The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default Feds Give Laid off Boeing Workers Sweet Deal

Feds Give Laid off Boeing Workers Sweet Deal

Thanks to a federal program lined up by their unions, local workers laid off during the current dip in employment at Boeing Commercial Airplanes will enjoy a financial cushion that’s much, much plumper than what the average unemployed state resident gets.

Compared to what Joe Worker gets when they get laid off, our members have a pretty extensive safety net,” said Connie Kelliher, spokeswoman for the International Association of Machinists (IAM).

Federal help for Boeing Commercial Airplanes’ laid-off workers

Extended unemployment pay for up to 2½ years

A 72.5 percent tax credit on health-care insurance premiums

90 percent of travel expenses to a job interview covered up to $1,250

90 percent of relocation expenses for a new job, plus a relocation lump sum up to $1,250

Supplemental pay for workers older than 50 re-employed in a lower-paid job, up to $10,000 over two years

Up to $25,000 training grant toward cost of a college degree

Source: state Employment Security Department

http://seattletimes.com/html/busines...ayoffsxml.html
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Good for them for using their collective voice to get what they feel they are worth.

I suppose you're in favor of disbanding the players unions?

This is capitalism, bub.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Good for them for using their collective voice to get what they feel they are worth.

I suppose you're in favor of disbanding the players unions?

This is capitalism, bub.
Oh, I see your point Boeing workers are worth more than the average unemployed state resident so the Feds needs to kick in a little extra for them.

The difference with the players union is the American taxpayers aren't picking up the tab.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Oh, I see your point Boeing workers are worth more than the average unemployed state resident so the Feds needs to kick in a little extra for them.

The difference with the players union is the American taxpayers aren't picking up the tab.
The player's union isn't directly affected by political decisions either. Players don't lose their job because the president negotiates a trade deal that directly eliminates their job.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Another troglodyte shocked by the rare appearance of civilization.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
El Minion
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Ever hear about the publicly financed stadiums the players are playing in, you know socializing the cost to privatize the profit, or colloquially called welfare for billionaires. I love LA for not caving to the public funds shakedown by the NFL
El Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Why do employees of a private company get a federal deal?
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
The player's union isn't directly affected by political decisions either. Players don't lose their job because the president negotiates a trade deal that directly eliminates their job.
So will Obama give this same sweet deal to the coal miners that have had their jobs eliminated by his energy policy?
Old 08-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
nyuk nyuk

Amazing the sense of entitlement. When the feds closed down Rocky Flats, similar shrieks were hear from people: We demand retraining at similar wages, blah blah blah.

Sorry but every job everybody takes is a risk. If that job ends, there is never a guarantee for anyone anywhere their next job will pay as much.

I don't see why certain groups of workers should enjoy special rights and cushions from the reality of the world of unemployment that others have to face. That is just crap.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

The outrage of the Right Wingers is a comedy of error.

It is attempted atrocities like these, piled one on top of other, that have gotten into the collective psyche of society today. Reading about another wacky corporate payout is not something I can ever get anesthetized to. Each one is just another pinprick of the injustices in our broken system of corporate governance. People rightly perceive that in corporate America, the game is rigged. Rank and file workers are the balls getting bounced around off the bumpers of a pinball machine, while insider corporate cronies dole out shareholder money for egregious bonuses using like it’s a Parker Bros. game of Monopoly. As one justification the crony filled board made mention that after the bankruptcy all of Mr. Horton’s precious options might be worthless. What about the pensions of the thousands of employees who held AMR Corp. stock? What about unsuspecting public shareholders and widows and orphans?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/richardf...ion-severance/
Old 08-04-2013, 04:41 AM   #11
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
I don't see why certain groups of workers should enjoy special rights and cushions from the reality of the world of unemployment that others have to face. That is just crap.
Pretty simple really. In lieu of pay at the present they took this package for the future. Good for them and good for their union to actually do something good for them. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before that union gets the blame for them being out of work in the first place.

You can't pay bank execs big bonuses and say its contract we had too, then turn around and not honour this. Either you believe in contracts or you don't.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #12
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

In America, contracts only have meaning for those who can defend them in court.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #13
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

I like the the fact that no one has pointed out that the program is available to any and all workers who's job has been displaced overseas. The Boeing Union just had the ability to ensure their member had knowledge of the program and how to apply. That is the power of organization.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #14
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
I like the the fact that no one has pointed out that the program is available to any and all workers who's job has been displaced overseas. The Boeing Union just had the ability to ensure their member had knowledge of the program and how to apply. That is the power of organization.
+1
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #15
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
In Soviet Russia, court defends YOU!
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #16
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
Pretty simple really. In lieu of pay at the present they took this package for the future. Good for them and good for their union to actually do something good for them. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before that union gets the blame for them being out of work in the first place.

You can't pay bank execs big bonuses and say its contract we had too, then turn around and not honour this. Either you believe in contracts or you don't.
Union? It's a federal program, union or non-union, only applying to jobs outsourced overseas while leaving those who are laid off domestically in favor of foreign imported labor up the creek.

This is a case of special rights for certain people. It's epic stupidity. What about these people in specific entitles them to this? Nothing.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #17
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Lol it isn't a case of special rights for certain people. If you have a problem with foreign workers being brought in via the hb2(I believe) program contact your congressman about changing the laws that allow that.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #18
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Lol it isn't a case of special rights for certain people. If you have a problem with foreign workers being brought in via the hb2(I believe) program contact your congressman about changing the laws that allow that.
Clearly it is. Certain unemployed people are given special handouts.

I guess you guys don't believe in equal treatment
Old 08-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #19
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Clearly it is. Certain unemployed people are given special handouts.

I guess you guys don't believe in equal treatment
well then,get off this board and contact your rep about it.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:03 AM   #20
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Union? It's a federal program, union or non-union, only applying to jobs outsourced overseas while leaving those who are laid off domestically in favor of foreign imported labor up the creek.
I was only going by the info provided.

Quote:
Feds Give Laid off Boeing Workers Sweet Deal

Thanks to a federal program lined up by their unions
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
So like elsid says, its a good thing the union let the membership know about it. I stand by my original statement, the union did some good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I fear you are right, and its terrible.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote