The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #51
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
NFL.com already has Rewind (did they stream their Thur games last year? I know NBC does for SNF)
Preseason games are through NFL.com as well. My point however, is that they will not have datacenters full of streaming servers. It is cheaper for them to use someone who is equipped to do this. That is where Google fits. Whatever it is will have an NFL fašade but be backed by an organization (like Google) to host and stream.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #52
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILife View Post
I know what you mean! Dial-up, sucks! I've been looking into this cable thing, I've heard so much about. You want me to forward over the information to you?

You know seriously he has a point that some of you clowns just want to ignore like it doesn't exist.

Most of the US (geographically) does not have fast enough internet to stream, HD for sure, and a lot of people have data limits.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #53
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
You know seriously he has a point that some of you clowns just want to ignore like it doesn't exist.

Most of the US (geographically) does not have fast enough internet to stream, HD for sure, and a lot of people have data limits.
I heard they got some internet out Californi' way
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #54
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
Preseason games are through NFL.com as well. My point however, is that they will not have datacenters full of streaming servers. It is cheaper for them to use someone who is equipped to do this. That is where Google fits. Whatever it is will have an NFL fašade but be backed by an organization (like Google) to host and stream.
This. It just makes sense for the NFL to get paid by Google and for Google to provide the hardware/software, massive data flow, logistics, expertise, etc.

It's such a win for the NFL that it'd by crazy not to do it.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #55
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

lol, who gives a rip? The rest of the world apparently does so what makes more sense?
Old 08-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #56
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Just thinking if google or Xbox did this and offered options I would be cool if

Prices could be
$300 - Entire NFL Season Plus RedZone App Access
$75 - One Team's Entire Season Plus RedZone App Access
$13.99 - One Month Subscription to RedZone App Access
$5.99 - Pay Per Individual Game

or in Microsoft's case they could have a lower price, since you are going to need Xbox Live Gold to access it, they could have XBL membership include the red zone channel app access free, and offer the whole season or team based packages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
As an Xbox fanboy myself, I don't want them having control over Sunday Ticket at all.

I can just see it now. For 1600 MS points, you can record! For 1600 more, you can pause!
Lol,

Microsoft is actually finally dropping the whole MS Points thing and going to actual currency that matches the country's currency. Thank God.
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #57
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

Quote:

Id watch in SD if the price was reflective ...... even if it was on a buffering delay (like 20 minutes)

you'd just end up at a sport bar for the games that matter.
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #58
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:

And not everyone can get satellite tv, because of there house placement, trees, HOA, apartment/condo rules, it's ugly, etc. What's your point?
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #59
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

Quote:
And not everyone can get satellite tv, because of there house placement, trees, HOA, apartment/condo rules, it's ugly, etc. What's your point?
I'm guessing his house placement has him behind some trees in a restrictive HOA mad condo that's ugly and has terrible data connections .... etc.
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #60
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJames View Post
Lol,

Microsoft is actually finally dropping the whole MS Points thing and going to actual currency that matches the country's currency. Thank God.
I know, freaking finally. They won't stop with micro transactions though, no chance.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #61
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Ok, so this is what I do if I'm running the NFL. Of course, I work in the real world and my living depends on sales and service, etc... so what do I know, right?

I'd tell DTV they can have the ticket, but that the NFL is also going to stream games via Youtube. I'd tell DTV that we (the NFL) will keep the contract at $1 billion and maybe even drop the price, if it helps them sell the ticket to their customers.

Then, I'd tell Google/Youtube that as long as they work with the NFL, provide all the logistics, hardware, software, massive amounts of fast and realiable data flow for the games, all across the world, they don't have to pay the NFL one dime. What Google provides the NFL is EXPOSURE.

Then, I'd work a deal with the networks, as these are the guys who provide the camaras, and talking heads for the games. The money that these networks provide the NFL is the lifeblood of the NFL so you gotta work something out.

All bases covered.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #62
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:

I bet if you cut down on at least a couple ..........s a day you could help the bandwidth problem globally.

We can get Sally Struthers to do something if you want.

Remember Jetmeck, just a few ...........s a day can save a streaming NFL game.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #63
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazi_kal View Post
I'm guessing his house placement has him behind some trees in a restrictive HOA mad condo that's ugly and has terrible data connections .... etc.
lol
Old 08-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #64
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

As long as I can watch on TV without it being online I'll be happy. I HATE watching games online.
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #65
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
As long as I can watch on TV without it being online I'll be happy. I HATE watching games online.
OR you could get the best of both worlds with Chromecast or it's appropriate facsimile.

See what I did there? I used Youtube to provide information and entertainment. NFL might have something here.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #66
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Do you know where Google gets a large majority of their billions of dollars in revenue from? Ads. This is just another way to put more ads on Youtube AND charge more to put ads on Youtube.
Yeah, but the vast majority of their content is currently free to them. Any ads they put over the top of that is essentially free money (minus hosting costs, obviously)

There's no way that model holds up over the top of billion+ dollar content costs. Oh, and the legacy Networks would never allow all NFL games to be broadcast for free over the internet. Would completely invalidate any reason they have to pay the NFL top dollar for TV rights.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #67
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
Or offer single game options. I would pay $10 to see the Bronco's play. To get to the 1 bill mark they are currently at they would need to sell 6,250,000 games per week. Probably not going to happen.

I am surprised DTV makes it work with a nut that high.
Guessing Sunday Ticket is a kind of loss leader for them. They're not making money on the programming itself. They just get access to the clientele willing to buy DTV for access to Sunday Ticket. And then make money on everything else they buy.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #68
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Guessing Sunday Ticket is a kind of loss leader for them. They're not making money on the programming itself. They just get access to the clientele willing to buy DTV for access to Sunday Ticket. And then make money on everything else they buy.
This is probably at least partially true. If it was a true loss leader they'd make it more widely available, yeah?
Old 08-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #69
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
This is probably at least partially true. If it was a true loss leader they'd make it more widely available, yeah?
It has to be exclusive somewhere. Otherwise it loses much of that value. If it weren't for sports, I'd drop cable in an instant. They all know that. It's why ESPN can charge cable providers more than anyone else.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #70
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
It has to be exclusive somewhere. Otherwise it loses much of that value. If it weren't for sports, I'd drop cable in an instant. They all know that. It's why ESPN can charge cable providers more than anyone else.
I just mean they'd make it available to all customers at a negligible upcharge, but maybe I don't understand the concept of a loss leader.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #71
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
This. It just makes sense for the NFL to get paid by Google and for Google to provide the hardware/software, massive data flow, logistics, expertise, etc.

This would be great but would it work on a consistent enough basis.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #72
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

It's only a matter of years before satellite television goes the way of the 8-track, box electronic store and DVD. The only question is does Direct TV adapt, or do they become Blockbuster or Circuit City? Ultimately, a la carte program streaming is going to win out. How many people only keep Direct TV because of sports programming? I literally only watch NFL, college football, college basketball, Breaking Bad and Walking Dead on Direct TV.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #73
Bacchus

Google should just buy the NFL.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #74
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post

This. And it will happen within the decade.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #75
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm done with cable and direcTV. I bought the madden CE so I could get Sunday ticket for the last time.

I'd rather watch the games on Monday through the rewind deal on nfl.com then have to have direcTV and deal with the hassle of calling them to get a deal on Sunday ticket every year.

I'm almost to the point where I'd rather just not watch the games at all if it means I have to deal with overpriced, bloated packages that I don't even want in the first place from cable/satilliete companies.

Everything should be available for viewing online and on demand. I'd pay for that.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote