The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #126
canadianbroncosfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Agree. Our best two backs are probably Moreno and C.J. Anderson. That's how mediocre Hillman is and Ball appears to be. Hope I'm jumping to conclusions on Ball, but Hillman has pretty much proved he is what he is.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #127
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbroncosfan View Post
Because a guy runs for 69 yards against 4th line scrubs and is hailed as the next TD, or at bare minimum a top two guy on the team.

So if you can't match that, he's clearly a scrub.
Ball's average per carry was slightly better than Anderson's was last week. It's almost like Ball's lack of touches are held against him. It's odd...
Old 08-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #128
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

[QUOTE=cmhargrove;3895824]People keep reaming the o-line, and they were definitely shaky. However, no one here has mentioned the poor blocking performance by Julius Thomas. I love the kid, and his catches were sensational, but we are a quarterback-first offense now and we're lucky that Manning came out of that game healthy.

If Dreesen had gotten the start last night, we would have many fewer questions about our offensive line. Once again, I love that Thomas is getting all the reps because he really has a place on this team now, but his run blocking and pass blocking got embarrassing at times.[/QUOi seen one play ride the end out of the way and the qb delivered a perfect pass....I made mention of it in the game day thread.. I am nor sure I see what you mean in regards to thomas
Broncos_OTM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #129
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Agree. Our best two backs are probably Moreno and C.J. Anderson.
wait, what? I mean I'd like to see CJ stick as the #4 RB, but what?
Old 08-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #130
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Against a top 10, maybe top 5 run defense too. I'll take it. I was thrilled we were able to pound it through for a first down in the red zone. That was good to see.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #131
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
When I see someone say something like this I think to myself "this person hasn't got a clue when it comes to running backs". While looking "ordinary" Montee produced very solid yardage on his limited number of carries. You are apparently looking for highlight plays while I'm just looking for quality production. I'll take 4.7 yards per carry all day long. If Ball can do that regularly it will be anything but "ordinary".
I'm pretty slow to criticize players. For example, last year when everyone was bashing DT early on I was one of his primary defenders. See this thread: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...ighlight=grade
I could tell early on that DT had serious potential, said so, and stuck with it. I also said early on that Tebow couldn't play. Turns out I was 100% correct on both counts.

So when I know a guy's good, I say so. When I know a guy's not, I say so. I haven't done either with Hillman or Ball, and it's really not fair to say much about Ball at all at this point. But so far neither has done much to excite me. Feel free to have a different opinion.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #132
Agamemnon

Quote:
I'm pretty slow to criticize players. For example, last year when everyone was bashing DT early on I was one of his primary defenders. See this thread: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...ighlight=grade
I could tell early on that DT had serious potential, said so, and stuck with it. I also said early on that Tebow couldn't play. Turns out I was 100% correct on both counts.

So when I know a guy's good, I say so. When I know a guy's not, I say so. I haven't done either with Hillman or Ball, and it's really not fair to say much about Ball at all at this point. But so far neither has done much to excite me. Feel free to have a different opinion.
Claiming CJ Anderson is better than Ball is saying something in my opinion. Mostly that you are clueless.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #133
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
wait, what? I mean I'd like to see CJ stick as the #4 RB, but what?
Yah, I'm admittedly taking my disappointment a little too far. Was really hoping to see a lot more out of both Hillman and Ball. We really need one of them to step up and ball for us.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #134
Agamemnon

Quote:
Yah, I'm admittedly taking my disappointment a little too far. Was really hoping to see a lot more out of both Hillman and Ball. We really need one of them to step up and ball for us.
Again, what were you hoping for out of six carries that Ball did not deliver? Are you confused? Did you think Ball was drafted because he's a walking highlight reel? Montee Ball is a yardage grinding, chain-mover, not a big play guy.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #135
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Claiming CJ Anderson is better than Ball is saying something in my opinion. Mostly that you are clueless.
Wait weren't you one of the geniuses who kept arguing that Tebow was going to revolutionize the game?

Yes, silly to say what I said. Admittedly. But seriously, at this point, I've seen nothing from Ball while Anderson was a pleasant surprise.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #136
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Again, what were you hoping for out of six carries that Ball did not deliver? Are you confused? Did you think Ball was drafted because he's a walking highlight reel? Montee Ball is a yardage grinding, chain-mover, not a big play guy.
I was hoping to say "oooh" a few times, the way I have when other young players showed flashes of brilliance and when on to become ballers. Again, and read this part slowly and carefully, I'm not saying Ball sucks! I'm just saying thus far I'm not impressed. With Ball or Hillman. I don't think this is nearly as controversial as you're making it out to be. I'm rooting for both of them.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #137
Agamemnon

Quote:
Wait weren't you one of the geniuses who kept arguing that Tebow was going to revolutionize the game?

Yes, silly to say what I said. Admittedly. But seriously, at this point, I've seen nothing from Ball while Anderson was a pleasant surprise.
I never said Tebow was going to revolutionize the game. I just saw potential in the guy which he has completely failed to realize. I went back and watched his rookie highlights recently and I know exactly why too. The guy made some nice throws in those three games and was exciting to watch. It just never developed for whatever reason.

Now get back to the topic at hand: namely the fact that you are being a dumbass when it comes to Ball. With Hillman I'm sort of with you, but that guys has a fair number of carries at this point and just hasn't shown much (for a guy who is actually supposed to be a highlight guy btw). Ball has like 11 total carries right now and only in preseason, and in his second game he produced well on his very limited work. I'm just not getting what you were expecting. If you had watched Ball play in college you would know that the guy is just going to rack up the yards consistently in a mostly workmanlike manner, not wow you with crazy moves or huge plays.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #138
TonyR
Franchise Poster

^ I hear ya Ag. But I don't think we really disagree all that much when you really get down to it. I'm just more disappointed/underwhelmed than you are at this point, while fully acknowledging that we don't have much to go on.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #139
menonite

Any time that dope Agamemnon calls someone "clueless" or posts , it's very important that we go back and look at his countless "TEBOW!!!!" posts so that we realize what an ignorant, argumentative douche he is. Not that it isn't obvious from his regular posts, but you really need to read his "thoughts" on Teebs to truly appreciate the size and scope of his stupidity.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #140
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #141
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
I wonder why Ball isn't getting more carries. It's like Hillman played mostly and then we went right to Lance Ball.
Ball was in there.

It is apparent that they gave Hillman every chance they could to let him win the job.

It also seemed that they want Hillman to be the feature back, spell him with Ball until Ball gets up to NFL speed and outright wins it. Fox gave Hillman a lot of carries last year considering he was a rookie but he didn't start him. I think anyone but Ball will start until midseason and he proves he can do everything he needs to.

Hillman protected the ball well last year, I think last night was just one of those nights where you wish it was a Madden game and could reboot. If he fumbles again the rest of the PS and into the RS THEN we have an issue.

I really though Hillman did well and if he had that TD we all would be talking him up more. That Fumble/TD drive was him making a guy in the backfield miss, side stepping then gaining 4-6 yards. I don't think they want more than that out of this run game other wise we would have a legit FB and be running out of I or Offset I's more.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #142
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll15Hyde View Post
Would love to see Trevathan given a shot
He was playing OLB last night, knocked down a 3rd down pass if I remember right.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #143
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
When I see someone say something like this I think to myself "this person hasn't got a clue when it comes to running backs". While looking "ordinary" Montee produced very solid yardage on his limited number of carries. You are apparently looking for highlight plays while I'm just looking for quality production. I'll take 4.7 yards per carry all day long. If Ball can do that regularly it will be anything but "ordinary".
Plus the fact that Montee knocked the CB/Safety back 4 yards while being tackled. If he can had out that kind of punishment a couple times a game he is going to wear out D's.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #144
Aftermath
Creep

Broncos | Flyers | Tigers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

The only thing that this game showed me is that we should have picked Wagner and Turbin.
Aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #145
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftermath View Post
The only thing that this game showed me is that we should have picked Wagner and Turbin.
Wasn't Joshua the guy here who big on Turbin? Someone pimped him hard.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #146
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
When I see someone say something like this I think to myself "this person hasn't got a clue when it comes to running backs".
Well, that certainly explains your belief in Tebow...
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #147
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftermath View Post
Or at least never let go of Bannan and Brooking.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #148
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
He was playing OLB last night, knocked down a 3rd down pass if I remember right.
Yes, but I think he can play MLB better than Bradley or Irving. And if he could work, then you have your 3 best LBs on the roster on the field at once (at least base package wise).
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #149
NorCalBronco7

Didnt watch all the game yet, but Montee ran well. I like how tough he is inside and how he always pushes forward. He doesnt hesitate and or look undecided. His pass protect was ok. I want to see him more in the next 2 games.

Hillman isnt a starter in the NFL imo. He cant run inside that well.

Julius is a beast. Hes fast and it looks like he has some good hands. His route running and run blocking have gotten better too. The Broncos passing attack is looking scary.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #150
kent156
King of the Ants

I do remember seeing woodyard, irving and danny t playing together at one point
kent156 is offline   Reply With Quote