The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #451
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Some good info on the Broncos' football operations department in this Klis article.

http://www.denverpost.com/klis/ci_23...os-after-execs
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #452
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

all that told me is that the Broncos would rather have heckert and russell than to promote other guys.
and i share their feelings.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #453
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
The Broncos have to come down very hard on Matt Russell and Tom Heckert.

You hate to think morbid thoughts like this, but really: With how wasted Russell and Heckert, both team executives, were when driving-while-impaired, it's very fortunate someone wasn't killed. As the Denver Post reported, Russell's blood-alcohol content was .246, more than three times the legal limit, when he was picked up after hitting two cars earlier this month; Heckert's BAC was .162, double the limit -- and Heckert was tested seven hours after being picked up. As club president Joe Ellis said a couple of times since the disturbing arrests were made public, their apologies ring hollow.

It's unlikely the Broncos will fire director of player personnel Russell or director of pro personnel Heckert today when the organization meets to decide what punishments to levy. I'm told the sanctions on both men will be significant in terms of time away from the job and financial punishment. But as important will be treatment for alcohol abuse if that's what the team feels is most important to the future of both men -- and the organization. I could see each man being assessed for the depth of alcohol problem and being away from the team for as long a period as the professional examining them deems right.

But the league is noted for giving first-strike (but serious) offenders a path back to their jobs, if they mend their ways and do just what they're supposed to do. That's why firings aren't likely. Rehab and a serious smack on the wrist -- for both men -- are more likely.

Entering training camp, John Elway will have to find another trusted member of his front office to scan the waiver wire and help him run personnel meetings. That's not the way you want to enter a season that dawns with such promise. But it'd be foolish for anyone to think the Broncos could go on with business as usual. They're likely to have to make do without Elway's top two lieutenants for much, if not all, of the summer.
Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...#ixzz2Z7fz5UP5
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #454
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
It's actually a good time for this to be happening as the roster is pretty much set. The coaches and Elway will be responsible cutting or releasing players. I agree that Heckert and Russell need a kick in the ass and now is as good a time as any to get it over with.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #455
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I guess if you have to go on mandatory leave for rehab, you might as well do so when the draft and lion's share of free agency are over. That said, there's usually some injuries and you have to plug holes. This could be good training for the next level of personnel guys to pinch-hit while the upper part of our personnel department collect AA tokens...
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #456
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

@MikeKlis

Matt Russell suspended indefinitely w/out pay, Tom Heckert suspended 1 month w/out pay. Treatment provided as needed.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #457
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Assassin View Post
@MikeKlis

Matt Russell suspended indefinitely w/out pay, Tom Heckert suspended 1 month w/out pay. Treatment provided as needed.
Pretty severe but warranted.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #458
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
@MikeKlis

good! no reason in the world you should be getting behind the wheel while intoxicated.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #459
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Elway and Ellis leading with an iron fist - I like it. Get your **** in order or you will get a size 12 so far up your rectum you will taste the kiwi shoe polish.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #460
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
@MikeKlis

Neither has a prior history (at least that I know of or has been publicly mentioned) of DUI so I think for the first offense there is some leniency. We'll see how they choose to handle this situation.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #461
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Neither has a prior history (at least that I know of or has been publicly mentioned) of DUI so I think for the first offense there is some leniency. We'll see how they choose to handle this situation.
Judging by his alcohol selection, I think it might have been the first time Matt Russel drank, never mind driving.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #462
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Judging by his alcohol selection, I think it might have been the first time Matt Russel drank, never mind driving.
he did better than i would. i can't drink at all.
alcohol taste disgusting to me. i literally spit it out as soon as i taste it in a drink. even worse, i didn't know what a contact high was until 4 years ago. my friends were all laughing their asses off at me.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #463
Drunken.Broncoholic

So who's gonna do Russell's job? Guess his dreams of becoming a college AD are over
Old 07-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #464
jerseyboiler120

Could be rough timing for us. We have a solid roster, but we are coming right into a time of year where personnel decisions are huge. But I trust in Elway.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #465
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

not worried about the personnel side. the Heckert suspension is one month. he'll be back to help out in crunch time.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #466
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #467
SeedReaver
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboiler120 View Post
Could be rough timing for us. We have a solid roster, but we are coming right into a time of year where personnel decisions are huge. But I trust in Elway.
I would say the personnel decisions coming up are less important (at least from the FO responsibilities) than the draft and free agency. Thank god we made it through those before all of this happened. I'm guessing most of the cut decisions are made by those on the field by the coaches than people like Russell and Heckert.
SeedReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #468
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
@MikeKlis

He needs help on what kind of booze to drink. Schnapps is never a good choice.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #469
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
he did better than i would. i can't drink at all.
alcohol taste disgusting to me. i literally spit it out as soon as i taste it in a drink. even worse, i didn't know what a contact high was until 4 years ago. my friends were all laughing their asses off at me.
consider yourself lucky. I often wake up on the weekend wondering how much better my life would be if I had that "problem"
Old 07-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #470
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
consider yourself lucky. I often wake up on the weekend wondering how much better my life would be if I had that "problem"
between my hate of alcohol and my inability to not get dizzy from black and mild smoke i'm pretty useless at a party.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #471
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Also from Mike Klis (@MikeKlis):

I asked John Elway and Joe Ellis about perception it's a bunch of guys having a good time upstairs. "I think

that's a little far-fetched,'' Elway said.

Said Ellis: "I will tell you these guys made bad mistakes, they know that. "We've talked about that at length. But we've got over 200 employees and 90 players right now and this is a group of people who collectively act and conduct themselves in and out of the building in a manner that we're all very proud of. "Are they perfect? No. But there are a lot of really, really, really good people working here. And to say we have a culture problem here that centers around alcohol, I just don't believe that."
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #472
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Also from Mike Klis (@MikeKlis):

I asked John Elway and Joe Ellis about perception it's a bunch of guys having a good time upstairs. "I think

that's a little far-fetched,'' Elway said.

Said Ellis: "I will tell you these guys made bad mistakes, they know that. "We've talked about that at length. But we've got over 200 employees and 90 players right now and this is a group of people who collectively act and conduct themselves in and out of the building in a manner that we're all very proud of. "Are they perfect? No. But there are a lot of really, really, really good people working here. And to say we have a culture problem here that centers around alcohol, I just don't believe that."
Ellis says this on a day when yet another bronco(even if its a no name) has been ousted by the media on DUI charges.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #473
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Ellis says this on a day when yet another bronco(even if its a no name) has been ousted by the media on DUI charges.
I seriously doubt Salisbury's drinking had anything to do with the culture at Dove Valley so much as him being a young guy with no sense. But the Broncos are definitely looking like they don't have the zero tolerance policy they claim to have when even undrafted guys from the practice squad aren't cut immediately after getting a DUI.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #474
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I seriously doubt Salisbury's drinking had anything to do with the culture at Dove Valley so much as him being a young guy with no sense. But the Broncos are definitely looking like they don't have the zero tolerance policy they claim to have when even undrafted guys from the practice squad aren't cut immediately after getting a DUI.
Ya I agree. Don't really know how he doesn't get cut back then.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #475
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
@MikeKlis

These punishments won't affect the Broncos as an organization muchif at all. I'm sure Fox has Brookings number in case of emergency.

Matt Russell is real, real lucky.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote