The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #1426
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
Dude, Trevor Pryce played in 8 gaems as a rookie. Yet another example of a top DT that needed time.
This.

He was completely inactive his first 8 games.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #1427
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
Dude, Trevor Pryce played in 8 gaems as a rookie. Yet another example of a top DT that needed time.
Pryce came out as a true Junior. Sly came out as a 6th year Senior.

I would certainly hope a 24 year old could get some sacks against teenagers. Age matters on the DL. That's why I wanted Damontre Moore.

I hope and pray Sly was just gassed from his 1st training camp, and can turn it on in game 3. He was looking good early in camp, hopefully he can regain his form.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #1428
orange skier
Who is Josh McDaniels ?

Protect "The Neck"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Alex Gibbs

I'm thrilled that Trevathan is now starting. And I trust Del Rio. But.........I remember when we moved D.J. inside.......that was a bust. We took a very good WLB and totally lost him for a year. That being said, he was able to switch back outside fairly easily.
orange skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #1429
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBronco7 View Post
Im not sure about Jackson. I liked what has done in preseason so far, and hes certainly a beast, but Im not that excited with him as an edge rusher. He reminds of Ayers. His quickness is better, but its still pretty average imo. He can set the edge though, so hopefully he can keep improving his pass rushing. Ayers isnt much of a threat, so Jackson has a decent chance.

On base d, Irving is going to take substantial snaps at either MLB or Sam. I think hes better at Sam with his quickness and ability to blitz. But with the way injuries have come, hes the best fit at MLB. I think hes the best run stuffer thats healthy at lber, and I think Del Rio prefers big, run stuffing lbers in the middle of his defense on base downs. Irving has been taking snaps the entire time at TC, hes going to get his shot on base d. Travathan has to take the snaps from Irving at this point, not the other way around imo. The Broncos are just shuffling the line right now to see what everyone can do. I dont take the recent changes seriously.

I just cant get on board with Woodyard at MLB. It makes no sense to me. The MLB in Del Rios scheme is only responsible for the inside gaps (for the most part) and isnt responsible for much else. He wants a big physical guy who can stuff the run. Thats what hes done his whole career.

It will be interesting to see if the Broncos change into a more traditional 43. Its tough to say. Can the Broncos rush the edge from the end spot? Maybe Phillips sticks his hand in the dirt and goes after it? Its a possibility. Other than him though, I dont have much hope. Wolfe isnt a good enough edge rusher. Hes better on the inside of a tradtional 43 defense imo. Ayers is nothing special either. I just dont like the idea vs 43 Under.

I really like what I have seen from Malik. He's a more explosive version of Ayers. I think he could play End in base and inside or outside in sub packages.

Wolfe plays as a DT in our scheme even though he is listed as a DE. But I had him as a true UT if we ran a traditional 4-3. If only Q could get healthy..
Q/Phillips, Wolfe, Vickerson, Jackson wouldn't be terrible, but Woody wouldn't have the protection in that scheme at MLB.

I also prefer the 4-3 Under with Phillips at SAM.. I'm just suggesting how it would have to work if Irving played SAM.. And that's more of a traditional 4-3, utilizing LB and DB blitzes.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #1430
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Nobody is b****in'. Losing Dumervil and seeing the possibility of having a full year without Von Miller puts getting a pass rusher, DE or OLB in the draft imperative. As I said before, contracts coming up and possible let go's and retirements make upgrading the defense that important. Besides some OL, I like where our offense is at.

Woodyard is in a contract year and is playing out of position. Irving seems destined to back-up status unless he plays over Phillips or the recent signing. I do not want a carousel at ILB. I want the real deal there so we do not have to continue our shuffle. Could grab Quanterus' teammate this year or a half dozen others. Getting a MIKE in the draft would have been ideal. Wonder how Reddick is doing.
With the Vilma injury, I thought I read he has a chance to now be a starter in New Orleans.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #1431
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post

I would certainly hope a 24 year old could get some sacks against teenagers. Age matters on the DL. That's why I wanted Damontre Moore.

I hope and pray Sly was just gassed from his 1st training camp, and can turn it on in game 3. He was looking good early in camp, hopefully he can regain his form.
Who gives a **** how old he was? It's their first pro season! And you are claiming he's crap after two preseason games!!

Know who else only started 8 games his rookie season and had 3 sacks? Warren Sapp!

#notgoodnuffforprice
Old 08-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #1432
Bmore Manning

Sly needs to develop. Rookie DTs have some of the lowest impact rates early on. They are facing smaller, weaker, much less talented and season players opposite them in college. The NFL is full of refined OLinemen, so they need time to catch up with not just technique, but also with strength.

Sly had poor hand technique, which says two things. 1 He can be a real freak if he had the success he had in college without proper technique, and 2 it will take some time to develop and learn the technique.

Who cares if he doesn't start a game, but registers 6-8 sacks! I care about the impact, not whether he starts.

Price, expecting instant impact because he was a first rounder isn't fair. Not to mention he still hasn't played a meaningful NFL snap. Just lighten up the expectations a little bro.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #1433
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
price and his alter egos
I made a movie reference. The GIF with Robert Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder may have helped..
Old 08-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #1434
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
#notgoodnuffforprice
#SuperbowlOrBust2013
Old 08-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #1435
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
med called it
This is MED's world, I'm just trying to get by.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #1436
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Sly had poor hand technique, which says two things. 1 He can be a real freak if he had the success he had in college without proper technique, and 2 it will take some time to develop and learn the technique.
I don't know about that. One of Sly's best attributes is his quick factory hands.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #1437
Bmore Manning

Quote:
I don't know about that. One of Sly's best attributes is his quick factory hands.
No..Quick First Step!!!!

Hand usage needs help. Vickerson said that early on.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #1438
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
No..Quick First Step!!!!

Hand usage needs help. Vickerson said that early on.
1st drive: Knighton fell down twice, no impact at all.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #1439
Bmore Manning

Quote:
1st drive: Knighton fell down twice, no impact at all.
Against... Whom? I pointed out what he did in both games.

Plenty more than no impact.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:04 PM   #1440
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Against... Whom? I pointed out what he did in both games.

Plenty more than no impact.
Seahawks. Sly didn't really do anything either. But at least he didn't fall down on every running play, or get shoved out of the play. Only taped the 1st hour.

Ramirez did well, from what I saw, except for not covering up the turnovers. Magazu said he would be starting the 1st game of the season. I'm getting more comfortable with that.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #1441
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
comparing Trevor Pryce to Sylvester Williams.

Trevor Pryce had 13 sacks in the NFL at the age of 24. How many do you think Sly will have?

Sly needs to flash in the worst way.
Pryce was a total non-factor as a rookie. Many fans thought he was a bust. Somewhere between year 1 and 2, Shanny had a talk with him and the light bulb finally went on.

To make a judgement on Sly after 2 preseason games is beyond absurd.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #1442
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Seahawks. Sly didn't really do anything either. But at least he didn't fall down on every running play, or get shoved out of the play. Only taped the 1st hour.

Ramirez did well, from what I saw, except for not covering up the turnovers. Magazu said he would be starting the 1st game of the season. I'm getting more comfortable with that.
Quote:
I'm through the first quarter and I saw Knighton chase Lynch down for the tackle for no gain, chase Wilson down but WW got the sack, and saw him alot more disruptive in the backfield than Unrein. He drew the double teams and held up well.

Once he was off his feet, he looked like he was cut blocked from the Guard.

Still a quarter to evaluate..

Malik played Nickel DT and was thrown to the ground. It was a Turbin draw, and he and Sly were dominated on the play. I don't think Malik should be playing base DT.
That was what I posted after watching the same first hour as you, and we both came away very differently from evaluating the same players.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:03 AM   #1443
Bmore Manning

Quote:
So I'm rewatching the game and evaluating.. So far I don't get the Ran Ram hate. He made one mistake picking up the DT allowing Wagner to stop the run for a loss.. But he is making contact with anyone and everyone he can.

He's not getting abused or overwhelmed in pass pro or run blocking. The hold on Mebane would have been called, but on the play Beadles didn't recognize the player dropping and took Clark's man, Clark stood still and Man Ram was flat out beat on the play. A chip from Beadles eliminates that..
This I posted in the ManRam thread. So we agree after evaluating him, that he was nowhere near as terrible as others have claimed, but we disagree dramatically about Knighton.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #1444
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Darren McKee ‏@dmac1043 5m
Quincy mcduffie left practice. Drc got into an endzone collision he went down but is okay with a "bump in his back". Welker would be there If there was a game tomorrow. But no reason now. Champ is in a boot

Cecil Lammey ‏@cecillammey 3m
Wolfe describes injury as "pretty scary" but says it looked worse than it was. Thanks #Broncos fans for their support

Gray Caldwell ‏@GrayCaldwell 2m
Wolfe: "If you play scared, you're going to get hurt again. Don't count on me playing scared."

Gray Caldwell ‏@GrayCaldwell 55s
Wolfe said he did a full upper-body workout in the weight room today. "Obviously that's a good sign."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 1m
Derek Wolfe did not want to offer a time table, but hopes to be ready for Week 1. He said he did a full upper body workout today

Wolfe said once the pain goes away he will undergo another MRI and then he will be back

Cecil Lammey ‏@cecillammey 1m
"They clapped for me when I got on the plane" Wolfe on #Broncos teammates reaction. Says Woodyard gives him grief for not giving thumbs up

Wolfe on returning vs Baltimore "in my head I say yes, as soon as they clear me to go I'm there"

Gray Caldwell ‏@GrayCaldwell 46s
I just ran into Champ Bailey. After suffering a foot injury against Seattle, he said he's "getting better every day."

Last edited by Gutless Drunk; 08-22-2013 at 12:31 PM..
Gutless Drunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #1445
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:

What now? he played 2 years at Coffeyville and 2 years at NCU.... how does that make 6?
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #1446
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
This I posted in the ManRam thread. So we agree after evaluating him, that he was nowhere near as terrible as others have claimed, but we disagree dramatically about Knighton.
ManRam is actually getting to the 2nd level on some running plays, and (like you said) is doing fairly well in pass protection. ManRam certainly doesn't get pushed back in the passing game, like Beadles.

Ball needs to learn pass-pro, after that, the Offense will be fine.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #1447
Drunken.Broncoholic

I would not be surprised if come the ravens game both starting corners are out with injury.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #1448
BroncoBeavis

Any chance Champ's injury is just of the "Screw this Preseason Bull****" variety?
Old 08-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #1449
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I would not be surprised if come the ravens game both starting corners are out with injury.
If DRC is the other corner youre referring to, he's practicing already. he wouldn't be practicing if he couldnt play.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #1450
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
If DRC is the other corner youre referring to, he's practicing already. he wouldn't be practicing if he couldnt play.
And immediately got hurt again....I'm guessing a "bump in the back" isn't anything serious but still. Pulled from practice as soon as he got out there.

Edit: Sorry Son of LeLo I didn't see he came back in after getting hurt the 2nd time. Still a little worried about their health at the corner going in.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 08-22-2013 at 03:02 PM..