The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Default A Nobel for Bradley Manning

Normon Solomon is correct. The Nobel Prize needs Bradley Manning more than the other way around.

MHG

Memo from Oslo: If Peace Is Prized, a Nobel for Bradley Manning

By Norman Solomon

August 12, 2013 "Information Clearing House -
The headquarters of the Nobel Committee is in downtown Oslo on a street named after Henrik Ibsen, whose play “An Enemy of the People” has remained as current as dawn light falling on the Nobel building and then, hours later, on a Fort Meade courtroom where Bradley Manning's trial enters a new stage -- defense testimony in the sentencing phase.

Ibsen’s play tells of mendacity and greed in high places: dangerous threats to public health. You might call the protagonist a whistleblower. He's a physician who can't pretend that he hasn't seen evidence; he rejects all the pleas and threats to stay quiet, to keep secret what the public has a right to know. He could be content to take an easy way, to let others suffer and die. But he refuses to just follow orders. He will save lives. There will be some dire consequences for him.

The respectable authorities know when they've had enough. Thought crimes can be trivial but are apt to become intolerable if they lead to active transgressions. In the last act, our hero recounts: “They insulted me and called me an enemy of the people.” Ostracized and condemned, he offers final defiant words before the curtain comes down: “I have made a great discovery. … It is this, let me tell you -- that the strongest man in the world is he who stands most alone.”

Alone Bradley Manning will stand as a military judge proclaims a prison sentence.

As I write these words early Monday, sky is starting to lighten over Oslo. This afternoon I'll carry several thousand pages of a petition -- filled with the names of more than 100,000 signers, along with individual comments from tens of thousands of them -- to an appointment with the Research Director of the Norwegian Nobel Committee. The petition urges that Bradley Manning be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Like so many other people, the signers share the belief of Nobel Peace laureate Mairead Corrigan-Maguire who wrote this summer: “I can think of no one more deserving.”

Opening heart and mind to moral responsibility -- seeing an opportunity to provide the crucial fuel of information for democracy and compassion -- Bradley Manning lifted a shroud and illuminated terrible actions of the USA's warfare state. He chose courage on behalf of humanity. He refused to just follow orders.

“If there’s one thing to learn from the last ten years, it’s that government secrecy and lies come at a very high price in blood and money,” Bradley Manning biographer Chase Madar wrote. “And though information is powerless on its own, it is still a necessary precondition for any democratic state to function.”

Bradley Manning recognized that necessary precondition. He took profound action to nurture its possibilities on behalf of democracy and peace.

No doubt a Nobel Peace Prize for Bradley Manning is a very long longshot. After all, four years ago, the Nobel Committee gave that award to President Obama, while he was escalating the war in Afghanistan, and since then Obama's dedication to perpetual war has become ever more clear.

Now, the Nobel Committee and its Peace Prize are in dire need of rehabilitation. In truth, the Nobel Peace Prize needs Bradley Manning much more than the other way around.

No one can doubt the sincere dedication of Bradley Manning to human rights and peace. But on Henrik Ibsen Street in Oslo, the office of the Nobel Committee is under a war cloud of its own making.

Norman Solomon is co-founder of RootsAction.org and founding director of the Institute for Public Accuracy. His books include “War Made Easy: How Presidents and Pundits Keep Spinning Us to Death.”

http://www.informationclearinghouse....ticle35819.htm
mhgaffney is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Like it says. They gave one to Obama. The thing has no value anymore. It's been entirely discredited as nothing more than a political trinket.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
nyuk nyuk

Manning did nothing but have a tantrum and lash out because he was denied the ability to openly solicit for gay sex. How is that a contribution to world peace?

The only people that think this guy is a hero are those who were already inclined to hate the United States anyway.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Nyuk Nyuk = nuts nuts
Old 08-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
Manning did nothing but have a tantrum and lash out because he was denied the ability to openly solicit for gay sex. How is that a contribution to world peace?

The only people that think this guy is a hero are those who were already inclined to hate the United States anyway.
You don't think it's valuable for the American people to discover that agencies of their government not only recklessly murder innocent people, but have a good time laughing about it while doing it? After all, they do it in our name.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
You don't think it's valuable for the American people to discover that agencies of their government not only recklessly murder innocent people, but have a good time laughing about it while doing it? After all, they do it in our name.
False dichotomy. You think it's OK to undermine US policy to air it out in public because a little freak was ticked off that the US military wasn't a homosexual meat market? Handle the **** in private, where it belongs. Have congress investigate it behind closed doors.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
False dichotomy. You think it's OK to undermine US policy to air it out in public because a little freak was ticked off that the US military wasn't a homosexual meat market? Handle the **** in private, where it belongs. Have congress investigate it behind closed doors.
A claim that I've never heard, except from you. Sources?
Old 08-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
nyuk nyuk

Someone can't keep up with context. Okay, moving on...
Old 08-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Someone can't keep up with context. Okay, moving on...
In other words, no source. More bull****.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Yeah. We should trust he lowest rated Congress in American history to investigate behind closed doors.

The closed doors are the problem, numbnuts.

You know what Lincoln said? "I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts."

Last edited by Rohirrim; 08-13-2013 at 07:31 PM..
Old 08-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
In other words, no source. More bull****.
Read about the case. Upset in part due to the "don't ask don't tell" rule.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #12
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Yeah. We should trust he lowest rated Congress in American history to investigate behind closed doors.

The closed doors are the problem, numbnuts.

You know what Lincoln said? "I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts."
Real facts that don't undermine US national security or foreign policy. I don't care what the polling is on Congressional popularity. There are proper channels for such things that don't undermine US policy. "Gee the TV poll says Congress is unpopular therefore we can't trust them with anything so let's throw classified info all over." Derp derp derp
Old 08-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #13
Bronco Yoda

Klinger from M.A.S.H. would be proud.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...Dx194ZkvirM3rJ
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #14
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Real facts that don't undermine US national security or foreign policy. I don't care what the polling is on Congressional popularity. There are proper channels for such things that don't undermine US policy. "Gee the TV poll says Congress is unpopular therefore we can't trust them with anything so let's throw classified info all over." Derp derp derp
The policy is insane -- that's the problem.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
The policy is insane -- that's the problem.
That's lovely but it's not appropriate to undermine US foreign policy and endanger Americans abroad because you have a stick up your ass. Take it to the appropriate channels - behind closed doors. Take it to a Congressional committee. We surely have enough pinkos in Congress that they'd have been more than happy to investigate this stuff.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #16
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Quote:
That's lovely but it's not appropriate to undermine US foreign policy and endanger Americans abroad because you have a stick up your ass. Take it to the appropriate channels - behind closed doors. Take it to a Congressional committee. We surely have enough pinkos in Congress that they'd have been more than happy to investigate this stuff.
There are no appropriate channels.

Dan Ellsberg found himself in a similar situation in the 1960s. He was sent to Vietnam by Sec of Defense MacNamara to find out the true situation. Ellsberg was a hawk but being there opened his eyes. He saw that the war was unwinnable -- and more -- that it was also morally indefensible.

Later -- Ellsberg realized that as an insider he had a special responsibility to act -- to end the war. Toward that end he released the Pentagon Papers -- the Pentagon's top secret account of how the CIA had staged the war from the start -- beginning in the 1950s.

There was no Communist aggression. The war was a CIA operation.

Manning likewise found himself with insider knowledge -- of terrible abuses and felt morally responsible to act. He acted on conscience.

The war policies are insane. We must stop trying to dominate the planet. Bring the troops home. Wind down the US empire.

We must learn to live in peace with other nations --and cultures.

MHG
Old 08-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #17
nyuk nyuk

SO, Gaff, you're saying that in the name of morality it was OK for Manning to not only undermine US foreign policy but to endanger Americans, especially servicemen, overseas? There were NO other options?

Rather, previous to his leaks he had documented psych problems and was recommended for discharge on those grounds. The dude has been nutters for some time and is now begging for mercy on account of his having gender identity disorder. He was teased in the military for being gay and apparently didn't like the "don't ask don't tell" policy of the time. I have a hard time believing this was no motivation. His behavior has revenge written all over it.

Oh and Manning disagrees with you -

"I'm sorry that my actions hurt people,” he told the court. “I'm sorry that it hurt the United States.”

"I should have worked more aggressively within the system,” Manning said. “Unfortunately, I can't go back and change things. I understand I must pay a price for my decisions.”
Old 08-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #18
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
SO, Gaff, you're saying that in the name of morality it was OK for Manning to not only undermine US foreign policy but to endanger Americans, especially servicemen, overseas? There were NO other options?

Rather, previous to his leaks he had documented psych problems and was recommended for discharge on those grounds. The dude has been nutters for some time and is now begging for mercy on account of his having gender identity disorder. He was teased in the military for being gay and apparently didn't like the "don't ask don't tell" policy of the time. I have a hard time believing this was no motivation. His behavior has revenge written all over it.

"I'm sorry that my actions hurt people,” he told the court. “I'm sorry that it hurt the United States.”

"I should have worked more aggressively within the system,” Manning said. “Unfortunately, I can't go back and change things. I understand I must pay a price for my decisions.”
Forget Bradley for a moment. He's not the issue. This is:

What is your opinion of that?
Old 08-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #19
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Forget Bradley for a moment. He's not the issue. This is:

It's in the name of US foreign policy, so it's okay?
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #20
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Quote:

The only people Manning endangered are the war criminals in the US gov't who launched these crazy wars.

Have you forgot that Bush/Cheney lied us into Iraq? Afghanistan is no different.

Manning was tortured -- so I'm not surprised by his statements. As Jesse Ventura famously said to Larry King: Give me a waterboard and in 15 minutes I'll have Dick Cheney confessing to the murder of Sharon Tate.

Immoral wars always justify dissent -- and informed action to stop those wars.

MHG
Old 08-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #21
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Precision shooting against threats or believed threats which preserve homes nearby after getting permission first. What's the problem? Taking the kids to Iraqi hospitals? It's safer for the US troops. I see nothing particularly scandalous here. Modern warfare is in many ways much more humane than in past times such as in WWII when we intentionally fire bombed hundreds of thousands of civilians as a tactic of war.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #22
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
It's in the name of US foreign policy, so it's okay?
"In the name of"? You think those people are so concerned about not hitting innocent people that they do things like that? No, they blow up a whole damned market, a whole damned airplane, or a whole damned apartment tower.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #23
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
What's the problem? [...] I see nothing particularly scandalous here.
Of course you don't, because nothing the US does is "scandalous", by definition.

Blowing apart a couple guys with cameras? They deserved it, didn't they?
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #24
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
"In the name of"? You think those people are so concerned about not hitting innocent people that they do things like that? No, they blow up a whole damned market, a whole damned airplane, or a whole damned apartment tower.
Using those who deliberately target civilians as an act of terror as a metric is an incredibly low bar, and beneath us.

In your dogma, as long as we're a tiny smidgeon better than the worst of the worst, we're doing Good.

That's just sick.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #25
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post
Using those who deliberately target civilians as an act of terror as a metric is an incredibly low bar, and beneath us.

In your dogma, as long as we're a tiny smidgeon better than the worst of the worst, we're doing Good.

That's just sick.
Pfft did you WATCH the VIDEO??

They took the little kids that their buddies shot up to the hospital.

I mean what more could you ask??
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote