The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default You make the call - where the cops right or wrong or a little of both?

Watch the entire video, then comment. Keep in mind, as with any video, you only have a partial idea of all that may have happened.

This is a tough one to call. A few variables we don't know. Was the stand off still going strong, which shooting back and forth, or was it merely being wrapped up at this point. I have to think the latter, why would 3 police offers be standing straight up and in a group, not taking cover if the stand off was still going strong. So I think it either must have been wrapped up or they were so far away from the action, maybe at the end of a street to keep patrons a safe and far distance.

I have no problems with the guy recording police. But they may have been merely trying to make sure no patrons were getting close or staying close to the situation. But I don't think that was the case since the dude was standing there for so long. But I lay part of the blame on this guy. It's a house robbery and there is a stand off. That is not the time to be asking active officers who are trying to control the situation on why there are no black cops. Maybe none were in the area that could respond to the call. Who the hell knows. But we do know that guy was probably not making the smartest call. If there was no robbery and stand off and it was just 3 cops doing nothing and they walked up to him because he was simply recording them, then yeah, that's a huge issue and the cops should just let it be.

Now to the dog issue. My first question would be, obviously before the cuffed him, either the police or the guy was allowed to put his dog in the car. We're talking about a Rottweiler here. Could nobody see that the window were practically rolled at least half way down. Any fool with common sense would know that a dog could escape through the window.

So here's the tough call n the dog, and again this goes back to, not having known the full situation. No video on who put the dog in the car. If the cops let the guy put his dog in the car and the dude didn't roll up his windows, then the dog getting out was on him. I don't think anybody faults the cops for the actual shooting of the dog. They gave it a chance, the dog made several advances and they did not shoot it, and finally it made too many and tried to bite and officer and it got put down. Now if it was the cops who put the dog in the car, which I doubt, because they probably would not want to try and handle the dog, they should have seen the windows, and then the shooting is on them.

And last, I thought at first they officers, after shooting the dog a few times, and watching it in agony, should have put one more in his head to end the suffering. But shooting a gun has big consequences sometimes. If a final shot would have maybe ricocheted off the curb or something and injured somebody, that would have been viewed as foolish.

Hard to pass judgement on if this all should have been prevented or not, but so much would depend on if that stand off was still live or if they had it wrapped up and this was the mere end of it.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Que
Gettin' some

Just the tip

I normally am the first one to blame the cops but I have zero issue with them shooting the dog.
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
BroncoSojia
Go Broncos

Thanks Champ for the past 10 years

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bey Bey Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que View Post
I normally am the first one to blame the cops but I have zero issue with them shooting the dog.
Couldn't they have just tasered the dog?

That was a bit hard to watch.
BroncoSojia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Bottom line, dude minds his business and goes home vs trying to look like a big shot and that never happens to his buddy. From the police point of view, they dont know what this guy is up to and a dog like that could be considered menacing. I feel really bad for the dog. It was doing what it thought was right. Too bad the owner didn't have comparable brain cells to just GTFO. Rip dog.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

This is all over facebook. Pretty sure the dog owner caused this to happen from the sounds of it.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
huh??
Back in the 5280!

...pretty good at lurking.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Maybe the cops were ordered to clear the entire block area. The video was filmed from across the street. That dude and his dog were antagonizing the police during a tense and potentially deadly situation. If he was supposed to clear to the other side of the street and refused to, he could be arrested for endangerment and interfering with police business.

There are too many unknowns. The chick behind the desk got really annoying. She was really overdoing the armchair QB thing.

The bottom line is: Life is much easier if you follow simple rules. If cops tell you, "Get back", "Stay away", or "Clear the area", just do it.
huh?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #7
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

This all could have been avoided if the guy follows the police orders. I know the dog is protecting his owner but this falls on the owner of the dog.
Was the guy doing something wrong? This is what will be needed to be answered on compensation or not.

Btw, were the cops going to take the guy away and then do what with the dog?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

I would have shot the dog too. Rottweilers are mean dogs and will tear you apart.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #9
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

this incident has been hashed out all over the webzzz and has finally made it to the Mane. The guy with the dog has issues and was trying to get arrested in order to sue the police or something. Unfortunately his dog got shot due to his stupidity. It's hard to watch because the dog really is the victom of a moronic incident that could have totally been avoided.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #10
Johnykbr

I have been told by my cop neighbor (who spells cop G-O-D and is a complete A-Hole) that at the academy they train you to use mace or a tazer when dealing with an incoming dog. However, the dog should have never been in the situation it was in and the owner was begging for this situation to happen. Either way it sucks.

With all that said, my neighbor has bragged about shooting dogs when he felt "threatened."
Old 07-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #11
FlaBroncosFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
I have been told by my cop neighbor (who spells cop G-O-D and is a complete A-Hole) that at the academy they train you to use mace or a tazer when dealing with an incoming dog. However, the dog should have never been in the situation it was in and the owner was begging for this situation to happen. Either way it sucks.

With all that said, my neighbor has bragged about shooting dogs when he felt "threatened."
G-E-D
FlaBroncosFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #12
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
I would have shot the dog too. Rottweilers are mean dogs and will tear you apart.
Total myth. They are incredibly sweet loyal dogs unless you raise and train them to be vicious and violent.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #13
Jay3

If you've got a Rottweiler on a leash, and something is going down that doesn't involve you, you get out of there because you've got a dog to take care of. It's like having a small child -- you can't communicate in speech, and something is happening that you don't know where it's going to go, so you leave the area.

The owner showed a callous disregard for his dog.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #14
DenverBound
Perennial Pro-bowler

CotY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
If you've got a Rottweiler on a leash, and something is going down that doesn't involve you, you get out of there because you've got a dog to take care of. It's like having a small child -- you can't communicate in speech, and something is happening that you don't know where it's going to go, so you leave the area.

Agreed completely. That poor dog obviously cared way more for that stupid human than that stupid human cared for him. Just like having children, you should have to get licensed first. The guy should be taken out and shot. Disgusting.
DenverBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #15
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post

I agree with this. The owner clearly showed himself to be a complete ass, while I don't think the dog did anything to deserve being shot, I can't honestly say it wasn't a justified decision by the officer.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que View Post
Do you have issues with the fact the only reason they were arresting him was for using cell phone to record them?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #17
NorCalBronco7

Dont live too far from where this happened. Not a tough call at all. The dude shouldn't have been provoking the cops and he should have rolled up his window when he put the dog in the car. Nothing else to really say about it...
Old 07-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #18
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Do you have issues with the fact the only reason they were arresting him was for using cell phone to record them?
I've been following this story on other boards and the reason he was arrested is because he was trying to get arrested. He pulled up to the scene with the music blaring from his car, it was very loud. When the cops asked him to turn it down, he said no. His arrest had nothing to do with him using his phone, it had more to do with the loud music coming from his car, causing more of disturbance and creating more distraction for the police.

I'm guessing the reason this guy didn't roll up the windows in his car, after putting the dog in the car, is probably becuase of the loud music blasting away from the car.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #19
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

The dog owner created the situation, therefore the fault is his.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #20
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Total myth. They are incredibly sweet loyal dogs unless you raise and train them to be vicious and violent.
That may very well be true, but one problem is that outside of the dog owner and who ever lives with the dog, people do not know what the dog is capable of. People are not going to know how those dogs are raised, so anytime I see one I'm extremely cautious.

Another thing that I don't like is when people have their dogs off of a leash because they know that their dog is not violent. Yeah, but I don't know that, so keep the dog on a leash when in public.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #21
91BRONCO
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Wow, as an animal lover that was really tough to watch. I would like to hope there was another way to deal with the situation and truly believe there was but what can you do.

I've been attacked and my dogs have been attacked by other dogs not on leashes multiple times as well as when I was a kid delivering papers. It just seems like dude was very quick to pull the trigger of a gun and not try to use a non lethal method first.

Big dogs can be scary and intimidating but to me it looked like there was plenty of time to use an alternate means. While the dog came at the officer, he also took his time to get there and once there backed off at least once. Add in the fact that two other officers had control of the suspect and yes, I think he was too quick on the trigger.

As others have mentioned, the true victim is that poor dog.
91BRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #22
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
That may very well be true, but one problem is that outside of the dog owner and who ever lives with the dog, people do not know what the dog is capable of. People are not going to know how those dogs are raised, so anytime I see one I'm extremely cautious.

Another thing that I don't like is when people have their dogs off of a leash because they know that their dog is not violent. Yeah, but I don't know that, so keep the dog on a leash when in public.
You should be cautious of any dog that you don't know not just Rottweilers. There are dozens of breeds that are far more naturally inclined to aggressiveness .

And as far as the leash thing goes, you'll get no disagreement from me. Any dog in public should be on a leash and if you can't control your dog on a leash then it should never be in public until you can be a responsible owner and put in the time and training necessary to desensitize it.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #23
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

There was plenty of cops dealing with the robbery if it had been that intense the cops probably wouldn't even have noticed the guy.... he was a block away. I am ALL for filming cops. I had the cop two houses down from me threaten to shoot my dog (american Stafford shire terrier) if he ever seen her out.my dog is extremely sweet to humans. The cop was so I'll educated on breeds and had the omfg its a pit bull mentality. It was a pretty ugly discussion for a minute.

But I just thinking goes to show. If the cops had been paying attention to the immediate concern the dog would not have been shot. So I find them at fault from the get go. But I am all for the cops shooting a dog if it tries to attack them... I just think the cops regulated it where itndidnt need to be

Last edited by Broncos_OTM; 07-05-2013 at 01:10 PM..
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #24
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Fuggin cop should be shot, what a b**** move
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #25
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

There was no need to shoot the dog. The dog was confused but not in full attack mode and could have been easily redirected. The cops could have told the owner to restrain his dog they never gave him a chance. I will bet dollars to doughnuts the cop that shot the dog is afraid of dogs.

THE COP THAT KILLED THE DOG SHOULD NOT BE TRUSTED WITH A FIREARM, HE CLEARLY IS NOT ABLE TO HANDLE THE RESPONSIBILITY

SERVE AND PROTECT - MY ASS.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote