The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2014, 11:08 PM   #1
DAN_BRONCO_FAN
Ring of Famer

weed will win

Adopt-a-Bronco:
miles
Default Kids go hungry as lunch rules force schools to toss leftover food

http://eagnews.org/kids-go-hungry-as...leftover-food/

KYLE OLSON

Kyle founded Education Action Group in 2007.
Find Kyle on Twitter.

STORM LAKE, Iowa – Some kids are going hungry, but it’s not because of a lack of food, nor because they don’t want to eat what’s being served.

Michelle Obama shockIt has more to do with new federal school lunch rules championed by First Lady Michelle Obama.

Leaders at Iowa’s Storm Lake Elementary School find themselves in a “frustrating” dilemma.

The updated National School Lunch Program rules strictly regulate the amount of calories, sodium and sugar children can consume.

One way to ensure that is to ban seconds.

The Pilot Tribune reports: “The rules for school lunches say ‘no seconds,’ and some students remain hungry while pans of hash browns and scalloped potatoes with ham are left to be thrown away.”

“In talking to some of my friends who are principals around the country, some schools are starting to opt out of the hot lunch program,” because of the regulations, Principal Juli Kwikkel tells the paper.

“That doesn’t fill them up,” Kwikkel says of the healthier offerings of fruits and vegetables.

“They don’t get much protein. And you’ll be told that it’s because they are following the federal regulations.”

A one-size-fits-all lunch isn’t always doing the job, the principal says.

“It just depends on the child, the meal and the day of the week. We have some kids who will throw their food away, and others who lick the plate clean and are still quite hungry.”

A Montana cafeteria employee spilled the beans to EAGnews and the details underscore what’s happening in Storm Lake.

“It’s completely flip-flopped in terms of portion size,” our source said of the news regulations.
I’m appalled at the serving sizes we’re required to give high school students,” she added.

“We’re told we cannot serve seconds, that we cannot save leftover food for the next day. We must throw it away,” the source said. “What a waste for hungry kids who aren’t getting enough to eat to begin with.”

While state and federal bureaucrats have always required food service workers keep extensive records of what’s being served, the overall amount of paperwork has exploded with the new Obama administration requirements, EAGnews reported.

“We have to keep an enormous amount of paperwork, about serving sizes, food temperatures, labels, on and on,” our source says. “The new forms are more complex, ask for more information that’s just being duplicated on other forms. (Food service workers) are all collecting the same data for reports that sit in a file drawer and never get looked at.”

And while all that goes on, starving kids are going hungry in Storm Lake
DAN_BRONCO_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
DAN_BRONCO_FAN
Ring of Famer

weed will win

Adopt-a-Bronco:
miles

HASKELL, Okla. – A chicken patty, small scoop of mashed potatoes and carton of milk aren’t enough to sustain a high school boy.

Haskell skimpy lunchBut under the school lunch regulations championed by First Lady Michelle Obama, that’s what Haskell High School served recently.

Haskell High School senior Darrel Bunch took a photo of one of his recent skimpy school lunches and sent it to Fox 23.

“It’s mostly the portions,” Bunch says. “Last year we started getting less food.”

“Last year, my boys started calling me, ‘Can you please bring me something to eat?’ ‘We’re still hungry,’ or, ‘This is gross,” the student’s mother, Cheryl Bunch tells the news station.

Another photo taken by a different student showed a single cheese-filled bread stick with marinara sauce.

Hackell bread stick“When they serve a bread stick and marinara, it’s like, ‘Here, I’ve given up on trying to find you something nutritious and healthy,'” Cheryl Bunch says.

The school refused to allow the news station to show that day’s lunch servings. They wouldn’t even speak on camera.

Haskell superintendent Sharon Herrington defended the lunches off-camera, saying students are offered five items and they are required to take three. That means the chicken patty, glob of potatoes and milk would qualify as a complete lunch under the federal rules.

Students contend the salad bar offerings are skimpy and not “fresh.”

The school wouldn’t allow that to be photographed, either.

Because the USDA rules require whole grains to be served, the school has banned white bread.

Biscuits and gravy were a popular item with students, but the gravy was deemed to not be healthy enough. They’re gone, too.

“I’m sure there are parents here in Haskell who could give their input on how to make these meals better, if the school would be open to working with them,” Cheryl Bunch tells the news station.

Another Oklahoma student recently posted a photo of her paltry school lunch on social media.

Lunch meat, a couple of crackers, a slice of cheese and two pieces of cauliflower were what Chickasha Public Schools served as lunch a couple weeks ago.

“It makes me want to take that and take it to the superintendent and tell him to eat it for lunch,” the girl tells Fox 25.

“I can go pay a dollar for a Lunchable and get more food in it,” her father says.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:57 PM   #3
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN_BRONCO_FAN View Post
HASKELL, Okla. – A chicken patty, small scoop of mashed potatoes and carton of milk aren’t enough to sustain a high school boy.

Haskell skimpy lunchBut under the school lunch regulations championed by First Lady Michelle Obama, that’s what Haskell High School served recently.

Haskell High School senior Darrel Bunch took a photo of one of his recent skimpy school lunches and sent it to Fox 23.

“It’s mostly the portions,” Bunch says. “Last year we started getting less food.”

“Last year, my boys started calling me, ‘Can you please bring me something to eat?’ ‘We’re still hungry,’ or, ‘This is gross,” the student’s mother, Cheryl Bunch tells the news station.

Another photo taken by a different student showed a single cheese-filled bread stick with marinara sauce.

Hackell bread stick“When they serve a bread stick and marinara, it’s like, ‘Here, I’ve given up on trying to find you something nutritious and healthy,'” Cheryl Bunch says.

The school refused to allow the news station to show that day’s lunch servings. They wouldn’t even speak on camera.

Haskell superintendent Sharon Herrington defended the lunches off-camera, saying students are offered five items and they are required to take three. That means the chicken patty, glob of potatoes and milk would qualify as a complete lunch under the federal rules.

Students contend the salad bar offerings are skimpy and not “fresh.”

The school wouldn’t allow that to be photographed, either.

Because the USDA rules require whole grains to be served, the school has banned white bread.

Biscuits and gravy were a popular item with students, but the gravy was deemed to not be healthy enough. They’re gone, too.

“I’m sure there are parents here in Haskell who could give their input on how to make these meals better, if the school would be open to working with them,” Cheryl Bunch tells the news station.

Another Oklahoma student recently posted a photo of her paltry school lunch on social media.

Lunch meat, a couple of crackers, a slice of cheese and two pieces of cauliflower were what Chickasha Public Schools served as lunch a couple weeks ago.

“It makes me want to take that and take it to the superintendent and tell him to eat it for lunch,” the girl tells Fox 25.

“I can go pay a dollar for a Lunchable and get more food in it,” her father says.

The standard is up to 850 calorie meals for high school students. That's more than enough for a big, filling nutritious meal. That is, if aren't shoving your face full of sugar and fat.

A sample of something decent (what I cooked for dinner tonight actually):

(rough estimate per serving)
8 oz (1/2 pound) turkey breast: 236 cals
3/4 cup (dry) cup brown rice: 225 cals
1/4 onion: 5 cals
1/2 bell pepper: 15 cals
1/4 cup baby portabellos: 4cals
1/2 cup Sweet & Sour sauce: 120 cals
Totals

cals: ~610 (70% of the max allowed)
sodium: 545mg
fat: 6g
sat fat: < 1g
protein: 58g ( > 100% of what a typical teen male needs)

That's a pretty decent meal already, and still under the guidelines allowing for even more if needed. Plenty of room to add/tweak other things.

The problem isn't the guidelines. The problem is implementation. Serving calorie dense, processed sh*t because it's the cheapest option.

EDIT: Speaking of price: A quick napkin calc says I spent about $3.75 in fresh ingredients for that meal (retail). Bulk, frozen retail alternatives (e.g. costco) probably drive that down to around $2.50. For a large cafeteria it's probably significantly less. The bar isn't that god damn high.

Last edited by Fedaykin; 11-13-2014 at 12:27 AM..
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:30 AM   #4
DAN_BRONCO_FAN
Ring of Famer

weed will win

Adopt-a-Bronco:
miles

but there wasnt a problem with the school meals before , and the school meals i had was ok. the hamburger was kinda on the dry side and i wasnt much of a veggie spinach guy or whatever that green stuff was