The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Has anyone cut the cable cord?

So after getting repeatedly ass rammed by Comcast I think I'm done. I'm almost physically ill with anger at how that company remains in business. How their actions are not considered criminal is a travesty.

Anyways, now that my borderline psychotic murderous rant is over, has anyone here done cable-less? I have been thinking about it for awhile. I really only watch AMC, HBO, sports and some random shows here and there.

My main question is how do I watch all of these sports I want to see? I had a lot more to ask but I forgot in my blind rage. I will edit later.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
I live in a condo in downtown Nashville. No dish for me.

I only have Comcast as an option.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I have. Have had Comcast forever and never had a problem until last year. My son had a new place and was getting Comcast and found that they were charging me for two premium channels and I only had one. This happened a year before when I went with one of their triple packages and it changed after a year to my previous price.

I called and actually just wanted to get rid of the premium channel. Don't watch them very much at all. So this guy tells me he can give me all the premium channels, 3 dvrs for only 17 more dollars per month. I had disabled friend living with me at the time and thought it would be nice for him till he got better. I made sure to ask if this was a one year deal, no, and if I had to pay any installation, no. This was to make up for over charging me for a year.

Well, my bill comes, it's 40 more dollars and I also get installation fees for $400. I consider this partly my fault, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. I call and get no where. Tell them the guys name and they say the order shows just an operator which means that guy either doesn't work for them anymore or has moved to a new position. They keep telling me what I'm paying is correct for what I'm getting. They thought I was nuts and by that time I was. I did end up keeping what I have but am charged $50 less but they would not refund the $400. I am still mad but Direct TV overall sucks more. 3 of my kids have had it and got rid of it as soon as their contract was up. I can't give cable up, primarily because of the sports.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
orangeatheist
Champion of the Godless

After suffering through Comcast and then DishNetwork for years, I now have this on the side of my house:

ClearStream 2 HDTV Antenna

and could not be happier. Brings in all my locals and my two favorite, most-watched networks: Antenna-TV and ME-TV and no more monthly bills. Got Netflix streaming on my PS3 (Wii for the kids and a Roku box upstairs) for $8 a month and I'm fully content.
orangeatheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
Tim

When my contract for cable, internet, and phone is up in sept, I'm not renewing. Screw them I have better things to blow 150 a month on.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Yeah Comcast is pretty bad. I have DirecTV for TV, century link for internet and phone.... the condo in Grand Lake has Comcast Xfinity.

They're about the same price... Century Link has a little faster internet but I'm sure that has everything to do with the location of the router in Grand Lake.

But I love DirecTV. I record games and tv shows, rent my movies through it. The only show I really watch on-demand is Inside Amy Schumer, so I can't speak for the on-demand aspect.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

I've been off it for a couple years now. I use my playstation 3 for everything:

hulu plus to watch major tv shows - 8$/month
netflix streaming for tv and movies - 8$/month
sunday ticket - $200/year
amazon - about $20/month in movies and tv shows

My internet costs about $50/month

So total I'm spending now about $100/month. Before I was paying $160/month for cable plus was also paying for netflix plus about $10/month on amazon so a total of about $180/month.

I also use a digital antenna to get all major networks (nbc, cbs, abc, pbs, tbs).

Only drawback is that I don't get any espn or sports outside NY, so I go to a bar to watch the important ones.

I love it an will never go back. Not only am I saving a ton of money but we really only watch TV that we want to watch now. No more flipping through hundreds of channels without finding anything worth watching. I just wish I had a better solution than using the cable company for internet, because that keeps going up. If I could stop giving them money entirely, it would be a perfect world.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

I have been out for a few years. Watch way less TV. And don't miss it at all
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #10
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Godspeed DMan.

You're fighting the good fight that I'm too lazy to even try.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #11
Drunken.Broncoholic

I have Comcast and get freebies/discounts everytime I complain. This last complaint landed me 2 free HD boxes for a year. Free premium channels(hbo show) for 6 months. HD fee wiped off for a year and sports package included for a year.

All cause I complained about my picture turning mosaic just a couple times.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I love Comcast.

$80/mo for internet, all the channels I need (Including HBO, Redzone, and NFLN). Can't beat it.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #13
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
I've been off it for a couple years now. I use my playstation 3 for everything:

hulu plus to watch major tv shows - 8$/month
netflix streaming for tv and movies - 8$/month
sunday ticket - $200/year
amazon - about $20/month in movies and tv shows

My internet costs about $50/month

So total I'm spending now about $100/month. Before I was paying $160/month for cable plus was also paying for netflix plus about $10/month on amazon so a total of about $180/month.

I also use a digital antenna to get all major networks (nbc, cbs, abc, pbs, tbs).

Only drawback is that I don't get any espn or sports outside NY, so I go to a bar to watch the important ones.

I love it an will never go back. Not only am I saving a ton of money but we really only watch TV that we want to watch now. No more flipping through hundreds of channels without finding anything worth watching. I just wish I had a better solution than using the cable company for internet, because that keeps going up. If I could stop giving them money entirely, it would be a perfect world.
$60 is a ton of money
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #14
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Directv for tv, century link for internet. Im pretty sure when I move back east I am going to skip out on dish or cable and just get internet/phone. I use Netflix and Amazon Prime for movies. If I get a digital antenna I can pick up cbs/nbc/abc. Nearly all the shows I watch are already on Amazon or Netflix.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #15
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
I have been out for a few years. Watch way less TV. And don't miss it at all
Who needs TV when you have Ghostbusters: Director's Cut on Blu Ray.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #16
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I cut the cord. We use Netflix and XBMC. I am, however, considering going back to DirecTV for NFL Direct Ticket. But maybe not. Now that Manning is our QB, we get almost every game locally, and the few that we don't get, it wouldn't be anything for me to pop over to a local bar to see.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #17
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I have Comcast and get freebies/discounts everytime I complain. This last complaint landed me 2 free HD boxes for a year. Free premium channels(hbo show) for 6 months. HD fee wiped off for a year and sports package included for a year.

All cause I complained about my picture turning mosaic just a couple times.
I was going to say that. Sounds trivial to some but I do the same thing. I'll complain about a few things and get my HBO and SHO free for 3 months.

The other thing I mention, I save other places. I stopped drinking soda. I don't eat fast food much at all these days. So I figure I save in other places to cover my cable
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #18
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

I cut the cord a little over a year ago. Couldn't be happier.

$8 Netflix with a Roku, and also have an HDHomerun to use as a free DVR to record Broncos games. $25/month Century Link internet with no contract.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #19
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post

You do have another option... Sell your condo and move.

Next problem
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:59 AM   #20
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
$60 is a ton of money
Welcome to NYC.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #21
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Haven't had cable or dish for over 3 years and also don't miss it. Granted, I do spend a fair amount of time online but little of it is spent watching TV shows. The ones I do want to watch I can usually get for free with a maximum of two google searches. Seriously considering buying a big big TV and getting that free Sunday Ticket and DirecTV for this season, though. I think if ever there were a reason to go all out.. this would be it.

But back to TV. Honestly, aside from sports, i couldn't imagine sitting on my couch long enough to warrant the monthly fee...and I live in Wisconsin where it's basically indoor living for 3 months out of the year.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:20 AM   #22
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine

Quote:

Couldn't you put the stand on your balcony? I know they will not let you attach it to the building but they have sleds or tripods that can not be attached..
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #23
sisterhellfyre
Some days it's not worth

fighting the clowns under my bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeatheist View Post
Brings in all my locals and my two favorite, most-watched networks: Antenna-TV and ME-TV and no more monthly bills. Got Netflix streaming on my PS3 (Wii for the kids and a Roku box upstairs) for $8 a month and I'm fully content.
We did the same thing at our place, orangeatheist. We have a DSL line for Netflix & Hulu, an Ooma device for VOIP landline phone service, and an indoor HDTV antenna.

We only had the most basic level of cable channels (not even including ESPN), plus Internet & phone. Even so we cut our monthly bill in half, from $130 to about $65. The Ooma unit cost about $150 up front, but it's paid for itself a couple times over (since last September).

I don't watch much for sports other than football, so I'm not missing anything most of the year. I can always visit the local sports bar if there's a game I want to see that's not on broadcast.
sisterhellfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:47 AM   #24
B-Large

Quote:
So after getting repeatedly ass rammed by Comcast I think I'm done. I'm almost physically ill with anger at how that company remains in business. How their actions are not considered criminal is a travesty.

Anyways, now that my borderline psychotic murderous rant is over, has anyone here done cable-less? I have been thinking about it for awhile. I really only watch AMC, HBO, sports and some random shows here and there.

My main question is how do I watch all of these sports I want to see? I had a lot more to ask but I forgot in my blind rage. I will edit later.
We've had an antenna for 6 years, and we stream from Netflix.... So, 8.00/month verss the 150 we used to pay.... So what almost 11,000 dollars saved....

We don't have espn, we don't have AMC, you have to stream or go so where for the draft... You also don't get MNF unless its the Broncos.... Meh, don't miss any of it- just go a sports bar if there is something I really want to watch...

Kill it... You can always go back to the trough
Old 06-25-2013, 06:51 AM   #25
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBroncosJM View Post
Couldn't you put the stand on your balcony? I know they will not let you attach it to the building but they have sleds or tripods that can not be attached..
Unfortunately the building was built in 1927, so no balcony for me.

I called again and I got one of the 2 helpful people in the company. He dropped my price by $10 and gave me all the premium channels for free and a new modem. It's crazy they can do this. It shows how much they eff 90% of their customers.

I do see no cable in my future though. The biggest thing I'm scared of is not being able to lay around on s Saturday or Sunday and flip through games.