The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2016, 07:42 PM   #1
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Default A closer look at current Broncos.

I want to take a closer look and have a a discussion on some middle tier players on our roster. I love the draft as much as the next guy, it's Christmas morning for the Broncos. With that being said, Elway has shown us year after year that the guys who are going to be the "new" contributors to this team are not rookies. I don't know if it's coaching, the weight room dude that JDR brought here, or a combination of both..... But make no mistake, we have become a powerhouse at developing role players. When Elway keeps a guy on the roster, the Broncos have a plan for that player. I'm going to take a position by position look at guys who I think will be new contributors for us next year that are already on this roster.

QB is what it is and can be addressed on other threads.

RB - Kapri Bibbs, I really think Denver would be comfortable going into the season with CJ, Bibbs, and Juwann Thompson. We've kept Bibbs around for a reason. They may still add someone but I expect him to be our 2nd back.

FB - Juwann Thompson - not sold on this but I do believe it'll be tested. Heuerman is not a FB. (I've seen that tossed around here, take a closer look at it before saying it. It just can't happen.)

TE - The Broncos aren't quiet about this one. Expectations are sky high on Heuerman. I've never understood why Virgil Green hasn't been given a legitimate shot to be a first stringer. Surely they'll add someone but I like the combo of these two.

WR - I don't see us adding anything more than UDFA - Jordan Taylor was the camp superstar way before Manning made him famous. I seriously think Latimer finally "gets it" and fits the theme of this thread. Latimer is our best blocking WR on the team, which will be more important than ever.

T - Opposite of the theme of this thread. Looks like we've filled this void with FA. We have to get better at drafting tackles, maybe the switch to ZBS will help.

G - I do expect Max Garcia to make a jump. Although the OM's confidence in Sambraillo being a legit starting guard is a little optimistic.

C - Hopefully Paradis makes a jump and definitely should. Depth is scary. Center is one of the most important positions in football. The best thing you can give a great defense is a great O-line. The best thing you can give a new/inept QB is a great center. Paradis's role for us next year is huge.

DE - Get used to the idea of Anninuke playing a big role for this team. Phil Taylor may have the reigns early on but Anninuke is one of those guys who has stayed on our roster for a reason and he will be given his shot.

DT- To the naked eye Kilgo looked great. Maybe he missed more gap assignments when you really put the tape on. For some reason the coaches did not love him. I'm expecting another flashy season.

MLB - I really do believe the other starter is on our team already. This is the most organic and longest tenured position on the team. I really do think we will have somebody on our current roster come in, start, and be effective.

OLB - We are rich in this department. We are Bill Gates rich in this department. If Barrett can trim up he can definitely supplant Shane Ray. I would love to see us find some formations with three of our OLB's on the field.

CB - Webster had the best special teams playoff performance I can ever remember seeing. I think he continues to improve this year.

S - Not much here outside of starters. I know he wouldn't start but I wouldn't mind a S in the 1st/2nd.

Anyways, I just wanted to point out the depth of our roster before we really start getting deep into the draft talk. I know a lot of have people have DE, MLB, and RB as definite needs for us given the departures. I tend to think that all three of those positions are fine. Rookies aren't going to impact this team as much as we hope, and that we need to look at our roster 2-3 years out. My thoughts: Safety is a long term need. O-Line can get better. Jaylon Smith will be BPA.

Anybody else think someone currently on the roster is going to make a huge impact? Or anyone think I'm putting too much faith in some of these guys?

Last edited by iforgotmypassword; 04-02-2016 at 07:56 PM..
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2016, 07:51 PM   #2
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I'll tell you right now, the Broncos will not take a Safety in the 1st round. Probably not even the 2nd round.

Also, JT2 will not be a RB for us this year. He just doesn't have enough shiftiness and burst. Tough runner, just not dynamic enough. Could he be a FB? I'm not sure.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:53 PM   #3
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iforgotmypassword View Post
I want to take a closer look and have a a discussion on some middle tier players on our roster. I love the draft as much as the next guy, it's Christmas morning for the Broncos. With that being said, Elway has shown us year after year that the guys who are going to be the "new" contributors to this team are not rookies. I don't know if it's coaching, the weight room dude that JDR brought here, or a combination of both..... But make no mistake, we have become a powerhouse at developing role players. When Elway keeps a guy on the roster, the Broncos have a plan for that player. I'm going to take a position by position look at guys who I think will be new contributors for us next year that are already on this roster.

RB - Kapri Bibbs, I really think Denver would be comfortable going into the season with CJ, Bibbs, and Juwann Thompson. We've kept Bibbs around for a reason. They may still add someone but I expect him to be our 2nd back.

FB - Juwann Thompson - not sold on this but I do believe it'll be tested. Heuerman is not a FB. (I've seen that tossed around here, take a closer look at it before saying it. It just can't happen.)

TE - The Broncos aren't quiet about this one. Expectations are sky high on Heuerman. I've never understood why Virgil Green hasn't been given a legitimate shot to be a first stringer. Surely they'll add someone but I like the combo of these two.

WR - I don't see us adding anything more than UDFA - Jordan Taylor was the camp superstar way before Manning made him famous. I seriously think Latimer finally "gets it" and fits the theme of this thread. Latimer is our best blocking WR on the team, which will be more important than ever.

T - Opposite of the theme of this thread. Looks like we've filled this void with FA. We have to get better at drafting tackles, maybe the switch to ZBS will help.

G - I do expect Max Garcia to make a jump. Although the OM's confidence in Schofeild being a legit starting guard is a little optimistic.

C - Hopefully Paradis makes a jump and definitely should. Depth is scary. Center is one of the most important positions in football. The best thing you can give a great defense is a great O-line. The best thing you can give a new/inept QB is a great center. Paradis's role for us next year is huge.

DE - Get used to the idea of Anninuke playing a big role for this team. Phil Taylor may have the reigns early on but Anninuke is one of those guys who has stayed on our roster for a reason and he will be given his shot.

DT- To the naked eye Kilgo looked great. Maybe he missed more gap assignments when you really put the tape on. For some reason the coaches did not love him. I'm expecting another flashy season.

MLB - I really do believe the other starter is on our team already. This is the most organic and longest tenured position on the team. I really do think we will have somebody on our current roster come in, start, and be effective.

OLB - We are rich in this department. We are Bill Gates rich in this department. If Barrett can trim up he can definitely supplant Shane Ray. I would love to see us find some formations with three of our OLB's on the field.

CB - Webster had the best special teams playoff performance I can ever remember seeing. I think he continues to improve this year.

S - Not much here outside of starters. I know he wouldn't start but I wouldn't mind a S in the 1st/2nd.

Anyways, I just wanted to point out the depth of our roster before we really start getting deep into the draft talk. I know a lot of have people have DE, MLB, and RB as definite needs for us given the departures. I tend to think that all three of those positions are fine. Rookies aren't going to impact this team as much as we hope, and that we need to look at our roster 2-3 years out. My thoughts: Safety is a long term need. O-Line can get better. Jaylon Smith will be BPA.

Anybody else think someone currently on the roster is going to make a huge impact? Or anyone think I'm putting too much faith in some of these guys?
Regarding OG, I think most expect Sambraillo to man LG, not Schofield.
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:56 PM   #4
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Why would anyone get used to the idea of Kenny Anunike playing a big role for the team? He has had six to seven knee surgeries in college and the NFL.

Why should we expect anything from Juwan Thompson?
He was inactive for almost half the season, most all at the end of the season.

They are going to add a running back in the draft.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:57 PM   #5
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfan View Post
Regarding OG, I think most expect Sambraillo to man LG, not Schofield.
Fixed. Schofeild still haunting me..... When will it end?
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #6
Aztec Bronco
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Corey Nelson

The ILB competition will be fun. Davis, Nelson and Anderson all intrigue me. Zaire Anderson seems to be the "upside" guy, but coming in at 220 last summer, he needs to beef up a lot to take the punishment
Aztec Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:07 PM   #7
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Nelson and Anderson are both 215-220 soaking wet.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #8
Aztec Bronco
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Corey Nelson

That's definitely an exaggeration for Nelson. Probably around 225. Still needs to put on weight himself.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #9
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Why would anyone get used to the idea of Kenny Anunike playing a big role for the team? He has had six to seven knee surgeries in college and the NFL.

Why should we expect anything from Juwan Thompson?
He was inactive for almost half the season, most all at the end of the season.

They are going to add a running back in the draft.
I also see a TE in the top 3 rounds along with a 3-4 DE and a RB.
thsts with Elway getting Kap of course. If not, Presscott will go with one of the top two picks.
socalorado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #10
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I'll tell you right now, the Broncos will not take a Safety in the 1st round. Probably not even the 2nd round.

Also, JT2 will not be a RB for us this year. He just doesn't have enough shiftiness and burst. Tough runner, just not dynamic enough. Could he be a FB? I'm not sure.
I expect a S in the third round with one of the 2 picks. DE will definitely happen in 1 or 2, not sure if the other will be QB or something else. RB in 4th or 5th imo, maybe with the other 3rd though.
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:23 PM   #11
Aztec Bronco
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Corey Nelson

I could see a safety in the 2nd since I expect all the quality safeties who can play a lot right away to be gone by our 3rd round picks. We played three safeties quite a bit, so someone will be needed to step into that role unless we just use Webster and have either he or Roby move to safety in 6 DB packages (which I'm not opposed to either). I could see us going DE and S with our first two picks and then committing almost all the rest of our picks to the offense, tbh. Maybe an ILB at some point late.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:51 PM   #12
orinjkrush

Money

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mcmanus

I'm thinking something in this order: QB, DT/DE, G, RB, TE, S, FB, ILB, WR, KR

mostly 'cause of where the talent will fall, but also 'cause of need.

7 O and 3 D
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:58 PM   #13
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by iforgotmypassword View Post

TE - The Broncos aren't quiet about this one. Expectations are sky high on Heuerman.

Expectations are Sky high for a 5th round cripple who caught all of 0 passes against Oregon and Alabama combined and taken in the 3rd round and got hurt again and Elway hasn't mentioned him AT ALL this offseason?

Picks

1. Shaq Lawson, DE Clemson
2. Deion Jones, WLB LSU
3. Willie Henry, DT Michigan
4. Sebastian Tretola, G Arkansas
5. DeAndre Houston-Carson, S William & Mary
5. Mike Thomas, WR Southern Miss

UDFA Signings:
Nile Lawrence-Stample, DT Florida State (Stud!)
Mike Hilton, CB Ole Miss
Ricardo Louis, WR Auburn
Joseph Cheek, OT/OG Texas A&M
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:33 PM   #14
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Kubiak on Kapri:

“He hasn’t done anything in this league so it’s time to go do something,’’ Kubiak said. “That means he’s going to have to take a big step as a player, as a special teams player; he’s got to work himself into that. He shows flashes of 'I can do this', but it needs to be on a consistent basis, and he and I have had that talk. The talent is there … it’s going to be up to him.’’
Old 04-02-2016, 09:45 PM   #15
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Hopeful for something close to this. Of course this is if DEN gets KAP.
1ST TE HUNTER HENRY ARK
2ND DE JOHNATHAN BULLARD FLA
3RD RB ALEX COLLINS ARK
3RD S KJ DILLON WV

If DEN doesn't get KAP plug in QB Dak Prescott in the 1st.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:46 PM   #16
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Prescott in the first, are you high?
Old 04-02-2016, 09:47 PM   #17
Aztec Bronco
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Corey Nelson

Quote:
Kubiak on Kapri:

He hasnt done anything in this league so its time to go do something, Kubiak said. That means hes going to have to take a big step as a player, as a special teams player; hes got to work himself into that. He shows flashes of 'I can do this', but it needs to be on a consistent basis, and he and I have had that talk. The talent is there its going to be up to him.
Not particularly glowing...
Old 04-02-2016, 09:50 PM   #18
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Prescott in the first, are you high?
Dude. It's really the last pick. Waiting until the end of the 2nd and he very well could be gone. Hes rising up draft boards.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:52 PM   #19
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

C.J. Anderson's deal is essentially two years for him to prove he's worth a hoot long-term and by 2018, they can cut him with no dead money.

The Broncos don't have anyone else behind him as a true, viable option and they'd be stupid not to draft a guy somewhere in this class.

If C.J. Anderson gets hurt, you don't want Thompson or Bibbs toting the rock full-time.

They WILL draft somebody. Guaranteed.

I'm hoping for Kenneth Dixon.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:53 PM   #20
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Dude. It's really the last pick. Waiting until the end of the 2nd and he very well could be gone. Hes rising up draft boards.
The only way the Broncos are drafting Prescott at #31 is if someone close to Dak, perhaps his entire family, holds the entire pro personnel and scouting department hostage and forces them to make that pick.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:27 PM   #21
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

If DEN takes Prescott anywhere before 5, it will be inexplicable.

Picks

1. Shaq Lawson, DE Clemson
2. Deion Jones, WLB LSU
3. Willie Henry, DT Michigan
4. Sebastian Tretola, G Arkansas
5. DeAndre Houston-Carson, S William & Mary
5. Mike Thomas, WR Southern Miss

UDFA Signings:
Nile Lawrence-Stample, DT Florida State (Stud!)
Mike Hilton, CB Ole Miss
Ricardo Louis, WR Auburn
Joseph Cheek, OT/OG Texas A&M
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:49 PM   #22
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Anywhere before the 5th!?!?!
Old 04-02-2016, 11:37 PM   #23
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Why is it optimistic to think Sambrailo will be a legit starting guard?
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:50 PM   #24
Shananahan
#snakelife

BLASTED

Well, you see, 'optimistic' means that one is hopeful and positive for the future, so...
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:59 PM   #25
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
lol SoCal...
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote