The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Default Dumervil vs. Phillips

Just wanted to say I (along with a lot of other people on here) told you so. We all agreed we would have like Doom to return but that he was overpaid at $8+ million per year. Well what is he making this year compared to Phillips? So far Doom has 5 sacks and 16 total tackles and is a huge liability against the run. Phillips has 5.5 sacks and 15 total tackles and is better against the run than Doom.

So ya, for an eighth of the price we are doin just fine.

Last edited by LetsGoBroncos; 10-17-2013 at 12:20 PM..
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
DomCasual
The Dude abides.

Shameless Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
Just wanted to say I (along with a lot of other people on here) told you so. We all agreed we would have like Doom to return but that he was overpaid at $8+ million per year. Well what is he making this year compared to Phillips? So far Doom has 5 sacks and 16 total tackles and is a huge liability against the fun. Phillips has 5.5 sacks and 15 total tackles and is better against the run than Doom.

So ya, for an eighth of the price we are doin just fine.
The last thing this team needs is someone who is a huge liability against the fun! That can make a season seem eternal. We want guys who are assets to the fun!
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

No Fun League
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

QB hurries? overall impact on the Defense..... should have paid the man - er faxgate
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I wanted him back because he was one of my favs. I will admit I wanted to see what he did on another team to answer some questions I had about him. Now I'm glad we didn't waste that much money on him.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Elvis Dumervil against the fun:

Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

It's exactly what I always said, huge fun liability.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Joe Flacco>Peyton Manning

obviously

**** YOU DOOM!
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I knew Phillips could replace most of what Doom gave us on the pass rush side of things and probably would be better against the run. I've said all along that I thought it was the smart move to not pay him over 5M per year and for what we are paying Phillips, even better. That frees up money to sign other guys are are playing well. Sorry but I don't miss Doom at all. 8M for 12 sacks and average run support - no thanks.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #11
Johnykbr
Pro Bowler

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Only reason I miss Doom is because he was just good enough that opposing offenses were scared of him and his name alone, even if it didn't warrant it, would just seem to make opposing QBs making dumb mistakes which he would capitalize on. Otherwise, Phillips is doing just as well and well worth the price. We got a replacement who cares more about the ring than the paycheck and glory.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'd still pay Doom every day of the week. Probably kick in an extra million on Sunday.

This DL stinks to high hell at pass rushing. It's the biggest downside change from last year by far. Not sure how you can watch your team's defense go from #2 overall in 2012 to #29 now and say "I think that big move in the offseason really paid off"

I know Von is a big part and all. But it's more than a bit premature to say we don't miss Doom. I'm relatively sure we do.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

how many a phillips sacks have been coverage sacks? Doom brought the heat on a consistent basis. Can't say the same about phillips. Should have paid the man. Anyone out there not seeing our inability to rush the passer? Yeah... Von is back now but still...
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #14
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

I'm the Phillips hater and I've been paying attention to him when I've watched Bronco games.

Two of his sacks come against a rookie RT in the first game of the season after Oher went out.

One sack was in garbage time against Philly.

He had a coverage sack against Dallas and the second one came when Romo ran out of the pocket right into his arms due to pressure from the other side (Ayers?).

To me, his sacks have not been very impressive. The most impressive one to me was his coverage sack. Not saying he has played bad (for a backup he's living up to expectations I would say) but he kind of did the same thing the past couple of years in San Diego with his sacks either coming in garbage time or inferior opposition.

I haven't been paying attention to Dumervil. It seems like he's doing okay but not anything spectacular.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #15
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
how many a phillips sacks have been coverage sacks? Doom brought the heat on a consistent basis. Can't say the same about phillips. Should have paid the man. Anyone out there not seeing our inability to rush the passer? Yeah... Von is back now but still...
Doom has Suggs on the other side (who is a darn good pass rusher himself) and Doom is averaging less then 1 sack a game. And you think with Miller's suspension that he was going to be all world here?

Just face the facts - Phillips is giving us about the same stats with a fraction of the cost.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #16
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Wait until a healthy Phillips now opposite Von have a game or three to get in sync together... we wont miss Doom at all!

And Knowshon is playing better than Jammal Charles per carry (4.66yd Knowshon vs Charles 4.16yd and per catch 9.45yd Knowshon and Charles 9.09yrd) with both having the same overall total 7 TDs! And that is with Knowshon gettign less opportunities with our elite passing game and RBBC approach with Hillman and Ball taking away the running and receiving game yards from Knowshon.

Not to mention that Knowshon is a much better blocker for Peyton than Charles is for Smith ... you can just ask Smith about that! ...
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #17
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Doom would not have done any better without Von ( or Suggs) on the other side Heyneck.. He is a good DE but not an elite one on his own any longer and Im very glad we did not overpay for him this year!

Phillips has been an adequate replacement and expect to see his numbers increase with Von drawing more attention. Without Ayers the last two games too the opposing offense put more attention to shutting Phillips down without complete success.

And by next year expect Quanterus to be ready to rumble as well! with Vo,. Phillips, Ayers. lawt half of this year expect Malik to provide plenty of outside pressure , and inside pressure too with Derek Wolfe leading Knighton and Vick and an increasingly more seasoned Sly Williams last half of this year into next year in particular, getting even better push from the middle as well. Unrein too is approaching stub rotational DT.

Im not worried at all about our front 7 going forward.. We just could not sustain enough pressure without Von as the lynch pin and without Woodyard in the middle of the D calling the shots.

Last edited by Hulamau; 10-17-2013 at 11:25 AM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #18
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:

No, he didnt.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #19
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
The last thing this team needs is someone who is a huge liability against the fun! That can make a season seem eternal. We want guys who are assets to the fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
No Fun League
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
It's exactly what I always said, huge fun liability.
Awesome work, Mane. Reps to all!
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #20
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Well for one, I am glad you told me so. I am still having fun.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #21
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

5.5 sacks, 1 FF, a safety, and he caused two INT's. Phillips is earning his money.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #22
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default li

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Doom has Suggs on the other side (who is a darn good pass rusher himself) and Doom is averaging less then 1 sack a game. And you think with Miller's suspension that he was going to be all world here?

Just face the facts - Phillips is giving us about the same stats with a fraction of the cost.
Doom produced even before Von got here... and he could give you the stats. But they don't come in the form of crucial sack fumble strips that Doom used to pull out ever so often. The pressure is also not there. Sorry man.. but Phillps just can't bring the heat like Doom did. Sacks just seem to go his way. Malik brings more heat that Phillips also. Again... it seams like the sacks flow his way, but the heat just isn't there.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #23
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBII View Post
I'd still pay Doom every day of the week. Probably kick in an extra million on Sunday.

This DL stinks to high hell at pass rushing. It's the biggest downside change from last year by far. Not sure how you can watch your team's defense go from #2 overall in 2012 to #29 now and say "I think that big move in the offseason really paid off"

I know Von is a big part and all. But it's more than a bit premature to say we don't miss Doom. I'm relatively sure we do.
Without Von and WW, when we have to scheme rather than let guys play at positions best suited for them...it's also premature to say we do.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #24
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBII View Post

It's not premature at all. I said it before the season started and I don't regret it. It would have been nice to have him stay, with an extreme cut in pay, just so we didn't have to deal with the position but I don't believe anything would have been any different if he had. That contract was ridiculous.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #25
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
Without Von and WW, when we have to scheme rather than let guys play at positions best suited for them...it's also premature to say we do.
Maybe. But that might be why I'm not making threads about it.

And WW's been there most of the time. But the DL still looked mostly like **** on passing downs.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote