The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #801
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,967

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Agree, but could possibly cost us home field advantage in the playoffs.
I doubt that.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #802
DENVERDUI55
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Agree, but could possibly cost us home field advantage in the playoffs.
Peyton Manning has carried awful defenses to home field before. I don't see any reason why he couldn't carry this team for 4 games with only 2 of them being what I would consider competitive teams. Denver's defense right now is better than any he had in Indy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #803
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Agree, but could possibly cost us home field advantage in the playoffs.
Everyone knows the late surge and wildcard berth is the real path to the Lombardi nowadays anyway.

And yes, that's 2012 bitterness still talking.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #804
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,374

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Our offense is going to be devastating. So, we can beat people 40 - 30 for a few games, I can deal with that.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #805
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I don't really see it being 4 games. Right now none of us would even be talking about this if it wasn't for a "rat" as Manning put it. It's possible that we would've never known about this if the appeal is successful. If anything it's 1 or 2 games at the most. If there's more to the story it's 4 games.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #806
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Peyton Manning has carried awful defenses to home field before. I don't see any reason why he couldn't carry this team for 4 games with only 2 of them being what I would consider competitive teams. Denver's defense right now is better than any he had in Indy.
I hear ya, and I'm not saying the sky is falling. This team is still going to be very good without Von. What I am saying is that Von's absence could possibly (not probably) be the difference between a win and a loss in 1 out of 4 games, particularly on a team which is also adjusting to life after Doom. And 1 loss could be the decider for home field advantage.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #807
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,430

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I hear ya, and I'm not saying the sky is falling. This team is still going to be very good without Von. What I am saying is that Von's absence could possibly (not probably) be the difference between a win and a loss in 1 out of 4 games, particularly on a team which is also adjusting to life after Doom. And 1 loss could be the decider for home field advantage.
Not for nothing, but if we don't get home field, who really cares.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #808
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
...who really cares.
You mean other than perhaps every coach in the league, and fans who want to attend home playoff games? Just because the Broncos lost at home last year doesn't mean home field isn't huge in the NFL.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #809
baja
Elite Sissie
 
baja's Avatar
 
Because

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,682

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
You mean other than perhaps every coach in the league, and fans who want to attend home playoff games? Just because the Broncos lost at home last year doesn't mean home field isn't huge in the NFL.
Not if home if freezing and your QB falters in cold weather.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #810
Bronco X
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
You mean other than perhaps every coach in the league, and fans who want to attend home playoff games? Just because the Broncos lost at home last year doesn't mean home field isn't huge in the NFL.
Who cares about fans who want to attend home playoff games? I mean it's nice and all, but I'm not shedding tears for fans who have to watch a playoff game for free on TV. As for coaches, obviously teams would prefer home field in the playoffs. But it's becoming more and more evident that it's overrated. We're seeing more and more examples where teams travelling on the road in the playoffs rise to the occasion and carry that momentum to a Super Bowl title. It was quite unusual when the Broncos did it in 97/98. It's almost becoming the norm now (last three Super Bowl winners won 10 (or fewer!) games in the regular season and played at least two road games en route to a Super Bowl title.

Again that's not to say home field is insignificant. But there are far more significant factors at play.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #811
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post
Who cares about fans who want to attend home playoff games? I mean it's nice and all, but I'm not shedding tears for fans who have to watch a playoff game for free on TV. As for coaches, obviously teams would prefer home field in the playoffs. But it's becoming more and more evident that it's overrated. We're seeing more and more examples where teams travelling on the road in the playoffs rise to the occasion and carry that momentum to a Super Bowl title. It was quite unusual when the Broncos did it in 97/98. It's almost becoming the norm now (last three Super Bowl winners won 10 (or fewer!) games in the regular season and played at least two road games en route to a Super Bowl title.

Again that's not to say home field is insignificant. But there are far more significant factors at play.
I agree with everything you say here, but the bolded part pretty much re-makes my point. Let's hope we go 4-0 without Von (assuming he misses 4 games) and it's an entirely moot point.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #812
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,967

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post
Who cares about fans who want to attend home playoff games? I mean it's nice and all, but I'm not shedding tears for fans who have to watch a playoff game for free on TV. As for coaches, obviously teams would prefer home field in the playoffs. But it's becoming more and more evident that it's overrated. We're seeing more and more examples where teams travelling on the road in the playoffs rise to the occasion and carry that momentum to a Super Bowl title. It was quite unusual when the Broncos did it in 97/98. It's almost becoming the norm now (last three Super Bowl winners won 10 (or fewer!) games in the regular season and played at least two road games en route to a Super Bowl title.

Again that's not to say home field is insignificant. But there are far more significant factors at play.
I'm more concerned with the 1st round bye, personally.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #813
Bronco X
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I agree with everything you say here, but the bolded part pretty much re-makes my point. Let's hope we go 4-0 without Von (assuming he misses 4 games) and it's an entirely moot point.
Hopefully, but if they do lose a couple of the first four (and it could be attributed to defensive breakdowns Von could have prevented), it's not the end of the world. The team has to pull through it.

As an aside, (new topic) any idea where this USO tour rumor comes from? There's some speculation on a thread in Mile High Report... not sure it all stems from that. I admit I was hoping there was something substantial on that end.

It doesn't seem as unlikely as some are making it out to be that this suspension won't hold or be reduced. We're not even supposed to know about it yet. If the league had already announced it, odds would be slim there would be any change. Nobody on the outside has any idea how close in their review of the matter the NFL was to making it final.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #814
Bronco X
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I'm more concerned with the 1st round bye, personally.
The rest and one less week of injury potential is a worthwhile goal, but on the other hand the focus and perseverance teams playing through the Wild Card round must achieve has been carrying over into later rounds in recent years. The Broncos are a young team. Granted they are old at key positions, but there was once a time when the Broncos led by a 37 year old QB took the Wild Card road to a title. The year after a devastating home playoff loss after a 13-3 #1 seed season. I wouldn't be too concerned if things unfolded similarly this go around.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #815
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,967

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post
The rest and one less week of injury potential is a worthwhile goal, but on the other hand the focus and perseverance teams playing through the Wild Card round must achieve has been carrying over into later rounds in recent years. The Broncos are a young team. Granted they are old at key positions, but there was once a time when the Broncos led by a 37 year old QB took the Wild Card road to a title. The year after a devastating home playoff loss after a 13-3 #1 seed season. I wouldn't be too concerned if things unfolded similarly this go around.
Yeah, no thanks. Health trumps momentum.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #816
Bronco X
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Yeah, no thanks. Health trumps momentum.
The wild card week and health aren't mutually exclusive. There's no more injury risk than any other week in the regular season.

There's a reason teams have been cautious about resting players too much in the regular season when their seed is locked up.

Really all that matters is the Broncos come to play when it counts, bye week, home field or not.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #817
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,967

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post
The wild card week and health aren't mutually exclusive. There's no more injury risk than any other week in the regular season.

There's a reason teams have been cautious about resting players too much in the regular season when their seed is locked up.

Really all that matters is the Broncos come to play when it counts, bye week, home field or not.
Ummm the risk of injury during a game is a lot greater than the team on the bye. And a week of rest has a massive impact on recovery for exhausted players.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #818
baja
Elite Sissie
 
baja's Avatar
 
Because

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,682

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post
The wild card week and health aren't mutually exclusive. There's no more injury risk than any other week in the regular season.

There's a reason teams have been cautious about resting players too much in the regular season when their seed is locked up.

Really all that matters is the Broncos come to play when it counts, bye week, home field or not.
That must be an interesting device.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #819
Bronco X
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Ummm the risk of injury during a game is a lot greater than the team on the bye. And a week of rest has a massive impact on recovery for exhausted players.
I'm not denying that. It's just that there are more examples of teams persevering through lack of rest to glory than there are examples of teams fizzling out because they didn't get that week's rest. The latter is of course subjective and interpretive but I'm not thinking of any examples off the top of my head. You have to go back three years just to find an example of a team that may have benefited from the bye week.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #820
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,530

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post
I'm not denying that. It's just that there are more examples of teams persevering through lack of rest to glory than there are examples of teams fizzling out because they didn't get that week's rest. The latter is of course subjective and interpretive but I'm not thinking of any examples off the top of my head. You have to go back three years just to find an example of a team that may have benefited from the bye week.
I don't know what metric you would use to gauge that.

But I'm pretty sure the team with the bye usually wins.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #821
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
No.
Really? Go smoke a joint in front of the FBI building in Denver.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #822
baja
Elite Sissie
 
baja's Avatar
 
Because

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,682

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Really? Go smoke a joint in front of the FBI building in Denver.

You would have to share.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #823
Bronco X
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
I don't know what metric you would use to gauge that.

But I'm pretty sure the team with the bye usually wins.
Overall, sure. There is a recent trend otherwise. 6 of the last 8 Super Bowl winners had no bye.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #824
lolcopter
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Really? Go smoke a joint in front of the FBI building in Denver.

why the hell would I ever be over there, that's damn near aurora.

and lol if you think FBI is going out of their way to prosecute some dude walking by smoking anything. weed is smoked in public all over the damn city and nothing is done. certainly very little against individuals from any federal agents.


fwiw, public consumption is still illegal same as alcohol, I bet nobody drinks in public either! (hint: they do) weed is legal here, nothing worse than a ticket will happen from local authorities (for consumption), as feds won't target individuals in vast majority of circumstances

Last edited by lolcopter; 07-30-2013 at 08:11 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #825
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis
 
Broncobiv's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Not if home is freezing and your QB falters in cold weather.
Sure, because New England, Baltimore, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh are downright balmy in January, right? About our only chance to play a road playoff game in warm weather is to get matched up against an AFC South team. I'd rather take the home playoff game instead of rolling those dice.
Broncobiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:09 AM.


Denver Broncos