The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default Matt Damon puts kids in private school. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN12t...yer_detailpage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=HqOub-heGQc

Quote:
Actor Matt Damon was very vocal about his advocacy in favor of the public school system at the keynote speaker at the Washington, D.C., Save Our Schools march slightly more than two years ago. Now, Damon is admitting he had to make the “big, big, big” decision to send his own children to private school.
But the reason as to why is not what you might think.

In an interview with The Guardian published Friday, Damon explained that this decision came as he and his wife are moving their children from New York to Los Angeles. And it turns out that public schools just aren’t quite progressive enough for the Damon brood.

“I mean, I pay for a private education and I’m trying to get the one that most matches the public education that I had, but that kind of progressive education no longer exists in the public system. It’s unfair,” Damon told The Guardian.

He said there was a “giant family discussion” around the topic and he felt “ultimately we don’t have a choice.”

Since this decision was announced, some have pounced calling Damon a hypocrite.

In addition to fretting a bit over the decision to move his children out of the public school system — he is the son of a public school teacher and went through the system himself — Damon expressed to The Guardian that he worries how L.A. will change the normalcy he said his family has experienced in New York City.

He also said he takes into particular consideration the privilege his children experience as a result of his wealth.

“Our kids are growing up with more privilege than we had; that’s true for most of my friends in LA. I don’t know any actor who grew up with any particular privilege, so everyone wrestles with this,” Damon told The Guardian. “And I think a lot of times it’s about being patient with your kids.”

“It’s something we talk about a lot, but I think ultimately it’s about giving them an understanding of the world. So at least they can get some context for where they fit into everything,” he continued.

Watch Damon’s speech in July 2011 at the Save Our Schools rally in D.C. (Note: Damon starts speaking at 1:55):
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...rivate-school/

Last edited by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun; 08-08-2013 at 12:20 PM..
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
TonyR
Franchise Poster

So you're somehow surprised that a wealthy, famous person would put his children in private school? I'd do the same thing even if I did advocate for, and support the importance of, public school education.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
houghtam
Ring of Famer

I don't get it. Why should someone who supports public school not also be able to support private education?
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
I don't get it. Why should someone who supports public school not also be able to support private education?
If "supporting" public education means opposing school choice legislation (as it often does), then sending your kids to private school is the height of hypocrisy.

But I'm not sure of Matt's stance on that issue. So I'll withhold judgement until I know otherwise.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
nyuk nyuk

Damon is a degenerate. Nothing surprising here.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Matt Damon is a legend. Haters gonna hate.

Ever seen him and Ed Norton in Rounders?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
Damon is a degenerate.
How so?
Old 08-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Do you like rhubarb?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Damon is a job creator and thus more valuable to society than I am.
FYP
Old 08-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #11
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

So would I.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #12
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Quote:
Yeah, it looks like Damon is hanging out with the wrong crowd. Some of them even have dark skin!

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...4HQBQ#imgdii=_
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #13
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I consider the source, and dismiss the claim.

Stick to dark movie theaters.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #14
Meck77

This falls under why my motto's. "Believe nothing what you hear and only half of what you see." Damon=Bull****ter.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

All actors are bull****ters or they wouldn't be very good at acting. Politicians are good actors too if they can seem so sincere when relating to the people. I think Bill Clinton could have made it in Hollywood if he chose acting over law/politics. Clinton and Reagan were the two most popular Presidents in my lifetime and the best bull****ters. Obama's pretty good too. Romney, McCain, Kerry, and Gore couldn't pull it off because they all seemed too phony. Bush was a two-term president only because he was running against Gore and Kerry. We elect the best bull****ters which means Matt Damon may run for office one of these days.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #16
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
All actors are bull****ters or they wouldn't be very good at acting. Politicians are good actors too if they can seem so sincere when relating to the people. I think Bill Clinton could have made it in Hollywood if he chose acting over law/politics. Clinton and Reagan were the two most popular Presidents in my lifetime and the best bull****ters. Obama's pretty good too. Romney, McCain, Kerry, and Gore couldn't pull it off because they all seemed too phony. Bush was a two-term president only because he was running against Gore and Kerry. We elect the best bull****ters which means Matt Damon may run for office one of these days.
Yup and guys like Rigs are still eating it up political partisan BS.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #17
TonyR
Franchise Poster

lol you clowns think Matt Damon supporting education and public schools is somehow a bad thing. Are they not worth supporting just because he's wealthy enough to put his kids in an elite private school? I could see you being upset if he was supporting something bad or controversial. But I just don't see what it is you have to complain about in this case. Find something else to b**** about.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #18
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
lol you clowns think Matt Damon supporting education and public schools is somehow a bad thing. Are they not worth supporting just because he's wealthy enough to put his kids in an elite private school? I could see you being upset if he was supporting something bad or controversial. But I just don't see what it is you have to complain about in this case. Find something else to b**** about.
The typical argument by the 'support public schools' crowd is that school choice legislation is bad because allowing kids to pick up their taxpayer funding and take it elsewhere damages the schools they leave behind.

But in most states, schools' funding is based on enrollment. So removing your child from the school, even if paying for it yourself, has exactly the same negative consequence for the public school.

It's the logical equivalent of offering up someone else's kids as crash test dummies for a new prototypical vehicle, while assuring everyone that you might let your kids ride in it as soon as all the kinks get worked out.

But as I said, maybe Mr Damon's position is more nuanced than the establishment "no school choice" crowd. So I'm not sure in his particular case. Needless to say, that specific example of hypocrisy is very common among most of the elite private schooling "public school supporters"
Old 08-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #19
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Like every Lib you got it all wrong.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #20
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Oh, I see why Damon is a "degenerate" now:

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/ely...t-radical-film
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #21
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Oh, I see why Damon is a "degenerate" now:

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/ely...t-radical-film
Nope. Still don't get it. Libs and Dems are so stupid.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #22
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Hmm, so liberals defend Damon by stating he can still support public schools even though he won't send his kids there, and all the while, they are constantly searching to out any republican who is gay and demean them if they do not support special rights for gay people. The liberal "logic" at its typical display.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:28 AM   #23
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
Nope. Still don't get it. Libs and Dems are so stupid.
That you can't spot an obvious joke even when it jumps up and bites you ni the ass is quite telling...
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #24
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Hmm, so liberals defend Damon by stating he can still support public schools even though he won't send his kids there, and all the while, they are constantly searching to out any republican who is gay and demean them if they do not support special rights for gay people. The liberal "logic" at its typical display.
Define special.

Like the right to get married? Power of attorney?
Old 08-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #25
El Minion
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Define special.

Like the right to get married? Power of attorney?
The binary Jim Crow thinking of conservatives and evangelicals is that equal rights for gays=special rights for gays. Gays must remain 3/5 citizens, or all hell will break loose if given "special rights", like cats and dogs living together.....

El Minion is offline   Reply With Quote