The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #326
mennonite
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Yeah, Pete Carroll showed up for an unannounced visit and Manning blew him off.
mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:07 PM   #327
baja
Headmaster

"Win from now on" - Elway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Leo-TailGateNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennonite View Post
Yeah, Pete Carroll showed up for an unannounced visit and Manning blew him off.
Oh ya that's right - showed up in his jet thinking he'd impress.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:16 PM   #328
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Elway’s time rebuilding in Denver reads like a laundry list of successes. Establish a foundation. Axe Tim Tebow. Court Manning. Add more free agents, some at bargain prices. Win the AFC. Win free agency, resoundingly so, on the heels of a Super Bowl loss. Only two postseason games stand as blemishes on Elway’s pristine résumé, and after both he went about free agency like it was his own playoff game to win, to even the score.

“We knew Peyton [alone] wasn’t going to win championships for us,” Elway says. “Teams win championships. Individuals don’t.”

On the day Elway was hired, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen laid out the expectations simply. “I think John will return this team to a very high level of competitiveness,” he said, “and I think we’ll win a few Super Bowls.” So far, Elway has done the former, but not the latter. With Manning just two years shy of 40, the stakes are higher, but Elway is delivering on par. In the first
48 hours of free agency this spring, Elway signed safety T.J. Ward and cornerback Aqib Talib, beefing up a defense that was shaky throughout 2013 and exposed in the Super Bowl. Then, when the team brought its two newest players in for a press conference March 12, buzz had already begun about yet another addition. Talib had been surprised to see a fellow Pro Bowler on his flight from Dallas that morning. Sure enough, by the time the cornerback was done at the podium Elway was back yet again, this time to trot out defensive end DeMarcus Ware, who’d agreed to a deal while the rest of Denver was still celebrating the two that came before.

By the end of that week Denver had added Emmanuel Sanders, who replaces Eric Decker in the team’s wide receiver corps. Decker was going to command too much money in free agency; Elway let him walk, knowing they could find a more than adequate replacement—especially with Manning under center—and that they needed the money to bulk up elsewhere. Elway also let running back Knowshon Moreno walk after a stellar season for similar reasons, knowing where to divert money and where Manning’s arm and offense could allow for cost-saving measures.

“They’re going to dish out the cash to win,” Sanders says. “When they said that they wanted me, they did whatever they needed to do to bring me here. If I could say one thing about [Elway], he’s a winner...

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/07/15/john-e...ver-broncos/2/
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:26 PM   #329
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
"No Fate"

"Come with me if you want to live."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
Elway’s time rebuilding in Denver reads like a laundry list of successes. Establish a foundation. Axe Tim Tebow. Court Manning. Add more free agents, some at bargain prices. Win the AFC. Win free agency, resoundingly so, on the heels of a Super Bowl loss. Only two postseason games stand as blemishes on Elway’s pristine résumé, and after both he went about free agency like it was his own playoff game to win, to even the score.

“We knew Peyton [alone] wasn’t going to win championships for us,” Elway says. “Teams win championships. Individuals don’t.”

On the day Elway was hired, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen laid out the expectations simply. “I think John will return this team to a very high level of competitiveness,” he said, “and I think we’ll win a few Super Bowls.” So far, Elway has done the former, but not the latter. With Manning just two years shy of 40, the stakes are higher, but Elway is delivering on par. In the first
48 hours of free agency this spring, Elway signed safety T.J. Ward and cornerback Aqib Talib, beefing up a defense that was shaky throughout 2013 and exposed in the Super Bowl. Then, when the team brought its two newest players in for a press conference March 12, buzz had already begun about yet another addition. Talib had been surprised to see a fellow Pro Bowler on his flight from Dallas that morning. Sure enough, by the time the cornerback was done at the podium Elway was back yet again, this time to trot out defensive end DeMarcus Ware, who’d agreed to a deal while the rest of Denver was still celebrating the two that came before.

By the end of that week Denver had added Emmanuel Sanders, who replaces Eric Decker in the team’s wide receiver corps. Decker was going to command too much money in free agency; Elway let him walk, knowing they could find a more than adequate replacement—especially with Manning under center—and that they needed the money to bulk up elsewhere. Elway also let running back Knowshon Moreno walk after a stellar season for similar reasons, knowing where to divert money and where Manning’s arm and offense could allow for cost-saving measures.

“They’re going to dish out the cash to win,” Sanders says. “When they said that they wanted me, they did whatever they needed to do to bring me here. If I could say one thing about [Elway], he’s a winner...

Thank you for that.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #330
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Casey Kreiter

I fapped.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #331
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Building a Better Bronco

I don't think my previous link included the first part. Anyhow a good read -

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/07/15/john-e...enver-broncos/
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #332
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:38 PM   #333
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Mobley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I disagree it was obvious. I mean, obviously you'd rather have PM than Tebow, but TT was a guy that energized a fan base, probably made the team a lot of money, and brought them their first playoff win in years. Elway stuck to his guns and threw his hat in the Manning sweepstakes without knowing the conclusion. THIS was going "all in."

It was the CORRECT choice, but I don't think it was the OBVIOUS choice.
I have to disagree. I think it was obvious, especially for Elway. Elway was not hanging on to Tebow. He just said all the right things. There were some who thought Tebow brought a long sought playoff win but those that know football knew it wasn't him, especially Elway. Even if Manning had not been available I expected a new QB the following season because Elway is a smart man and loves the Broncos.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #334
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

Rep.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:26 AM   #335
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

GM John Elway and wife, Paige, were honored last night for community work w/event proceeds benefiting diabetes.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #336
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Old 12-13-2015, 03:26 PM   #337
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post

Agreed, best gm the nfl has seen in a long time.
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:23 PM   #338
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Old 01-24-2016, 05:13 PM   #339
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Old 01-24-2016, 05:16 PM   #340
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Win this and no questions asked, you are the best.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:26 PM   #341
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Old 01-24-2016, 05:47 PM   #342
69bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Hope he's proud of himself, too!
69bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:08 PM   #343
Circle Orange
Apocalypse.

*Sigh* the obsession with comparing Peyton's situation to John's really needs to stop. First off, this team is led by defense. The teams John played on were ALWAYS led by offense. Manning isn't Elway, and this isn't 1997-1998. The NFL isn't plug and play. And Conforna tries to look like he's being objective, but it isn't clear that he is, just that he needs to make a story. It's like he's trying to prove he isn't a suckup or something.
Circle Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:26 PM   #344
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bronco View Post
That will forever be awesome.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:42 PM   #345
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Old 01-25-2016, 05:45 PM   #346
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Quote:

I see you TI. Repping Von with the jersey and showing Elway mad respect.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:01 PM   #347
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Old 01-25-2016, 06:03 PM   #348
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Old 01-25-2016, 06:23 PM   #349
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Quote:

We are still young and cheap, we developed players as well as brought in FA's.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:37 PM   #350
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay