should drop out of college because Mark Zuckerberg did and now he's a billionaire.

TD averaged 1400 yds rushing his first three years. Hillman hasn't shown even a hint of that kind of potential.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #98
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Doesn't matter, unless you are assuming his fumble rate will stay the same which is absolutely retarded.

The sample size is absolutely so small...20 carries? Running backs have fumbled multiple times in a game and not fumble for the next 8-10 games.

You can flip a coin 20 times and get heads 15 times. Doesn't mean you can flip a coin 100 times and get heads 75 times.
So now you're arguing that the sample size is too small to condemn him for his fumbles, yet it wasn't too small for you to make this conclusion:

Quote:
Ronnie Hillman just had a bad play, but he's much improved from last year.
Can't have it both ways.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #99
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

People want to give up on Hillman so soon. Geez, this is only his second season, and these are preseason plays.
I mean, if he has a good run "Oh, did you see the hole he got to run through? ANYBODY COULD!"
And if he has a bad play "See, Hillman sucks! Cut him!" Even though the LB perfectly placed his helmet on the ball as he was crossing the goalline for a score.
The reason Ball was drafted because we need a bigger back, and I think the front office is expecting this to be Moreno's last season with the Broncos.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #100
txtebow
WARRIOR

Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem

In very limited action in the preseason he has 3 turnovers. When he has held onto the ball he's been pedestrian. In summary, pedestrian production coupled with turnover prone ball handling issues= get the **** off of our roster....and someone compared him to Clinton Portis?!?!? He's not even Tatum Bell!!he's G A R B A G E.
txtebow is offline   Reply With Quote