The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #401
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Hester is a player you can cut tell him to keep in shape and pick him up if needed. Nobody is going to sign him. Any of the other guys would be gone immediately.
Exactly! I feel this way about Dan Koppen as well. Let's see what other options we have before giving him the first team reps.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #402
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
If Kuper is still gimpy, and Tamme only catches 25 balls, it's tough to imagine them contributing significantly to wins this year. Why not put that $14.2M in cap space (2013/2014) to some impact players who WILL contribute to wins in 2014 and beyond? The Broncos are struggling with this very question right now.
The only reason cutting Tamme now instead of 2014 makes sense is if you are concerned about his ~$0.8M in dead money that would be on the books next season - cut him now, and it's ~$1.6M against the 2013 cap.

Same story for Kuper. Both of these guys have fairly big salaries with smaller pro-rated signing bonuses, so accelerating dead money to 2013 vs 2014 doesn't make a huge difference, IMO.

When this team is looking to make a super bowl push, cutting quality depth for (minimal) future cap savings makes no sense.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #403
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
I understand your thinking long term and in particularly having every penny for next year..

But let's think about this from a skill standpoint. What can Hester offer that Green cannot at the FB position? My answer is experience and the ability to run if given a handoff.

What can Green offer as a FB that Hester cannot? Better pass catching, better pass protection, and better run blocking.
It's a decent idea (in theory), but Virgil Green has never been an FB, and isn't currently practicing at the position. Not only that, but Fox has never used TE's as FB's (to my knowledge). Simply put...it ain't happening. I know you don't like using a roster spot on a FB (because Indy never did), but honestly who else would you rather spend that roster spot on? There's nobody I can think of. By all accounts Hester (at FB) has been blowing huge holes for Pittman in camp.

Quote:
Who was the Colts FBs during the Manning era? I'll give you a hint if you have to research, don't look for the acronym FB on the roster!
If I would hazard a guess, I would say Ben Utecht (during their 1st Superbowl year), if I remember right from watching the video over and over again last offseason.

Problem is, Broncos have pretty much found that they CAN"T effectively move the chains consistently late in games out of a single-back set. Moore had the same problem in Indy. That's why they brought in Alex Gibbs. They are implementing his system. Why? Because he guarantees yardage (and 1st downs) if you give him a FB.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #404
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
I understand your thinking long term and in particularly having every penny for next year..

But let's think about this from a skill standpoint. What can Hester offer that Green cannot at the FB position? My answer is experience and the ability to run if given a handoff.

What can Green offer as a FB that Hester cannot? Better pass catching, better pass protection, and better run blocking.

Who was the Colts FBs during the Manning era? I'll give you a hint if you have to research, don't look for the acronym FB on the roster!
Hint TE

Edit* Bobby Bob Sanders? As in Bobby Bob "I can't stay healthy" Sanders?
Who was the Panthers FB during the Fox era?

Hint FB
Old 07-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #405
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Darren McKee ‏@dmac1043 51s Koppen goes down on running drill has to be carted off
Old 07-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #406
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

No way they cut Jacob Tamme. Despite looking like Black Jesus Christ in shorts on PEDS, Julius Thomas has an extensive injury history and one career catch for 5 yards. Virgil Green has 11 career catches and has both an injury history and a 4 game league suspension under his belt.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #407
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
Who was the Panthers FB during the Fox era?

Hint FB
Hoover for what seemed like forever, but what does that have to do with anything..?
Old 07-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #408
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Hoover for what seemed like forever, but what does that have to do with anything..?
Manning isn't the only man with a seat at the offensive staff meetings.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #409
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Darren McKee ‏@dmac1043 16m Sly Williams just tossed Beadles like yesterday's newspaper. Impressive moment

Hope Man Ram is a quick understudy (at Center).
Old 07-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #410
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Darren McKee ‏@dmac1043 51s Koppen goes down on running drill has to be carted off
Rut rote.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #411
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Time for Blake to earn his ****ing money.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #412
NorCalBronco7

No chance in hell Tamme or Dressen go anywhere. They both are good players and compliment each other perfectly.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #413
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 6m Dan Koppen is being driven off field on a cart. Looks like left lower leg. Injured during 9 on 7. #Broncos

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 5m Koppen able to put some pressure on leg/foot as he walked a few steps without help into the locker room.

Remember Koppen fractured the same ankle and was cut from NE last year..

Darren McKee ‏@dmac1043 33s Wolfe hobbles off during goal line. Trevathan w an impressive pick in end one. Goal line baby

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 13m Peyton Manning sharp in first red zone session of camp. 3-for-4 w/ completions to Decker, J. Thomas and a TD to Welker.

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 4m Highlight of day so far: Danny Trevathan out jumps Montee Ball for an end zone INT. Trevathan Moss'd him.

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 5m Derek Wolfe trying to walk off a tweaked ankle. Talked with head trainer for a bit, now working it out on his own.

Last edited by pricejj; 07-28-2013 at 12:34 PM..
Old 07-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #414
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
But who? Rat birds and Patty are both on our schedule.

I would trade him to the Ravens. They are going to find someone to play that will be as good as Tamme. Just get the draft pick and call it a day. I don't agree with the don't trade a player to out competition especially when it is an average player. Tamme is not going to keep us out f the super bowl. If he were that good we'd keep him. He's not Shannon Sharpe (thanks Mike)
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #415
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
The only thing that OJ can be counted on is camp fluff articles and to get hurt. You would be willing to gamble on him and cut Tamme at the start of a SB run? It's not like Denver is in rebuild mode. It is a win now at all costs and you keep Tamme. Hopefully the fluff articles are true about OJ and Tamme never plays but you keep him for insurance.

On a side note can we change the Madise outstanding training camp award to the OJ award?
Obviously the FO would have to deem OJ trustworthy before the traded Tamme and you can bet they will not be making that decision off of fluff articles
Old 07-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #416
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 5m Fox said Koppen is having his knee evaluated. #Broncos
Old 07-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #417
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Obviously the FO would have to deem OJ trustworthy before the traded Tamme and you can bet they will not be making that decision off of fluff articles
He can be the most dominating TE in the game but that doesn't matter when you are sitting on the sideline hurt. Some guys can't stay healthy.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #418
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
He can be the most dominating TE in the game but that doesn't matter when you are sitting on the sideline hurt. Some guys can't stay healthy.
I am sure that will be factored into their evaluation. His health going forward is just not something we as fans are equipped to make a call on.

Last edited by baja; 07-28-2013 at 01:13 PM..
Old 07-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #419
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 1h
Jeremiah Johnson and Julius Thomas continue to make plays out here.
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #420
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I am sure that will be factored into their evaluation. His health going forward is just not something we as fans are equipped to make a call on.
I can make an assumption on it though. I assumed Moreno would go down at some point and sure enough he went down. Injury prone players are just that. I'm hoping OJ can get on the field and stay healthy all year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he went down in preseason or first couple of games. Having another option in his place is smart IMO
Old 07-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #421
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 1h
Jeremiah Johnson and Julius Thomas continue to make plays out here.
Doesn't JJ always make plays during TC/preseason? Then Lance Ball takes his spot in the past?
Old 07-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #422
Rother8
Seasoned Veteran

Mhmugggggeeeee

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
Why is everyone all of over JT's nuts again? Unless he can block, the kid isn't going to play.
Tamme doesnt block much as it is. Plus with Welker, there is going to be less emphasis of a blocking tight end due to fewer defenders in the box geared against the run. I'm not in the cut tame camp but I do want to see OJ finally.
Rother8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #423
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I can make an assumption on it though. I assumed Moreno would go down at some point and sure enough he went down. Injury prone players are just that. I'm hoping OJ can get on the field and stay healthy all year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he went down in preseason or first couple of games. Having another option in his place is smart IMO
Well of course you are entitled to your opinion. My take is this is the best FO the Broncos have had in recent memory IMO and I an inclined to have trust in them in these matters.

I say if the FO thinks OJ is ready and able trade the extra TE and keep an extra WR. And that's my opinion.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #424
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I haven't been to camp yet this year, but I have been the past couple of years.

Julius Thomas always shines in TC. Really one of the best practice receivers on the team. I hope he can live up to potential on the field. He gets a bit of a pass because of injury, but it's time for him to step up.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #425
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Cecil Lammey had a picture of Fred scalding Tom Nailen in his article

http://www.denverssportsstation.com/...g&post_id=7681

For some reason it felt more like football season after hearing about a Fred story at training camp.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote