The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth
Default Draft Magazines

Ok bros, what's everyone's favourite draft magazine? For the past decade I've been buying PFW's, but they've closed up shop.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

None. I think they are all terrible. They release them too soon, and by the time the draft comes, the prospects have been completely reshuffled and their values completely changed.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
None. I think they are all terrible. They release them too soon, and by the time the draft comes, the prospects have been completely reshuffled and their values completely changed.
ditto. Not one worth even contemplating at this point. I used to get PFW's every year just to have it for reference on how MUCH things change from March til draft day, but they are no more....
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Well damn guys! You're right of course, I don't understand why they publish before the combine results are in. Guess I'll just pick the cheapest one
Old 03-25-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Could be something MHR ends up doing in the near future. I haven't talked to Kyle, but if I am going to spend time on the writing gig, I'd like to at least have a downloadable PDF of players I've watched and did game review on throughout the year and have it available for Broncos fans to look at. Obviously it wouldn't be exhaustive, but a good 100 prospects or so to look forward to. Maybe.

Good idea?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:53 PM   #6
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Could be something MHR ends up doing in the near future. I haven't talked to Kyle, but if I am going to spend time on the writing gig, I'd like to at least have a downloadable PDF of players I've watched and did game review on throughout the year and have it available for Broncos fans to look at. Obviously it wouldn't be exhaustive, but a good 100 prospects or so to look forward to. Maybe.

Good idea?
Of course. It's your hobby and you enjoy it. I'd do things like that just for fun for sure if time permits.

All you're talking about is 3-4 choice games per prospect pitting them against the best competition, they are on the field only half the game, and you just look for splash plays. Whichever is the latest game of the season, check for fundamentals. It's usually a couple hours per prospect.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I think the internet coverage is the way to go. Technology once again outpaces the printed page. This stuff keeps moving from day to day and only the sites that keep updating and getting new reports are worth a damn.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

so to take this question to the next level. What are the best websites you all use?

Free vs. fee based?
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #9
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I think the internet coverage is the way to go. Technology once again outpaces the printed page. This stuff keeps moving from day to day and only the sites that keep updating and getting new reports are worth a damn.
Yep. I'm in the process of starting up a magazine/online journal with a buddy of mine who started a small business that focused on helping out veterans and then generated some products, etc. -- We decided we are going to do an online magazine, plus print based one for subscribers. We are getting over 300,000 hits a month on our website and they love our writing content -- so we are seeing if we can get a subscription based model going to gain some more revenue.

I think it will be a great get -- and proceeds will be donated to various charities involved with the site. It will cover politics, arts and entertainment, current events, men's health and various other things. Basically what we are deeming the "Premier Magazine for Men" -- I'll let you all know when it officially launches. Not asking for $, but you will be able to view our efforts trial free for the first month or so.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #10
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Yep. I'm in the process of starting up a magazine/online journal with a buddy of mine who started a small business that focused on helping out veterans and then generated some products, etc. -- We decided we are going to do an online magazine, plus print based one for subscribers. We are getting over 300,000 hits a month on our website and they love our writing content -- so we are seeing if we can get a subscription based model going to gain some more revenue.

I think it will be a great get -- and proceeds will be donated to various charities involved with the site. It will cover politics, arts and entertainment, current events, men's health and various other things. Basically what we are deeming the "Premier Magazine for Men" -- I'll let you all know when it officially launches. Not asking for $, but you will be able to view our efforts trial free for the first month or so.
Sounds great. Let me know.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:49 PM   #11
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
so to take this question to the next level. What are the best websites you all use?

Free vs. fee based?
For what? Draft prospect rankings? None. The only ones I really know about are nfldraftscout and nfl.com. And both are godawful terrible. The draftscout one is ok when the draft is like a week away, but so is Kiper and Mayock as well.

The way to go is really just to make a spreadsheet with collegiate production (I use cfbstats.com and just go through each team and ping all the Seniors) update it as the NFLPA, Shrine, Senior Bowl, Combine, and Pro Days occur. Plus, college awards are useful for identifying top prospects, 1st Team SEC, etc... I have all that data and then the players that pass the eyeball test get the film work. In the end, its a lot more accurate than the draft sites largely because they are doing the same thing, but for whatever reason, much slower.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #12
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Interesting, I'll check it out when you launch it.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:28 AM   #13
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Req.... after your OM draft you should give us a list of your top 100... maybe who would like to see in what rounds... notes about guys... **** I would print it off and enjoy my favorite day (week/weekend now :/) of the year even more.

Speaking of draft.... anyone pumped for that movie?? comes out April 11.

Also Speaking of draft... we should get some draft threads in the main forum.....

Speaking of getting draft threads in the main forum.... what do you guys think of Cyrus Kouandjiou, OT, Alabama in the second round He couple RT, or LG.... that's one big mean nasty O-line with him and Franklin both out there. Personally I don't think O-line is near the issue that everyone else does but this would be a value pick.
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:30 AM   #14
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
For what? Draft prospect rankings? None. The only ones I really know about are nfldraftscout and nfl.com. And both are godawful terrible. The draftscout one is ok when the draft is like a week away, but so is Kiper and Mayock as well.

The way to go is really just to make a spreadsheet with collegiate production (I use cfbstats.com and just go through each team and ping all the Seniors) update it as the NFLPA, Shrine, Senior Bowl, Combine, and Pro Days occur. Plus, college awards are useful for identifying top prospects, 1st Team SEC, etc... I have all that data and then the players that pass the eyeball test get the film work. In the end, its a lot more accurate than the draft sites largely because they are doing the same thing, but for whatever reason, much slower.
I mean like cbssports.com
walterfootball

I know you like to be your own scout, but to cross reference, and see 40 times and pro days and all that good stuff on one page is also a very valuable tool.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:31 AM   #15
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by iforgotmypassword View Post
Req.... after your OM draft you should give us a list of your top 100... maybe who would like to see in what rounds... notes about guys... **** I would print it off and enjoy my favorite day (week/weekend now :/) of the year even more.

Speaking of draft.... anyone pumped for that movie?? comes out April 11.

Also Speaking of draft... we should get some draft threads in the main forum.....

Speaking of getting draft threads in the main forum.... what do you guys think of Cyrus Kouandjiou, OT, Alabama in the second round He couple RT, or LG.... that's one big mean nasty O-line with him and Franklin both out there. Personally I don't think O-line is near the issue that everyone else does but this would be a value pick.

Well I drafted the guys, soooo 3rd/4th Best OT in the DRAFT!!!

pending his knee really is not an issue as the Dr. James Andrews declared.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:49 AM   #16
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Maybe others know about this site, but I was just directed to this by someone I know. It's a draft simulator, you pick what team you want to pick for and the rest is done by the site, using a pick of 3 big board prospects they have in order. I recommend using the Walter one since it's board is much more realistic than the other 2. You can also pick how many rounds you want to do. It's interesting to mess around with it to just get an idea who might be around when the Broncos pick in all the rounds. It is reinforcing my belief the Broncos should trade down and pad their roster with some very good mid round prospects so they aren't forced to bring in older retreads like they did last year, especially on defense. It is free unles you want to make trades and stuff, then you have to pay for that and other things I guess. Here is the site:

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:08 PM   #17
RocBronc
Pro Bowler

For me the best draft website is You Tube... O.K. maybe not you tube specifically but any website that has actual video footage of prospects. I'm not a scout or anything but I got tired of just reading other people's opinions of prospects and wanted to form my own. So leading up to the draft I like to watch as much video as I can.
RocBronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #18
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

I used to like PFW. But they stopped. I bought the USA Today draft magazine this year. The rankings seems to be holding up a little bit. But a major draw back is they are short on the players weaknesses. They one have one sentence on each player about there weaknesses.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:22 AM   #19
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
Ok bros, what's everyone's favourite draft magazine? For the past decade I've been buying PFW's, but they've closed up shop.
This is from Nolan Nawrocki who has been writing the PFW Draft Preview since Buchsbaum passed. It's in the same style as the past PFW Draft Previews have been, and apparently, has added a few wrinkles. I hope to get mine by the draft.

http://www.amazon.com/Draft-2014-Pre.../dp/1629370231
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #20
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
This is from Nolan Nawrocki who has been writing the PFW Draft Preview since Buchsbaum passed. It's in the same style as the past PFW Draft Previews have been, and apparently, has added a few wrinkles. I hope to get mine by the draft.

Downloaded it to Kindle. Thanks!

Nolan can get pretty "drama queenish" with prospects he seems to have an issue with, but overall, not too far off the mark.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #21
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post

Nice, thanks, wish I'd known about this one before I picked up my crappy Lindys
Old 05-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #22
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
Nice, thanks, wish I'd known about this one before I picked up my crappy Lindys
I like Lindy's after the draft, when they preview the season and give grades for the draft. Their one question for each team is why did they draft him, some are comical, others make you think. So basically the Raiders and Cowboys entire drafts are why did they draft him.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #23
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
I like Lindy's after the draft, when they preview the season and give grades for the draft. Their one question for each team is why did they draft him, some are comical, others make you think. So basically the Raiders and Cowboys entire drafts are why did they draft him.
I like Lindy's season preview too. Enjoys reading remarks for individual players on each team.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: