The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default Will the NFL Survive the Millennial Generation?

Will the NFL Survive the Millennial Generation?

Millennials (young people 9-30 years old) were reared by their parents in a highly sheltered and protected manner. The generation’s arrival was signaled by “baby on board” bumper stickers and AMBER Alerts, major child protection legislation and “helicopter parents.”

Professional football has been America’s favorite spectator sport since 1972 when baby boomers became the most important TV audience demographic. Steve Sabol, the genius behind NFL Films that helped to popularize the NFL in the 1960s, captured the drama and danger of pro football with his slow motion films of big violent hits backed by stirring music.

Pro football, depicted by Mr. Sabol as a confrontation between good and evil in which there can be only one winner, matched the values of baby boomers a half century ago. But this focus is not as appealing to the Millennial generation with its focus on win-win solutions and an instinct for avoiding confrontation.

Furthermore, out of concern for the future health of their children, many protective mothers and fathers of Millennials are deciding their kids should not play tackle football at all. These attitudes could close the NFL’s pipeline to many talented players within the coming decade. But these concerns also have the potential to change NFL culture for the better.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/...d-kill-the-NFL
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Survive is an interesting term. In it's current form? Probably not. As a watered down version? Yes it's too popular to just go extinct. The NFL today is already different than it was in the 70's. Football didn't even have the forward pass in it's inception. It was a bastardized game of rugby.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

I went to a Kids coach pitch baseball game a few weeks ago. I notice that one of the kids got to bat but didn't play in the field. I asked and was told everyone gets to bat regardless of if they play or not. After the game I asked who won and was told "oh we don't keep score because we don't want the kids to feel bad.

I guess I'm old school, when I played if you weren't good enough, you sat on the bench until you made yourself a better player. If your team was bad you took an ass kicking until the team got better.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I went to a Kids coach pitch baseball game a few weeks ago. I notice that one of the kids got to bat but didn't play in the field. I asked and was told everyone gets to bat regardless of if they play or not. After the game I asked who won and was told "oh we don't keep score because we don't want the kids to feel bad.

I guess I'm old school, when I played if you weren't good enough, you sat on the bench until you made yourself a better player. If your team was bad you took an ass kicking until the team got better.
How old? I agree to a point. But small kids who are just trying to figure out if they like the sport and/or do something active with their friends don't need to be playing competitively. That just my opinion, though.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post

I'm assuming that was for the little kids, like 6-7. I can see why it is done like that at that age group. But as the kids get older then you have to earn your playing time and it becomes real competition.

The kids who did not play in the field but still get to bat, it is so that they can learn how to hit the ball. At that age, if they aren't getting the same amount of at bats, then they'll fall behind and may not be able to catch up.

My son's first year of playing flag football, when he was 5, everybody got to run the ball and they didn't keep score. There really wasn't a need to. I think he did two years of that before they started keeping score. When he was 8 he started playing tackle, and he had to earn his playing time.

Last edited by Jason in LA; 07-19-2013 at 09:18 AM..
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

At a certain age, the score means nothing. I remember going to Tball games where some kid would get lucky and actually get the bat on the ball sending it bouncing out past the infield and you'd see the outfielders looking the other way, or rolling in the grass, or just sitting there chewing on their mitt, and all the parents would have to yell, "Get the ball!" while the kid running the bases had to be directed where to run. Part of the joy was the kids didn't have a clue.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
Agamemnon

Age 9-30? That's a ridiculously broad age group.