The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2014, 10:46 AM   #101
Sly_Eli
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lerentee McCray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Ha-Ha is the best S in this draft. Pryor is good but the only dude I would draft in the first over a DL or CB is Ha-Ha.
I'm really not sure why everyone likes him so much. To me he doesn't really make flash plays, and seems like an average tackler. Also potential character issues and I don't see the broncos taking him
Sly_Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #102
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Ha-Ha is the best S in this draft. Pryor is good but the only dude I would draft in the first over a DL or CB is Ha-Ha.
Pryor is the best Safety in the draft by far. He can play either Safety positions.
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #103
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly_Eli View Post
Oh yeah. Looking at what you said, my takes in this thread were nearly identical to yours in Req's mock. I'm not a big fan of bucannon or clinton-dix either. Pryor just has the look of a dominant safety to me. I also like Joyner but his size is a pretty big concern, and he might not be completely necessary with Chris Harris still around.
Your not feeling your boy Joyner anymore?
Old 02-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #104
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Pryor is the best Safety in the draft by far. He can play either Safety positions.
So can Ha-Ha. He was originally supposed to be a SS/LB hybrid coming out of HS and played there some for Bama before being moved to FS.

As far as being better, I don't see it. Pryor is more of a physical run stopper but Ha-Ha is better at diagnosing plays and reading the QB.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #105
Sly_Eli
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lerentee McCray

Quote:
Your not feeling your boy Joyner anymore?
I still like joyner a lot. Dude is a playmaker, in the same vein as mathieu was last year. Also is a 5th year senior and a heady leader. I've been less high on him since the title game, when it seemed like bigger blockers could take him out of the play fairly easily. And that's a pattern I've seen in some of the game tape I've watched on him. To add to that his frame doesn't really seem like it can put on much more size.

I'd still like joyner if pryor is off the board. They could both go before our pick, though.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #106
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I gotta watch Pryor more but initial projections say he'll be gone late teen's, early 20's.

I do like Buchanon though from WSU. Penchant for turnovers. We need that in the worst way. I don't think we can say we have a 10 year starter in Rahim the nightmare either. I'm not sure what the recovery process looks like for the injury he had and the likelihood he returns to 100%.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #107
Breaker
Bleeding Orange and Blue

My #1 would be C.J. Mosley, but unless we give up the farm to move into the top 10 it isn't going to happen. If we stay put, I would like to see either Shane Skov, LB, Standford or Roby the CB from Ohio State. I would also like to look at Weston Richburg for C late and Paul Richardson WR from Colorado in the 3rd.
Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #108
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaker View Post
My #1 would be C.J. Mosley, but unless we give up the farm to move into the top 10 it isn't going to happen. If we stay put, I would like to see either Shane Skov, LB, Standford or Roby the CB from Ohio State. I would also like to look at Weston Richburg for C late and Paul Richardson WR from Colorado in the 3rd.
Why would you take Skov in the first? And where does he play in Denver MLB?
Old 02-08-2014, 04:05 PM   #109
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Skov in the first? Even at #31 that's a stretch. He is likely to be a mid 2nd right now unless he blows up at the combine.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #110
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
I'm really not sure why everyone likes him so much. To me he doesn't really make flash plays, and seems like an average tackler. Also potential character issues and I don't see the broncos taking him
He reminds me of Rahim Moore to be totally honest...
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #111
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If the Broncos decided to use more a 3-4 alignment, Ford or maybe even Van Noy would be good options as pass rushers at OLB. I think the Broncos have what is needed to be a good 3-4 defense, a hugh NT in Knighton, bigger DL in Vick, Williams, Jackson, and Unrein, and hopefully Wolfe, and pass rushing OLB in Miller, Phillips,(who played in a 3-4 in SD), McCrary, who was a pass rushing OLB at Florida, and maybe one of the guys I mentioned to be drafted. Nothing beats a really good pass rush, especially when you have more than one guy to account for and in a 3-4, you have more flexibility to move guys around.

But they won't since seeme committed to a bland, 4-3 with DE's who aren't much of pass rushers, so Pryor looks like a good pick for safety with the top pick.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:24 AM   #112
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I like all three of the prospects you mentioned. Ford will be gone by 31 though. I have talked Van Noy and Pryor up. We may be lucky enough to land one of them. If Van Noy falls into the second we would be wise to move up for him.

But you just posted about this 3-4 switch in another thread. We play a 4-3, that at times functions as a 3-4. Injuries are a big reason we played as a more bland 4-3, and didn't operate with that scheme versatility we did in 12. Van Noy could always play SOLB and Von DE, which is what I suggested in my mock. That would give us even more versatility.

Plus Del Rio just signed a two year extension. The scheme and system are in place. It's time to continue to bring pieces in that will thrive in our scheme.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:32 AM   #113
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I'd like Van Noy in rd 1. He's fluid enough to play MLB, and it hedges our bets if Miller drugs his way off our team in a few years.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #114
Sly_Eli
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lerentee McCray

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
I'd like Van Noy in rd 1. He's fluid enough to play MLB, and it hedges our bets if Miller drugs his way off our team in a few years.
He's pretty thin/wiry and doesn't seem like he'd have enough strength to do well at middle backer. He fits in better at SLB, but we already have von for that.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #115
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
He's pretty thin/wiry and doesn't seem like he'd have enough strength to do well at middle backer. He fits in better at SLB, but we already have von for that.
Watch some more games of him, he engages and sheds blocks very well. MUG also mentioned him as someone who could potentially play MLB.

I think Von could play RDE, and Van Noy at SOLB. As BPC said we hedge our bets with Von and don't have to compromise our scheme. Van Noy is exceptional in coverage also.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #116
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
I love Van Noy, but putting him at MLB is a waste of what he does best. He is an OLB through and through. He could play SLB or WLB. Great at rushing the passer or covering TE/RB. He covers a lot of space and does awesome in space. Would love to have Van Noy on the Broncos, but with Travaython and Miller, I don't know if he fits.
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #117
Sly_Eli
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lerentee McCray

Quote:
Watch some more games of him, he engages and sheds blocks very well. MUG also mentioned him as someone who could potentially play MLB.

I think Von could play RDE, and Van Noy at SOLB. As BPC said we hedge our bets with Von and don't have to compromise our scheme. Van Noy is exceptional in coverage also.
I wasn't as impressed with his block shedding as with his edge rushing and speed. He gets off blocks with quickness, not strength, which is more fitting of an edge player than an interior player. He strikes me as soft, not really the mentality to play middle backer.

I'd much rather see them go with an established veteran at MLB through free agency *cough* Karlos Dansby *cough*.

Van Noy at SLB would be interesting but I think Von being a full time DE hurts the defense by giving him less versatility. I also like McCray (pass rushing) and irving (stopping the run) at the position, so I don't see it as a huge need even if you do move von to the d-line.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #118
Breaker
Bleeding Orange and Blue

Quote:
Skov in the first? Even at #31 that's a stretch. He is likely to be a mid 2nd right now unless he blows up at the combine.
Well Skov is ranked as the #2 ILB, and we won't get another shot at him. I think ILB is our biggest need..
Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #119
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I wasn't as impressed with his block shedding as with his edge rushing and speed. He gets off blocks with quickness, not strength, which is more fitting of an edge player than an interior player. He strikes me as soft, not really the mentality to play middle backer.

I'd much rather see them go with an established veteran at MLB through free agency *cough* Karlos Dansby *cough*.

Van Noy at SLB would be interesting but I think Von being a full time DE hurts the defense by giving him less versatility. I also like McCray (pass rushing) and irving (stopping the run) at the position, so I don't see it as a huge need even if you do move von to the d-line.
Well we certainly evaluate players similarly, cause I don't see him as a MLB per say either. Van Noy has very similar scheme versatility, but the edge Von has in pass rush, Van Noy makes up for in coverage.

I don't see this happening, and would not be thrilled with Irving and McCray if Von was moved anyway.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #120
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Skov is a better fit for a 3-4. Very good run defender, tho.

SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #121
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Well Skov is ranked as the #2 ILB, and we won't get another shot at him. I think ILB is our biggest need..
I think Skov will end up in the Arthur Brown/Manti Te'o range.
If we want to get him he will likely be there. He would need to run a really superb 40 to get out of our range. 4.6-4.7 is the only way he gets into the first round. 4.8-4.9 is a lock for mid 2nd or early 3rd.
I don't see him running a 4.7 much less a 4.6
Old 02-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #122
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Do not want Skov, unless the plan is to play him in a two down role. Andrew Jackson can fill that role as a mid round pick. We need a three down MLB, especially of we lose Woodyard.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #123
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Do not want Skov, unless the plan is to play him in a two down role. Andrew Jackson can fill that role as a mid round pick. We need a three down MLB, especially of we lose Woodyard.
I will take Skov if he comes in the 3rd.
I would prefer that MLB is taken care about before then but I will live with Jackson being the pick in the 4th-5th if we address DE,S & CB early.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #124
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

We will have my boy Quanterus Smith this year to rush from end in sub packages worst case scenario. Von obviously will rush from DE too. I'm not sure we will draft another early DE. If we re-sign one of our own or bring in a veteran, we will be fine.
LDE- Wolfe, Malik Jackson
NT- Knighton, X
DT- Vickerson, Sly
RDE- X, Quanterus Smith

WLB- Trevethan, X
MLB- X, Steve Johnson?
SLB- Von, Irving, McCray

I see more questions at LB and DB then at DLine. Just another quality depth body at DT to upgrade Unrein and Fua. Need a subpackage coverage LB and or a starting MLB.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:30 PM   #125
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

The Broncos could always find a spot for Christian Jones if they want a playmaker. He is athletic enough to play all spots and has a great skillset. Frame to get bigger too. Dallas apparently loves him, but apparently he has major character flags that they may not want to risk on, so I doubt we would gamble. At the end of round two go for it.

Last edited by Requiem; 02-09-2014 at 06:52 PM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: