The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #351
Shananahan
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Say what you want, but it was not the obvious thing to do, nor was replacing him the popular thing to do. Elway knew he had one play, get Manning. And he got it done. Don't diminish the decision with your BS hindsight
To be fair, about 25 teams in the league would have signed Manning given the chance.

I think it was pretty obvious.
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:09 AM   #352
Shananahan
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Chief fans after the draft "We got some good players! They're going to put us over the top. We don't need Bowe and Hali. They were never any good and now we have several starters. We know this just because we do. The Broncos suck. Once Manning is gone they'll be lucky to win two games. There isn't a single player on their roster who is better than a Chiefs player except for Manning."
Don't forget the whole 'We can finally get rid of Brandon Flowers!' celebration.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:12 AM   #353
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
To be fair, about 25 teams in the league would have signed Manning given the chance.

Who was the very 1st team that immediately offered a contract moments after Peyton became a FA?
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:21 AM   #354
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:

The main thing is Elway is smart enough to find a franchise QB. KC has never had one in the history of the franchise. Elway knows what he is doing while KC just fires GM and HC'S every few years to start the process of hope up again.

Last edited by DBroncos4life; 05-16-2014 at 10:43 AM..
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #355
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

I disagree it was obvious. I mean, obviously you'd rather have PM than Tebow, but TT was a guy that energized a fan base, probably made the team a lot of money, and brought them their first playoff win in years. Elway stuck to his guns and threw his hat in the Manning sweepstakes without knowing the conclusion. THIS was going "all in."

It was the CORRECT choice, but I don't think it was the OBVIOUS choice.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:32 AM   #356
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Are you that stupid? I know you are but you can't be that ignorant are you? Do you realize how many starters Elway has drafted? Let's not mention his FA acquisitions and fixing Denver's cap problems. You just argue to argue. Answer this outside of Seattle who has drafted as many key starters as Elway?
Just because a player is starting for your team doesn't mean he is an amazingly talented player in the league.

Lots of GM's have drafted quality starters. Ted Thompson, Jerry Reese, Trent Baalke (he had a major hand in drafting players before he was GM in 2011. Still played a big role).
Dimitroff has done a great job drafting in Atlanta. Mike Brown/Marvin Lewis have done a nice job drafting good players in Cincy making them one of the most overall talented teams in the league.

I do think Tom Telesco is off to a nice start in San Diego too. Of course it's too early to judge completely.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #357
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Here is an old American Indian word that will help our Chiefs fans -

Hopium.

Last edited by baja; 05-16-2014 at 10:35 AM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #358
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
The main thing is Elway is smart enough to find a franchise QB. KC has never had one in the history of tbe franchise. Elway knows what he is doing while KC just fires GM and HC'S every few years to start the process of hope up again.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #359
Shananahan
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I disagree it was obvious. I mean, obviously you'd rather have PM than Tebow, but TT was a guy that energized a fan base, probably made the team a lot of money, and brought them their first playoff win in years. Elway stuck to his guns and threw his hat in the Manning sweepstakes without knowing the conclusion. THIS was going "all in."

It was the CORRECT choice, but I don't think it was the OBVIOUS choice.
I love Tim Tebow and will forever believe he didn't get an honest chance to show what he could become here, but it was obvious, obvious, obvious, obvious, obvious, obvious, obvious, obvious, obvious all day long.

I realize that I am perhaps splitting hairs here. I apologize.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:39 AM   #360
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Just because a player is starting for your team doesn't mean he is an amazingly talented player in the league.
It must mean he a starter quality if the team is in the superbowl and half of the starters are drafted by the current regime. Teams want to get 3 starters out of each draft and Elway has done a great job at that. Why don't you list the draft picks of the GM's you mentioned in your last post or quit being so ignorant. You know that Elway has done a fantastic job since taking over.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #361
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Thomas Dimitroff has been landing about 1 starter per draft maybe 2. He is so good that Atlanta had 1 draft pick in this deep draft. He has also had the luxury of drafting high a couple times. Elway has had the luxury of low draft picks all but Von Miller year.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #362
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

No one knew if he would be able to play again, not to this level.

Especially with Tebow coming off winning a playoff game. I was for the move but even as a big Manning fan, i had doubts.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:14 AM   #363
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post

Lots of GM's have drafted quality starters. Ted Thompson, Jerry Reese, Trent Baalke (he had a major hand in drafting players before he was GM in 2011. Still played a big role).
Dimitroff has done a great job drafting in Atlanta. Mike Brown/Marvin Lewis have done a nice job drafting good players in Cincy making them one of the most overall talented teams in the league.

I do think Tom Telesco is off to a nice start in San Diego too. Of course it's too early to judge completely.
Reese and Dimitroff havent had good drafts lately.

Reese has had some bad picks but overall not bad.

Falcons cant draft outside of the first 2 rounds to save their life. Dimitroff is a terrible drafter, although this draft looks to be really good for them.

3 starters per draft is usually pretty good, 2 isnt bad, if you get 4-5+, you had an insane draft.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #364
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

HomeBroncos MailbagStory

Denver Post sports writer Mike Klis posts his Broncos Mailbag monthly during the offseason.

Mike - With free agency and the three-day NFL bender (a.k.a. the NFL draft) in the books, care to ruminate on John Elway's apparent magnetic ability to lure high-caliber free agents to the club? Do you lend any credence to the theory No. 7's Hall of Fame NFL resume helps attract star free agents? Or do those chunky front-loaded contracts the Broncos' front office seems to favor handing out play more of a deciding factor in your opinion?
-- Lance, Colorado Springs

Lance - I do think when a free agent gets a call from John Elway, it helps close the deal. But in my experience of covering free agency in both baseball and football, 90 percent of decisions are based on money.

The free agents always say it isn't about the money. Then you look at the contract they receive and dig out what others were offering and it was about the money.

It's more true in football than baseball. There is a greater sense of urgency among football players to get the money when they can. For two reasons. One, the salary-cap system means the day will come when they get whacked because of money. So fair is fair. And two, the players' relatively short careers.

A guy like Wesley Woodyard, for instance, gets one chance to make good dough. He took it with Tennessee.

Peyton Manning was the only high-profile free agent I covered where money wasn't a factor. All teams recruiting him knew the parameters of his deal, as set by his agent Tom Condon, was five years and $90 million. The Broncos sweetened the deal to $96 million but there were reports Tennessee's late owner Bud Adams offered $25 million a year, or $125 million over five years.

When the money is assured, money isn't the issue. Elway was one reason why Manning chose Denver. So was John Fox.

So was Ryan Clady and Demaryius Thomas. So was Brandon Stokley and Todd Helton and Colorado's quality of life.

Read more: Broncos Mailbag: How persuasive is John Elway during free agency? - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncosmai...#ixzz33n1EVkhm
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

Last edited by baja; 06-05-2014 at 11:16 AM..
Old 06-05-2014, 12:18 PM   #365
driver
Pro Bowler

Bronco Fan Extrordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Thomas Dimitroff has been landing about 1 starter per draft maybe 2. He is so good that Atlanta had 1 draft pick in this deep draft. He has also had the luxury of drafting high a couple times. Elway has had the luxury of low draft picks all but Von Miller year.
Huh? Say what? Vice versa or verse vice or, never mind confusing.
driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #366
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver View Post
Huh? Say what? Vice versa or verse vice or, never mind confusing.
Yeah it was I meant Denver always selecting late in each round.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #367
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
HomeBroncos MailbagStory

Denver Post sports writer Mike Klis posts his Broncos Mailbag monthly during the offseason.

Mike - With free agency and the three-day NFL bender (a.k.a. the NFL draft) in the books, care to ruminate on John Elway's apparent magnetic ability to lure high-caliber free agents to the club? Do you lend any credence to the theory No. 7's Hall of Fame NFL resume helps attract star free agents? Or do those chunky front-loaded contracts the Broncos' front office seems to favor handing out play more of a deciding factor in your opinion?
-- Lance, Colorado Springs

Lance - I do think when a free agent gets a call from John Elway, it helps close the deal. But in my experience of covering free agency in both baseball and football, 90 percent of decisions are based on money.

The free agents always say it isn't about the money. Then you look at the contract they receive and dig out what others were offering and it was about the money.

It's more true in football than baseball. There is a greater sense of urgency among football players to get the money when they can. For two reasons. One, the salary-cap system means the day will come when they get whacked because of money. So fair is fair. And two, the players' relatively short careers.

A guy like Wesley Woodyard, for instance, gets one chance to make good dough. He took it with Tennessee.

Peyton Manning was the only high-profile free agent I covered where money wasn't a factor. All teams recruiting him knew the parameters of his deal, as set by his agent Tom Condon, was five years and $90 million. The Broncos sweetened the deal to $96 million but there were reports Tennessee's late owner Bud Adams offered $25 million a year, or $125 million over five years.

When the money is assured, money isn't the issue. Elway was one reason why Manning chose Denver. So was John Fox.

So was Ryan Clady and Demaryius Thomas. So was Brandon Stokley and Todd Helton and Colorado's quality of life.

Read more: Broncos Mailbag: How persuasive is John Elway during free agency? - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncosmai...#ixzz33n1EVkhm
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook
It tends to amaze me that people forget Fox was one of the reasons Peyton picked Denver. They remember Elway and just gloss over Fox.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #368
mennonite
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I wonder if he regrets not meeting with Pete Carroll now.
mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #369
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennonite View Post
Considering he was never likely to leave the AFC I doubt it.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #370
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Were they interested?
Old 06-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #371
mennonite
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Yeah, Pete Carroll showed up for an unannounced visit and Manning blew him off.
mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:07 PM   #372
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Yeah, Pete Carroll showed up for an unannounced visit and Manning blew him off.
Oh ya that's right - showed up in his jet thinking he'd impress.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:10 PM   #373
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer

Git er done

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
When John Elway was hired to run the Denver Broncos' football operations, it looked like a move that pandered to a fan base that still loved Elway well after retirement.

The franchise was in sickly shape at the time, ravaged by an unfathomable decision to let Josh McDaniels have complete and total control of the organization in his first coaching job. That should have set the franchise back a decade. Elway, if nothing else, was good PR. People in Denver would never object.

I thought at the time that it might be a bad move. Great players don't always make great executives, and Elway had no NFL front office experience. Ozzie Newsome and Jerry West are among the rare cases of great players becoming great executives; it just doesn't happen that often. But in typical Elway fashion, he willed himself to be one of the best GMs in the NFL. Signing Ryan Clady, one of the NFL's best left tackles, to a deal that benefited both sides before the contract deadline for franchise-tagged players is just another sign of how well he has transitioned to his new job.

The way Elway has completely rebuilt the Broncos in a little more than two years is absolutely remarkable.

for the rest... http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...133023861.html
This has absolutely nothing to do with this thread...but EVERYTIME I see your pic. thing of what Peyton and Elway would like if they were cross bred...OH MY...all I can say is DAMN ...and not in a good way...
Chrissy Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:16 PM   #374
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Elway’s time rebuilding in Denver reads like a laundry list of successes. Establish a foundation. Axe Tim Tebow. Court Manning. Add more free agents, some at bargain prices. Win the AFC. Win free agency, resoundingly so, on the heels of a Super Bowl loss. Only two postseason games stand as blemishes on Elway’s pristine résumé, and after both he went about free agency like it was his own playoff game to win, to even the score.

“We knew Peyton [alone] wasn’t going to win championships for us,” Elway says. “Teams win championships. Individuals don’t.”

On the day Elway was hired, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen laid out the expectations simply. “I think John will return this team to a very high level of competitiveness,” he said, “and I think we’ll win a few Super Bowls.” So far, Elway has done the former, but not the latter. With Manning just two years shy of 40, the stakes are higher, but Elway is delivering on par. In the first
48 hours of free agency this spring, Elway signed safety T.J. Ward and cornerback Aqib Talib, beefing up a defense that was shaky throughout 2013 and exposed in the Super Bowl. Then, when the team brought its two newest players in for a press conference March 12, buzz had already begun about yet another addition. Talib had been surprised to see a fellow Pro Bowler on his flight from Dallas that morning. Sure enough, by the time the cornerback was done at the podium Elway was back yet again, this time to trot out defensive end DeMarcus Ware, who’d agreed to a deal while the rest of Denver was still celebrating the two that came before.

By the end of that week Denver had added Emmanuel Sanders, who replaces Eric Decker in the team’s wide receiver corps. Decker was going to command too much money in free agency; Elway let him walk, knowing they could find a more than adequate replacement—especially with Manning under center—and that they needed the money to bulk up elsewhere. Elway also let running back Knowshon Moreno walk after a stellar season for similar reasons, knowing where to divert money and where Manning’s arm and offense could allow for cost-saving measures.

“They’re going to dish out the cash to win,” Sanders says. “When they said that they wanted me, they did whatever they needed to do to bring me here. If I could say one thing about [Elway], he’s a winner...

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/07/15/john-e...ver-broncos/2/
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:26 PM   #375
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
I. HATE. THE. OFFSEASON!

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
Elway’s time rebuilding in Denver reads like a laundry list of successes. Establish a foundation. Axe Tim Tebow. Court Manning. Add more free agents, some at bargain prices. Win the AFC. Win free agency, resoundingly so, on the heels of a Super Bowl loss. Only two postseason games stand as blemishes on Elway’s pristine résumé, and after both he went about free agency like it was his own playoff game to win, to even the score.

“We knew Peyton [alone] wasn’t going to win championships for us,” Elway says. “Teams win championships. Individuals don’t.”

On the day Elway was hired, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen laid out the expectations simply. “I think John will return this team to a very high level of competitiveness,” he said, “and I think we’ll win a few Super Bowls.” So far, Elway has done the former, but not the latter. With Manning just two years shy of 40, the stakes are higher, but Elway is delivering on par. In the first
48 hours of free agency this spring, Elway signed safety T.J. Ward and cornerback Aqib Talib, beefing up a defense that was shaky throughout 2013 and exposed in the Super Bowl. Then, when the team brought its two newest players in for a press conference March 12, buzz had already begun about yet another addition. Talib had been surprised to see a fellow Pro Bowler on his flight from Dallas that morning. Sure enough, by the time the cornerback was done at the podium Elway was back yet again, this time to trot out defensive end DeMarcus Ware, who’d agreed to a deal while the rest of Denver was still celebrating the two that came before.

By the end of that week Denver had added Emmanuel Sanders, who replaces Eric Decker in the team’s wide receiver corps. Decker was going to command too much money in free agency; Elway let him walk, knowing they could find a more than adequate replacement—especially with Manning under center—and that they needed the money to bulk up elsewhere. Elway also let running back Knowshon Moreno walk after a stellar season for similar reasons, knowing where to divert money and where Manning’s arm and offense could allow for cost-saving measures.

“They’re going to dish out the cash to win,” Sanders says. “When they said that they wanted me, they did whatever they needed to do to bring me here. If I could say one thing about [Elway], he’s a winner...

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/07/15/john-e...ver-broncos/2/
Thank you for that.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote