The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #1101
SlyEli

The line was opening up big cutback lanes a few times on the zone stretch play, but Hillman and lance ball missed the openings. There's no reason Hillman can't be as successful as Steve slaton was under gibbs in houston
Old 08-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #1102
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I don't think Alex Gibbs has as big a roll in coaching the line as many of you seem to think. My understanding is he is a part time adviser on the ZBS which is to be used occasionally.

Dave Magazu is the coach and driving force of the O line
That's why the running game still sucks.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #1103
SlyEli

Nah. The running game sucks because the rbs haven't figured out the zone scheme yet. That, and clady and lilja aren't starting yet
Old 08-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #1104
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Welker not practicing per Klis
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #1105
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie back at practice today for #broncos. Wes Welker sitting out (looks like rest day only for Wes)

Jon Heath ‏@JHSMDEN #Broncos safety Duke Ihenacho is out there with the first-team defense after a strong showing on Thursday.

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 4m
Ryan Clady, in shells, getting his first work in team drills. Wolfe got around him on first snap

Last edited by Gutless Drunk; 08-10-2013 at 09:10 AM..
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #1106
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie back at practice today for #broncos. Wes Welker sitting out (looks like rest day only for Wes)

Jon Heath ‏@JHSMDEN #Broncos safety Duke Ihenacho is out there with the first-team defense after a strong showing on Thursday.

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 4m
Ryan Clady, in shells, getting his first work in team drills. Wolfe got around him on first snap
Great news!
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #1107
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Kirk Michael Davis ‏@Kaptain_Kirk62 51s
Peyton apologizes to the fans for F-bombs earlier in practice
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #1108
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Dove Valley was splashed in sunshine on Saturday morning as the Broncos took the field for their first practice since the team’s 10-6 win at San Francisco in the preseason opener.
The morning session saw key plays from a slew of defensive backs, as well as cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie’s return to practicing in pads and tackle Ryan Clady taking reps at left tackle in team drills.
Here are some of the highlights from Saturday morning.
ROLL CALL
Tackle Ryan Clady was limited at practice, and Head Coach John Fox said the tackle is "easing back into it."
Wide receiver Wes Welker was not in practice today, which Fox noted was a “club decision” in his post-practice press conference.
Rodgers-Cromartie was back on the field in pads for the first time since his ankle injury on July 31.
“He did a little bit more -- he was in pads,” Fox said. “We’re easing him back into it.”
Clady’s reps at left tackle during team drills marked the first time that he’s participated in team drills this training camp.
“We’re obviously taking that slow,” Fox said. “(We’re) starting to build a base for us to work on.”
Playmakers
Broncos defensive backs had a knack for getting their hands on the ball on Saturday. During team drills, safety Rahim Moore intercepted Peyton Manning, safety Mike Adams jumped up and picked off Brock Osweiler on a deep route, and cornerback Kayvon Webster made a leaping interception of Zac Dysert and took off up the sideline for a long return.
In the absence of Welker, wide receiver Andre Caldwell had a nice connection with Manning on Saturday. Caldwell had several catches on the morning including a leaping catch on the sideline.
In team drills, Osweiler lofted a ball to tight end Virgil Green, who hauled in the pass over Quentin Jammer in the corner of the end zone.
Wide receiver Gerell Robinson also made a leaping catch from Osweiler in the corner of the end zone.
On back-to-back plays in team drills, linebacker Wesley Woodyard stuffed running back Montee Ball in the backfield on a screen pass from Manning, then stepped in front of Caldwell and swatted away a Manning pass.
After leading the Broncos with 69 rushing yards against the 49ers, running back C.J. Anderson broke off a pair of nice runs in team drills. On one particular run, Anderson took a handoff up the middle, then made a nifty cut and found daylight, bouncing to the outside and tearing up the sideline for a big gain.
Wide receiver Kemonte’ Bateman outmuscled cornerback Nigel Malone for the ball on a slant from Dysert, as Bateman pulled the ball out of Malone’s hands and made the catch.
Bateman also made a nice play in special teams drills, diving into the end zone in punt coverage and swatting the ball with one hand, downing the punt inside the 2. Assistant Special Teams Coach Derius Swinton gave Bateman a high five for the play.
Quick Hits
Several fans had an up close and personal encounter with Robinson after he ended up in the crowd while trying to catch an Osweiler pass in the corner of the end zone. Robinson was able to dodge the fans in his path, then patted several kids on the head who were in the area.
The defensive units once again practiced diving on loose balls and recovering fumbles early in the session. As Webster said after the defense notched four takeaways in San Francisco, the repetition seems to be paying off.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #1109
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...8-30d459082cc3

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Saturday's practice was shorter than most. But the first session after the preseason opener gave the Broncos a chance to focus on issues that were bugaboos during their 10-6 win over the 49ers.

Protection of the quarterbacks was one. The 49ers sacked Denver quarterbacks four times and kept them under constant pressure, even when it didn't result in a sack. Aldon Smith's bull-rush through Chris Clark on the Broncos' first offensive series was a harbinger of what was to come for Brock Osweiler.

"We had some protection issues we had to clean up from the first half to the second half," Offensive Coordinator Adam Gase said, and there was no reason to disagree with his assessment. The first-team offensive line conceded contact on the quarterback twice -- Smith on Manning, and Parys Haralson on Osweiler -- and the problems continued from there. But both quarterbacks emerged unscathed, and on Saturday, the offensive line fared better at maintaining the integrity of the pocket.

But if the quarterbacks are under siege again, Gase believes he might call plays differently.

"There were a couple of playcalls where we were holding onto the ball. I think I was trying to open it up a little bit, but we'll see," he said. "I've got to be smarter, maybe get to some quick-gain, some max protections, quicker to help those guys out."

And now, five thoughts from practice:

1. For now, it's Stewart Bradley in the center of the defense. He got the start at middle linebacker Thursday and continued working there with the first team on Saturday.

"I think he is feeling more and more comfortable," said Defensive Coordinator Jack Del Rio. "He is a guy that is very active. He hunts the ball, he finishes on the ball and we like that part."

On Thursday, Bradley's first series -- the only one with the entire first unit -- was a mixed bag. On one 49ers carry, he was pushed back and out of play by San Francisco center Daniel Kilgore and right guard Alex Boone. But he also diagnosed an inside handoff to fullback Jason Schepler, blowing up the play quickly. He conceded two receptions to Anquan Boldin, but limited the yardage after the catch to just two yards total and was in tight coverage on both plays.

"I felt like it was a good building block," Bradley said.

2. When Ryan Clady lined up at left tackle during team periods Saturday, he was the only player among the 22 in uniform for the snap who was wearing sweat pants rather than the full practice uniform. His work was limited to no more than two snaps at a time, but he recovered nicely after being beaten to the edge by Derek Wolfe on his first play early in practice.

Nevertheless, that work was promising, and offered an indication that Clady will be ready by Week 1, and won't need to endure the compressed preparation time prior to the 2010 season, when he didn't practice until the final week of the preseason and was rushed to play less than two weeks later in the regular-season opener against Jacksonville.

"We had to ease him in to that first game (in 2010), because he couldn't do anything until really close to the game," Gase recalled.

3. One positive sign for the defense was a continuation of its ball-hawking play from Thursday. Rahim Moore picked off a pass from Manning to Eric Decker at the goal line, and rookie Kayvon Webster intercepted Zac Dysert later in practice.

For Webster, the work is crucial. Injuries to Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Tony Carter forced Webster and second-year cornerback Omar Bolden up the depth chart Saturday, and their workload was made heavier by the occasional breathers given to veteran Champ Bailey. But Bolden also needs the work, and a solid game Thursday carried over to Saturday's practice, in which he played with more confidence and assertiveness than he showed earlier in training camp.

"The younger guys get a lot longer look and a lot more reps. Omar and Kayvon are taking advantage of that," Del Rio said. "They are both bigger guys that have speed and the more experience we can get them with getting comfortable with how we do things and what we need out of them, the better. Each of them have had good moments and then moments where they have to be better, but, definitely good experience for them."

4. A brief moment about the two newest quarterbacks on the roster: Ryan Katz has not seen any repetitions in team or seven-on-seven work to this point during training camp, and Zac Dysert threw fewer passes in team periods than he had in recent days. It's not that the Broncos have anything against their two rookie quarterbacks, but between games and practices, they need to get more work for Osweiler.

"Right now our plan is we need to keep bringing Brock along," said Gase. "And then obviously Zac is the third (quarterback) right now. If we can get Ryan in there we will, but nothing is guaranteed. Zac, we'd like to see him work a little more.

"But we can't take anything away from Brock because he needs as many reps as possible."

5. With Wes Welker out of practice per what Head Coach John Fox said was a "club decision," Andre Caldwell got another look as one of the three primary wide receivers with the first team. But if Caldwell is to earn a roster spot, he'll have to avoid the dropped passes that plagued him last preseason. Caldwell caught the only pass thrown in his direction Thursday at San Francisco, but failed to grab two catchable passes from Manning early in practice. He recovered with a leaping grab near the left sideline from Manning later in the session.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #1110
Cackalacky B
Just Drafted

NC's biggest Bronco fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

You know, Nate Irving could find a cure for cancer on one play and a solution for world peace in the Middle East on the next and the coaching staff would still be like "well you know that Stewart Bradley sure knows how to run a guy down after he gets beat."

Seriously I don't get it. Last year it was was Mays and Brooking, and now Bradley. Every time he comes in to a game situation he plays well. He was making reads, diagnosing plays, disrupting ****, and quick to the ball the entire time he was in. Am I missing something?
Cackalacky B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #1111
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cackalacky B View Post
You know, Nate Irving could find a cure for cancer on one play and a solution for world peace in the Middle East on the next and the coaching staff would still be like "well you know that Stewart Bradley sure knows how to run a guy down after he gets beat."

Seriously I don't get it. Last year it was was Mays and Brooking, and now Bradley. Every time he comes in to a game situation he plays well. He was making reads, diagnosing plays, disrupting ****, and quick to the ball the entire time he was in. Am I missing something?
It's a black white thing mang...
Old 08-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #1112
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:

Del Rio on Bradley - "I think he is feeling more and more comfortable," said Defensive Coordinator Jack Del Rio. "He is a guy that is very active. He hunts the ball, he finishes on the ball and we like that part."

Irving hasn't really done anything of note in camp. While he made a couple plays in the 1st preseason game, they were from the backup SOLB position, and not enough to unseat Bradley. I think one of the main problems with Irving is that he's just too quiet. Looks like they may have made their decision to go with Bradley.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #1113
Johnykbr

Quote:

+1. I was thoroughly impressed by him out there.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #1114
bap454
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
+1. I was thoroughly impressed by him out there.
It must have been the Nate Webster hair that impaired your judgement.
bap454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #1115
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

"There were a couple of playcalls where we were holding onto the ball. I think I was trying to open it up a little bit, but we'll see," he said. "I've got to be smarter, maybe get to some quick-gain, some max protections, quicker to help those guys out."

Mike McCoy read this and was overheard saying "you can actually do that? Holy ****!"
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #1116
uplink
Ring of Famer

Probably Del Rio's words on Bradley indicate the traits that have him winning the job. He is more active (aggressive), and is finishing off plays better than Irving.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #1117
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Irving missed 10 questions on the quarterback IQ test.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #1118
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If Bradley is starting over Irving we are in trouble. Bradley is a slightly smarter Mays. Plays the run well bt is going to get raped in the passing game.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #1119
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
With Wes Welker out of practice per what Head Coach John Fox said was a "club decision,"

My guess is Fox and Co. did not like the comments made about Bill Belichick and Wes had to sit in the corner for the day.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #1120
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
My guess is Fox and Co. did not like the comments made about Bill Belichick and Wes had to sit in the corner for the day.
My guess is he was given a rest day.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #1121
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I thought both looked good against SF. Obviously Stewart gave up the completions to Boldin but he had great coverage on them. I was nervous about LB position but feeling better. The defense as a whole looked big, fast and strong front to back. SF usually is the most physical team when they have stepped on the field under Harbaugh but I don't think that was the case on Thursday.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #1122
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
If Bradley is starting over Irving we are in trouble. Bradley is a slightly smarter Mays. Plays the run well bt is going to get raped in the passing game.

The assumption here is that Irving would be better in coverage. How do you know that?

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #1123
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
I agree with you, Irving is a tfl beast.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:53 AM   #1124
i4jelway7
Ring of Famer

loves haters & trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
My guess is he was given a rest day.
I think they just wanted to give Bubba some reps before they cut him
i4jelway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #1125
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

The Sheriff now has a pistol.

The Broncos revealed a new-old offensive configuration when Peyton Manning lined up in "The Pistol" on Thursday night. The Broncos briefly showed their Smith & Wesson — Manning & Hillman — to the San Francisco 49ers and the NFL world.

On three plays, of his short seven-play stint, Manning, instead of being under center or in the shotgun (7 yards back), was stationed 5 yards behind the line — and 3 yards in front of running back Ronnie Hillman.

The alignment was named "The Pistol" by Chris Ault when he popularized — revolutionized? — the novel amalgam of offensive schemes as the University of Nevada coach.

This year Ault was hired by new Kansas City Chiefs coach Andy Reid to serve as an offensive consultant. Quarterback Alex Smith is being trained in The Pistol concepts, and, so it seems, is Manning.

A young man out of Louisiana had the moniker "Pistol Pete Maravich." The Broncos' quarterback has been nicknamed "The Sheriff" by NFL analyst Jon Gruden because Peyton "goes to other teams' stadiums and lays down the law." Will he also be called "Pistol Peyton Manning" this season?

(When Manning, born in New Orleans in 1976, was just a young boy, his father Archie was a Pro Bowl quarterback for the New Orleans Saints and Maravich was an all-star guard for the New Orleans Jazz.)

Adam Gase, promoted from quarterbacks coach to offensive coordinator, promised the Broncos will "put the pedal to the metal." Manning's "hurry, hurry" offense has been pushed noticeably into high gear.

Add The Pistol to Peyton's repertoire.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_2...-secret-weapon