The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
Conklin
Ring of Famer

Default DOMA IS DEAD!

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/news/sup...140330141.html
Conklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Sad day for the mouth-breathers.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

The Prop 8 decision (lack of) is the one that effectively ends direct democracy. DOMA was a joke from the beginning, although Clinton will probably be seen today saying something like, 'I KNEW it was bad law and would eventually be overturned, which is why I signed it into law.'
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
The Prop 8 decision (lack of) is the one that effectively ends direct democracy. DOMA was a joke from the beginning, although Clinton will probably be seen today saying something like, 'I KNEW it was bad law and would eventually be overturned, which is why I signed it into law.'
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Slick Willie never heard a tune he couldn't dance to.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Holy ****, when I saw the title, I thought it said "Doom is dead."

Is it wrong that I assumed he whipped out a gun in B-more and got shot up?

As for the legislation... looks like it's the end of marriage and civilization, because as my grandmother says - every great civilization's downfall coincided with the acceptance of homosexuals. /sarc
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

This ruling strikes down section 3 of DOMA. The states can still decide to recognize or not recognize gay marriage, but the Federal Government must recognize these marriages. This is the proper ruling from a states rights perspective. Kennedy seems to think gay americans should be a protected class, which is complete nonsense IMO.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Now switch hitters can go plow their face into some penis legally, anytime they like. Tis a good day for them!
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Seems like a good ruling once again proving the conservatives will vote with minds and liberals just tow the line.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
This ruling strikes down section 3 of DOMA. The states can still decide to recognize or not recognize gay marriage, but the Federal Government must recognize these marriages. This is the proper ruling from a states rights perspective. Kennedy seems to think gay americans should be a protected class, which is complete nonsense IMO.
Its incredible how quickly the tide has turned on the opinion of gay marriage. I assume most states will allow it sooner than later.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #11
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Seems like a good ruling once again proving the conservatives will vote with minds and liberals just tow the line.
The 4 conservative justices didnt agree with the ruling...what are you talking about?
Old 06-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #12
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

DOMA was flawed from the beginning but as Smiling Assassine points out, it's the Supreme Courts decision to uphold the lower courts overruling on Prop 8 that is the ball buster. On one hand the Supreme Court is saying "It's a state issue" but then they are saying "Unless a federal court doesn't like how a state votes, then we can overrule the people." This does effectively end democracy.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #13
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
The 4 conservative justices didnt agree with the ruling...what are you talking about?
On DOMA it was a typical split with Kennedy deciding, but genrally and to Cuts point...the "conservative" justices will sometimes side with the "liberal" justices. Where the "liberal" Justices almost never side with the "conservative" justices.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #14
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I'm actually a conservative that agreed with this. I think the Federal government should have to recognize the states rights on their respective representations. For me, the gay marriage aspect is peripheral to the broader issue which is how a union is defined at the state level and whether the Feds can choose to ignore that definition based on their own criteria. I think the only way to do it is allow the states to decide and take everything they approve. It's the most democratic way to do so.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #15
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I'm actually a conservative that agreed with this. I think the Federal government should have to recognize the states rights on their respective representations. For me, the gay marriage aspect is peripheral to the broader issue which is how a union is defined at the state level and whether the Feds can choose to ignore that definition based on their own criteria. I think the only way to do it is allow the states to decide and take everything they approve. It's the most democratic way to do so.
Exactly.

This is really a tax case in a number of ways. Had the IRS recognized the female spouse of a woman for estate tax credits this might have never made it to the SCoTUS. IMO these tax credits shouldn't exist, but whatever.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #16
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
, what about Prop 8? CA citizens voted to recognize traditional marriage and the federal court in San Fan said 'no' and this was a homosexual judge who struck down Prop 8. Now the SC is saying "that's ok."
Old 06-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #17
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
, what about Prop 8? CA citizens voted to recognize traditional marriage and the federal court in San Fan said 'no' and this was a homosexual judge who struck down Prop 8. Now the SC is saying "that's ok."
That's correct. Now I don't know if that overrules the Cally State SC, but it sounds like it does.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Sometimes decency wins out. And, if you recall, Prop 8 had tons of out of state funding behind it, which wasn't exactly kosher either.

To me, the issue of gay marriage is old. The argument is over. The majority of the public agrees with it, and now government is coming around to it.

next.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #19
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #20
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
The majority of the public agrees with it
next.
That's not true.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #21
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Sometimes decency wins out. And, if you recall, Prop 8 had tons of out of state funding behind it, which wasn't exactly kosher either.

To me, the issue of gay marriage is old. The argument is over. The majority of the public agrees with it, and now government is coming around to it.

next.
love the liberal answer to democracy--it works only when you vote the way WE want. Otherwise, we will use the courts to force our agenda down your throat.

If Prop 8 was enacted to lock up gays and lesbians and outlaw homosexuality then you would have a point. But it's supporting traditional marriage which in now way harms the homosexual community. The majority of CA voted for it, including real minorities.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
DOMA was flawed from the beginning but as Smiling Assassine points out, it's the Supreme Courts decision to uphold the lower courts overruling on Prop 8 that is the ball buster. On one hand the Supreme Court is saying "It's a state issue" but then they are saying "Unless a federal court doesn't like how a state votes, then we can overrule the people." This does effectively end democracy.
The basis of our federalism is that the states can dole out more rights than the Constitution provides for, but they cannot restrict any protected rights. The SCOTUS is saying the California statute is unconstitutionally restrictive. That's what they're supposed to do.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #23
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
love the liberal answer to democracy--it works only when you vote the way WE want. Otherwise, we will use the courts to force our agenda down your throat.

If Prop 8 was enacted to lock up gays and lesbians and outlaw homosexuality then you would have a point. But it's supporting traditional marriage which in now way harms the homosexual community. The majority of CA voted for it, including real minorities.
Obviously it causes some sort of moral harm to them, otherwise they wouldn't give a ****. Get on the right side of history.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #24
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
That's not true.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_..._United_States
Old 06-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #25
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

Stop acting like your rights are infringed upon. We live in a ****ing society, sometimes you have to make sacrifices. And stop making it seem like the conservative side is some bastion of FREEDOMS. See: abortion rights. Seems like you want big government when it pleases you too. And both sides don't seem to mind it when it comes to national security.