The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #51
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
The GOP obsession with scandals won't help them until they starting delivering a message voters want to get behind.

Reagan once said something along the lines of "Conservatism only works in conjunction with Optimism"

Does anything about the GOP sound optimistic? Repeal Heathcare protections, self Deportation, the makers versus takers, piling on the poor- the most vulnerable among us... The 47 perecent

They still don't get it...
It all starts with one person. Sad to say, but that's the nature of national politics. It shouldn't be, but it is. There may be 30 Congressmen from either party offering messages of optimism, but it's all just noise in the wilderness. That kind of message can only really be delivered by a Reagan or an Obama. It has to be someone in a position to capture the nation's attention in a way members of Congress can't (or don't)

And for the most part, we don't have any idea who's on deck for that in the next few years. We really need the right person for the right time to come along, as has happened time and again throughout our history.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #52
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I'm willing to admit repubs have big problems in the party. Really big ones. The only bright spot really is the 30 repub governors some with great approval ratings. The repub nominee has to be a governor or they wont stand a chance.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #53
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Repubs should put 2 popular Governors on the same ticket. Both from states they need to win that they lost last time.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #54
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I'm willing to admit repubs have big problems in the party. Really big ones. The only bright spot really is the 30 repub governors some with great approval ratings. The repub nominee has to be a governor or they wont stand a chance.
The first step to recovery.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #55
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

yeah but coming from anyone still trumpeting the liberals and obama it rings softly Denverbrit. Obama has lost all credibility and nothing he has done is working well.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #56
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
yeah but coming from anyone still trumpeting the liberals and obama it rings softly Denverbrit. Obama has lost all credibility and nothing he has done is working well.
Why is it that when disagreeing with the GOP, people get painted as liberal Obama supporters?

Newsflash! The world isn't made up of only partisan sheep, some of us actually have independent opinions and think for ourselves.

Which of the two parties are fiscally conservative/responsible, want minimum government interference and are socially liberal?

It's not the Democrats or GOP. Both parties bring some policies that makes sense, but not so much in this political climate.

The system is broken and slavish devotion to either party just encourages them.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #57
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
A big part of Obama's failure has been the GOP's concerted effort to destroy his presidency with complete disregard for the well being of this country. Face it. Obama couldn't get an appointment for dog catcher past this Congress.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #58
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
I find it hard to believe that if there was no wrongdoing, the head of the IRS would plead the 5th. Now, she's asking for immunity to talk about all the 'nothing wrong' she didn't do, er something.

No scandal, my arse...
You clearly don't understand the point of the 5th.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #59
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
A big part of Obama's failure has been the GOP's concerted effort to destroy his presidency with complete disregard for the well being of this country. Face it. Obama couldn't get an appointment for dog catcher past this Congress.
really his biggest failures are foreign policy, taxes, spending, and Obamacare. What appointments that go through would have helped?
Old 07-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #60
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Face it. Obama couldn't get an
appointment for dog catcher past this Congress.

I'm guessing you fail to remember his unconstitutional recess appointments that he made....
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #61
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
You clearly don't understand the point of the 5th.
how can you incriminate your self if you "did nothing wrong"?

but now I know what to tell the IRS if they audit me.....
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #62
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
how can you incriminate your self if you "did nothing wrong"?

but now I know what to tell the IRS if they audit me.....
Oh look, another goon that doesn't understand the 5th or the reality of our legal system. The 5th is NOT there to keep guilty people from incriminating themselves.

Here's a good start,a law professor and a policeman explaining the situation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
Old 07-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #63
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Oh look, another goon that doesn't understand the 5th or the reality of our legal system. The 5th is NOT there to keep guilty people from incriminating themselves.

Here's a good start,a law professor and a policeman explaining the situation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
Yeah, totally. The 5th is actually designed to not have to tell your boss who effed up when the **** hits the fan. Nobody needs to know who's responsible. When your agency does something illegal or immoral, you simply plead the fif and take your paid vacation like a boss.

Man is our government out of control...
Old 07-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #64
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Yeah, totally. The 5th is actually designed to not have to tell your boss who effed up when the **** hits the fan. Nobody needs to know who's responsible. When your agency does something illegal or immoral, you simply plead the fif and take your paid vacation like a boss.

Man is our government out of control...
So employees of the federal government don't/shouldn't have equal protection under the law, eh?
Old 07-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #65
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
really his biggest failures are foreign policy, taxes, spending, and Obamacare.
You don't understand foreign policy enough to make that judgement.
How has he "failed" on taxes?
How has he "failed" on spending, any more than previous administrations?
Obamacare isn't far enough along to call it a "failure".
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #66
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
You don't understand foreign policy enough to make that judgement.
How has he "failed" on taxes?
How has he "failed" on spending, any more than previous administrations?
Obamacare isn't far enough along to call it a "failure".
cuts' just like one of them birthers,no matter the evidence he'll claim Obama is a failure. You got to remember cut is a GWB apologist/supporter.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #67
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
So employees of the federal government don't/shouldn't have equal protection under the law, eh?
The 5th amendment protects against self-incrimination. The key word there being incrimination. It does not protect your job. It is a criminal defense.

There is no excuse for continuing to employ an employee who refuses to testify as to what happened in the execution of their duties for fear it might open them to criminal prosecution. I'm not saying she doesn't have the right to invoke it (again for fear of prosecution) But doing so should be grounds for immediate dismissal. And would be treated that way in any case outside of big government.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #68
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
The 5th amendment protects against self-incrimination. The key word there being incrimination. It does not protect your job. It is a criminal defense.

There is no excuse for continuing to employ an employee who refuses to testify as to what happened in the execution of their duties for fear it might open them to criminal prosecution. I'm not saying she doesn't have the right to invoke it (again for fear of prosecution) But doing so should be grounds for immediate dismissal. And would be treated that way in any case outside of big government.
The 5th isn't what protects her employment. It's actually federal case law, in particular the "Garrity Rights" which have been in place since the 60s:

http://www.garrityrights.org/basics.html

The summary is, that since a public's employee's employer is the government, any attempt to force testimony -- including threat of termination -- is a violation of the 5th amendment.

Now, we can agree or disagree with those laws, but we're talking about the application and purpose of the 5th amendment here, and what invoking the 5th does or does not say about the person invoking it.

Do try to stay on topic bub.

Last edited by Fedaykin; 07-05-2013 at 12:38 PM..
Old 07-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #69
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
No worries, he will just Executive Order it.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #70
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
No worries, he will just Executive Order it.
If you go by polling data, this is the worse Congress America has ever had. The president has a duty to govern, and half the frigging Congress is opposed to our form of government. I'm not an Obama supporter, but what the hell would any president do in this situation?
Old 07-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #71
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
I'm guessing you fail to remember his unconstitutional recess appointments that he made....
If a minority in the Congress can stop an up or down vote on any appointment, and gleefully abuses that power, what should a president do? Just allow government to come to a halt?
Old 07-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #72
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
If you go by polling data, this is the worse Congress America has ever had. The president has a duty to govern, and half the frigging Congress is opposed to our form of government. I'm not an Obama supporter, but what the hell would any president do in this situation?
transparency as promised. He has taken the Executive Order route where it seems it is like a dictatorship personality.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #73
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
transparency as promised. He has taken the Executive Order route where it seems it is like a dictatorship personality.
Presidents constitutional right,you think Obama is the first president to use executive order.

Last edited by peacepipe; 07-05-2013 at 05:46 PM..
Old 07-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #74
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Presidents constitutional right,you think Obama is the first president to use executive order.
Absolutely not. I know many presidents use it and higher than Obama who might not use it as much as many presidents in recent history. I am comparing his talk of transparency with using executive orders. During war, it is used and I understand it. Maybe it is some of the items that he has done with executive orders that I don't like personally. Many important subjects like Immigration should be spoken in the halls of congress and out front for all to see.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #75
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Absolutely not. I know many presidents use it and higher than Obama who might not use it as much as many presidents in recent history. I am comparing his talk of transparency with using executive orders. During war, it is used and I understand it. Maybe it is some of the items that he has done with executive orders that I don't like personally. Many important subjects like Immigration should be spoken in the halls of congress and out front for all to see.
There isn't a rulebook that says it only can be used here & there. He's not doing them in secret,from gun control to immigration he has announced publicly what executive orders he was doing.