The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,298

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Khan's camp report 8/6

I had to chance to sit and watch camp with Oskie AKA Broncoman 13 today. It was almost like old times. The weather was agreeable and the practice was efficient and high temp. However there was some late-camp sluggishness that was coming up which is pretty typical after several weeks. Iím going to jump right in and give my evaluations and focus primarily on the players that stood out to me and general feelings of the team after.

Focus of the day was on running plays and situations so the defense had a major advantage as we arenít really a running team. We had some decent moments, but the defense definitely won the day on this one. Some areas (Like offensive line) I actually feel better about than I did before going to practice today.

Quarterbacks
Peyton Manning had a mixed day. In the situational and redzone drills he was pretty good. Scoring on several plays. In other instances he and the receivers were having difficulty syncing up. I donít think he and Julius and Welker are totally on the same page. Neither really worked with Manning much last season so itís understandable. His arm strength is improved - significantly so. The distance in arm strength between Manning and Brock last year was pretty large. This year Manning is closer. Some of the best stuff about Manning is the way he antagonizes the defense. Heís tell them off or make fun of them when they make a bad call. Heís got the dead-pan down.

Brock Osweiller is much better than last year (and I felt he was not half bad last year when I saw him.) Heís starting master using his arm strength to cheat, especially in attacking holes in the middle of the field, but heís also started to throw more touch passes. His downfield throwing is beautiful. His size makes him a little awkward when he hands off the ball, but they practice those quite a bit.
Zac Dysert is basically every Chiefs QB ever: He always checks it down and isnít very accurate beyond 15 yards.

Receivers: As a group the receivers are even more polished than last year. Some of the athleticism was really impressive. Demaryius has the best foot dexterity of all the receivers including Welker and Trindon. They were running a series of exercises and his nimbleness was amazing especially for someone his size. He is making some really impressive catches and is starting to really dominate. Sometimes Thomas looks like he isnít trying very hard, but itís actually that he is making it look easy. Kemonte Bateman impressed me with his agility. He is pretty raw but has good change of direction and good burst. Welker is the best at getting in and out of breaks. There is a suddenness to his routes that is incredibly difficult to stay with. Chris Harris was the only one who was having any luck most of the time. I was not impressed with Tavarres King. He seemed to have poor dexterity and dropped two balls. He doesnít run very efficiently. Gerell Robinson is the new Matthew Willis ala the scrub that does just enough to stand out to probably get to play a few plays in the regular season. Decker has really good routes but is getting sneaky about pushing off and using his size. It will mean some big opportunities but also some penalties probably.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 8,067

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

I read the title and it moved a little. Amirite?
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,789

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

I feel like I'm 25 again.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,226

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Zac Dysert is basically every Chiefs QB ever: He always checks it down and isnít very accurate beyond 15 yards.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 21,600
Default

Thanks Khan for the report
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,298

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Running Backs Ė The backs got a lot of work today. They primarily focused on running drills which is why the defense won most of the time. Moreno had some good runs but then also had a fumble that he barely managed to recover. He still is the most consistent at blocking and catching. I have decided that Hillman was sold to us the wrong way. He came with unfair comparisons as a ďMarshall FaultĒ type back. He really isnít playing that way. Most of his runs are inside and downhill and he carried David Baldacci into the endzone for a scoring play. He catches some, but he really is playing more like a traditional back. He does have some straight line speed, of course, but if people quit expecting him to be Darren Sproles, they will find themselves pleasantly surprised. Montee Ball looks like a rookie. Heís not as decisive in his runs and there is some degree of paralysis by analysis going on there. I didnít see Jeremiah Johnson at all. Jacob Hester had a really snazzy catch on a wheel route when the offense was backed up on their own goal-line.

Tight Ends Ė So I finally got to see the ďamazingĒ Julius Thomas show. Thomas did have some good catches. On one would-be sack he caught a nice deep pass for a TD. On another very big third down he made a fingertip catch for the conversion from Manning. His blocking leaves something to be desired still. A part of me wonders if part of him getting a ton of reps isnít because Tamme and Dreesen are both injured. Virgil Green had a good practice. He was part of a number of jumbo sets and made a few good catches. He isnít as agile as the speedier tight ends, but heís definitely a better mauler as a blocker and is versatile.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 25,428
Default

Quote:
Zac Dysert is basically every Chiefs QB ever: He always checks it down and isn’t very accurate beyond 15 yards.
!
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

I will repost this here...

Sly jumped off sides more than a few times today... I think we are going to see that continue a good bit. The times that he didn't jump, he was incredibly disruptive. He was in on several plays in the backfield. Khan will have some good notes on him in a bit as he focused on him during group work. I was watching the 7s.

Hilman did truck Nacho, but he was also pushed into him so had a little extra force behind him.

After Julius made his one handed catch (right in front of us) Manning was talking to him and saying how he really liked how he came out of his route. Has to love his catch radius as well.

DT has the best feet of all the receivers and its not close. Welker and Deck are very close to one another but DT has the quickest feet I've ever seen going through ladder agility drills. Phenomenal!

Duke had an up and down day. Chris Harris was off today and got abused by DT plenty.

Woodyard was chippy all day. Pushing the offense around quite a bit. Pushed Decker one time and he was ready to fight. Then when Rahim blew up Hilman (helmet went flying) Hester came in to back up his teammate and Woody and Hester went at it. Woody had a hand full of face mask. The during Team he was jawing on a good play, Manning rushed the offense to the line and took a QB sneak for a first down... Manning then yelled Woodyard's way, "FIRST DOWN!!!"

Good practice, much better than the last one. Khan will do a full report and I will follow up with some of what I saw in the players he lists.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,789

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Manning rushed the offense to the line and took a QB sneak for a first down... Manning then yelled Woodyard's way, "FIRST DOWN!!!"
Must be really hard to pick up a first when everyone is scrambling to get out of your way.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 38,264

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Thanks guys this is great stuff as always!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,298

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Offensive line Ė The O-line did better at pass protection than I expected, but struggled to get too much going in the run game. Beadles was the starting LT with Lilja, Ramirez at center, Vasquez and Chris Clark a surprisingly effective RT. Clark is someone who I liked last season and it was fun to see him picking up where they left off last season. On one play he blew up my beloved Romney Fuga and pancaked him. He really held his own. All these guys moving all around left some things to be desired in the run game, and pressure was getting to all three QBís throughout the practice. That said, if this is how the banged up line looks, I am much less worried than I was. One guy that really impressed me was Manase Foketi. He was very strong, stayed low in his stance and played pissed off without losing his head. He shut a couple of starters down during drill work, so heís my dark horse on the offensive line.

Defense Ė The defense was pretty dominating today. Most of the drills and situations were running oriented. Duke and Woodyard like to fire their team up and play up the crowd. There were a couple of guys that stood out to me I am really excited about.

Defensive Line Ė Sylvester Williams was the most consistently disruptive player in the run game. He also was the best at splitting double teams and has one of the most developed swim moves of any rookie I've ever seen. The last rookie I saw use their hands as well as him was Elvis Dumervil. A problem both 92ís apparently share is a tendency to line up and jump offsides. The hard count gave Sylvester some issues, but he made up for it by pretty much raping the offensive line every time he was up. It was worse in position drills where he just wouldn't stop coming. Malik Jackson played slightly less awesome than Sylvester, but he had some really cool moments making some tackles or forcing some runs toward Rahim, who would take the RB out. They are going to be using Malik like they did Wolfe last year, where they play him at DT and end. Knighton did not impressive me as much. Shaun Phillips plays end and jumped offsides. I didn't see much of Methwolfe or Vickerson today.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
canadianbroncosfan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
I read the title and it moved a little. Amirite?
+1
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #13
canadianbroncosfan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I had to chance to sit and watch camp with Oskie AKA Broncoman 13 today. It was almost like old times. The weather was agreeable and the practice was efficient and high temp. However there was some late-camp sluggishness that was coming up which is pretty typical after several weeks. Iím going to jump right in and give my evaluations and focus primarily on the players that stood out to me and general feelings of the team after.

Focus of the day was on running plays and situations so the defense had a major advantage as we arenít really a running team. We had some decent moments, but the defense definitely won the day on this one. Some areas (Like offensive line) I actually feel better about than I did before going to practice today.

Quarterbacks
Peyton Manning had a mixed day. In the situational and redzone drills he was pretty good. Scoring on several plays. In other instances he and the receivers were having difficulty syncing up. I donít think he and Julius and Welker are totally on the same page. Neither really worked with Manning much last season so itís understandable. His arm strength is improved - significantly so. The distance in arm strength between Manning and Brock last year was pretty large. This year Manning is closer. Some of the best stuff about Manning is the way he antagonizes the defense. Heís tell them off or make fun of them when they make a bad call. Heís got the dead-pan down.

Brock Osweiller is much better than last year (and I felt he was not half bad last year when I saw him.) Heís starting master using his arm strength to cheat, especially in attacking holes in the middle of the field, but heís also started to throw more touch passes. His downfield throwing is beautiful. His size makes him a little awkward when he hands off the ball, but they practice those quite a bit.
Zac Dysert is basically every Chiefs QB ever: He always checks it down and isnít very accurate beyond 15 yards.

Receivers: As a group the receivers are even more polished than last year. Some of the athleticism was really impressive. Demaryius has the best foot dexterity of all the receivers including Welker and Trindon. They were running a series of exercises and his nimbleness was amazing especially for someone his size. He is making some really impressive catches and is starting to really dominate. Sometimes Thomas looks like he isnít trying very hard, but itís actually that he is making it look easy. Kemonte Bateman impressed me with his agility. He is pretty raw but has good change of direction and good burst. Welker is the best at getting in and out of breaks. There is a suddenness to his routes that is incredibly difficult to stay with. Chris Harris was the only one who was having any luck most of the time. I was not impressed with Tavarres King. He seemed to have poor dexterity and dropped two balls. He doesnít run very efficiently. Gerell Robinson is the new Matthew Willis ala the scrub that does just enough to stand out to probably get to play a few plays in the regular season. Decker has really good routes but is getting sneaky about pushing off and using his size. It will mean some big opportunities but also some penalties probably.
Med called it?

All joking aside, great report Khan. Cheers for posting.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #14
Ziggy
Pro Bowler
 
Ziggy's Avatar
 
Noob

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 744
Default

Thanks Kahn. You still rock the training camp reports.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #15
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 37,141

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Awesome work by Khan and BMan!
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
LRtagger
Ring of Famer
 
LRtagger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,880

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

It's amazing how one guy can write Moreno sucks in his camp report and the next guy writes he's the best back in camp.

Thank you for the report sir.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #17
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,298

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Linebackers Ė Von Miller dinged his hand but came right back in after taking some time to make sure it was ok. He was still pretty dominant getting off the ball, but on a sort of rail route Manning threw to the corner pylon and Miller just faceguarded him and drew PI. Stewart Bradley at Mike was a big surprise, but he actually played pretty well and he also plays special teams. Nate Irving does not play special teams and didnít do too much. The big surprise at this position for me was Lerentee McCray. This guy plays like a dog with rabies. During one drill he destroyed Hillman seven yards deep into the back field and just kind of stood over him. Heís been running with the second team, but plays really lose like he knows what heís doing.

Defensive Backs Ė The DBís pretty much dominated. There were no major missed assignments and everyone was pretty tight in coverage which meant that the times there were some completions, they were perfect throws or really athletic grabs. Champ got beat a few times. Itís just going to happen because heís in his mid-thirties. The most consistently solid DB is Rahim Moore. He lines up where heís supposed to, is always in good position, he wraps up well and generally the QBís avoid him which may be why no one is talking about him. Heís been running with the oneís since OTAís but no one was mentioned him in their reports. He made some really good plays in the run game. Nacho gets challenged a lot more but he usually rises to hit. He also likes to hit hard and blow up some blocks. Nacho still makes some mistakes though. Heís definitely more explosive out of his breaks than David Bowie, though, who is just more steady. Chris Harris stayed at nickel and Kayvon Webster was the number 2 corner for most of this practice. He was really impressive. He hits hard and attacks routes. Oskie mentioned he holds sometimes but the officials werenít calling it so I guess it must not have been that bad. Overall the unit as a whole looked really good and with our receivers and our QB, I was kind of surprised. I think the large amount of run plays they had this practice probably didnít allow the passing offense to get in rhythm. Or it was just an off day.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #18
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

Knowshon looks really comfortable. He appears to have a role and knows it but still works hard. He will never be a special back, but he is definitely above average, perhaps even good.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #19
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,298

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

I have to run, so I'll write more later. Oskie can answer questions and I'll have my phone with me so I'll try and answer questions when I get settled.

If I had to summarize this practice I would say Med called it.

But take it with a grain of salt.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #20
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 56,054

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

I'm getting the tingle in my jingle.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #21
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

I don't know whether to think our run game was struggling or our run D is bad ass Lot of bulk along our line now. Massive DL!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #22
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

I hope Lerentee McCray sticks. He seems to be a better back up for Miller in the long run.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #23
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather
 
Houshyamama's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,494

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Gerell Robinson is the new Matthew Willis ala the scrub that does just enough to stand out to probably get to play a few plays in the regular season.
You watch your whore mouth when you're talking about players from my alma mater.

And thanks for the report dude! Always appreciated.

Last edited by Houshyamama; 08-06-2013 at 01:00 PM..
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #24
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
The Fixer

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 61,357

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default

Quote:
The most consistently solid DB is Rahim Moore. He lines up where he’s supposed to, is always in good position, he wraps up well and generally the QB’s avoid him which may be why no one is talking about him. He’s been running with the one’s since OTA’s but no one was mentioned him in their reports
See this is why you get the big bucks.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #25
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Zac Dysert is basically every Chiefs QB ever: He always checks it down and isnít very accurate beyond 15 yards.
That's a bit harsh for a guy who is still learning the playbook and who never got proper development in college. There's little chance the guy ever becomes anything considering where he was drated, but at least give the guy some time to learn.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:42 PM.


Denver Broncos