The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #1401
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Trevathan is perfect size for MIKE. 6'0" 245 lbs.

Same exact size as Jon Beason.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #1402
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Just like every year.
Unfortunately we have injuries, position swaps, contract situations and Von being a retard. I guess Champ's situation as well. Outside upgrading the OL, most resources should focus on defense.

We are patch working our team right now. Phillips signing was a blessing in disguise. Give Quanterus and Jackson a year and get a good end in the top three rounds. Add a LB (good draft) and CB. If Von messes up again, we will need help at SAM.

Will have to see how Free Agency goes but I want to shore up the troops. We are blessed to have two coaches (Fox and Del Rio) who can identify good defensive talent and utilize players well.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #1403
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
What's the over under on tackles and sacks for Sly Williams this year?

30 tackles 2 sacks?

lulz

1. Screwed up by paying Mays $4M.
2. Screwed up by drafting Osweiler instead of Lavonte David.
3. Screwed up by drafting Sly Williams instead of a real pass rusher.
4. Screwed up by letting Bannan go.
5. Screwed up by not having Koppen go through off-season conditioning program.
5. Screwed up by not resigning Brooking.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #1404
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
Angerer probably could have been had considering what a bad fit he is in Indy's 3-4. I've liked him going back to his time at Iowa, but he has the same size limitations WWIII has. I think we Denver will be fine with Wood/Von/Trev. Fox has traditionally had smallish, athletic LB corps and I think with the interior DL being what it is, we will have bigger worries than the LB corps later this season--barring injury of course.
He's not going to be good at taking on blocks, which as you pointed out is asked upon of 3-4 ILBs, at least of one of the two inside backers.

But in a scheme like ours where he can flow to the ball and would be protected by our DLine, he would really really excel. He's also good in coverage, despite having average speed.

I still think he would have been and can be a great affordable and proven option at MLB.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #1405
Bmore Manning

Quote:

30 tackles 2 sacks?

lulz

3. We needed an interior push. Why are you already writing him off?
4. We didn't need Bannan's one dimensional ass.
5B? We didn't screw up not resigning his old ass. But we did screw up not having a better contingency plan if Irving didn't work out..
Old 08-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #1406
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

30 tackles 2 sacks?

lulz

So frustrated.

1) Agree
2) Can we wait till he sucks before deciding he sucks?
3) Stop with this already
4) Your hard on for him is odd.
5) Its a knee tendon, he didn't die from a heart attack. Plus, he probably wasn't eating Bon Bons all day
6) He's still available. There's a reason they didnt.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #1407
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I have a feeling Pricejj the GM trades a young Trevor Pryce for a back up safety and young Aaron Rodgers for a bag of balls
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #1408
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
He's not going to be good at taking on blocks, which as you pointed out is asked upon of 3-4 ILBs, at least of one of the two inside backers.

But in a scheme like ours where he can flow to the ball and would be protected by our DLine, he would really really excel. He's also good in coverage, despite having average speed.

I still think he would have been and can be a great affordable and proven option at MLB.
yeah, I agree w/ all that. I think Woodyard has the *potential* to be as good as Angerer given his skillsset, but we won't know until they begin playing. I think Denver would have done well to at least inquire about the availability of Angerer this offseason.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #1409
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I have a feeling Pricejj the GM trades a young Trevor Pryce for a back up safety and young Aaron Rodgers for a bag of balls
Old 08-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #1410
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
So frustrated.

1) Agree
2) Can we wait till he sucks before deciding he sucks?
3) Stop with this already
4) Your hard on for him is odd.
5) Its a knee tendon, he didn't die from a heart attack. Plus, he probably wasn't eating Bon Bons all day
6) He's still available. There's a reason they didnt.
amen
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #1411
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Beat the Chefs! Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:

30 tackles 2 sacks?

lulz

Is this post for reals?

You lost me at the Bannan love.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #1412
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Denver has spent their first pick in consecutive years on d-line and you people are still b****ing? DL probably take more time to develop than any other position in football.

I have no problem with Trevathan and Woodyard seeing more time on the field. Where I disagree is their positions. Woodyard is a WLB and ideally suited for the role. Trevathan can probably play SLB, but I think he is probably suited for MLB more. But Del Rio is a hell of a coach, so I'm going to assume he knows more than me or anybody on this board.

Sly Williams is exactly what this team needs...a DT who can rush the passer up the middle. It will take time to develop him against the run though, but again DT is the hardest position to transition in the NFL so he needs time to develop.

Brooking sucked and there is a reason he hasn't been picked up.

I see some crucial mistakes by Elway and company, 1) not shoring up center in FA, 2) not resigning Doom. 2 wasn't going to be a too much of a problem until Von ****ed things up, but now it's really going to be an issue generating a pass rush.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #1413
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

30 tackles 2 sacks?

lulz

You gotta take a breather, bro.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #1414
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Trevathan is perfect size for MIKE. 6'0" 245 lbs.

Same exact size as Jon Beason.
The pistol and the penis pump.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #1415
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Denver has spent their first pick in consecutive years on d-line and you people are still b****ing? DL probably take more time to develop than any other position in football.

I have no problem with Trevathan and Woodyard seeing more time on the field. Where I disagree is their positions. Woodyard is a WLB and ideally suited for the role. Trevathan can probably play SLB, but I think he is probably suited for MLB more. But Del Rio is a hell of a coach, so I'm going to assume he knows more than me or anybody on this board.

Sly Williams is exactly what this team needs...a DT who can rush the passer up the middle. It will take time to develop him against the run though, but again DT is the hardest position to transition in the NFL so he needs time to develop.

Brooking sucked and there is a reason he hasn't been picked up.

I see some crucial mistakes by Elway and company, 1) not shoring up center in FA, 2) not resigning Doom. 2 wasn't going to be a too much of a problem until Von ****ed things up, but now it's really going to be an issue generating a pass rush.
What do you mean you people..
Old 08-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #1416
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
price and his alter egos
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #1417
NorCalBronco7

Quote:
I think Trevethan is the real deal and will prove to be a very good LB, he won't just be a subpackage player. It could just be coincidental that Harris said that. But this is a second year player, who I think has looked very good thus far and is having a great pre season. I actually wouldn't be opposed to Trevethan playing MLB and think he could excel there.
In college, his strength wasn't coverage, it was actually considered a question mark. He's best attributes were his anticipation and instincts, and ability to play make all over the field. He's developed his coverage skills.

I'm excited for Malik and think he can push Ayers who I'm not excited about, for snaps at RDE. He's just as stout if not more stout against the run, and I think he's more explosive off the edge than Ayers. I also think Wolfe if healthy is primed for a HUGE season. Don't count out a healthy Q!

I don't think Irving has skills playing on the outside to do anything other than stop the run. He will not be pass rushing, sure he may be asked to ocassionally blitz, but I'm not sure he has the aptitude or instincts to delay blitz. Obviously he should play SAM on obvious running downs. But I would prefer a rotation of he and Phillips.

I'm concerned that a good QB would look at our LBs without Irving and audible to pass. With Irving we should play as a more traditional 4-3. But.. That would require more push inside, either Wolfe or Sly, and maybe Jackson playing LDE.

More Traditional 4-3
Ayers, Wolfe, Vickerson, Jackson
Trevathan, Woody, Irving

I actually like that look because all 4 players are competent at stuffing the run and are competent at generating pressure. It would certainly force more blitzing, but a package like that I would prefer if Irving plays SAM.

But in a 4-3 Under package
Jackson/Ayers, Vickerson, Knighton, Wolfe
Trevethan, Woody, Phillips

The LBs are much better protected verse the run than the more traditional 4-3 look above. Plus there's our Von like player in Phillips pass rushing, creating more flexibility.
Im not sure about Jackson. I liked what has done in preseason so far, and hes certainly a beast, but Im not that excited with him as an edge rusher. He reminds of Ayers. His quickness is better, but its still pretty average imo. He can set the edge though, so hopefully he can keep improving his pass rushing. Ayers isnt much of a threat, so Jackson has a decent chance.

On base d, Irving is going to take substantial snaps at either MLB or Sam. I think hes better at Sam with his quickness and ability to blitz. But with the way injuries have come, hes the best fit at MLB. I think hes the best run stuffer thats healthy at lber, and I think Del Rio prefers big, run stuffing lbers in the middle of his defense on base downs. Irving has been taking snaps the entire time at TC, hes going to get his shot on base d. Travathan has to take the snaps from Irving at this point, not the other way around imo. The Broncos are just shuffling the line right now to see what everyone can do. I dont take the recent changes seriously.

I just cant get on board with Woodyard at MLB. It makes no sense to me. The MLB in Del Rios scheme is only responsible for the inside gaps (for the most part) and isnt responsible for much else. He wants a big physical guy who can stuff the run. Thats what hes done his whole career.

It will be interesting to see if the Broncos change into a more traditional 43. Its tough to say. Can the Broncos rush the edge from the end spot? Maybe Phillips sticks his hand in the dirt and goes after it? Its a possibility. Other than him though, I dont have much hope. Wolfe isnt a good enough edge rusher. Hes better on the inside of a tradtional 43 defense imo. Ayers is nothing special either. I just dont like the idea vs 43 Under.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #1418
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
med called it
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #1419
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
yeah, I agree w/ all that. I think Woodyard has the *potential* to be as good as Angerer given his skillsset, but we won't know until they begin playing. I think Denver would have done well to at least inquire about the availability of Angerer this offseason.
I still would prefer Trevethan at MLB, Woodyard is so good at what he does..given both their skill sets.

Really would like Angerer as a Bronco.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #1420
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Nobody is b****in'. Losing Dumervil and seeing the possibility of having a full year without Von Miller puts getting a pass rusher, DE or OLB in the draft imperative. As I said before, contracts coming up and possible let go's and retirements make upgrading the defense that important. Besides some OL, I like where our offense is at.

Woodyard is in a contract year and is playing out of position. Irving seems destined to back-up status unless he plays over Phillips or the recent signing. I do not want a carousel at ILB. I want the real deal there so we do not have to continue our shuffle. Could grab Quanterus' teammate this year or a half dozen others. Getting a MIKE in the draft would have been ideal. Wonder how Reddick is doing.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #1421
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
comparing Trevor Pryce to Sylvester Williams.

Trevor Pryce had 13 sacks in the NFL at the age of 24. How many do you think Sly will have?

Sly needs to flash in the worst way.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #1422
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:

30 tackles 2 sacks?

lulz

uuugghhhh... Oz seems to be the real deal. Sly is going to be the best DT we have by the end of the season. Where is all this Bannan love coming from?? I don't want to try to understand both of the 5's!
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #1423
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Any injury updates?
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #1424
Bacchus

I remember watch Trevethan in a preseason game and he just made tackle after tackle. The guy is a tackling machine. If Denver can keep the guards off of him I think he will do just fine.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #1425
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
comparing Trevor Pryce to Sylvester Williams.

Trevor Pryce had 13 sacks in the NFL at the age of 24. How many do you think Sly will have?

Sly needs to flash in the worst way.
Dude, Trevor Pryce played in 8 gaems as a rookie. Yet another example of a top DT that needed time.