The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 07:24 AM   #1
DenverBound
Thanks for the memories

This one's for Pat!

Default Anyone Golf?

I'm thinking about taking up golfing. I've been to the driving range a few times years ago with very mixed results but I blame that mostly on alcohol.

My interest is half an excuse to get me out of the house without the wife complaining and half because I'm finding that a lot of work gets done on the course with certain people within my company.

So, to keep the wife happy, I don't want to spend a fortune on a beginner set of clubs but at the same time I don't want to take a Walmart special set of clubs to tee time with a group of people that make way more money than I do. Plus, I just moved to Colorado and I'll be damned if I don't get to get out and enjoy this beautiful weather.

I've found this set - Wilson Men's Ultra 10-Piece Complete Set from Dick's for $179.00.

- It's got great reviews on amazon for being a very forgiving set.

- Price seems more than reasonable.

- Includes hybrid clubs which I guess are good for beginners.

Would this be a wise choice? Would I be getting funny looks from people taking this set out? Any other tips for someone new to golf?

Thanks in advance.
DenverBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

It's a good choice. Wilson doesn't make much in the way of high end gear anymore, but they do really well with the entry level stuff. And honestly, spending $200 or $2000 isn't going to make a difference in your game right now.

Get the clubs. Learn to swing. Take some lessons. Have a few rounds. Nobody else on the course is going to give two ****s about your clubs, because we've all been on the course with a guy who has an expensive bag but no game, and a guy with a cheap ass bag and a great game. It just doesn't matter.

Learn to play. Golf is a wonderful activity.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:40 AM   #3
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

I hate the complete sets even for beginners. Go to a golf shop where you can demo quality clubs and then go home and find that set used set on ebay for half the price. More than likely you will change again in a year or so. Woods and irons don't need to match and a putter that fits you is by far better than one in a cheap set.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
DenverBound
Thanks for the memories

This one's for Pat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I hate the complete sets even for beginners. Go to a golf shop where you can demo quality clubs and then go home and find that set used set on ebay for half the price. More than likely you will change again in a year or so. Woods and irons don't need to match and a putter that fits you is by far better than one in a cheap set.
What exactly do you hate about them? Like I said, they have really good reviews so as far as playability, they seem OK. I thought about looking into a mixed bag, but I know my personality and I would end up spending WAY too much money (thus pissing off the wife). I once took up RC racing and spent $9800 in one year. I tend to go over board with new hobbies. I'm trying to be smarter this go around.

Elusive - Good to know I won't be judged too harshly with this set. You mentioned lesson's. I'm thinking those are pretty expensive. Any tips on a reasonable place in Denver?
Old 07-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

I can go either way with what was said above. For the first 3-6 months you are going to suck no matter what you get. I think buying 6-10 lessons then spending time on the range then playing your butt off (much easier said than done with wife and other obligations) is the way to go. If you can find a cheaper used set at a local store 200-300 it will probably be better than the Wilsons but they would be serviceable. Also for your first few rounds try to find an "executive" course that is mainly par 3's. It will be a less frustrating start and cheaper. It ain't a cheap "hobby".
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:06 AM   #6
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBound View Post
What exactly do you hate about them? Like I said, they have really good reviews so as far as playability, they seem OK. I thought about looking into a mixed bag, but I know my personality and I would end up spending WAY too much money (thus pissing off the wife). I once took up RC racing and spent $9800 in one year. I tend to go over board with new hobbies. I'm trying to be smarter this go around.

Elusive - Good to know I won't be judged too harshly with this set. You mentioned lesson's. I'm thinking those are pretty expensive. Any tips on a reasonable place in Denver?
Buy the lessons in bulk e.g. 6 for 400 and you get a bit of a discount.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:10 AM   #7
DenverBound
Thanks for the memories

This one's for Pat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
I can go either way with what was said above. For the first 3-6 months you are going to suck no matter what you get. I think buying 6-10 lessons then spending time on the range then playing your butt off (much easier said than done with wife and other obligations) is the way to go. If you can find a cheaper used set at a local store 200-300 it will probably be better than the Wilsons but they would be serviceable. Also for your first few rounds try to find an "executive" course that is mainly par 3's. It will be a less frustrating start and cheaper. It ain't a cheap "hobby".
Very good advice on the executive course. I will absolutely do that. What is a reasonable price for 6-10 lessons? I don't mind the investment, I just don't want my wife thinking, " here we go again ".
Old 07-15-2014, 08:11 AM   #8
DenverBound
Thanks for the memories

This one's for Pat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
Buy the lessons in bulk e.g. 6 for 400 and you get a bit of a discount.
Gotcha. Thanks for the tips.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #9
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Gotcha. Thanks for the tips.
This place is really good.

http://www.trentwearnergolf.com/

Whereever you go, for the price, make sure they use video. Get yourself on tape because what you are actaully doing and what you think you are doing will be two different feelings.

There are a few fundemental positions in golf all good golfers get to especially impact. Video will help you see and feel the correct impact postion
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:38 AM   #10
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Your game and swing will evolve as you go. Which means the clubs you use in the beginning won't exactly be so great(fit, type of shafts, head styles, etc) a little down the road. So spending big IMO would be the next set. Where you do want to spend and fit for you is the putter. Don't got cheap on that in the beginning
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:04 AM   #11
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Don't buy one of those rinky dink starter sets. Go to a pro shop and buy used clubs or find the ones you like and buy them online. I could go to golfsmith/pgasuperstore and get a great comolete set of used clubs for under 500 and probably under 400.

Irons 200 or less
Driver/3 wood/hybrid 40 bucks each or less
Putter 100 or less
Wedges 30 to 50 bucks a piece
Golf bag go to walmart.

Last edited by DENVERDUI55; 07-15-2014 at 09:07 AM..
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #12
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
They can be expensive, but IMO, the amount of time and frustration a few lessons will save you in the long term is significant. I have some friends who bought bulk lessons at Green Valley Ranch, which is a nice course (on your way to the airport) with a good lead instructor. The bulk lessons included a few rounds with the coach, which is a huge factor as he'll be able to work with you on club and shot selection.

Like I said, well worth cutting out some of the frustration of trying to teach yourself. It'll also keep you from developing bad habits, which is just as important.

Someone said make sure they use video. I would second that.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:14 AM   #13
DenverBound
Thanks for the memories

This one's for Pat!

Awesome advice gents. Much appreciated.

I think I'll get that set for now and go find an empty executive course. Any rules or etiquette i should follow for my first outing?That two person 10 hour block from Trent's place is pretty reasonable if I can find another person.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #14
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

I think I'll get that set for now and go find an empty executive course. Any rules or etiquette i should follow for my first outing?That two person 10 hour block from Trent's place is pretty reasonable if I can find another person.
Pretty much just usual stuff like try not to slow play. Let others waiting behind play through if you do. Cover divots, rake bunkers, etc. let the expletives fly of needed
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #15
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Quote:

as has been mentioned, pace of play is important and can be frustrating at times. Sometimes you just have to ignore people coming behind you if you are truly keeping pace with those ahead. Letting those behind you "play through" is a courtesy, but won't help them if you are keeping up with the guys ahead, anyway.

When I first started (30 yrs ago), I went to a golf shop and told them how much I had to spend (at the time $175), and asked them what to get. He showed me a set of knockoff pingzings that I used for 20 years. (BTW, golf clubs really aren't that much more expensive now than they were then)

The important thing to me is to like how they look and have some trust in them to start - that's what going to the pro helped me with. He said the set I bought was a great set from a good knockoff maker (Pinemeadow).
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #16
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Very good advice.

You really need to demo, demo, demo to find what fits you and what you're comfortable with at your skill level. The Irons and woods may not even be from the same maker that you end up liking. And they dont need to match each other.

I would find out what you really play well with and then buy your first 2-3 sets used until you really know what you want in a couple years. So what if you have to replace the grips on used, it's worth it.. Golf equipment losses it's resale value fast. You can find steals easy if you do your homework.

Plus many guys DO judge each others golf equipment while doing business. You don't want to be the guy with unprofessional crap just the same as you don't want to be the fool that's wasted money. Think of it as buying a business suit. Fit it for your needs and the people you'll be around and you'll do fine.

Golfing is like owning a boat. It can be an open money drain before you know it.

Last edited by Bronco Yoda; 07-15-2014 at 10:21 AM..
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:11 AM   #17
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Good Luck, and have fun that's all that really matters. You're right it's an excellent place to network but learn how to play at a quick pace, no one likes to play with someone that is slow.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:14 AM   #18
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
I'm thinking about taking up golfing. I've been to the driving range a few times years ago with very mixed results but I blame that mostly on alcohol.

My interest is half an excuse to get me out of the house without the wife complaining and half because I'm finding that a lot of work gets done on the course with certain people within my company.

So, to keep the wife happy, I don't want to spend a fortune on a beginner set of clubs but at the same time I don't want to take a Walmart special set of clubs to tee time with a group of people that make way more money than I do. Plus, I just moved to Colorado and I'll be damned if I don't get to get out and enjoy this beautiful weather.

I've found this set - Wilson Men's Ultra 10-Piece Complete Set from Dick's for $179.00.

- It's got great reviews on amazon for being a very forgiving set.

- Price seems more than reasonable.

- Includes hybrid clubs which I guess are good for beginners.

Would this be a wise choice? Would I be getting funny looks from people taking this set out? Any other tips for someone new to golf?

Thanks in advance.
You're just starting out. Get the cheap set of forgiving game improvement irons. That's fine. It's takes several years to really start to enjoy golf...but everytime you go out you'll hit some kind of comeback shot. Something that makes you want to come back and do it again. To become a good golfer you not only need to master the game but master yourself. controlling your emotions and focus are key. No matter what..always stay positive out there and have fun. It's my opinion that mastering golf and thus yourself will make your life better.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #19
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
You're just starting out. Get the cheap set of forgiving game improvement irons. That's fine. It's takes several years to really start to enjoy golf...but everytime you go out you'll hit some kind of comeback shot. Something that makes you want to come back and do it again. To become a good golfer you not only need to master the game but master yourself. controlling your emotions and focus are key. No matter what..always stay positive out there and have fun. It's my opinion that mastering golf and thus yourself will make your life better.

Oh..and the first thing to learn is the grip

how you grip the club is one of the biggest things that result in inconsistent shots. You can have a weak grip, neutral grip, and a strong grip.

A recommend a strong grip to start out and maybe you'll adjust that later on down the road. If you google strong grip golf...you'll get some pictures
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #20
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

get a year old set of adams, their decent quality and you wont kill yourself if you decide golf is not for you.

you can get a new set (last years models) for 150.
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #21
Punisher
® Kiss the shoes!

We run the AFC WOOOOOOO!®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7 = God

**** golf
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #22
Bronco Yoda

When I first started I found a local college that had some golf classes. This gave me a group to learn and play with and a practice putting and chipping facility. Schools also get great deals on green fees. The local executive course was my best friend. Once I learned the basics THEN I went in for some one on one lessons.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #23
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Don't buy one of those rinky dink starter sets. Go to a pro shop and buy used clubs or find the ones you like and buy them online. I could go to golfsmith/pgasuperstore and get a great comolete set of used clubs for under 500 and probably under 400.

Irons 200 or less
Driver/3 wood/hybrid 40 bucks each or less
Putter 100 or less
Wedges 30 to 50 bucks a piece
Golf bag go to walmart.
I recommend this. I have found that the knock off irons and hybrids can be quite nice and fitted to you for ~$200 at most places. Havent had much luck with the woods. Used is a nice choice there.

Lots of fun/cheap lob wedges (68deg!) and other misc clubs on Amazon that will work fine.
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:30 PM   #24
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Go to the driving range and start talking to the older guys they will help you
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #25
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Good starter kit, but you'll find yourself wanting something with a better feel off the ball pretty quickly.

I work for Vail resorts and golf clubs are among the things we merchandise. We do really well with Taylor Made. Good stuff and decent pricing... I think those burners, which are the more forgiving ones, you an get an iron set with a hybrid for $200, and another $300 should get you a driver and a fairway wood. Probably the best bang for your buck there.

I use the Cobra Amp Cell clubs. Also forgiving as long as you don't get the fully forged ones. I think last years model (which really doesn't differ so much from this years) you can get an iron set for $400 and another $400 for a driver and fairway wood.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote