The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2016, 06:23 PM   #1
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Default Looking Ahead to the Off-Season

Action had a good thread, but I thought I'd start a thread where people could give their ideas on what they'd like to see the Broncos do with their cap space and ten draft picks.

Preliminary Cap Outlook for 2017

With the expected increase in cap and not figuring a rollover (which we have $7M) -- DEN has $31M to spend in FA. That's with Okung on the books and doesn't account for getting rid of some dead weight. They have most of their starting roster intact and ~ 36 players under contract.

DeMarcus Ware probably retires, so I don't think we have to worry about bringing him back. Todd Davis and Brandon McManus are RFA's. They will be back for cheap, and it's possible McManus gets a long-term deal. Fowler, Bibbs, Paradis, Barrett, Raymond, Taylor and Kreiter are ERFA's and will be back for cheap.

Tendering McManus at a 2nd Round Compensation and Davis at original round tender, along with giving ERFA contracts to the aforementioned gives DEN ~ 22M in cap space (not including rollover, but rise in cap), before rookie class cap allocation or cutting of any dead weight of underperforming players which could save a couple million as well.

That should be good enough to get a top flight FA offensive lineman and perhaps another body on the defensive line.

I think the Broncos, out of desperation, probably have to pick up Okung's option. Market is thin at LT. There aren't really any other options out there and he hasn't been horrible. Here is what I hope for: They go after Zeitler (RG) from CIN. I'd also like to them to consider Riley Reiff (RT) from Detroit. Those guys are good starters in the league and probably the best names out there. I'm not really thrilled about anyone else out there, and Schraeder (RT, Falcons) was extended two weeks ago.

The one big homestyle FA question is: Do they re-sign Kayvon Webster, who has been a special teams ace or does he want to go somewhere that he can actually play CB?

I don't think they will bring back Sylvester Williams -- he has been a disaster all season long and is routinely blown off the ball at the POA. I'm not sure who is available in FA at NT -- I think Brandon Williams from BAL is, but I doubt they let him hit the open market. He's getting older, but Calais Campbell is a FA as well, Colorado roots and could actually be a decent rotational addition to a defensive front that has struggled to be effective against the run all year long.

Broncos Draft Picks for 2017

Denver is slated to have ten draft selections. They are without their original fifth-round and sixth-round selections due to the A.J. Derby trade and the second-year compensation for Vernon Davis. However, they did obtain the Titan's sixth-round pick in a draft day trade last year.

That means they have: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 (TEN) and 7 before any compensatory selections are handed out. OTC is projecting the Broncos to snag third round picks for both Osweiler and Jackson based on their AAV for their contracts. They've underperformed, but that probably sticks. Trevathan's COMP selection was moved to a fifth to a fourth, but who knows after suffering another knee injury. Ryan Harris is expected to net us a seventh round pick.

All those together and DEN has 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 6, 7, 7. Keep in mind, compensatory selections can be traded as well.

That's a ton of ammunition, and if Denver were to miss the playoffs, they could hypothetically be picking in the late teens or early twenties.

DEN needs to take advantage of a strong TE class. Howard, Butt, Engram, Leggett and Hodges could all be very good players. Heuerman's a bust, Green has never picked up his game and we can't rely on Derby to be the only threat (though that hasn't even been established) we have at the position. Those guys would merit an early selection, but they'd be worth it.

This is an incredibly strong RB draft class. I'm not just talking about the top guys like Fournette, Cook and McCaffrey. It's going to be filled with guys in the second and third day who will be big time contributors in the NFL. Obviously we invested a pick in Booker, but I'm not sure Anderson ever plays out his contract. He can never make it a full season. I'm not saying it's a first or second round need, but with our wealth of picks in the third and fourth rounds, we need to add another back to the sable.

Kamara from TEN (kind of reminds me of a Jamaal Charles like player, great receiver out of the backfield), D'Onta Foreman, Nick Chubb, Curtis Samuel (Percy Harvin like player), Royce Freeman (a favorite of mine, but banged up this year), Jeremy McNichols, Kareem Hunt, Elijah Hood, Donnel Pumphrey, Marlon Mack, Jahad Thomas, Perine from OU. Lots of potential here. Most are JR's, but with the lack of seniors, expect a ton to declare.

DEN absolutely needs to find OL and DL in the draft too. OT class doesn't have elite talent, but has some interesting players. Decent players on the interior. I think it's a strong group of guys at NT and DE. A lot of scheme diverse players with versatility. I'd like to see two OL and two DL drafted.

We don't need a ton of help in the secondary, but there are a **** of good CB and S in the draft. I've also been hoping for an ILB for a long time -- Cunningham or Foster would be sick, but we won't be spending a #1 on an ILB.

Elway get it done.

What do you guys want to see happen in FA and the draft. Name some names.

Last edited by Requiem; 12-04-2016 at 06:29 PM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2016, 06:33 PM   #2
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Holy smokes...Req this is a great write up.

But you missed one detail, Communication is key in a relationship. Thats why I make sure Kubiak/Elway know exactly why I'm not talking to them. - Jay Cutler Broncos 2017 Starting QB
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:35 PM   #3
wolf754life
Trevor>Brock

Elway is GOD

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TrevorisyourDAD

seasons over.
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:41 PM   #4
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf754life View Post
seasons over.
It's not over, but it's pretty clear we aren't going far in the playoffs (if we make it) given our incompetent offense.

I didn't even mention possible changes at coaching positions, whether it's Barone out at OL or not having Dennison be OC. This offense is just craptastic. I think it's a bit archaic. Our YPC is terrible. We suck at third and shorts. The list goes on.

It's just completely unacceptable.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #5
yerner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Sanchize

You guys are going to be really disappointed with the lack of turnover on offense. I bet Elway is way more patient with his draft picks developing. He will restock the defense.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:57 PM   #6
Sly_Eli
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lerentee McCray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
It's not over, but it's pretty clear we aren't going far in the playoffs (if we make it) given our incompetent offense.

I didn't even mention possible changes at coaching positions, whether it's Barone out at OL or not having Dennison be OC. This offense is just craptastic. I think it's a bit archaic. Our YPC is terrible. We suck at third and shorts. The list goes on.

Considering the relatively weak OL draft class, any interesting names in FA?
Sly_Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:01 PM   #7
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly_Eli View Post
Considering the relatively weak OL draft class, any interesting names in FA?
Andrew WhitworthLT 34 CIN TBD $9,000,000 UFA -
Luke Joeckel G 25 JAC TBD $5,300,400 UFA -
T.J. Lang G 29 GB TBD $5,200,000 UFA -
Matt Kalil LT 27 MIN TBD $4,942,650 UFA -
Sebastian Vollmer RT 32 NE TBD $4,187,500 UFA -
Evan Mathis G 35 ARI TBD $4,006,900 UFA -
Jonathan Cooper G 26 CLE TBD $3,637,251 UFA -
Gosder Cherilus RT 32 TB TBD $3,500,000 UFA -
Andre Smith RT 29 MIN TBD $3,500,000 UFA -
Chance Warmack G 25 TEN TBD $3,041,663 UFA -
Ron Leary G 27 DAL TBD $2,553,000 UFA -
Mike Remmers RT 27 CAR TBD $2,553,000 UFA -
Chris Chester G 33 ATL TBD $2,350,000 UFA -
Byron Bell RT 27 TEN TBD $2,250,000 UFA -
Riley Reiff LT 28 DET TBD $1,998,425 UFA -
Kevin Zeitler G 26 CIN TBD $1,886,050 UFA -
Jordan Mills RT 25 BUF TBD $1,671,000 UFA -
Austin Pasztor G 26 CLE TBD $1,671,000 UFA -
Tim Lelito G 27 NO TBD $1,671,000 UFA -
Matt McCants RT 27 CLE TBD $1,671,000 UFA -
Joe Hawley C 28 TB TBD $1,664,063 UFA -
Ted Larsen G 29 CHI TBD $1,650,000 UFA -
Marshall Newhouse RT 28 NYG TBD $1,500,000 UFA -
Jermon Bushrod G 32 MIA TBD $1,500,000 UFA -
Eric Kush G 27 CHI TBD $1,260,000 UFA -
Menelik Watson RT 27 OAK TBD $1,198,713 UFA -
Cody Wallace C 32 PIT TBD $1,160,000 UFA -
William Beatty LT 31 NYG TBD $1,100,000 UFA -
Eric Winston RT 33 CIN TBD $1,090,000 UFA -
Jahri Evans G 33 NO TBD $1,000,000 UFA -
Bradley Sowell LT 27 SEA TBD $1,000,000 UFA -
John Sullivan C 31 WAS TBD $885,000 UFA -
Jake Long LT 31 MIN TBD $885,000 UFA -
Ryan Wendell C 30 CAR TBD $885,000 UFA -
Benjamin Ijalana LT 27 NYJ TBD $840,000 UFA -
Chris Scott G 29 CAR TBD $840,000 UFA -
Jeff Linkenbach RT 29 JAC TBD $810,000 UFA -
A.Q. Shipley C 30 ARI TBD $785,000 UFA -
Tom Compton G 27 ATL TBD $785,000 UFA -
Larry Warford G 25 DET TBD $768,750 UFA -
Tony Hills LT 32 NO TBD $760,000 UFA -
Mike Adams LT 26 CHI TBD $760,000 UFA -
Sam Young LT 29 MIA TBD $760,000 UFA -
Vladimir Ducasse G 29 BAL TBD $760,000 UFA -
Michael Person C 28 KC TBD $760,000 UFA -
Bryce Harris RT 27 MIA TBD $760,000 UFA -
Trevor Robinson C 26 ATL TBD $760,000 UFA -
Brian Winters G 25 NYJ TBD $725,969 UFA -
Don Barclay RT 27 GB TBD $700,000 UFA -
Hugh Thornton G 25 IND TBD $683,845 UFA -
Nick Becton LT 26 CHI TBD $675,000 UFA -
Patrick Omameh G 26 JAC TBD $675,000 UFA -
Brian Schwenke C 25 TEN TBD $656,065 UFA -
Earl Watford RT 26 ARI TBD $648,716 UFA -
J.C. Tretter C 25 GB TBD $643,977 UFA -
Oday Aboushi G 25 HOU TBD $589,750 UFA -
Ricky Wagner RT 27 BAL TBD $576,140 UFA -
David QuessenberryLT 26 HOU TBD $568,363 UFA -
Manuel Ramirez G 33 CHI TBD - UFA -
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:10 PM   #8
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

So, basically Reiff and Zeitler.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:12 PM   #9
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Trump is human garbage

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
Holy smokes...Req this is a great write up.

But you missed one detail, Communication is key in a relationship. Thats why I make sure Kubiak/Elway know exactly why I'm not talking to them. - Jay Cutler Broncos 2017 Starting QB
Shut your dirty whore mouth.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:00 PM   #10
razorwire77
Champions of the World!!!

Greatest win/loss of all-time

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
TJ Lang too.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:06 PM   #11
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I doubt Reiff hits FA.

Zietler probably hits the market, Cincy couldnt sign him before the year.

Other interior G's potentially include TJ Lang, JC Tretter (He plays C but could move to G), Ronald Leary.

T's include Ricky Wagner but i doubt Ozzie lets him hit the market given the RT market is about 6 mil a year which is a steal in NFL money. Reiff mentioned too but i doubt he hits FA.

Would agree with keeping Okung frankly because we have no other choice.

Depending where we pick, trading up for Cam Robinson would be a good choice.

DL.

There's alot of good DL in FA.

Some names include Dontari Poe (KC has Nunez-Roches, Bailey, Howard, Jones soh es kinda expendable) and they gotta pay EB. Calais Campbell, Brandon Williams, Ian Williams, Tony McDaniel, Bennie Logan, Stacy McGee, Nick Fairley, Jonathan Hankins, Alan Branch.

Lot of good names.

Havent looked into the draft yet, this basically depends where Denver finishes, either finishes 10-6 or 11-5 and sneaks in or have a bad finish and get to 9-7 or 8-8.

Denver has the draft capital to get some studs from this draft.

Only UFA's worth keeping for Denver are Webster and Vance Walker.

Would Webster re-sign when he could start on alot of other teams? Walker was primed for a huge year prior to getting hurt. Those are the only real players worth bringing back of the UFA's.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:10 PM   #12
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Get them. It's just painfully obvious Elway can't draft O line.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:14 PM   #13
Dexter
Perennial Pro-bowler

Bay Harbor Butcher

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Our incompetent offense had us up 8 points against the Chiefs, only to see our defense blow that game.

Its unquestioned we need a better o-line and running game. But I'm excited about our future at QB. I don't think we should just give up on going far in the playoffs yet. If Trevor is healthy, I think we have a chance.

1-2 Oline in FA, 1-2 Oline Draft day, then at least 2 big dudes drafted and picked up in FA for the interior of the DL.

Our skill positions aren't bad. I dont see how we can justify taking a corner or safety in this draft. We're loaded at those spots.

good overall post though.
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #14
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post
There's alot of good DL in FA.
Here's the list: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/defensive-line/
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:08 PM   #15
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

SB50 CHAMPION BRONCOS!

I would like to see them steal Poe away from kFc. Vance Walker is a UFA, if they don't bring him back I would go after Richardson from the Jets.

I would love to see Zietler come in but not sure he gets out of Cincy. They may need to start a Rookie at RT. We need a LG too. Garcia is **** as is Schofield. Maybe upgrade the guards and get by with a rookie RT from a midwestern school like Mich, Notre Dame etc... If they can't get a vet FA Tackle I would consider moving up to get a good one in the draft.

I was going to start a thread wondering if Bibbs was a better RB than Booker and if he should get the majority of the carries but he was hurt today so it would be a wash. Booker can't break anything, looks very Hillman like only without the speed, leaves tons of yards on the field and behind a bad OL he needs to make plays when they are there. So we need to draft a RB. JT is bad, had a couple good carries early but has fallen off the face of the Earth.

TE is a big need, Derby is going to get better but still not a huge target and we need someone who can block better.

John is going to take a pass rusher and CB in the draft, probably another QB late too.

This is the year they need to develop the trenches on both sides, we have the skill players need some beef.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:34 PM   #16
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:

All those together and DEN has 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 6, 7, 7.
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:04 PM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Denver has lots of cap room which is nice. Lots of good FAs to help this terrible offensive line. Elway has lots of flexibility which is great. Hopefully he knows what he has to do to get this anemic offense going. As for the coaches, I seriously doubt heads will roll. I think Elway will do what he can to give the coaches the best players possible to fit the schemes. If, after next year, the offense is still struggling, then he might start replacing coaches.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:13 PM   #18
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Denver has lots of cap room which is nice. Lots of good FAs to help this terrible offensive line. Elway has lots of flexibility which is great. Hopefully he knows what he has to do to get this anemic offense going. As for the coaches, I seriously doubt heads will roll. I think Elway will do what he can to give the coaches the best players possible to fit the schemes. If, after next year, the offense is still struggling, then he might start replacing coaches.
Yeah, all the coaches have their "I won a Superbowl get out of jail free card" that they get to use this year. They all get 1 more shot next year, then heads will roll, maybe even at the halfway mark if it's looking bad enough. I can't stress enough that the Broncos can't just rely on the draft for OL talent. They've shown they can't draft well in that area, they have to go get 1 or 2 of the top OL FA's available, if they can. Sure we need another TE, a DT, ILB and probably a RB, but NOTHING IS MORE IMPORTANT then getting a frickin OL that works. Maybe even work out a trade or something. Honestly, I would dangle Lynch if it meant would could land a Joe Thomas, Marshal Yanda, Terron Armstead or Tyron Smith type of player.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:13 PM   #19
Pontius Pirate
Ring of Famer

IT'S ROMO TIME YA TARD WAGONS!
Pontius Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:28 PM   #20
Guess Who
Awesomeness

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PAIN

Quote:

That's a ton of ammunition, and if Denver were to miss the playoffs, they could hypothetically be picking in the late teens or early twenties.
I stopped reading after this... Broncos will be drafting in the 30's
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #21
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Bring back the tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #22
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Bring back the tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
Early 30's.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:55 PM   #23
cmc0605
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Oline is literally the only thing we need to be a SB contender. That needs to be priority.

Need a big d linemean to help vs. the run, Vance Walker should be back if I'm not mistaken, maybe a LB good in coverage to develop, but we still have a SB defense. I think Ray will be ready to be a full-time starter, and Barret needs to be around for depth, but they could add another talent there.

Unfortunately, I'm in the camp that our offense may keep being hindered by the coaching. That said, they can open things up a bit with a better oline. I fully expect Trevor Siemian to be the starter next year, and with a season of experience and another training camp behind him, they'll gradually ask more of him.

I think another big need is slot WR. Having a guy like Brandon Stokley or Welker to make those clutch catches on 3rd and 7 does wonders for an offense like this. I have in mind a shifty type of WR that can get separation, rather than a bigger type.... getting open and in space for yards after the catch has been a big problem for us this year.

I know we have a lot of WRs, and I'm not sure how Marlon Brown will contribute in the future, but in my mind the current guys are all #4 quality WRs. Fowler and Taylor might be good, but I think can be upgraded. Having another #2-3 quality would help a lot.

Last edited by cmc0605; 12-05-2016 at 02:58 PM..
cmc0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:20 PM   #24
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
We'll most likely be picking around 15-22 assuming we go one and done if we make the playoffs.

We have too many holes to make a run this year.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:50 PM   #25
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Can we actually hire an outside scouting company to draft offense for us. Reckon that's the only way we'll move forward on that side of the ball via the draft.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote