The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2016, 02:35 AM   #1
Guess Who
Awesomeness
 
Guess Who's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 9,442

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PAIN
Default Best defenses in the NFL

Pretty good article, surprising they had Denver as high as they did. R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page...erall-2016-nfl
Guess Who is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2016, 02:37 AM   #2
Guess Who
Awesomeness
 
Guess Who's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 9,442

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PAIN
Default

Great news on injuries..... Okung scares me. Good to see he is OK.

http://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2016...njury-updates/
Guess Who is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:01 AM   #3
bronc_fan23
Broncoholic
 
bronc_fan23's Avatar
 
Tag 'em & Bag 'em

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 241

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Agree with that top three. Seahawks look nasty again. They have some interesting match ups this year, including @NE and Philadelphia back to back.

I think they overstate that we've adjusted comfortably since the loss of Malik and Danny, but only in the sense that our run defense looks a little more porous than usual. Things that hopefully can be fixed, though.
bronc_fan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:07 AM   #4
Doggcow
He gimpy
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
But he doin alright now

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,940

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronc_fan23 View Post
Agree with that top three. Seahawks look nasty again. They have some interesting match ups this year, including @NE and Philadelphia back to back.

I think they overstate that we've adjusted comfortably since the loss of Malik and Danny, but only in the sense that our run defense looks a little more porous than usual. Things that hopefully can be fixed, though.
**** it, our offense actually exists. We can allow a few more ppg.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:09 AM   #5
bronc_fan23
Broncoholic
 
bronc_fan23's Avatar
 
Tag 'em & Bag 'em

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 241

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
**** it, our offense actually exists. We can allow a few more ppg.
Agreed. If our offense stays legit, then our defense definitely has some more margin for error as opposed to last year. Plus the defense will always have that clutch factor and can come up with a turnover at any time.
bronc_fan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:06 AM   #6
Guess Who
Awesomeness
 
Guess Who's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 9,442

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PAIN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronc_fan23 View Post
Agree with that top three. Seahawks look nasty again. They have some interesting match ups this year, including @NE and Philadelphia back to back.

I think they overstate that we've adjusted comfortably since the loss of Malik and Danny, but only in the sense that our run defense looks a little more porous than usual. Things that hopefully can be fixed, though.
Miss Jackson immensely. Trevethan not so much. Hopefully Gostes(SP) will step up and take that role on.
Guess Who is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #7
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 13,419

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

What's impressive was reading just how much of a hole our defense was put in last year. Just read those stats, and then you will appreciate even more what this defense did last year.

While Siemian hasn't avoided turnovers in a Wentzian way, the Broncos have been better with the football and managed to make life easier for their defense. Last year's unit faced a league-high 195 meaningful drives and went up against its fourth-worst average starting field position.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:22 AM   #8
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Commitment or Fear

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 25,059
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
What's impressive was reading just how much of a hole our defense was put in last year. Just read those stats, and then you will appreciate even more what this defense did last year.

While Siemian hasn't avoided turnovers in a Wentzian way, the Broncos have been better with the football and managed to make life easier for their defense. Last year's unit faced a league-high 195 meaningful drives and went up against its fourth-worst average starting field position.
I don't appreciate it any more. I saw the horror that was our offense last year with my own eyes. Quantifying metrics don't shock me more than the eye test.

Hell, I actually thought our offense was worse than that before look at the stats.
We did our defense no favors last year. That is why so many along the offensive personnel want to improve so badly.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #9
RonMexico
Hillary is obsolete
 

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Tejas
Posts: 1,916

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Respect?

They gave the benefit of the doubt to the team who is not coming off of an all time great performance.

Denver is #1 until proven otherwise.
RonMexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:52 AM   #10
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^
 
DENVERDUI55's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 9,703

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Minnesota is pretty damn good.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:01 AM   #11
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 13,419

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Minnesota is pretty damn good.
I don't agree with you often but this is truth. They're probably even better then damn good. Those guys are beasting.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:03 AM   #12
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 49,640

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Beasting and defeating people. Theyou really look good on defense.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:14 AM   #13
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^
 
DENVERDUI55's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 9,703

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I don't agree with you often but this is truth. They're probably even better then damn good. Those guys are beasting.
Yeah they are for sure. The great thing is we don't have to agree on much stuff. You have your tastes and ideas and I have mine especially in women.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #14
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 13,419

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Yeah they are for sure. The great thing is we don't have to agree on much stuff. You have your tastes and ideas and I have mine especially in women.
Cmon man, you're killing me on that LMAO
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:42 PM   #15
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13,076

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

One thing that we still need to improve upon, is in points allowed and rushing defense.
Too early to be at peak performance
Let's keep a good pace until we hit mid-December. That's when we should be playing lights out!
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:29 PM   #16
Brewer
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Centennial, CO
Posts: 1,114

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
One thing that we still need to improve upon, is in points allowed and rushing defense.
Too early to be at peak performance
Let's keep a good pace until we hit mid-December. That's when we should be playing lights out!
You mean the way they're supposed to play defense in the National Football League? Because that's how they do it.
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:23 PM   #17
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13,076

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer View Post
You mean the way they're supposed to play defense in the National Football League? Because that's how they do it.
Haha!!!
They haven't hit stride yet!

by December we're going to show people how to play defense in the National Football League!!!
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:49 PM   #18
Guess Who
Awesomeness
 
Guess Who's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 9,442

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PAIN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
Haha!!!
They haven't hit stride yet!

by December we're going to show people how to play defense in the National Football League!!!
I am not sure why the defense should get significantly better as the season goes on but the OL should be beasting by the time December rolls around. JUST STAY HEALTHY
Guess Who is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:21 PM   #19
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13,076

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
I am not sure why the defense should get significantly better as the season goes on but the OL should be beasting by the time December rolls around. JUST STAY HEALTHY
Well, both the OL and the DL as a whole is a combination of plug-ins.
We've been shuffling people in and out because of injuries but it should pay off later in the season for us, once the starters get healthy(-ier) and back into the line-up.
That's not a bad thing at all, though. We're giving our back-ups a chance to play and benefit from the absence of key players. This comes handy later in the season.

Shane Ray is making the best of his opportunity, Heuerman definitely needs some playing time, Sombrero, Garcia, Weems, Schofield are all contributing and getting playing time under their belt.

On the DL, we need to figure out who's going to anchor the middle of the line. We've been vulnerable to the running game and we're lacking push up the middle.

I agree that in another 5 weeks, by mid-season, providing that we don't suffer any more setbacks, we should be performing a lot better.
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:58 AM   #20
Punisher
®Spreading the Wealth
 
Punisher's Avatar
 
97,98,2015 Champs WOOOOOOOOOOOO!®

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Broncos Film Room
Posts: 9,150

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7
Default

Denver needs to stop the run they ranked 27 against the run
Punisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:25 AM   #21
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,901
Default

Run game has hurt them a lot, but they will not face 3 QB's with about 40+ yards a game very often. Those plays are more first downs and teams run much better AFTER first downs than in the initial 3-4 plays. So, if they can get off the field better on third and long's due to QB run plays, the whole run defense will benefit.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:12 AM   #22
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 28,025

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Run game vs Chiefs will be the issue if we win or not.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:53 AM   #23
Guess Who
Awesomeness
 
Guess Who's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 9,442

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PAIN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Run game vs Chiefs will be the issue if we win or not.
yep
Guess Who is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:57 AM   #24
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^
 
DENVERDUI55's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 9,703

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Run game vs Chiefs will be the issue if we win or not.
Run Defense is just fine. Aga says so.

Denver Defense is good but isn't as good as last year with the losses of Walker, Smith, Jackson and even Trev in the front 7. They don't have the same talent and Depth this year but they are good enough to be a top defense if they can consistently stop the run and the QB runs.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:27 AM   #25
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 28,025

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Ranked 27th with against 127 yards per game. Ranked 25th for 4.7 yards per attempt . Last season, this defense gives up only 83 yards per game. This can be a major issue for this season.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:42 AM.


Denver Broncos