The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default Kirwan & Ryan Broncos camp visit recap

Good read.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...o-broncos-camp
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Loved a lot of the points they recapped, but perhaps this one best of all:

Quote:
Both Tim and Pat said that they think the Broncos are probably the best all-around team in the NFL, and should be the favorites to win the Super Bowl.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
TonyR
Franchise Poster

This one is also a head turner:

Quote:
Tim and Pat said that Shaun Phillips looks terrific, and they both thought that Phillips could be an overall upgrade compared to Elvis Dumervil, due to his abilities against the run. Fox credited Phillips for doing a nice job of learning both the Sam LB position and the Open-side DE position.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

This show is fantastic also btw, maybe my fave on the NFL channel.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I'm very high on this defense. We should be explosive. I expect the gates of TO heaven to open up this year and spill all kinds of gifts on the Broncos. Still worried about the Oline, but Elway couldn't have found a better guy than Gibbs to be in there coaching it up.

The big factor, IMHO, is having The Duke on the sidelines. Not to go too far out with the metaphor (after all, it's just a game), but when times were tough for the Revolutionary Army, Washington's generals would ask him to simply sit on his horse where the whole Army could see him. It put everybody in the right mindset.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
txtebow
WARRIOR

Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
thanks for the link!
txtebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
This one is also a head turner:
Why? I agree 100% with what this guys said.

Elvis had 11 sacks but half came on the last play of the game or against CLEV and did not grade out all that well in terms of distruptive plays
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
SlyEli

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post

Elvis had 11 sacks but half came on the last play of the game or against CLEV and did not grade out all that well in terms of distruptive plays
Exactly. Dumervil was way overrated. Phillips and Malik Jackson will more than account for his production this year, at a tenth of the price.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
I'm not saying I disagree. But I am saying that a lot of people will probably be surprised to hear people suggesting this.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyEli View Post
Exactly. Dumervil was way overrated. Phillips and Malik Jackson will more than account for his production this year, at a tenth of the price.
He was a solid PR with meh run stop. What he was though was a team captain and a huge leader. That's what we lost. Luckily we have people who have taken the torch.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Exactly. Dumervil was way overrated.
Overrated? Perhaps. But I disagree with the way part. Newsome and the Ravens know talent as good as anyone in the league and they don't go after "way overrated" players.

But let's not let this discussion get bogged down on one of the 20 observations in the article. Lots of good stuff to discuss.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

I'm surprised with Kirwan's and Ryan's analysis of Phillips. I usually agree with them 99% of the time but Phillips was the second worst rated OLB last year by Pro Football Focus.

I can see him playing better this year though. He doesn't really have anywhere to go but up.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #13
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Why they said about Sylvester contradicts everything I've heard about him all offseason. I wonder if he is hesitating at the snap because he keeps getting called offsides. I imagine this is more Williams thinking too much, and needing to develope better timing at the pro level.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #14
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
Why they said about Sylvester contradicts everything I've heard about him all offseason. I wonder if he is hesitating at the snap because he keeps getting called offsides. I imagine this is more Williams thinking too much, and needing to develope better timing at the pro level.

I think he's thinking too fast. Happens to rookies. I believe he will get it sorted out.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #15
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
I think he's thinking too fast. Happens to rookies. I believe he will get it sorted out.

With our current coaching staff, I'm 100% confident he'll be a beast by game 5.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #16
Agamemnon

Quote:

While you are right that Dumervil's sacks were mostly low-impact plays, the guy generated pressure regularly and helped our overall defense greatly. To judge a pass rusher purely off sack numbers is rather foolish.

That said, I do believe we will replace Dumervil's contributions with the new players we've added along with the development of younger players such as Derek Wolfe.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #17
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
I'm surprised with Kirwan's and Ryan's analysis of Phillips. I usually agree with them 99% of the time but Phillips was the second worst rated OLB last year by Pro Football Focus.

I can see him playing better this year though. He doesn't really have anywhere to go but up.
This isn't last year, and he isn't playing for the Chargers anymore, so what exactly gives you any grounds for disagreeing with their assessment?
Old 08-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #18
DivineLegion

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
While you are right that Dumervil's sacks were mostly low-impact plays, the guy generated pressure regularly and helped our overall defense greatly. To judge a pass rusher purely off sack numbers is rather foolish.

That said, I do believe we will replace Dumervil's contributions with the new players we've added along with the development of younger players such as Derek Wolfe.
I guess Elvis' sack FF against the chargers that totally turned the momentum toward the Broncos was a low impact play.

3.5 sacks against playoff teams, 4 in division, and 6 FFs last season. On over half of his sacks he forced a fumble....

Low impact, carry on.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #19
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:

This is great

Can we rep this guy from over here?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #20
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:

Sure he will be missed somewhat but we have already done so much more to help the team with his money that we are better without him than we were going to be with him and his cap hit.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #21
Bacchus

Quote:
Well, I disagree with that. Elvis was among the leaders in QB pressures. That is a very important stat. He also forced 6 fumbles. One of which turned the SD game around.

Denver can overcome the loss of Doom and Phillips a good player but to say Doom was Waaay overrated is simply wrong. He is going to have more than 12 sacks this year in Baltimore.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #22
Agamemnon

Quote:
I guess Elvis' sack FF against the chargers that totally turned the momentum toward the Broncos was a low impact play.

3.5 sacks against playoff teams, 4 in division, and 6 FFs last season. On over half of his sacks he forced a fumble....

Low impact, carry on.
That was one play.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #23
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:

Low impact, carry on.
You should check game stats and see what time his sacks occurred. He also didn't get consistent pressure, he was more than suspect in the run game as well.

I do like Malik Jackson, if anybody hasn't rewatched the game vs the 49'ers you need to. Malik has displays good use of his hands and he was consistently being disruptive. Not sure why he's not talked about more.
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #24
Bacchus

Quote:
That was one play.
That turned around the biggest game of the year. SD was in Denver's territory. If Doom does not make that play the Chargers' score and all of a sudden it is 31-7 or 27-7 SD, and the whole game could have changed. Instead Doom gets the sack forces the fumble and the game is 24-14.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #25
DivineLegion

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
That was one play.
Maybe but the other 5 FFs, and 7.5 sacks I mentioned were not 'just one play', unless of course Elvis is a time traveling alien from krypton, in which case the Broncos made a huge mistake. Hmmmmmmm.

Elvis was not only a solid, and consistent contributor on the Broncos defense, he was also a mentor to Von Miller, and that is irreplaceable. I have faith in Von's maturity to step up as a leader from this point forward, but it will be a transition considering Elvis' experience.