The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2014, 08:56 AM   #1
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default OT: Spirit Airlines

spirit is awful, but if you do fly spirit, go to the airport and buy your tickets AT the airport, youll save $34 round trip because they charge a 16.99 fee each way to book online.
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2014, 09:28 AM   #2
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
spirit is awful, but if you do fly spirit, go to the airport and buy your tickets AT the airport, youll save $34 round trip because they charge a 16.99 fee each way to book online.
They will charge you to check in at the airport and probably a fee for buying at the airport. They get their price one way or another.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Frontier now charges for carry-on bags. $25.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Flying gets to be more expensive and more of a pain in the ass every year.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #5
Meck77

Wife and Friend have flown on spirit. Both felt like they were going to die. Duct tape on seats. Flights canceled and got stranded. Neither would fly again for FREE!

You get what you pay for.
Meck77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Frontier wants to be the new Spirit. That airline is going to **** quickly. They won't be around in 5 years

EDIT: I should say at their current rate they won't be around in 5 years.

Last edited by theAPAOps5; 09-27-2014 at 01:26 PM..
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:38 PM   #7
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Actually you should see what airline tickets cost in the 70's and 80's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
Frontier wants to be the new Spirit. That airline is going to **** quickly. They won't be around in 5 years
Why do you say that? They are making money and growing.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Thanks Obama!

http://online.wsj.com/articles/for-t...ets-1404341606
Old 09-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #9
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Actually you should see what airline tickets cost in the 70's and 80's.

Why do you say that? They aren't making money and growing.
FYP

I will leave it at that, because I have to.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
Meck77

It's impossible to say what airlines will be around in 5 years. At the rate it's going we will be forced into flying only one company. Universal Airlines! Instead of animals on the tail wings there will be a pictures of Obama.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #11
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
It's impossible to say what airlines will be around in 5 years. At the rate it's going we will be forced into flying only one company. Universal Airlines! Instead of animals on the tail wings there will be a pictures of Obama.
That is very true. Although at this rate any more consolidation will be done so at the scrutiny of anti-trust laws.

Frontier has had an uncanny way of surviving when on deaths doorstep. They almost sunk the parent company of Republic Airways who couldn't get rid of them fast enough. Now they are going to this pay for everything strategy, have no customer service, and face a lot of competition at their home base from Southwest in Denver. Southwest, who just got five more brand spanking new gates to operate from. 5 gates for Southwest is like 10 gates for other airlines given their incredible turn times
Old 09-27-2014, 03:01 PM   #12
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

spirit is one of the most profitable airlines there, for this exact reason. again, the airline is awful, but the wife and i got round trip tickets from FLL to laguardia for $220 total. print your ticket at the kiosk and bring a backpack, you can see places for very cheap.
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:14 PM   #13
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

With the dude who took out the Radar Tower up here in Aurora the Airlines have to start pumping money into their infrastructure. I used to work for that hospital they sent the dude to, it is right across the street from the radar tower. Kind of surprised it took so long for them to cut over to the Elgin radar tower.

I read about the cost to incurred to put GPS into planes after that Malaysian Jet was lost but after yesterday I would think the FAA should enforce a push to go GPS, I would think in the long run installing some GPS transponders and console would be cheaper than running antiquated Radar from a few sites in and around major airport hubs. That act took out air traffic into at least 5 states. I still don't see a lot of air traffic over head.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:17 PM   #14
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
With the dude who took out the Radar Tower up here in Aurora the Airlines have to start pumping money into their infrastructure. I used to work for that hospital they sent the dude to, it is right across the street from the radar tower. Kind of surprised it took so long for them to cut over to the Elgin radar tower.

I read about the cost to incurred to put GPS into planes after that Malaysian Jet was lost but after yesterday I would think the FAA should enforce a push to go GPS, I would think in the long run installing some GPS transponders and console would be cheaper than running antiquated Radar from a few sites in and around major airport hubs. That act took out air traffic into at least 5 states. I still don't see a lot of air traffic over head.
That isn't the airlines infrastructure. That is the federal government. Airline user fees won't go up, they are what pay for improvements to facilities. The Feds are going to have to pump money into their facilities to create redundancy. It won't be at an increase to the airlines, it will be at the expense of other budget needs like instrument landing system equipment, airport upgrades, staffing, etc.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #15
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
That isn't the airlines infrastructure. That is the federal government. Airline user fees won't go up, they are what pay for improvements to facilities. The Feds are going to have to pump money into their facilities to create redundancy. It won't be at an increase to the airlines, it will be at the expense of other budget needs like instrument landing system equipment, airport upgrades, staffing, etc.
Was wondering how that worked. Thought the Time article said that it was the airlines resisting due to cost but I read that a couple months ago.

You work in the industry, what is your take on what happened and is radar still the best method for dealing with planes in the air in this day and age? Could the real failure been in their Disaster Recovery planning at the site, that is after the dude cut and set fire to the cables?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #16
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
spirit is one of the most profitable airlines there, for this exact reason. again, the airline is awful, but the wife and i got round trip tickets from FLL to laguardia for $220 total. print your ticket at the kiosk and bring a backpack, you can see places for very cheap.
Yes they have a business model that works. But other airlines trying to emulate it will struggle because they have a customer base that already has an expectation. Existing airlines depend in their frequent fliers to help drive revenue. Spirit relies in reaching a demographic that us priced out of flying and are not considered regulars.

It is hard to switch to that business model without alienating your customers. Spirit negotiated gate leases and contracts with the business model in mind. Frontier, a Spirit wannabe had not.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #17
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Frontier is awful. Spirit is awful. I have had simple unacceptable, verging on disgusting encounters with both, I don't care how cheap they are, I won't condone that business model with another dollar.
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #18
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Was wondering how that worked. Thought the Time article said that it was the airlines resisting due to cost but I read that a couple months ago.

You work in the industry, what is your take on what happened and is radar still the best method for dealing with planes in the air in this day and age? Could the real failure been in their Disaster Recovery planning at the site, that is after the dude cut and set fire to the cables?
The FAA us so antiquated it is embarrassing. They rely on technology from the 1950's to move modern efficient aircraft around the world. They are slow to move to full Performance Based Navigation and GPS technology.

The airlines do push back on any real significant improvements. There are two ways money is collected for improvements. Airlines have a very vocal say in how one is used. This is more used for Terminal improvements. The way the FAA is funded is through user fees collected on passenger tickets. The airlines only really lobby against those going up. They probably won't go up, they will just pull money away from other areas.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #19
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
Frontier is awful.
Huh I've flown them probably 30 times and rarely had an issue. They stopped service to my main destination so stopped using them about two years ago. It must have gone down hill around that time.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:40 PM   #20
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I never had an issue with Frontier, though I haven't flown with them in a few years. Very affordable tickets.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:04 PM   #21
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Driving to the airport, parking, and buying there costs just about as much, unless you're suggesting buying them the day of travel which is totally unrealistic.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:04 PM   #22
Uncle Bill
Solid Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I never had an issue with Frontier, though I haven't flown with them in a few years. Very affordable tickets.
Frontier used to be really good. Now they're really average, and they've added ridiculous baggage fees. I can't justify flying Frontier anymore, when Southwest offers the same quality service to more destinations, at a considerably lower price.

I have no idea what their strategy is, and I'm not an airline executive, so maybe I'm the stupid one. But coming from someone who used to fly Frontier often, I won't even waste my time looking at their flights anymore; they're never even in the ballpark with Southwest.
Uncle Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #23
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Frontier has taken the turn towards fees and crap customer service in the last year. They used to be my main choice. Now they are last resort.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:26 PM   #24
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:

EDIT: I should say at their current rate they won't be around in 5 years.
I read an article the other day that puts Frontier in the top 5 by customers for service. That'll go a long ways to keep a service in business. Delta has taken #1. Southwest has really fallen. Never even heard of Spirit
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:28 PM   #25
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
I read an article the other day that puts Frontier in the top 5 by customers for service. That'll go a long ways to keep a service in business. Delta has taken #1. Southwest has really fallen. Never even heard of Spirit
That will change.... Already is

You can find articles that say several airlines are tops

Here is JD Power for 2013 it has Alaska

http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...sfaction-study

This article says Southwest

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...airlines.html/

USA Today has JetBlue #1 and Southwest #2
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...lines/8144891/

Nowhere have I seen southwest drop. So I am saying that your article probably isn't very accurate.

Last edited by theAPAOps5; 09-27-2014 at 05:36 PM..