The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Camp Confidential: Denver Broncos

THREE HOT ISSUES

1. Deal with it. Former Broncos defensive end Alfred Williams might have said it best. Williams said the Broncos are the only team in the league "with 20 preseason games."

So true. After a 13-3 finish that included an 11-game winning streak dissolved into a crushing playoff loss to the Ravens, the team's fan base essentially sees the coming regular season as little more than an inconvenience before another postseason chance.

2. Front-line issues. Left tackle Ryan Clady, a newly minted five-year, $52.5 million contract in hand, is still working back from offseason shoulder surgery and is not yet 100 percent.

Center J.D. Walton had ankle surgery just before minicamp and isn't expected back in the lineup until late October or early November at the earliest. He was just seen at the Broncos' complex this past week without a walking boot on for the first time since the operation.

Walton's backup, Dan Koppen, tore his ACL in the first week of training camp and is done for the year.

It leaves Manny Ramirez, who just started his first career game at center in the Broncos' preseason opener in San Francisco, and 31-year-old Ryan Lilja, who was signed out of retirement after two surgeries (knee, toe) earlier in the offseason, as the options in the middle.

3. Defense will tell the tale. We get it, it's a quarterback league. The rulebook essentially begs/demands that people put the ball in the air almost nonstop in any situation. Offense puts people in the seats.

Whatever. Remind me, but wasn't the Super Bowl -- a Super Bowl played by the two teams that ran the ball the most during the playoffs -- won on a goal-line stand when an offense couldn't/wouldn't punch it in from the doorstep?

The Broncos put up 35 points this past January and were sent home to the collective couch. And when you get right down to it, in back-to-back playoff losses, the Broncos have surrendered 694 passing yards and nine passing touchdowns with just one interception and one sack combined against Tom Brady to close out the 2011 season and Joe Flacco to close out 2012.

REASON FOR OPTIMISM

It's a talented roster with one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time behind center and a remember-when defensive talent bursting with potential in Miller. Denver is a balanced team that finished in the top five in both offense and defense last season with one of the great home-field advantages in the league. Oh, and the guy running the team is a Hall of Fame quarterback who knows a thing or two about what a title-winning locker room should look like.

REASON FOR PESSIMISM

There are some in the league who looked at the Broncos' drama-filled offseason and said they had the tumultuous profile of a team that had won the Super Bowl instead of losing two rounds before the title game. The Broncos have had the infamous fax issues, the off-the-field troubles, a reality show, a looming suspension of a superstar and more than their share of injuries. Maybe when the games count, none of that will matter, but history is littered with teams that put the championship cart before the horse, content to enjoy the fruits of potential rather than the actual title.

For the rest http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...tial-broncos-3
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
Bacchus

People need to click on the link. That was a great article.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I clicked on the link and it redirected me back to this thread.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

So much nicer reading articles like that than the crap Bill Williamson put out.

Great hire of Jeff Legwold for ESPN.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

My biggest concerns:
The Broncos put up 35 points this past January and were sent home to the collective couch. And when you get right down to it, in back-to-back playoff losses, the Broncos have surrendered 694 passing yards and nine passing touchdowns with just one interception and one sack combined against Tom Brady to close out the 2011 season and Joe Flacco to close out 2012.

And lets be real, Denver's home field advantage is a thing of the past. The stadium crowd is hollow shell of what it used to be in the original Mile High days.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
My biggest concerns:

And lets be real, Denver's home field advantage is a thing of the past. The stadium crowd is hollow shell of what it used to be in the original Mile High days.

nice going broncos fans...it's your fault the broncos lost again in the playoffs.

this excuse^ really gets old. the Broncos ended up losing to the eventual Super Bowl champs again (2005). The NFL is better top to bottom then it was 20 years ago.
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Potential is like an a-hole; everybody has it.

Difference is those that want it more than the guy across the line of scrimmage....................

Broncos need to be hungry and merciless this season.

Talent is there and there are no more excuses............
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
nice going broncos fans...it's your fault the broncos lost again in the playoffs.

this excuse^ really gets old. the Broncos ended up losing to the eventual Super Bowl champs again (2005). The NFL is better top to bottom then it was 20 years ago.
Great job being an a-hole again. I never used that the fans suck as an excuse for us losing, I just mentioned that the fans are not what they used to be in the new home.

My concerns are based on the stats given on 9TD passes given up with only 1 interception and 1 sack the past 2 playoff losses.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Great job being an a-hole again. I never used that the fans suck as an excuse for us losing, I just mentioned that the fans are not what they used to be in the new home.
! you are welcome.

"broncos fans you suck, but it's not your fault.

ok we got that cleared up.
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Quote:

My concerns are based on the stats given on 9TD passes given up with only 1 interception and 1 sack the past 2 playoff losses.
Fair concerns. But, have to remember the Tom Brady stats are from Foxboro.

But, I agree. Old Mile High was magical. New Mile High is still gathering momentum. (That Tebow/Pitt playoff game was magic)
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
FISH
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post

I see what you did there....but Med did it first
FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #13
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post

REASON FOR PESSIMISM

There are some in the league who looked at the Broncos' drama-filled offseason and said they had the tumultuous profile of a team that had won the Super Bowl instead of losing two rounds before the title game. The Broncos have had the infamous fax issues, the off-the-field troubles, a reality show, a looming suspension of a superstar and more than their share of injuries. Maybe when the games count, none of that will matter, but history is littered with teams that put the championship cart before the horse, content to enjoy the fruits of potential rather than the actual title.

For the rest http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...tial-broncos-3
1. Fax gate. Elvis is gone, and has been long gone. It's old news.

2. Off field trouble issues? I'm guessing the execs? No big deal as to what happens on the field.

3. Reality show? I'd like to watch. What channel?

4. Injuries? Other than Koppen, who else has a serious injury.

5. Von missing the 1st four games? Yes, this is a stinger. This can affect the Broncos 1st 4 games.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
So much nicer reading articles like that than the crap Bill Williamson put out.

Great hire of Jeff Legwold for ESPN.
I was going to post this. Jeff Legwold >>>>>>>third grader's sports paragraph>>>>>>>>>Burger Bill.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Great article. Here, Legwold pretty much sums up the season:

The Broncos have an awful lot riding on how Gibbs and offensive line coach Dave Magazu get things worked out on the offensive line. If the Broncos can add some pop out of the play-action run game and consistently protect Manning out of a three-wide receiver set, the points should follow.

We have got to be able to run the ball. If we can't, we're toast. Maybe the D will be good enough to make up for the weak Oline? Del Rio says his focus is TOs. That's how they played that first preseason game. Last time Clady came back from an injury it took him weeks to get back up to speed. Even if he comes in for the opener (against the Ratbirds, no less) we can't expect him to be anywhere near 100%. Then, we have the Giants. That's a tough two games with a suspect Oline.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #16
B-Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
the best part is the Raiders only story on the AFCW blog is a punter competition.... lol

Losers.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #17
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
My biggest concerns:

the crowd was most certainly not the problem
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #18
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

I'm in the pessimist camp right now. Not for the reg season, but for the playoffs. We have the same playoff chokers from last year.

John "I'll do the same 10-out-of-10 times" Fox.

Jack "I'll fool 'em by using a three man rush and drop Von Miller into coverage" Del Rio.

Peyton "I'm smarter than them guys, I'll wave my arms around, yell Hurry, Hurry and score 24 points" Manning.

Champ "Why are they picking on me, don't they know I'm All-Pro and first-ballot HOF?" Bailey.

Matt "Where the **** did that grass come from, it's ****ing up my motion" Prater.

Rahim "I can play center field, unless of course the ball comes my way" Moore.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #19
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:

Bull****. That stadium was rocking the entire game.
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #20
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
I agree, while watching the game on TV, I could swear I noticed that the TV cameras shook several times.....

Last edited by errand; 08-13-2013 at 04:38 PM..
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #21
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

I just want to see the crowd boo for 10 solid minutes the next time Bill Vinovich steps foot on the field.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #22
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
People that say it isn't loud usually never go to games.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #23
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:

The game against Baltimore was not exactly played amid hushed tones and golf clapping. The defense played poorly in both games, so how exactly does the Baltimore loss equate to poor fanbase participation?

Last edited by Archer81; 08-13-2013 at 07:50 PM..
Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #24
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

I like how the reason for caution talks about the team getting ahead of themselves, pure speculative BS and shoddy reporting, and Pat Kirwins camp report talks about how the Broncos are very disciplined and focused. Odd. Or just more self spun drama from the Disney channel being confused with real football insight.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #25
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

There are regular season games you can point to where the crowd wasn't bringing it, but the playoff games that have been played in the new stadium have been bonkers.

The issue is, the team can rush the passer, but outside of Von, the sacks and pressure never seem to be difference makers, or impact sacks/pressure.
BigPlayShay is online now   Reply With Quote