The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default the legacy of champ bailey

with nmandi retiring, its time we put champs legacy and his greatness as an NFL DB into perspective as a lot of people lately are downplaying what he has done as an NFL player (i feel like the same thing is happening to ed reed as he is on his last legs).

there was a time when nmandi was considered the premiere shutdown corner over champ, then darelle revis, now richard sherman, every year or two it changes to the next big thing. champ has been to 12 pro bowls, 3 time first team NFL all pro, 52 career INT's and over 800 tackles, and one of the best years by a cornerback EVER in 2006.

anyone else somewhat concerned that when we collectively look back at champ baileys career down the line, people will remember his injury riddled years and playoff game against BAL more then they will remember his pure dominance? i definitely dont want that to affect his hall of fame eligibility either.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Bronco
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Talib

champs the best cb to ever play in my eyes so i'm not too concerned about him missing a handful of games before he got his first lombardi.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
with nmandi retiring, its time we put champs legacy and his greatness as an NFL DB into perspective as a lot of people lately are downplaying what he has done as an NFL player (i feel like the same thing is happening to ed reed as he is on his last legs).

there was a time when nmandi was considered the premiere shutdown corner over champ, then darelle revis, now richard sherman, every year or two it changes to the next big thing. champ has been to 12 pro bowls, 3 time first team NFL all pro, 52 career INT's and over 800 tackles, and one of the best years by a cornerback EVER in 2006.

anyone else somewhat concerned that when we collectively look back at champ baileys career down the line, people will remember his injury riddled years and playoff game against BAL more then they will remember his pure dominance? i definitely dont want that to affect his hall of fame eligibility either.
I don't think this season has changed most peoples view of Champ being one if not the best of all time... I know he's lost a step, but I wanted to see him have one more solid year as we made a run to a Championship. There was a time when half the field was a no tread zone... It's been hard to watch the guy on the sides all year...
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
champs the best cb to ever play in my eyes so i'm not too concerned about him missing a handful of games before he got his first lombardi.
I still think Deion was one of the finest cover guys ever, a debate could be made he edges Champ.... But Champ was complete, practically flawless in coverage and a tactically strong tackler... Plus a leader, refrained from the showboating ****....
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post

I think most fans who know their NFL history will know how great of a player he was and how brilliant his career was. However you also have clowns who think emotionally and always seem to think negative.

for instance Jackie Smith had a Hall of Fame career, but what is he "known" for? Dropping a sure TD in SB XIII vs. the Steelers causing the Cowboys to settle for a FG in a 35-31 loss.

Earnest Byner had a very good career rushing for almost 8300 yards and scoring 56 TD's....but he's known for fumbling at the 2 with a huge hole to run thru in the '87 AFCCG preserving Denver's 38-33 victory.

Bill Buckner known for letting a ground ball go thru his legs enabling the Mets to come from behind and win the '86 World Series despite being a pretty damn good player.

Rahim Moore is evidently our best S this season...his absence is evidence of this, however he could end up being the next Smith, Atwater, Lott, or Reed and it wouldn';t matter to some clowns who only think he is the reason we didn't win vs. Ravens.

Last edited by errand; 12-26-2013 at 07:46 PM..
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Bailey is going to put on a clinic in the playoffs this year, just watch.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Champ is the Champ of CB's and don't you forget it
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Someone must be cooking tonight to not troll this thread.

I just want him to be able to contribute for our Super Bowl run. He has been around the longest.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Champ is the most complete corner and maybe the best CB to ever play the game. I can remember the best pick I ever saw was in New Orleans in the end zone where he came out of no where and pick the ball off in the endzone and got two feet in.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Deion was the best pure cover Cb I've ever seen, but in terms of the total package (coverage, tackling, selflessness, mentoring, etc.) Champ is the best. The Brady pick in the Divisional ranks at the top of my live sporting event experiences. I don't want to speak about Champ in the past tense though, because I think he's saving something great for the playoffs. A game saving pick, a tackle on 4th and goal at the 3 to win a SB, something great. Then he will ride off into the sunset like John, as a champion.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
ShutDownPoster
raging lurker

JUSTICE is served!!

My two favorite corners in the last 10-12 years or so:

1. Champ Bailey
2. Peanut Tillman (underrated IMHO)
ShutDownPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #12
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

With NFL players in certain positions, it's often best to look at how good they were in their top few years. And, as great as Champ has been over the long term, his complete and total dominance those first few years after the trade are still hard to believe happened, especially as the league rules turned pass happy. The number of games in that span where he didn't shut down half the field for 60 min can be counted on one hand.

Again, over a decade of pro-bowl level play makes him a lock for Canton. But, like most here feel about TD's brief career, the strength of just his few best years clearly set him apart from almost anyone else to play cornerback.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #13
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

the legacy of Champ: so close, so close. but....
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #14
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
Champ is the most complete corner and maybe the best CB to ever play the game. I can remember the best pick I ever saw was in New Orleans in the end zone where he came out of no where and pick the ball off in the endzone and got two feet in.
That's one of the coolest and most technically impressive plays I've ever seen. If I remember right, Aaron Brooks either whiffed on his aim or was throwing it out of bounds when Bailey just flies in parallel to the ground and knifes the ball out of the air, dragging his feet at the line as he goes out of bounds. I'm surprised it's so hard to find on the internet. It's also one of the great things about Champ, he doesn't play corner because he couldn't hack it at receiver or something. The dude catches almost anything that comes his way. He also dramatically changed a couple of Denver's seasons with timely interceptions, particularly the game-changer against San Diego and the (essentially) playoff winner vs. the Patriots.

I do think he's the best corner to ever play the game. Certainly the best of this generation. He was just as fast and athletic as Deion Sanders, too. In his prime, it was dangerous to throw anywhere near his area because he had the speed to cover ground extremely fast and catch passes that weren't even going to his guy. What puts him over Deion, for me anyway, is that Bailey's run coverage is almost preternatural with how he cuts through blocks, and his tackling itself is basically as textbook and efficient as you can get. He won't be nearly as remembered because he doesn't have the flashy personality or persona as some other guys, and he didn't go off and play mercenary for a number of Super Bowl teams either.
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #15
KevinJames
DT

First ballot HOF without question.

I think hes done as a CB after this year unless he wants to stay in the slot, I see him moving to Safety I really do just watching him blitz the QB last game and the range he showed in the slot coming back and we all know he is one of the best tacklers ever if we are talking DBs only I could see him being transitioning quite nicely to safety. I also think he will give the Broncos a hometown discount when he switches over.

Hopefully we get him a SB or two before he retires
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:33 AM   #16
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

His legacy is being hands down the best corner (and defensive back in general) in the modern era and in the discussion for best-all-time.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:09 AM   #17
Punisher
Punisher Vs Judge Dredd

Who ya Got?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #18
LittleFloyd
Seasoned Veteran

Hall of Fame

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Please lord, one more healthy year for Champ.
LittleFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #19
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFloyd View Post
Please lord, one more healthy year for Champ.
Champ needs to bite the bullet and move to free safety for 2014 -- one more pro bowl puts him at 13 for his career and in the discussion for G.O.A.T. for ALL positions.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #20
rmsanger
Ring of Famer

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

We always complain how the rest of the country skips Denver when considering HOF votes. That we have great players with a legacy that are simply bypassed by the east coast bias but continue to be loved by Denver ranks.

For Champ I get the inverse feeling that we tend to over-hype his greatness. He was a great player for us during an extended period of time that we hit mediocrity. The problem is that his injuries and ability to play the game declined and fell off a cliff during the most important time in his career.

People will not remember his "greatness" over being raped by Torrey Smith during the biggest game of his career. He's been a no-show during this season and we'll see about his performance in the playoffs.

No doubt he's ROF and hopefully first ballot HOF but I still feel people way over-hype his legacy on here. To me he's the Gary Payton or John Stockton of the last football generation.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #21
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
Champ needs to bite the bullet and move to free safety for 2014 -- one more pro bowl puts him at 13 for his career and in the discussion for G.O.A.T. for ALL positions.
I hope there are still a few chapters in the book for Champ - I certainly don't believe he is washed up, just injured. This will be one of Elway's most sensitive moments for the Broncos, because this contract and "position" must be addressed for the benefit of the team.

The Free Safety thing obviously makes sense, but I don't know why I am so interested in seeing this "nickel corner" thing work itself out. It is so very intriguing to me. Champ's instincts and technique have always been top notch, and he has shown the ability to cover large body and small body receivers. If there's ever a knock on Chris Harris, it's that he can't play through the larger bodied WR's and TE's. In my opinion, this is a brilliant use of Champ (by Del Rio), and his nickel coverage skills will obviously be tested in the playoffs.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #22
ND Bronco Fan
Ring of Famer

I was in love with DWill's game..........him and champ back in the hay day would have been so dirty..........unfair for other teams really. Point being I only like Denver players, everyone else sucks..Champ is the best and the reason my dogs name is Bailey
ND Bronco Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #23
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

champ.
textbook tackler
best corner to ever play for our broncos
a first ballet HOFer
amazing ball skills
tremendous football savvy and smarts.
In his Prime, there was no one better.
Champ will always be considered one of the top 10 corners of all time, and is most likely on everyones top 5 list.
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #24
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
I still think Deion was one of the finest cover guys ever, a debate could be made he edges Champ.... But Champ was complete, practically flawless in coverage and a tactically strong tackler... Plus a leader, refrained from the showboating ****....
Deion is arguably the better cover guy, but Champ was better all around. He was a complete player, Deion couldn't and wouldn't tackle.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #25
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

My dog is named after Champ Bailey. That's all you need to know.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote