The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #76
jayman_37
Seasoned Veteran

I have a question for you those of you that have/are cutting the cable. I am really seriously considering cutting the cable out as well, and I was wondering if you know of any good ways to record on my tv, like a DVR, so that if I am gone for the first half of a broncos game I can record it and catch up when I get home.
jayman_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #77
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

I plan to do this. This might help others out there who do not care for cable/directv/etc.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6035038-Preo...Sunday-ticket?
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:44 PM   #78
Harvitz81
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

I cut the cable about a year and a half ago.

Settled on a jailbroken apple tv 2 with XBMC installed. Honestly between 1-channel, navi-x, and ice films there is nothing I miss and everything is basically on demand.

I also have a sports devil package that picks up streams from the usuals we watch online and it is decent.

HD antenna to get the big 3-4 networks and I'm not really missing anything. Really live sports is the only thing that "sometimes" I can't get in great resolution. Sports bar at that point, but I enjoy the $120 I was shelling out to DTv so much more.
Harvitz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #79
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvitz81 View Post
I cut the cable about a year and a half ago.

Settled on a jailbroken apple tv 2 with XBMC installed. Honestly between 1-channel, navi-x, and ice films there is nothing I miss and everything is basically on demand.

I also have a sports devil package that picks up streams from the usuals we watch online and it is decent.

HD antenna to get the big 3-4 networks and I'm not really missing anything. Really live sports is the only thing that "sometimes" I can't get in great resolution. Sports bar at that point, but I enjoy the $120 I was shelling out to DTv so much more.
I actually sold my apple tv 2's for $200+ a piece. Bought apple 3's and as you said only "live sports" is the problem. But, there are always workarounds and I don't watch a lot of tv as is. I'm already on Netflix for free the past year and same with Amazon prime instant video. So i'm not missing anything important to me.

I think it's really a lifestyle choice. If you watch a ton of tv, you're going to go for the cable/sat programming. Me, I do not. Hence, what's the point.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #80
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
I've been off it for a couple years now. I use my playstation 3 for everything:

hulu plus to watch major tv shows - 8$/month
netflix streaming for tv and movies - 8$/month
sunday ticket - $200/year
amazon - about $20/month in movies and tv shows

My internet costs about $50/month

So total I'm spending now about $100/month. Before I was paying $160/month for cable plus was also paying for netflix plus about $10/month on amazon so a total of about $180/month.

I also use a digital antenna to get all major networks (nbc, cbs, abc, pbs, tbs).

Only drawback is that I don't get any espn or sports outside NY, so I go to a bar to watch the important ones.

I love it an will never go back. Not only am I saving a ton of money but we really only watch TV that we want to watch now. No more flipping through hundreds of channels without finding anything worth watching. I just wish I had a better solution than using the cable company for internet, because that keeps going up. If I could stop giving them money entirely, it would be a perfect world.

I'm right there with you. I have Roku and can stream all my News from every major network even international, Pandora and Vevo stations get watched a lot. I have netflix, Amazon and Hulu; altogether with internet I am about $80 a month. I couldn't be happier. We never buy movies off of Amazon as I illegally DL all the ones I need. But we do subscribe to it monthly to get the Prime package.

I watch sports on the internet on those sites that pop up here during games.

I can honestly say I have never had such quality programming and I have never spent less.

Last edited by Bacchus; 07-28-2013 at 11:17 PM..
Old 07-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #81
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

You can watch all the games on your computer if you pay for Sunday Ticket Online. There is a special edition of Madden 25 that comes with a free online Sunday Ticket subscription http://www.amazon.com/Madden-NFL-Ann...ords=madden+25

I'm not sure if they are doing it this year but for the past two years Sunday Ticket has been available on the PS3 but it's kinda pricey.

Or you could just visit one of the free streaming sites that are out there...
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:29 AM   #82
Harvitz81
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
I actually sold my apple tv 2's for $200+ a piece. Bought apple 3's and as you said only "live sports" is the problem. But, there are always workarounds and I don't watch a lot of tv as is. I'm already on Netflix for free the past year and same with Amazon prime instant video. So i'm not missing anything important to me.

I think it's really a lifestyle choice. If you watch a ton of tv, you're going to go for the cable/sat programming. Me, I do not. Hence, what's the point.
Have the ATV 3's been jailbroken yet? I stopped looking after awhile as it seemed they couldn't be.

Really XBMC gets me everything and you can only install that if the ATV3 is jailbroke.

I'm looking at similar google g-box things for my brother to get XBMC on. I honestly don't watch much TV (and neither does his family) so this really works fine for me.
Harvitz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #83
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

More power to ya. You can always get it back if you want it. I am a bit amazed though how some on here complain about paying $150 a month and then decide to cut it all. My god, basic cable is like $39 a month and you get all the locals in HD, a ton of other shows as well. It's only when you start adding all the sport and premiums, plus DVR and multiple boxes that get you. If I was on a budget, sure, I'd get basic and then watch what I could on the internet. Youtube has a ton of full length movies for free. Not to mention some of the premiums you can pay for solo and watch online as well.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:39 AM   #84
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
More power to ya. You can always get it back if you want it. I am a bit amazed though how some on here complain about paying $150 a month and then decide to cut it all. My god, basic cable is like $39 a month and you get all the locals in HD, a ton of other shows as well. It's only when you start adding all the sport and premiums, plus DVR and multiple boxes that get you. If I was on a budget, sure, I'd get basic and then watch what I could on the internet. Youtube has a ton of full length movies for free. Not to mention some of the premiums you can pay for solo and watch online as well.
You also get all the locals in HD with a $15 antenna. Why in the world would you continue to give them $40/month if you don't have to?
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #85
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFanDoug View Post
I don't live in Colorado right now, but have a pretty interesting (and cheap) setup.

My Slingbox lives in Denver at my dad's house. Can watch all the stuff he gets (including all the Bronco games which was the key) through a PC hooked up to a bigscreen. Not in great location for HD antennae but get the majors OK that way. Netflix at $8/month, decent internet for $40 more per month, no cable no dish.
This is a nice option. I have an antenna to pick up the locals, a Roku box with Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime (and MLBtv for the wife), and a Vulkano box (a cheaper slingbox alternative) at my parent's house in Boulder. I also subscribe to NFL Game Rewind, which I use a lot, as I'm not always free to watch the games live. On top of that, my parents in-law are comcast subscribers, and they gave us their Xfinity log in, so we can watch HBO, Showtime, and a bunch of other stuff streaming as well.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #86
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
You can watch all the games on your computer if you pay for Sunday Ticket Online. There is a special edition of Madden 25 that comes with a free online Sunday Ticket subscription http://www.amazon.com/Madden-NFL-Ann...ords=madden+25

I'm not sure if they are doing it this year but for the past two years Sunday Ticket has been available on the PS3 but it's kinda pricey.

Or you could just visit one of the free streaming sites that are out there...
I posted a link a couple posts up talking about this. This applies to computers, tablets, and phones.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #87
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvitz81 View Post
Have the ATV 3's been jailbroken yet? I stopped looking after awhile as it seemed they couldn't be.

Really XBMC gets me everything and you can only install that if the ATV3 is jailbroke.

I'm looking at similar google g-box things for my brother to get XBMC on. I honestly don't watch much TV (and neither does his family) so this really works fine for me.
I believe they aren't, but I haven't checked lately. I will say the apple 3's are snappier and quicker than the apple 2's. I just leave it stock and run through it.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #88
txtebow
WARRIOR

Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeatheist View Post
After suffering through Comcast and then DishNetwork for years, I now have this on the side of my house:

ClearStream 2 HDTV Antenna

and could not be happier. Brings in all my locals and my two favorite, most-watched networks: Antenna-TV and ME-TV and no more monthly bills. Got Netflix streaming on my PS3 (Wii for the kids and a Roku box upstairs) for $8 a month and I'm fully content.
that's awesome!
txtebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #89
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Am I the only one around here who happily pays for cable? I know cord cutting is the hot thing, but it hasn't really made much sense to me yet. Right now I get all the premium channels (HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc), all the sports channels including NFL RedZone, DVR, fast internet, etc for $150 per month. Plus with the Xfinity app I can stream or download any show or movie on my Galaxy S4 or tablet, which has been great for catching up on Dexter while traveling. The only thing I don't get is the Sunday Ticket, but since the Broncos get a lot of primetime games and we still get a lot of games streamed in our market, it's rare for me to have to go to a sports bar.
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #90
Blighty

I stream everything from the internet. Recently downloaded that XBMC which has already been mentioned and that's brilliant, just hope that it'll work well when NFL RedZone is on. I watch a lot of soccer from around Europe, none of which is available on British television so there's really no point in me spending an arm and a leg on a TV package. Everything can be found on the internet. Also it's nice knowing that I'm not tied into a contract as I'd feel I'd have to watch loads to get my money's worth. I'm fat enough as it is.