The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
Bacchus

Default How Wal-Mart is Remaking Our World

Really good piece!!

Yes, there is the happy-faced "greeter" who welcomes shoppers into every store, and employees (or "associates," as the company grandiosely calls them) gather just before opening each morning for a pep rally, where they are all required to join in the Wal-Mart cheer: "Gimme a W!" shouts the cheerleader; "W!" the dutiful employees respond. "Gimme an A!" And so on.

Behind this manufactured cheerfulness, however, is the fact that the average employee makes only $15,000 a year for full-time work. Most are denied even this poverty income, for they're held to part-time work. While the company brags that 70% of its workers are full-time, at Wal-Mart "full time" is 28 hours a week, meaning they gross less than $11,000 a year.

Health-care benefits? Only if you've been there two years; then the plan hits you with such huge premiums that few can afford it - only 38% of Wal-Marters are covered.

Check out the full article: http://www.hiddenmysteries.org/consp...s/walmart.html
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
B-Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Really good piece!!

Yes, there is the happy-faced "greeter" who welcomes shoppers into every store, and employees (or "associates," as the company grandiosely calls them) gather just before opening each morning for a pep rally, where they are all required to join in the Wal-Mart cheer: "Gimme a W!" shouts the cheerleader; "W!" the dutiful employees respond. "Gimme an A!" And so on.

Behind this manufactured cheerfulness, however, is the fact that the average employee makes only $15,000 a year for full-time work. Most are denied even this poverty income, for they're held to part-time work. While the company brags that 70% of its workers are full-time, at Wal-Mart "full time" is 28 hours a week, meaning they gross less than $11,000 a year.

Health-care benefits? Only if you've been there two years; then the plan hits you with such huge premiums that few can afford it - only 38% of Wal-Marters are covered.

Check out the full article: http://www.hiddenmysteries.org/consp...s/walmart.html
Yet the parking lots, while filthy and littered with garbage, are typically filled if not overrun.

I went into a Walmart once... that was plenty
Old 07-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I would love to see how much of this countries foodstamps and welfare checks are spent at walmart, since they're basically subsidized by the government.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
B-Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
I would love to see how much of this countries foodstamps and welfare checks are spent at walmart, since they're basically subsidized by the government.
I assume mostly all of them?
Old 07-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Really good piece!!

Read this book;

http://www.amazon.com/Wal-Mart-The-H...+of+low+prices
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Really good piece!!

Every retailer in the country, from Target, to Safeway, to Krogers, etc are following the Walmart model. This is probably a major factor to the rise in food stamps need.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Every retailer in the country, from Target, to Safeway, to Krogers, etc are following the Walmart model. This is probably a major factor to the rise in food stamps need.
Yep. Something the conservativesw don't get. The more business squeeze profits out by ****ing over their employees, the more those employees become dependent on public assistance.

It's a great short term strategy for the business, but ultimately leads to ruin for both the company and the employees as once every company starts paying their employees ****, they will quickly find themselves with no customers.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Wasn't that a documentary? I saw a documentary of Wal-Mart. They are so horrible. I live in a small town and literally if you want to by a blender or a toaster Wal-Mart is the only place unless Dollar General happens to have one in stock. I have now started buying all my groceries from H.E.B. but they follow the Wal-Mart model as well.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Yep. Something the conservativesw don't get. The more business squeeze profits out by ****ing over their employees, the more those employees become dependent on public assistance.

It's a great short term strategy for the business, but ultimately leads to ruin for both the company and the employees as once every company starts paying their employees ****, they will quickly find themselves with no customers.
Americans need to come to the same wake up call the Russians did after their banksters took over: Create a black market economy.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
Bacchus

Quote:
Americans need to come to the same wake up call the Russians did after their banksters took over: Create a black market economy.
When Corporations have taken over and every store is like Wal-Mart how do we turn this around?
Old 07-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #11
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
When Corporations have taken over and every store is like Wal-Mart how do we turn this around?
In short, we don't. Until there is a complete paradigm shift away from a purely consumption based mindset, we don't. Nothing is going to change as long as a huge swath of the populace of poor and middle class Americans believe that they are just inconvenienced millionaires in waiting. For the past 30 years, we have bought hook, line, and sinker into the supply-side economics long con. Well the con has almost run its course, the stolen silverware has been loaded up in the van and the ****-house is about to go completely up in flames. Just wait until the student loan and revolving credit debt crisis happens. It'll make 2008 look like a golden era.

Last edited by razorwire77; 07-20-2013 at 12:31 PM..
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
You have to break some eggs to make a fresh omelet.

We are going to need a new omelet.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Say 'what' again, I dare you

Quote:
The Russians had a totally different economy than us. They had price controls on everything leading to shortages, and that made the black market essential to find certain things.
Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #14
Bacchus

I am proud to say I am debt free for the first time since I was in college. All of my credit card bills are paid, My cars are paid for, student loans are paid. I do have my $700 a month house payment and my kids student loan and that is it. So I guess I am not debt free but almost. I stay away from Wal-mart as much as possible but it is not easy in a small town.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #15
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
The Russians had a totally different economy than us. They had price controls on everything leading to shortages, and that made the black market essential to find certain things.
I'm just trying to scare the NSA agents who are monitoring our posts.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #16
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
I am proud to say I am debt free for the first time since I was in college. All of my credit card bills are paid, My cars are paid for, student loans are paid. I do have my $700 a month house payment and my kids student loan and that is it. So I guess I am not debt free but almost. I stay away from Wal-mart as much as possible but it is not easy in a small town.
I am very happy to say I am 100% debt free

House paid for

Ranch paid for

All cars and trucks paid for

Toys paid for

I have my taxes , utilities and services, food and entertainment as outgoing.

I gotta say it must be scary as hell for many people that have a big nut every month with the quality of live and income going in the wrong direction.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #17
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Wasn't that a documentary? I saw a documentary of Wal-Mart. They are so horrible. I live in a small town and literally if you want to by a blender or a toaster Wal-Mart is the only place unless Dollar General happens to have one in stock. I have now started buying all my groceries from H.E.B. but they follow the Wal-Mart model as well.
http://www.filefactory.com/file/b2b05ff/
http://www.filefactory.com/file/b2bbcc3/

yes it is a movie
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:48 AM   #18
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Love them or hate them but you can't ignore the fact they are the third largest employer in the world.

Wal-Mart stock should be one of the corner stones for any dividend growth investors portfolio.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:04 AM   #19
Bacchus

Quote:
I am very happy to say I am 100% debt free

House paid for

Ranch paid for

All cars and trucks paid for

Toys paid for

I have my taxes , utilities and services, food and entertainment as outgoing.

I gotta say it must be scary as hell for many people that have a big nut every month with the quality of live and income going in the wrong direction.
That is awesome, I think more Americans are going to move in this direction. The ones that can anyway.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #20
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Love them or hate them but you can't ignore the fact they are the third largest employer in the world.

Wal-Mart stock should be one of the corner stones for any dividend growth investors portfolio.
Invest in the exploitation of workers and local municipalities tax base? No thanks, I don't have a need for that 30 pieces of silver.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #21
B-Large

Quote:
Also read Cheap

http://www.amazon.com/Cheap-High-Cos...keywords=cheap
Old 07-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #22
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Invest in the exploitation of workers and local municipalities tax base? No thanks, I don't have a need for that 30 pieces of silver.
When the stock rises to the mid to upper 80s and stays there for an extended period of time, the major stock holders will be screaming for a 2 for 1 stock split. When that happens the value of the stock will usually bottom out in a few weeks or months after the split.

If you have any kids, do them a favor and get off your high-horse and buy them some Wal-Mart stock, years down the road they will say thank you. Wal-Mart is taking over the world.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #23
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
When the stock rises to the mid to upper 80s and stays there for an extended period of time, the major stock holders will be screaming for a 2 for 1 stock split. When that happens the value of the stock will usually bottom out in a few weeks or months after the split.

If you have any kids, do them a favor and get off your high-horse and buy them some Wal-Mart stock, years down the road they will say thank you. Wal-Mart is taking over the world.
My investments are doing quite well, thank you.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #24
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:

I think raising my kids to earn their own way through life and not rely on the money they can get from me and my investments will illicit more thanks than any of all that.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility?
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #25
B-Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
I think raising my kids to earn their own way through life and not rely on the money they can get from me and my investments will illicit more thanks than any of all that.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

I agree...

however, if you are changing you Estate Planning, I'd be glad to take that lump sum... I want as little responsibility in my life as possible.