The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Default Ziggy's Training Camp Report- 8/5

My last trip to training camp this year, and the weather was perfect. This is my 2nd training camp practice attended along with the scrimmage, so I was looking more for consistencies today than anything. Let's get to it:

Offense-

Peyton Manning- His arm is stronger this season. No doubt about it. He showed quite a bit of frustration today as the first team offense was dominated.

Osweiller- He still looks like a 2nd year QB. His mechanics are better and his reads are slightly quicker, but he's still thinking and not just playing out there.

Welker- They had a cone drill where the receivers would sprint to a cone, stop and turn, and accelerate into the catch. He stops and gets back to full speed much quicker than anyone else out there. It was impressive to watch.

DT- Unstoppable. He's too big and too fast for anyone to cover. He did drop one pass in the one vs. ones, but other than that he looks even better than last season.

Decker- Very solid. His route running looks crisper this season.

King- He didn't stand out today like he did last week. You can still see the speed though.

Julius Thomas- Once again dominated the scrimmage. He gets a ton of reps running with both first and second team offenses. If he can stay healthy, he can dominate.

Orlando Franklin- He was looking good until he got hurt. I don't know what the injury was, but he did get up and walk gingerly after it happened. His practice was over after that.

Louis Vasquez- He surprisingly played RT after Franklin went down. It was obvious that he hasn't played tackle in many many years, if ever.

Ryan Lilja- He played some center with the 2nd and 3rd team before Franklin went down. After, he play first team right guard. I was watching him closely. He gets to the second level quickly, but looked like he was going to collapse from fatigue after every series. He has a ways to go to get in football shape which is understandable.

Ramirez- He's not a starting NFL center. Period.

Beadles- Same story different year. He looks great pulling, gets dominated trying to anchor.

Virgil Green- The level of talent between him and Julius is night and day. He did get a few plays in at FB.

Knowshon Moreno- Dropped one pass, and did nothing else of note.

Hillman- He's quick and cuts decisively. If he can stay healthy, he might have a decent year in the ZBS.

Montee Ball- You can see the power in his drives, but he still looks like a rook outside of the goal line area. He was chewed out by Manning once again for missing an assignment.

Offensive Notes- The offensive line was dominated all day long. You could see the frustration in Manning throughout practice. I didn't see Greg Orton or Jeremiah Johnson out there at all. Tamme was out in pads, but I didn't see him in the contact drills. He may have been, but I didn't look for him or notice him at all.

Defense upcoming.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

I heard Kuper was jogging with the strength and conditioning coachs at practice

Hopefully either Lilja or ManRam can not be terrible until Walton and or Kuper return

Either way our interior Oline should be a big point of emphasis next FA and draft

Despite being a "pro bowler" I could see them letting Beadles walk
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
NorCalBronco7

Good report. Thanks Ziggy.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Defense-

Vickerson- Large and in charge. He's a bully out there. Not much of a pass rush, but an unstoppable force against the run. I don't care what the depth chart says, I haven't seen him play anything but NT. It explains why Pot Roast hasn't had a single rep with the 1's in the 3 times I've seen them.

Wolfe- He's solid in every area. Nothing flashy, just gets the job done.

Sly- I was pleasantly surprised to see him out there today. He was running at UT with the first team D. I also watched him closely in the pass rush drills. A man that large should not be able to move that quickly. I was very impressed with him.

Ayers- Looks like the same player as last season.

Bradley- He was starting with both the 1's and 2's, and looked pretty good.

Von- Lightning quick. You can't tell by his speed that he put weight on in the offseason. He looks every bit as fast as he did last season.

Malik Jackson- Rotated in with the 1's and started with the 2's today. He made one very good play in 11 on 11's, but I didn't see anything else pop out with him.

Woody- He's a clown. He was screwing with a few of the Olineman before they came out for the hail mary practice play. They grabbed him, stole his mouth piece and threw it across the field. He's solid all the way across. Good against the run and pass.

Trevathan- Still running in the first team nickel D. He's quick and good in coverage.

Rahim Moore- He's very solid out there in practice. Nothing flashy, but good overall coverage.

Nacho- Still starting with the first unit. He was the undisputed star of practice today. He was making plays behind the LOS, and breaking up TD passes again.

Adams- I think he has a hard time making the final roster. He's running with the 2's and 3's.

Bruton- Nothing spectacular today. I still think that his place is on special teams.

Champ- Looks like Champ.

Tony Carter- He's gone from promising young corner to someone on the bubble IMO.

Harris- He played very well on the outside as the #2 corner.

Shaun Phillips- He looks like a nice compliment to Von. He's no Doom, but he can still put some pressure on from the outside.

Notes- As I said earlier, the DLine was dominating the starting Oline. Of course, they only had 2 starters out there for the most part, and Vasquez was playing tackle. They look good though. This line has size, quickness, and strength. I didn't see Nate Irving out there at all. Champ stopped taking reps about 3/4 of the way through practice. He wasn't hurt. I think they just wanted to get a look at some different players out there.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

I keep saying it and the reports keep proving it. Manny is a nice back up but we're ****ed if he's out starting C.
We need Lilja to get in game shape quickly and stay healthy.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
SlyEli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
I heard Kuper was jogging with the strength and conditioning coachs at practice

Hopefully either Lilja or ManRam can not be terrible until Walton and or Kuper return

Either way our interior Oline should be a big point of emphasis next FA and draft

Despite being a "pro bowler" I could see them letting Beadles walk
Kuper will walk before beadles walks. Difference between a 4-5 million dollar contract and a rookie deal.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Cmac821
Harden by loss

Can't wait for next year

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Fox Mulder

Thank you sir, looks the Nacho is holding on to the starting role well
Cmac821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Yeah, even if it's only for 10 plays or so, I'm beginning to think it might be best to sit Manning down for the Niner game until Franklin gets better and Lilja gets in a little better shape. Let Brock live life to it's fullest on Thursday.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
Bmore Manning

Great stuff Ziggy.

Validates my points with Beadles, Carter, and Moore.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

thanks for the report.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
The offensive line was dominated all day long. You could see the frustration in Manning throughout practice.
I'm surprised this isn't discussed as more of a concern. Lots of guys either hurt or coming back from injury on one of the most important (if not the most important) units of a championship caliber team. Why do I have a feeling that despite having Manning and great WR's this team is going to be leaning on its D a lot this season?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #12
Cmac821
Harden by loss

Can't wait for next year

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Fox Mulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
Yeah, even if it's only for 10 plays or so, I'm beginning to think it might be best to sit Manning down for the Niner game until Franklin gets better and Lilja gets in a little better shape. Let Brock live life to it's fullest on Thursday.
I like that idea, would be smart. Considering there is no need for him to play
Cmac821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I'm surprised this isn't discussed as more of a concern. Lots of guys either hurt or coming back from injury on one of the most important (if not the most important) units of a championship caliber team. Why do I have a feeling that despite having Manning and great WR's this team is going to be leaning on its D a lot this season?
Nah, the offense will be fine.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
kent156
King of the Ants

Quote:
Defense-

Vickerson- Large and in charge. He's a bully out there. Not much of a pass rush, but an unstoppable force against the run. I don't care what the depth chart says, I haven't seen him play anything but NT. It explains why Pot Roast hasn't had a single rep with the 1's in the 3 times I've seen them.

Wolfe- He's solid in every area. Nothing flashy, just gets the job done.

Sly- I was pleasantly surprised to see him out there today. He was running at UT with the first team D. I also watched him closely in the pass rush drills. A man that large should not be able to move that quickly. I was very impressed with him.

Ayers- Looks like the same player as last season.

Bradley- He was starting with both the 1's and 2's, and looked pretty good. .

is he more of a run guy or can he cover
kent156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #15
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent156 View Post
is he more of a run guy or can he cover
He was stout against the run today, but the offensive line was in shambles and being dominated by the D line. He comes out on passing downs and Trevathon and Woody cover the backs and TE's.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #16
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:

Beadles- Same story different year. He looks great pulling, gets dominated trying to anchor.

Offensive Notes- The offensive line was dominated all day long. You could see the frustration in Manning throughout practice.
This is very disturbing
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #17
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Great stuff Ziggy.

Validates my points with Beadles, Carter, and Moore.
I wouldn't put too much credence into any one training camp report Bmore. You can read 10 different reports and get 10 different opinions.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #18
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
This is very disturbing
Keep in mind that the offensive line was really only playing with one of their starters in his original position. This was the line after Franklin went down-
RT- Vasquez (playing out of position)
RG- Lilja (very much out of shape, and brought in to play center)
C- Ramirez-(Just a stop gap until a real center can get healthy, get in shape, and get in the lineup)
LG- Beadles
LT- Chris Clark (back up for both tackle spots)
Old 08-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #19
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Great job Ziggy! How's my man big Knighton doing?
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #20
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Hoping here that the Franklin hip injury isn't too serious. I hate this time of year. Injuries seemingly come by the truckload.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #21
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
Great job Ziggy! How's my man big Knighton doing?
He's playing with both the 2nd and 3rd team at NT. Very stout against the run. No pass rush to speak of. I'm guessing that he's giving the Broncos exactly what they expected when they signed him.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #22
Bmore Manning

Quote:
I wouldn't put too much credence into any one training camp report Bmore. You can read 10 different reports and get 10 different opinions.
Beadles weak and pathetic anchoring..

Carter not as talented as this board gives credit..

Moore solid and unspectacular at best..

Same story different day.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #23
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Good to hear about Sly and Nacho
Nacho sounds like another Chris Harris from all the reports

I doubt Mike Adams gets cut
It sounds like Jammer is rarely playing, and with questions about Q Carter's knee I doubt they would cut both Jammer and Adams
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #24
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:

Knew it. Been saying it all year. Big Vick is starting NT. This should shut-up the omane peanut gallery.

Quote:
Yep. UT (3-tech) in the Broncos 4-3 Under Base Defense. That's why they drafted him in the 1st round. Been saying that all offseason too.

Quote:
Trevathan- Still running in the first team nickel D. He's quick and good in coverage.
I've been looking for this guy to come into his own. Trevathan will be vital this year, mark my words. Much of the Broncos success depends on Trevathan's performance.

Quote:
[Nacho- Still starting with the first unit. He was the undisputed star of practice today. He was making plays behind the LOS, and breaking up TD passes again.
Awesome. Can't wait to see him play.

Quote:
Tony Carter- He's gone from promising young corner to someone on the bubble IMO.
Not news to me. Carter blows at the worst times. Broncos hope against all hopes is that Kayvon Webster steps up.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #25
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
My last trip to training camp this year, and the weather was perfect. This is my 2nd training camp practice attended along with the scrimmage, so I was looking more for consistencies today than anything. Let's get to it:

Offense-

Peyton Manning- His arm is stronger this season. No doubt about it. He showed quite a bit of frustration today as the first team offense was dominated.

Osweiller- He still looks like a 2nd year QB. His mechanics are better and his reads are slightly quicker, but he's still thinking and not just playing out there.

Yep, Meds been calling it for months.

Welker- They had a cone drill where the receivers would sprint to a cone, stop and turn, and accelerate into the catch. He stops and gets back to full speed much quicker than anyone else out there. It was impressive to watch.

Good to see Med right on this one

DT- Unstoppable. He's too big and too fast for anyone to cover. He did drop one pass in the one vs. ones, but other than that he looks even better than last season.

Med was all over this one.

Decker- Very solid. His route running looks crisper this season.

MED!

King- He didn't stand out today like he did last week. You can still see the speed though.

Med saw this one coming.

Julius Thomas- Once again dominated the scrimmage. He gets a ton of reps running with both first and second team offenses. If he can stay healthy, he can dominate.

Gold MEDal

Orlando Franklin- He was looking good until he got hurt. I don't know what the injury was, but he did get up and walk gingerly after it happened. His practice was over after that.

Med even calls injuries before they happen!

Louis Vasquez- He surprisingly played RT after Franklin went down. It was obvious that he hasn't played tackle in many many years, if ever.

If I had a nickle for every time Med called this one.

Ryan Lilja- He played some center with the 2nd and 3rd team before Franklin went down. After, he play first team right guard. I was watching him closely. He gets to the second level quickly, but looked like he was going to collapse from fatigue after every series. He has a ways to go to get in football shape which is understandable.

Med all day on this one.

When you're right you're right, and Med has never been more right.

Take a bow Med. Called it AGAIN.

Virgil Green- The level of talent between him and Julius is night and day. He did get a few plays in at FB.

This call has Med written all over it.

Knowshon Moreno- Dropped one pass, and did nothing else of note.

Med FTW

Hillman- He's quick and cuts decisively. If he can stay healthy, he might have a decent year in the ZBS.

Medtacular!

Montee Ball- You can see the power in his drives, but he still looks like a rook outside of the goal line area. He was chewed out by Manning once again for missing an assignment.

Med in the Middle... The middle of right.

Offensive Notes- The offensive line was dominated all day long. You could see the frustration in Manning throughout practice. I didn't see Greg Orton or Jeremiah Johnson out there at all. Tamme was out in pads, but I didn't see him in the contact drills. He may have been, but I didn't look for him or notice him at all.Med all day on this one.

Med bugs are covering my body in truth.

Defense upcoming.
More like Medfense upcoming.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote