The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #26
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
Nice write up!

This is my only disaggrement. Sorry Elway is the GM. Setting up the team to win the SB is his job. If Fox and Manning don't win a SB is on them. Fox must put the players he has in the right places to have success and Manning must execute that plan.
When I say anything less than at least one Super Bowl win will be viewed as an abject failure by John Elway, I mean that John Elway himself will consider it an abject failure if the team doesn't win a Super Bowl.

John Elway fully expects a Super Bowl win with Peyton Manning at the helm.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #27
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Both articles make good points.

...but the reality is that it's FAR too premature.

He'll be judged by how many Lombardis he adds to the cabinet.

If we get none with Manning and Osweiler ends up a bust, then LaCanfora is ultimately right.

2 years into a front office executives tenure is WAY too early to proclaim success or failure either way, especially without the hardware to show for it.
I dunno, i think the above sounds like a lot of nitpicking to me.

1) I couldn't give a **** about the DUI's. Not even a little. I think the only reason its even being spoken about is 1) 24/7 news coverage and 2) ****ing nothing going on in sports right now.

2) Isn't Russell Wilson 25 years old? It was my impression the Broncos wanted someone younger considering they figure Manning will be around a bit. Plus, every single team in the NFL passed on Wilson, including the team that ultimately drafted him, twice. That's a stupid argument.

3) Drayton Florence? Really?

What's next? The toilet paper at Dove Valley isnt two-ply?
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #28
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
Jason La Conforna is not as impressed -

"
They drafted Brock Osweiler over Russell Wilson. (Yes, a lot of teams passed on Wilson, but the Broncos spent considerable time researching quarterbacks leading up to the 2012 draft).
In related news, Bill Belichick is an idiot because he passed on Tom Brady in the 4th and 5th rounds....
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #29
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I dunno, i think the above sounds like a lot of nitpicking to me.

1) I couldn't give a **** about the DUI's. Not even a little. I think the only reason its even being spoken about is 1) 24/7 news coverage and 2) ****ing nothing going on in sports right now.

2) Isn't Russell Wilson 25 years old? It was my impression the Broncos wanted someone younger considering they figure Manning will be around a bit. Plus, every single team in the NFL passed on Wilson, including the team that ultimately drafted him, twice. That's a stupid argument.

3) Drayton Florence? Really?

What's next? The toilet paper at Dove Valley isnt two-ply?
Yeah! Who cares that an executive was so plowed on rumplemintz he steam rolls a police car with a person in it a hundred feet!

Here's a list of our big $ free agency splashes that we've been able to see on the field thus far:

Ty Warren, Tracy Porter, Drayton Florence, Mike Adams not to mention retaining Joe Mays and his absurd contract yet having a blooper reel time of "trying" to retain Elvis

(in fact, it seems our ONLY current FA success have been Manning and friends: Manning, Tamme, Stokely's return)

Osweiler over an immediate contributor in win-now mode

Currently no notable success past round 2 (albeit too early to evaluate developmental prospects)
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #30
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

I'm going to assume that most of the the hemming and a hawing about Elway is coming from new additions to the Broncos family. For those of you who doubt his greatness I invite you to get in a time machine and revisit the 2010 season. I for one cannot remember feeling any worse about my team since I started following them almost 40 years ago. In less than three seasons we have gone from the cellar to the penthouse all thanks to the Duke. As far as Jason La Conforna is concerned, I doubt he could manage a team franchise mode in Madden let alone one in the NFL.

And to address the Russell Wilson comment somehow doubt a player like that would glean anything from Peyton Manning.

Last edited by Bronco Rob; 07-16-2013 at 09:34 AM..
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #31
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Yeah! Who cares that an executive was so plowed on rumplemintz he steam rolls a police car with a person in it a hundred feet!

Here's a list of our big $ free agency splashes that we've been able to see on the field thus far:

Ty Warren, Tracy Porter, Drayton Florence, Mike Adams not to mention retaining Joe Mays and his absurd contract yet having a blooper reel time of "trying" to retain Elvis

(in fact, it seems our ONLY current FA success have been Manning and friends: Manning, Tamme, Stokely's return)

Currently no notable success past round 2 (albeit too early to evaluate developmental prospects)
I think its a very pessimistic view of what he's done so far. As far as the drunk driving incidents, those guys are grown men, that's their responsbility. If two people got DUIs in my work place, no one would think to blame my boss for that.

Its simple: he designed a team drafting second overall into a super bowl contender, while keeping a managable cap for the foreseeable future. I dont disagree with your points about his swings and misses, but I'm sure every GM has a similar track record with those sorts of signings.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #32
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

I also find it interesting that people go ahead and crown players like Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick and RGIII when the same superlatives we use to describe a much more talented player named Michael Vick. Understand that the league has an agenda promoting its players but get back to me in four years when the majority of these quarterbacks are living off the fumes of past glories.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #33
*WARHORSE*
GNASHING OF TEETH

Let the heads roll.........

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lombardi III

La Confora translated means "The Confused".

He was an Adam Schefter wannabe from the beginning and Rich Eisen hated him in his first year because the only news he brought to the table day in and day out was about the Redskins.

Take a look at the WRs on each of the teams Peyton had to choose from when he was a free agent.

San Fran?

Titans?

Miami?

Versus Decker and Thomas.

As a QB looking in, I would think it was a no brainer.

If Denver could win with Tebowski, what would Peyton do?

Elway delivered, he was the salesman. His pitch worked, and he deserves the credit.

He deserves all criticism too, but for Confused to come out and pick the Heck and Russ situation to paint on him as being his definition, hes a joke.

The team went 13-3.

We have every reason to be comfortable with elway running the show.

As for Russell Wilson, I was a huge proponent to draft him. But he would be sitting right now, and a byword in the league if he were here. And labeling Brock a bust is premature by far.

Confora is a waterhead.
*WARHORSE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #34
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by *WARHORSE* View Post
La Confora translated means "The Confused".

He was an Adam Schefter wannabe from the beginning and Rich Eisen hated him in his first year because the only news he brought to the table day in and day out was about the Redskins.

Take a look at the WRs on each of the teams Peyton had to choose from when he was a free agent.

San Fran?

Titans?

Miami?

Versus Decker and Thomas.

As a QB looking in, I would think it was a no brainer.

If Denver could win with Tebowski, what would Peyton do?

Elway delivered, he was the salesman. His pitch worked, and he deserves the credit.

He deserves all criticism too, but for Confused to come out and pick the Heck and Russ situation to paint on him as being his definition, hes a joke.

The team went 13-3.

We have every reason to be comfortable with elway running the show.

As for Russell Wilson, I was a huge proponent to draft him. But he would be sitting right now, and a byword in the league if he were here. And labeling Brock a bust is premature by far.

Confora is a waterhead.
Is that like saying he has a wet brain?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #35
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
I think its a very pessimistic view of what he's done so far. As far as the drunk driving incidents, those guys are grown men, that's their responsbility. If two people got DUIs in my work place, no one would think to blame my boss for that.

Its simple: he designed a team drafting second overall into a super bowl contender, while keeping a managable cap for the foreseeable future. I dont disagree with your points about his swings and misses, but I'm sure every GM has a similar track record with those sorts of signings.
Why do you call it pessimistic and then move on? You've completely glossed over every single point.

And "those sort of signings"? Those are our most expensive additions...
Old 07-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #36
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

My bad. Your post was so misleading I forgot to even address your "DUIs in my work place" analogy.

First of all, always hilarious when people compare NFL franchises to their job.

Secondly, what if one executive at your work got a DUI, the company did nothing about it and then shortly after another executive plows through a ****ing cop car?

Are you trying to tell me that says nothing about organizational culture?
Old 07-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #37
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Quote:
Why do you call it pessimistic and then move on? You've completely glossed over every single point.

And "those sort of signings"? Those are our most expensive additions...
Please tell us more about what a ****ty job John Elway is doing. Your insight is captivating.
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #38
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
Please tell us more about what a ****ty job John Elway is doing. Your insight is captivating.
I didn't but far be it from me to teach you how to read.

Here's what I said:

Quote:

If we get none with Manning and Osweiler ends up a bust, then LaCanfora is ultimately right.

2 years into a front office executives tenure is WAY too early to proclaim success or failure either way, especially without the hardware to show for it.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #39
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Yeah cherry pick your own comments AS USUAL.
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #40
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
Yeah cherry pick your own comments AS USUAL.
Would you like to attempt to make a substantial post and highlight a portion of a quote of mine that you disagree with?

All you've done is put words in my mouth that are quite literally contradictory to what I actually said and ultimately make an inaccurate conclusion.

Literacy, however, isn't for everyone.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #41
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Would you like to attempt to make a substantial post and highlight a portion of a quote of mine that you disagree with?
I'm your huckleberry.

Quote:

Elway inherited Warren and got him to restructure. Probably should have been cut, but he tried to make due with what he had.

Tracy Porter was on a cheap, one year deal who helped ice the Steelers game in prime time. Worth the gamble.

Mike Adams was sadly an upgrade over the crap we had at safety. Again, super cheap and a veteran. Also, there were literally no other safeties available in free agency. It was an inexpensive upgrade at a critical position.

Joe Mays. This is a head-scratcher and the first criticism outside of Warren (which was actually not handled horribly) that is legit.

Quote:
Oh yeah! "Just" those guys, including one of the greatest QB's in the history of the game. But let's minimize that as much as possible by lumping several starters including the most important position, and best player, into one small blip after listing a bunch of cheap no-names.

Quote:
Are you trolling now? Win now mode means drafting someone who wouldn't see the field?

Quote:
And I expect this year that to change with guys like Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan, Jeremy Beal, Julius Thomas (I know), Virgil Green and Nate Irving. I also think Kavon Webster and Quanterus Smith could possibly see some time toward the end of the season this year.

I honestly think you, SoCal and other Shanafan's are quick to nitpick Elway and company, and at best, reluctant to admit the successes this front office has had because it's comparatively made Shanahan look bad as a GM. They've rebuilt the Broncos in two years while already tying the number of division wins that Shanahan had in his entire tenure here. And this is a front office that inherited Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow at QB.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #42
Agamemnon

Quote:

Pretty much. Though I tend to grade GM's more on their ability to keep a team competitive year in and year out than on championships (too many uncontrollable variables involved there).

Last edited by Agamemnon; 07-16-2013 at 10:28 AM..
Old 07-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #43
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Elway inherited Warren and got him to restructure. Probably should have been cut, but he tried to make due with what he had.
...and stopped reading.

On January 5, 2011, Elway was named executive vice president of football operations of the Denver Broncos

On August 2, 2011, Ty Warren was signed by the Denver Broncos.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #44
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

So this guy is planting its flag on the Ty Warren signing? Last I checked we were perennial favorites to go to the Super Bowl.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #45
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
So this guy is planting its flag on the Ty Warren signing? Last I checked we were perennial favorites to go to the Super Bowl.

Holy ****. Again, my "FLAG" is "PLANTED" on "he'll be measured by Lombardis so its too soon to tell".
Old 07-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #46
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
...and stopped reading.

On January 5, 2011, Elway was named executive vice president of football operations of the Denver Broncos

On August 2, 2011, Ty Warren was signed by the Denver Broncos.
I mis-remembered. He still got him to restructure when he had no reason to agree to it. Like I said, Warren and Mays were bad moves. Doesn't change the fact that Elway has turned this team into a juggernaut in two years with back to back division wins and the first playoff win in half a decade.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #47
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post

I think you mean consensus or add nothing and just say favorites. Perennial means year in/out, and we have not been that for some time.

Last edited by Archer81; 07-16-2013 at 10:20 AM..
Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #48
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I mis-remembered. He still got him to restructure when he had no reason to agree to it. Like I said, Warren and Mays were bad moves. Doesn't change the fact that Elway has turned this team into a juggernaut in two years with back to back division wins and the first playoff win in half a decade.
For sure. But people can't be enthralled in their circle-jerk of positivity and completely ignore the negatives in a VERY mixed bag.

One last time:

Quote:

Old 07-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #49
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
For sure. But people can't be enthralled in their circle-jerk of positivity and completely ignore the negatives in a VERY mixed bag.

One last time:
I don't think anyone is saying there hasn't been any missteps. I had my apprehensions at the beginning. And let's not forget the untimely PR blunders. The weird and contradictory tweets. Mis-pronouncing players' names. Elway didn't glide into this. But I think you have to look at the aggregate of his work and the proof is in the wins.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #50
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
My bad. Your post was so misleading I forgot to even address your "DUIs in my work place" analogy.

First of all, always hilarious when people compare NFL franchises to their job.

Secondly, what if one executive at your work got a DUI, the company did nothing about it and then shortly after another executive plows through a ****ing cop car?

Are you trying to tell me that says nothing about organizational culture?
I find it laughable when people compare economics of the work place to the NFL environment, but as far as DUIs within a front office position, I don't see why that's any different. John Elway isn't their father, and even though this happened to two people, it still remains anecdotal and not some sign of a greater problem.

I guess I just don't see the big deal with this considering it'll have zero impact on the product on the field.